Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pedigree Confusion

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
Hep Kat'mun told us to bring pets and gold to the morphing tent and they would create a superior ceature (least that is how I remember it). How is it I can end up with a new pet whose pedigree is lower than the parents?

A few examples where I own both parents, to be sure of stats.

lv65 (1st gen) coconut crawlie 244(81) & lv65 (1st gen) lion fish 236(62) = coconut crawlie 177(0)
lv65 (2nd gen) celestial dragon 265(61) & lv42 (1st gen) tawny sky turtle 224(41) = tawny sky turtle 206(0), lv65 (2nd gen) celestial dragon 265(61) & lv42 (1st gen) tawny sky turtle 224(41) = celestrial dragon 206(0)

Is this supposed to happen?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Just Another Pirat... on Sep 26, 2014 wrote:
Hep Kat'mun told us to bring pets and gold to the morphing tent and they would create a superior ceature (least that is how I remember it). How is it I can end up with a new pet whose pedigree is lower than the parents?

A few examples where I own both parents, to be sure of stats.

lv65 (1st gen) coconut crawlie 244(81) & lv65 (1st gen) lion fish 236(62) = coconut crawlie 177(0)
lv65 (2nd gen) celestial dragon 265(61) & lv42 (1st gen) tawny sky turtle 224(41) = tawny sky turtle 206(0), lv65 (2nd gen) celestial dragon 265(61) & lv42 (1st gen) tawny sky turtle 224(41) = celestrial dragon 206(0)

Is this supposed to happen?
Hi there! One thing to keep in mind is that pedigree # isn't exactly a sure-fire determining factor of the resulting pedigree # of the newly morphed pet-- especially when dealing w/ lower pedigrees & especially if both parents are lower in pedigree.

The expressed talents/powers/grants, or manifested pedigree, on the current pets play a big roll in determining the newly morphed pet's own pedigree, especially for lower pedigree pets. Meaning that the powers, talents & grants already shown on the parent pets make up the manifested or expressed pedigree. You may have a 400 pedigree pet that has only had common or uncommon traits show up so far for that pet. If you morph it with another 400 pedigree pet that has mostly lower traits expressed, chances are the pedigree of the offspring may actually go down.

When I try to work on building pedigree via talents/powers/grants, I attempt to use pets that have already expressed really good traits-- for both parents, because they should transfer to the new pet & help raise the overall pedigree of that new pet. They may not manifest themselves on the new pet, but they will be in that pet's bloodline and can get passed to other pets. Each rank of power & talent is assigned a number that adds up to overall pedigree. I believe the points assigned for the ranks are:
(This info comes from this post by Milt on Central)

Common=1 point
Uncommon=10 points
Rare=20 points
Ultra-Rare=30 points
Epic=40 points

So if the # for pedigree is, for example- 400(90), this means that the pet's overall pedigree is 400, yet it's manifested or currently expressed pedigree is 90, based upon adding up the points from the different ranks of traits already expressed. For ex.- one possible combo may be, 1 Epic power (40), 2 Rare Talents (20 x2) & 1 Uncommon (10) trait already expressed: 40+40+10=90, out of a possible 400 pedigree.

Since most expressed traits get passed on from first generation pets, it is better to morph w/ one that has already expressed quality higher ranked powers & talents. Once you get over that 600 pedigree threshold, you have pretty much 'weeded' out lower ranked powers/talents (commons/uncommons) so chances of maintaining or improving pedigree is greater. Based on powers & talents in the bloodline, you will hit a pedigree cap or ceiling unless you can introduce some newer high-ranked traits. But that will probably require a lot of work & dropping down a ways in pedigree in order to build it back up.

So when morphing on your own, try to start w/ 1st gen. pets w/, high-rank traits already expressed & then mix in other powers/ranks once that pet hits adult. Just looking at the number of the pedigree won't always produce an increase in pedigree. Or if just increasing the pedigree number is what you are after, morph your lower pedigree pet w/ someone who already has a really high pedigree pet. Train that pet to adult & then repeat the process. Eventually you will reach the pedigree cap for that bloodline.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
Well phooey, as careful as I tried to be in the first post I still managed to put in typos. Do wish this forum had a preview feature before hitting submit, easier to catch the typos for me that way. (I need to pay more attention to spacing to make things readable too!)

Anyway, the celestial dragon in the first post was only lv46. It is a child of my first (quest reward) celestial dragon who is lv65 216(72) and I was morphing with both trying for the paper dragon. Which I did get on my 12th try with a pedigree of 245(0) from the 2nd gen celestial dragon and 1st gen tawny sky turtle.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
@ ValkoorTheVictorious
Thanks for the info, that is the kind of thing I am wondering about.

My project I am wondering if I am barking up the wrong tree or not is trying to 'refine' the expressed talents/powers within a pure breed. What I am working with are Skarakeet descendants. I was very bummed my skarakeet expressed a much better pedigree on test than what I ended up with when the advanced pets came to live. Not like I can get another Skarakeet and try again.

What I have done is morph my skarakeet with my spouse's skarakeet (who ended up with a better pedigree and I can't remember now if it was up to lv60 at the time or not) and of course I am now working with "purebred" skull island macaws. This is what I have so far...

1. Prince Daisy 265(61) - original Skarakeet. Rare - Second Chance 1. Uncommon - Enfeebling Shriek, Toxic Touch, Virulent Claws, Loyal 1. Common - Naturally Spirited 1.
  2. Princess Moose 265(91) - SI Macaw, child of Prince Daisy and spouse's skarakeet. Ultra-rare - Bloodsucker 2. Rare- Enhanced Damage 2, Rouse. Uncommon - Toxic Touch, Virulent Claws. Common - Extra Gutsy 1.
  3. Old Missy 265(90) Still lv59 and not gotten last power yet. - SI Macaw, child of Princess Moose & Prince Daisy. Ultra-rare - Grants Triton's Song. Rare - Poisonous 1, Enhanced Damage 2. Uncommon - Toxic Touch, Loyal 1.

Not sure if I am doing anything but rearranging what talents/powers express since the basic pedigree is unchanged. My other question would be if I wanted to pass on a specific talent/power to a different pet would I need to make sure I used as parent stock the one who had the skill or will any of them work? Say I wanted Bloodsucker 2 on a shark, would it be necessary to use Princess Moose or will any of them work?

Other project is to build a healing pet once I figure out what the heck I am doing.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
I’m having similar problems, it seems no matter what combination of pets I try I can’t get the max pedigree value to increase. I tried numerous combinations (primary using level 65 pets) but every time the max pedigree ends up the same or lower than either of the two parents.

I’ve seen a few pets running around with pedigree greater than 400 and a couple in the 600s. All the guides on the internet (those that I could find) suggest that it’s only partly random if the pedigree goes up or down, so either I’m having really bad luck (not surprising for me in this game) or I’m missing something.

Taking Valkoor’s comments above into consideration, last night I tried with pets that already had Epic powers expressed, but this didn’t seem to make any difference.

What am I missing? It’s possibly something quite simple and/or obvious J

PS: I also seen a few posts about people selling pets at the bazaar, something that now that I have heaps of unwanted pets seems like a good idea. However, I couldn’t find an option on the bazaar to do this, where these people lying/confused or once again is there something obvious that I’m missing?

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
Well what do you now, it must had just been bad luck.

First attempt tonight and I finally get a increase!

Ram-Oh-Lam 275(71) + Tropical Sky Snake 265(101) = Tropical Sky Snake 323.

First time in too many attempts to count that I got the pedigree to increase :)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Logansan on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
Well what do you now, it must had just been bad luck.

First attempt tonight and I finally get a increase!

Ram-Oh-Lam 275(71) + Tropical Sky Snake 265(101) = Tropical Sky Snake 323.

First time in too many attempts to count that I got the pedigree to increase :)
Hey Logansan, congrats on your new, higher pedigree pet. It can be a tad bit frustrating because training pets and transferring traits is a continuous work in progress. It may take a dozen tries to get a new trait to transfer into an offspring's bloodline, or it may happen right away. An increase in pedigree basically just means that you successfully transferred better traits (higher ranked grants/powers/talents) from the parents into the offspring. It doesn't always happen though-- especially the first few tries.

Just as you can take 2 parents and morph them together 10 different times and end up with 10 different pedigreed offspring, some lower, some higher than the highest parent. I don't know the exact science, or if one even exists, for getting traits to transfer from the parent(s) to the offspring. But in my experiences if your parent(s) pet has higher rank expressed talents and in the same slot on the opposite pet is not known (or expressed) and lesser rank, then the higher ranked, known trait will have a better chance of transferring over to the offspring, and most times does. This is how I have added in new traits to some of my pets that are missing them in their bloodline. Once those traits are in the bloodline they will have the chance to transfer to an offspring, thus taking the place of a lower ranked trait and thus raising the offspring's pedigree.

I have not noticed any guaranteed approach to this as of yet and in my experiences, there is a lot of 'controlled and/or influenced randomness' that comes into play when trying to transfer higher ranked powers and talents to offspring. Currently my highest pedigree pet is 660 and I hope once it is adult to get to that 700 pedigree max. I know certain Epic Powers and Ultra Rare Talents it is missing from it's trait bloodline, so it is just a matter of getting those transferred in. Then it is a matter of getting the 'right combination of traits' to express themselves, which also takes quite a bit of time, patience and training.

Good luck to you on the morphing and training and again congrats on 'moving on up'!

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
Thanks Valkoor,

Looks like the trick may be to keep good records so you know what each pet possible powers/talents etc should be.

I think it will be quite a while before I hit 600 :)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
Hey Logansan, congrats on your new, higher pedigree pet. It can be a tad bit frustrating because training pets and transferring traits is a continuous work in progress. It may take a dozen tries to get a new trait to transfer into an offspring's bloodline, or it may happen right away. An increase in pedigree basically just means that you successfully transferred better traits (higher ranked grants/powers/talents) from the parents into the offspring. It doesn't always happen though-- especially the first few tries.

Just as you can take 2 parents and morph them together 10 different times and end up with 10 different pedigreed offspring, some lower, some higher than the highest parent. I don't know the exact science, or if one even exists, for getting traits to transfer from the parent(s) to the offspring. But in my experiences if your parent(s) pet has higher rank expressed talents and in the same slot on the opposite pet is not known (or expressed) and lesser rank, then the higher ranked, known trait will have a better chance of transferring over to the offspring, and most times does. This is how I have added in new traits to some of my pets that are missing them in their bloodline. Once those traits are in the bloodline they will have the chance to transfer to an offspring, thus taking the place of a lower ranked trait and thus raising the offspring's pedigree.

I have not noticed any guaranteed approach to this as of yet and in my experiences, there is a lot of 'controlled and/or influenced randomness' that comes into play when trying to transfer higher ranked powers and talents to offspring. Currently my highest pedigree pet is 660 and I hope once it is adult to get to that 700 pedigree max. I know certain Epic Powers and Ultra Rare Talents it is missing from it's trait bloodline, so it is just a matter of getting those transferred in. Then it is a matter of getting the 'right combination of traits' to express themselves, which also takes quite a bit of time, patience and training.

Good luck to you on the morphing and training and again congrats on 'moving on up'!
Seriously Valkoor, you should apply for apprenticeship with Decius or Hep Kat'mun. With your skills you are a shoo in to take over when they retire.

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
I’m having similar problems, it seems no matter what combination of pets I try I can’t get the max pedigree value to increase. I tried numerous combinations (primary using level 65 pets) but every time the max pedigree ends up the same or lower than either of the two parents.

I’ve seen a few pets running around with pedigree greater than 400 and a couple in the 600s. All the guides on the internet (those that I could find) suggest that it’s only partly random if the pedigree goes up or down, so either I’m having really bad luck (not surprising for me in this game) or I’m missing something.

Taking Valkoor’s comments above into consideration, last night I tried with pets that already had Epic powers expressed, but this didn’t seem to make any difference.

What am I missing? It’s possibly something quite simple and/or obvious J

PS: I also seen a few posts about people selling pets at the bazaar, something that now that I have heaps of unwanted pets seems like a good idea. However, I couldn’t find an option on the bazaar to do this, where these people lying/confused or once again is there something obvious that I’m missing?
To sell unwanted pets for space or dough you knead to go to the Renamer she will buy these pets from you. I too end up with oh so many pets and need to make room after all there is not enough room to let that many pets run around my houses.
The Renamer is in Beastia at one of the vendors, most have 2 salespeople she is all alone so kinda easy to spot good luck fellow morphing ranger.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 7, 2014 wrote:
Seriously Valkoor, you should apply for apprenticeship with Decius or Hep Kat'mun. With your skills you are a shoo in to take over when they retire.
Thank you Chrissy, I have actually already self appointed my way into an apprenticeship with both of them......they just don't know it yet-- and I plan to keep it that way...for now at least! That's why I hang out in Bestia, peering over their shoulders trying to get a glimpse of their best-ia secrets-- sometimes it ends in being chased around by a sword-wielding Eagle!

I have much to learn about the system and much of my success has been brought on by carefully calculated and executed luck....and help from some other pet savvy pirates! But...I did get to 670 the other night and got Grants Elusive to finally take hold and express itself in one of the 670's trait bloodline, so only 1 more Epic Power and 2 Ultra Talents to go to reach that 700 max! Then it will be more trial and error, followed by pet playtime for them and Valkoor-- not so much for any enemies!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks Valkoor,

Looks like the trick may be to keep good records so you know what each pet possible powers/talents etc should be.

I think it will be quite a while before I hit 600 :)
You're welcome Logansan, & yep keeping good records can help quite a bit. It's good to know which 1st generation pets & traits you started with, which traits have been successfully transferred, which ones you still wish to acquire & also to note what pairings have produced successful increases in pedigree.

If you're primarily worried about high pedigree & not as much about specific grants/powers/talents, then the quickest way to get there is to head to the tent in realm Avery, or sometimes One-Eyed Jack, & morph your highest pedigree pet with someone in there that has a 600+ pedigree pet. There's a lot of friendly pet enthusiasts in there with awesome pedigree that are willing to help others out. If you have a 350 pedigree pet & morph it with someone in there with a 650 pedigree pet, your offspring's pedigree will go up by quite a bit (in my experiences upper 400's to lower 500's). Then train that pet to adult & morph it with another 600-650+ pedigree pet, once again the offspring's pet will jump up a bit. Repeat the cycle & after a few times, you'll have your very own 600+ pedigree pet.

Again, this doesn't ensure you are getting the desired traits, but it does ensure high pedigree & overall great probability at your 600+ pedigree pet expressing many grants or at least higher ranked powers & talents. There's only so many Epic powers out there right now, along with Ultra Rare granted talents & pet talents, so you should be able to produce a few pets with grants, powers & talents that best benefit your class pirate, as well as your other pirates.

What I do is get my pedigree as high as I can on one pet (right now 670). Then I morph my 2 highest pedigree pets with the best manifested traits, until I get 2 pets at that current highest pedigree or, in the past, even higher. I then train them both to adult & morph them together to get many pets at that same pedigree or possibly higher. Sometimes I end up with a dozen or so pets at that current highest pedigree. I work on training them to adult & beyond, & watch to see what pets best express themselves with manifested grants/powers/talents. I either get that super pet I was looking for or I get some great ones & start the process over again or find someone with an equally high pedigreed pet with a trait I am missing to morph with, & then start all over again with a more-than-likely, even higher pedigree offspring.

By producing many high pedigree pets (especially 650+) you are going to end up getting great pets for all your classes. Without paying perfect attention to bloodline and traits, I have 600+ pedigree pets for all of my class of pirates-- all with grants/powers/talents that are beneficial to that class. I have gotten some great melee attack grants/primary stat buffing pets, Charming Gaze 3/spell grants/multiple healing grants pets, accuracy/agility boosting & Elusive granting pets & other varieties as well, by just going for high pedigree & then hatching many pets with that high pedigree.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
jeffreyskullpants on Oct 7, 2014 wrote:
To sell unwanted pets for space or dough you knead to go to the Renamer she will buy these pets from you. I too end up with oh so many pets and need to make room after all there is not enough room to let that many pets run around my houses.
The Renamer is in Beastia at one of the vendors, most have 2 salespeople she is all alone so kinda easy to spot good luck fellow morphing ranger.
Great tip Jeffrey! You can also sell the pets (as well as pirate gear) at the Egg Vendors in the upper concourse, near the Circus Maximus entrance/exit. I often sell my pets there after unsatisfied morphs and/or 'failed' hybrid attempts...and believe me, I have had many of them.

(very nice and cleverly inserted pun by the way-- "dough you knead", that's just too funny)

Commodore
May 31, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 7, 2014 wrote:
Thank you Chrissy, I have actually already self appointed my way into an apprenticeship with both of them......they just don't know it yet-- and I plan to keep it that way...for now at least! That's why I hang out in Bestia, peering over their shoulders trying to get a glimpse of their best-ia secrets-- sometimes it ends in being chased around by a sword-wielding Eagle!

I have much to learn about the system and much of my success has been brought on by carefully calculated and executed luck....and help from some other pet savvy pirates! But...I did get to 670 the other night and got Grants Elusive to finally take hold and express itself in one of the 670's trait bloodline, so only 1 more Epic Power and 2 Ultra Talents to go to reach that 700 max! Then it will be more trial and error, followed by pet playtime for them and Valkoor-- not so much for any enemies!
Why do I have an incredibly vivid image of Decius chasing you around Bestia? Honestly, I'm surprised Hep hasn't kicked you out of the Morphing Tent. Though he probably enjoys all of the gold you're giving him. You and your many pets will take over the Spiral one day, I can see it happen.

But on the topic of this post, I need to start writing things down for my pets. Basically my pet tab is a mess of level one pets, level 30-ish pets for morphing hybrids or just morphing, and my few, special, max or nearly max pets. I train one to four pets at a time, but it's a long process right now as I don't have many opportunities to log in every day.