Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

General Question about buffs

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 28, 2008
This question includes PvP and PvE. Do buffs stack? While giving assistance to a friend of mine on a boss battle, I used my El Toro's Espirit de Corps (is that its name?) followed by its weaker counter part I happened to have in my arsenal of moves at the time. Distressed by the move, said friend of mine said that doing that would overwrite El Toro's move. I thought it strange but didn't see a difference in the level of accuracy my companions had or my large amount of dodges I enjoy bragging about.
However, he went on to say that no buffs in the game stack at all. In my piratey investigation, I found that using the Walk In Shadows ability from the swashbuckler training camp in conjunction with Backstab would do a substantial amount of damage as compared to when Walk In Shadows wasn't used. 136 was the final hit's damage count without W.I.S. while 261 was the final hit's damage count with W.I.S. in play. (NOTE: I never tried to investigate this in PvP, this little experiment was done on Blood Bats in Big Sky so it may be different if you choose to investigate on your own)
So do buffs stack or do they overwrite? Will I need to start using my buffs less flippantly now? Not sure if devs give official answers on this forum but getting one would be much appreciated.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Oh yes they do indeed stack. Being a lvl 65 privateer I count on that stacking all the time. Just look at the stuff in your stats when you hover your mouse over you are anyone on your team and you will see all the stacked buffs on you and working if there is a good privateer on your team. I have a necromancing pig and Scratchy that I use a lot for my privateer and I stack will buffs using great juju and the a straight will boost. Then I boost damage and my pig will consistently hit 1500 to 2000 damage every turn that his mojo echo triggers. It is not unusual for him to hit 6 times in one turn. Same goes for Scratchy. Sure the odds can change and they will only hit once but after the stacking they can easily hit over 700 in one hit if it goes epic. I totally notice a difference in their strength of hits or how often they block or dodge when I give them stacked agility and dodge and accuracy buffs. I can tell you with complete confidence that they do Not cancel each other out, they make things that much better with every boost. So no boost is ever wasted, well except for maybe focus fire and you are last in the line up to go and all your team either fizzled or missed or was blocked, lol. Yea that can happen but it is truly rare. Just trying to be honest. To paraphrase a movie quote to fit the situation: x Buff Away Kelsey, Buff Away x *
* Movie paraphrased: Signs by M. Night Shyamalan " Swing away Merrill. Merrill.....Swing away."

Ensign
Nov 28, 2008
Thanks for the information! I almost forgot I posted this.