Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Level of summoned minions

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Yo there, just a quick consideration: there are a lot of nice items with nice summons, but having a lvl 30 (for example) summon in an area where mobs are lvl 45-50 doesn't seems so much useful since summoned minions, like companions, depend on stats for hit/block/dodge, this is less reasonable if summons come from no auction/trade items of lvl 45; meantime i know there is some passive skill like the one Blue Oni has wich are useful even at lvl 30 and i also can understand that a summon can't be at the same level of a companion (no free companions ), i would ask if +5 levels (from 30 to 35 in this case) will be a reasonable and useful increase and maybe make summons to be at max -10 levels less than the item level from they come.

Eccentric Roberto Bellamy
Duke of Hannibal

Developer
I have just recently completed some cool changes to the way that summons work

1) Summons that you cast from your own abilities will automatically level up as you level up (sort of how Pets work now).

2) Classes with talents that improve your spellcasting ability (like Spooky) and with higher Will (I'm looking at you, Privateers and Witchdoctors) will find their summons work a bit better than other classes.

3) Items that have unique summons power have a fixed level, just like they do now. This will make them a little more useful for players of all classes, but at the same time, like most items, you'll eventually outgrow them and you'll want to move on to another item.

(Sorry! I can't tell you when those changes will make it into the live game-- you'll have to bother Jack about that!)

(**Note from One-Eyed Jack ** : These are internally made changes that have not been published yet and will still need to be verified before being released to the masses -- thanks for the cool insider's look at what's in store for the future, Ratbeard!!)

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Community Leader
Ratbeard on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:

1) Summons that you cast from your own abilities will automatically level up as you level up (sort of how Pets work now).

2) Classes with talents that improve your spellcasting ability (like Spooky) and with higher Will (I'm looking at you, Privateers and Witchdoctors) will find their summons work a bit better than other classes.

3) Items that have unique summons power have a fixed level, just like they do now. This will make them a little more useful for players of all classes, but at the same time, like most items, you'll eventually outgrow them and you'll want to move on to another item.

(Sorry! I can't tell you when those changes will make it into the live game-- you'll have to bother Jack about that!)

(**Note from One-Eyed Jack ** : These are internally made changes that have not been published yet and will still need to be verified before being released to the masses -- thanks for the cool insider's look at what's in store for the future, Ratbeard!!)
Awesome! I can't wait for this to go live! I really like the idea of summoned minions and am glad that their usefulness will be increased. I look forward to adding them to my strategies!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Excuse me ratbeard and one-eyed jack, but I have a question for you from another member over on pirate101 central. Basically they were wondering if companion-summoned minions like from old scratch and the crab hermit will level up as well or if they will fall into the item summoned category and not level up at all. I personally think it's the latter, but hey, it never hurts to ask after all.

Thank you for your time.

Community Leader
flash33 on Jan 28, 2013 wrote:
Excuse me ratbeard and one-eyed jack, but I have a question for you from another member over on pirate101 central. Basically they were wondering if companion-summoned minions like from old scratch and the crab hermit will level up as well or if they will fall into the item summoned category and not level up at all. I personally think it's the latter, but hey, it never hurts to ask after all.

Thank you for your time.
It looks like this change applies to minions summoned by the player and old scratch. The only exceptions are minions summoned by the player from gear, so non-witchdoctor's summoned minions will not scale. Examples of this kind of item drop from the elemental temples at the end of MooShu. Those will always summon at the same level.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Talkin The Plank on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:
Awesome! I can't wait for this to go live! I really like the idea of summoned minions and am glad that their usefulness will be increased. I look forward to adding them to my strategies!
I'll finally have a reason to play Witchdoctor then.

Was about time. Smart move.

Ensign
Jul 23, 2010
Ratbeard on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:

Is this how the summons from companions like Old Scratch will work(auto level up) or will they remain a fixed level like an item card summon?

Community Leader
chamender3 on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
Is this how the summons from companions like Old Scratch will work(auto level up) or will they remain a fixed level like an item card summon?
I believe this applies to both Pirate summons and Old Scratch summons.

Ensign
Jul 23, 2010
Talkin The Plank on Feb 6, 2013 wrote:
I believe this applies to both Pirate summons and Old Scratch summons.
Sounds great Talkin the Plank! If it does I can't wait to use my Skeletal Corsair from Old Scratch in PvP once these changes are made!

Community Leader
chamender3 on Feb 6, 2013 wrote:
Sounds great Talkin the Plank! If it does I can't wait to use my Skeletal Corsair from Old Scratch in PvP once these changes are made!
I'm looking forward to the Witchdoctor's Skeletal Dragon being worth it. It's design is awesome, but it's a little weak.

Community Leader
Other companions have summons as well, such as the Crab Hermit companion.
Will these minions be similarly scaled as well.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
Other companions have summons as well, such as the Crab Hermit companion.
Will these minions be similarly scaled as well.
If that happens with his minions he is starting to turn into a good companion then.