Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Are you kidding me!?!?!?!?!?!?!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 11, 2010
I have been seriously questing for the last few hours. I started when Avery told me that the Armada wanted El Dorado, so i completed the quests to get to Valencia. There, I completed, eh, probably 4-5 quests to get to Cool Ranch only to find that it is 10x more difficult than anything i have faced. I was fighting enemies with 150-350 health and I get in one battle in Cool Ranch and my enemies have 650-800!!! Was I not expected to complete those quests the way I did? I mean that is a HUGE spike in difficulty. I have seen other people post about this topic and I thought that they were just to lazy to fight people with a lot of health, but I am level 17 and I am in 3 different worlds and fighting people with 2x as much health as I have. At level in Wizard101, I was still finishing up Wizard City! What is the point of all of this. I have 10 pages of quests and 3 worlds already! With the rest of the game be this aggrivating and time consuming!?!?!?!?
- Josh Xavier Musketeer

Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
Josh Dragonbreeze on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
I have been seriously questing for the last few hours. I started when Avery told me that the Armada wanted El Dorado, so i completed the quests to get to Valencia. There, I completed, eh, probably 4-5 quests to get to Cool Ranch only to find that it is 10x more difficult than anything i have faced. I was fighting enemies with 150-350 health and I get in one battle in Cool Ranch and my enemies have 650-800!!! Was I not expected to complete those quests the way I did? I mean that is a HUGE spike in difficulty. I have seen other people post about this topic and I thought that they were just to lazy to fight people with a lot of health, but I am level 17 and I am in 3 different worlds and fighting people with 2x as much health as I have. At level in Wizard101, I was still finishing up Wizard City! What is the point of all of this. I have 10 pages of quests and 3 worlds already! With the rest of the game be this aggrivating and time consuming!?!?!?!?
- Josh Xavier Musketeer
I have not to reach cool ranch yet,but I know what you mean.This might help:
1.go to the Tavern on message boards
2.click on ,"Tactics!Tips and Tricks,and good strategy."
3.Look at as many pages as you can about battling and companions,that should help you get tougher.

Hope this helps!

peace,love,
-lilahprincess024
no one can do everything,but everyone can do something
(I love that quote!)

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Seems to me you may have been skipping over side quests. Go back all the way to skull island and hunt around for quests you may have missed, then go around Monquista and do the same, move on to Valencia, and look around there, too.

I suspect if you do that, you will find your level up to level 20 by the time you return, and all those really hard enemies are not as hard now.

Community Leader
Josh Dragonbreeze on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
- Josh Xavier Musketeer
I had this problem when I first got to cool ranch as well. The issue, I found out, was that the mobs were all level 20, whereas my pirate was lvl 17. I would recommend what I did: skip the sidequests (for now) that you picked up when you got to CR and just focus on the main questline until you are about lvl 20-22, then go back and do all the sidequests, if you like. You get a lot of xp from the main storyline and you'll be better equipped to fight those lvl 20 scorpions and buffaloons. It was quite the revalation when I moused over those guys to try and figure out what was wrong and saw they were 4-5 levels higher than me!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Sep 19, 2011
This is also a problem I've been facing. A lot of things in Cool Ranch are meant for groups to handle, but your friends can't be online all the time.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
You guys are silly, from the end of cool ranch enemies have an average of 1100 health, and at the beginning of mooshu the enemies have an average of 1800. You just wait!

Dead-Eye Luke, Level 50

Ensign
Feb 16, 2011
The reason you are experiencing this problem is because those mobs are for higher lvl pirates when you go back there later on. Just try to stay away from them and you'll be fine.

Ensign
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, I was like WHAAAAAAAAAT when I saw the enemies were about 3-4 lvls higher than me, so I just did all the side quests i'd had for a while and just kept going.

Ensign
Feb 12, 2011
Wow, you have 10 pages of unfinished quests? That is a clue to the solution of your problem. Try to finish up older quests before delving into new areas.

Captain
May 13, 2011
*sigh* dont go right to arroyo grande when you go to cool ranch for the first time. i did it and ended up regretting it

Petty Officer
Oct 31, 2012
Dead Eye Luke on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
You guys are silly, from the end of cool ranch enemies have an average of 1100 health, and at the beginning of mooshu the enemies have an average of 1800. You just wait!

Dead-Eye Luke, Level 50
Totally agree with Luke on this just wait! Also if you are fighting a group thats level 20 and your level 17 you need to level up! Found this out at Hidden Valley Ranch the hard way!

Ensign
Sep 18, 2010
you probably didn't finish older side quest. Try to go back to the older quests and finish them,then you can be lvled up more and have enough health and power. Fearless fiona webb lvl 28

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
You realistically won't be able to reliably handle even regular fights in cool ranch with average gear. Your biggest boons are going to be weapon (superb rare drop or max damage range), gear with sufficient damage and/or resists, and equal or within one level core companions (It's a must if you use dropped gear especially) . I know the companion system is horrible in this game if need be have the lesser ones killed and don't revive and pump points and tomes into the ones that promote early. Bonnie Anne/Ratbeard/Presidio/Class Core. These should be your biggest investment outside of a ship. Don't bother with Old Scratch as his accuracy base is too low and even with all talents into accuracy he won't be reliable even with his promotion. Those four will be your mains from SI till you finish CR for the most part. All main companions have skills and promotions and are the most useful by far on average. You'll get Bison companions ignore them the only decent one is the shaman the rest are horrible. Water moles/batacudas all horrible. Don't lose focus spend the money on the ones that count and will help you level and have the best time.

Ship wise I used my monquistian skiff all the way to CR. It's free and got the job done. You can use an extra light even if you want to board ships every time but you'll have quests for like 10+ kills. Leech as much as you can with the freebie and get a bison medium or heavy. Don't get the light. Gold is easiest to farm via ship loot.

Ensign
Dec 21, 2008
i am in the middle of cool ranch and it is really hard but after a while you get use to it plus if you use specail attacks on the strongest one use your copainon power attacks

Ensign
Jun 26, 2012
Talkin The Plank on Dec 4, 2012 wrote:
I had this problem when I first got to cool ranch as well. The issue, I found out, was that the mobs were all level 20, whereas my pirate was lvl 17. I would recommend what I did: skip the sidequests (for now) that you picked up when you got to CR and just focus on the main questline until you are about lvl 20-22, then go back and do all the sidequests, if you like. You get a lot of xp from the main storyline and you'll be better equipped to fight those lvl 20 scorpions and buffaloons. It was quite the revalation when I moused over those guys to try and figure out what was wrong and saw they were 4-5 levels higher than me!
That isn't always the case, either. My niece is a level 28 swashbuckler and she's kept her companions trained to her same level but she has yet to be able to complete the Frank and Jessie Crane's quest. She has been defeated the last 4 times she tried. Unfortunately I don't remember how I defeated them, having done it quite some time ago (I have a level 50 privateer) and MY companions weren't trained to anywhere near the level my niece's companions are. I've watched a couple of her attempts and her strategies are sound, using all the "distance" attacks her character has available, yet she still loses.

Community Leader
Bloodwynde on Feb 1, 2013 wrote:
That isn't always the case, either. My niece is a level 28 swashbuckler and she's kept her companions trained to her same level but she has yet to be able to complete the Frank and Jessie Crane's quest. She has been defeated the last 4 times she tried. Unfortunately I don't remember how I defeated them, having done it quite some time ago (I have a level 50 privateer) and MY companions weren't trained to anywhere near the level my niece's companions are. I've watched a couple of her attempts and her strategies are sound, using all the "distance" attacks her character has available, yet she still loses.
That is part of the Rooster Cogburn series of quests as I recall.
Not required/main quest line (they actually only reward gold). This line of quests is difficult by design, offering a different level of challenge (series of boss battles). I would recommend perhaps further pursuing the main quest line, leveling some more, and then going back to defeat the nasty Crane brothers!

Best of luck!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Developer
Bloodwynde on Feb 1, 2013 wrote:
The Rooster Cogburn "Bounty" quests will be granted to you as fast as you can complete them-- but be warned that each new villain he sends you after will be higher and higher level.

If you start on these early and complete a few in a row, there is a good chance that eventually you will pick up a bounty that is too tough for you. Just set it aside until you've gained a few levels, then try again.