Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witchhunter talent

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
Hi, many enemies and my companions( bison shaman) I can't figure out what it does. Old Scratch sometimes triggers it, mormo never does, and my nurse chicken did once. One-Eyed Jack can you tell me how this works?

Ensign
Feb 07, 2009
I have seen enemies use it on me when I cast mojo storm or the vodoo spell with the skeleton hand ( I can't remember what that one was called). All they do is hit you with a melee attack before you cast it. None of my companions that have witchhunter have been able to use it. I think the conditions are too specific for it to be worth anything.

Developer
You'll get a free bonus attack if you are attacked with magic. This includes the basic attack of most Witch Doctor units, as well as a lot of Power cards.

Of course you have to be in range of the attacker when it happens. You can't swing your sword at an attacker several squares away.

Because the conditions have to be just right to trigger this epic talent, it (a) does more damage than a normal attack and (b) reduces the damage of the magic attack that's about to come your way.

That's how it is supposed to be working-- and as it turns out, I just happened to review it yesterday. Everything looks good, but if it's not triggering when you think it should, let me know and I'll dig deeper.

Community Leader
I am curious about this as well. It doesn't seem to be working as intended, based on what the tooltip says. I had 2nd rank Witchhunter on my mustang gypsy, since I'd never had it for any companion before, and went into a fight with her where she was hit multiple times with magic both right next to and far away from the mob casting it, both AoE spells that hit her and direct spells, and magic that was cast on other people around her and it never proc'd a single time. Not sure what it takes, but if it's broken, I'd like to know so I can respec her into being useful!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Guys, the witch hunter power is meant as just a bonus attack. But now that I think of it, did bishop the armada priest ever used that attack?

Community Leader
As far as Witch Hunter goes, do wand / staff strikes count as magic, or does it only trigger against active Powers like Ghostwail? Wands and sparkshooters both do magical damage, but I've never seen Bonnie Anne's sparkshooter set off mob Hunters while they definitely didn't like Old Scratch's Mojo Blast.

It may be a nearby 'casting circle' of magic powers that Witch Hunter reacts to, rather than magical damage in general.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Developer
Sierra Starsong on Nov 28, 2012 wrote:
As far as Witch Hunter goes, do wand / staff strikes count as magic, or does it only trigger against active Powers like Ghostwail? Wands and sparkshooters both do magical damage, but I've never seen Bonnie Anne's sparkshooter set off mob Hunters while they definitely didn't like Old Scratch's Mojo Blast.

It may be a nearby 'casting circle' of magic powers that Witch Hunter reacts to, rather than magical damage in general.
Wand/staff strikes are considered magic. They are distinct from guns, though you are correct that both do "magic" type damage.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Nov 28, 2012 wrote:
You'll get a free bonus attack if you are attacked with magic. This includes the basic attack of most Witch Doctor units, as well as a lot of Power cards.

Of course you have to be in range of the attacker when it happens. You can't swing your sword at an attacker several squares away.

Because the conditions have to be just right to trigger this epic talent, it (a) does more damage than a normal attack and (b) reduces the damage of the magic attack that's about to come your way.

That's how it is supposed to be working-- and as it turns out, I just happened to review it yesterday. Everything looks good, but if it's not triggering when you think it should, let me know and I'll dig deeper.
I had the Horse Gypsy with two tiers of Witchhunter standing next to the skeletal witch doctor in the card game with death final battle and, with all the spells she got hit with (which may have all been AoE, I don't remember exactly) witchhunter never proc'd. Does it not work in response to AoE attacks? Is that the trouble?

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Hey Talkin the Plank!

I figure AoE does not trigger Witchhunter since your companion was most likely not the official 'target' of that AoE spell.