Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

FYI My ten-year-old daughter says

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 05, 2013
I have a female centaur companion named Nausica

Ensign
Jan 05, 2013
Wait, what are those things named again
Battle Angels
What about those

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Wicked Natalie on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
Wait, what are those things named again
Battle Angels
What about those
I don't thiunk we will get battle angels as a companion soon.

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
well, back in 1715, the Caribbean, west indies etc.
they're weren't too many female pirates.
most woman were stuck-home with chores and taking care of their children.
and mostly men had a itchy feeling of becoming a buccaneer or a privateer (matters if they want to be wanted or not).
the most female pirates were bonnie anne and someone else I'm forgetting, maybe Mary read too.
but, they should make some more fictional female characters.
only having a male team isn't as fun.
only having one female in my crew makes me feel, disordered.
great!!! hopefully they make some more

jamal heath lvl 32 boy
see yar mates next time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
jamual heath on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
and mostly men had a itchy feeling of becoming a buccaneer or a privateer (matters if they want to be wanted or not).
the most female pirates were bonnie anne and someone else I'm forgetting, maybe Mary read too.

jamal heath lvl 32 boy
see yar mates next time.
This is an older thread and lots has been changed since it has started. You will get several more strong female members to your crew, no worries on that one.

Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
I don't know if this helps, but the reason there might not be as many girls might be because it was, as in, a long time ago, was bad luck to bring a "lady" (even a little one) onto a ship and sail with her because, well, um, I'm not sure. It was just considered that a girl on deck was bad luck. People those days were very superstisous and only some of the suspicions still survied all the way to today. However, that is not the case here because I don't think anyone on Pirate101 has mentioned that. BTW, Bonnie Anne was a real pirate, except her name was Anne Bonnie.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
jamual heath on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:

jamal heath lvl 32 boy
see yar mates next time.
Well... Pirate101 is really a fantasy game that has playful nods to history (and cheerfully mixing it all up), so being male or female in the game shouldn't really matter... though like the historical periods alluded to, males are mostly in charge (though there are female engineers in Aquila and Marleybone). But it is not a question of inferiority, rather the expected social roles in life.

In 1715 (and thereabouts) most males and females engaged in rigorous labor, and at this point in time, still really in household partnership rather than the model that really begins in the 19th C., of the woman taking care of the home and the man working outside the home. Educational opportunities were much better for men, of course, partly because they had a much better chance of advancement, and partly because women's work was so very needed. Cooking over a hearth requires an enormous investment in time and energy (and I know this from personal experience!), not to mention the garments, table linens, and bedclothes of a household were primarily the responsibility of the females of the household, even though at this point in time they usually were not spinning and weaving all the cloth too.

But there were exceptions. Wealth brought more education to women -- and a glass ceiling for their intellectual endeavors, although there were women students and a couple female professors in Italy (Bologna and Padua, I believe). On the lower scale of society, women fed up with poverty or wanting to be with their husband or patriotically inspired did dress up as men and enter the army or navy or perhaps become pirates. With a lifetime of heavy physical labor, these women were strong and tough. We don't know how many, as only the ones who were discovered (usually after a serious injury) were caught out. A surprising number of women fought in disguise during the U.S. Civil War, which begs the question of if there were similar numbers in earlier times.

(But this was probably far more information than you wanted! )

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Girl Gamers Rule on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
I don't know if this helps, but the reason there might not be as many girls might be because it was, as in, a long time ago, was bad luck to bring a "lady" (even a little one) onto a ship and sail with her because, well, um, I'm not sure. It was just considered that a girl on deck was bad luck. People those days were very superstisous and only some of the suspicions still survied all the way to today. However, that is not the case here because I don't think anyone on Pirate101 has mentioned that. BTW, Bonnie Anne was a real pirate, except her name was Anne Bonnie.
My understanding of that superstition is the fear of whistling (really!). It was believed that a woman (or a girl) whistling could bring down wild winds (at least in the British Isles, I don't know if this idea took hold elsewhere). Since the behavior of the winds is very important to a sailor's survival, you can see why they wouldn't want to take chances.

On the other hand, on at least some North American merchant (and I think, whaling) vessels, the captain might bring his family. But that's as far as I can go; my knowledge of maritime history is rather weak, I'm afraid...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jan 28, 2014 wrote:
Well... Pirate101 is really a fantasy game that has playful nods to history (and cheerfully mixing it all up), so being male or female in the game shouldn't really matter... though like the historical periods alluded to, males are mostly in charge (though there are female engineers in Aquila and Marleybone). But it is not a question of inferiority, rather the expected social roles in life.

In 1715 (and thereabouts) most males and females engaged in rigorous labor, and at this point in time, still really in household partnership rather than the model that really begins in the 19th C., of the woman taking care of the home and the man working outside the home. Educational opportunities were much better for men, of course, partly because they had a much better chance of advancement, and partly because women's work was so very needed. Cooking over a hearth requires an enormous investment in time and energy (and I know this from personal experience!), not to mention the garments, table linens, and bedclothes of a household were primarily the responsibility of the females of the household, even though at this point in time they usually were not spinning and weaving all the cloth too.

But there were exceptions. Wealth brought more education to women -- and a glass ceiling for their intellectual endeavors, although there were women students and a couple female professors in Italy (Bologna and Padua, I believe). On the lower scale of society, women fed up with poverty or wanting to be with their husband or patriotically inspired did dress up as men and enter the army or navy or perhaps become pirates. With a lifetime of heavy physical labor, these women were strong and tough. We don't know how many, as only the ones who were discovered (usually after a serious injury) were caught out. A surprising number of women fought in disguise during the U.S. Civil War, which begs the question of if there were similar numbers in earlier times.

(But this was probably far more information than you wanted! )
"But this was probably far more information than you wanted!"
Whenever it comes to knowledge from someone as well learned as you, my dear Anne, It could Never be too much IMO. Sitting by your knee and gleaning information would be a rare privilege that your daughters have become extraordinarily wealthy in absorbed wisdom from our dear Virtuous Anne.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
are the creature companions female or male?

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 15, 2012 wrote:
Right! I forgot Mustang Sally. The gypsy I haven't seen though, she's not on any of my crews as yet.

I was thinking of it last night, running the different peoples of the spiral through my head and I realized that so far, I can't recall ever seeing a female crane, duck or goose, pig, guinea pig or sheep. Goats, yes. Cows, yes. Horses and monkeys, yes. None of the bison so far have been female.

There have been no male mice however, but then, the only mice at all so far are Sarah and Lucy. Except for the real estate agent in Wizard, I can't remember seeing any female cats, but in Pirate cats are pretty rare so far.

Hmm... I know I'm missing some.
The mustang gypsy is one of the two on les islas de muertos in santa pollo skyway cool ranch. Also did you know that buccaneers only recruit Nadya the mustang gypsy?
- Faithful Tatiana Jackson Level 65 Witch Doctor

Ensign
Aug 04, 2009
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
I agree there needs to be more female companions. So far these are the female companions:
- Bonnie Anne
- Zeena
- Nadya (Buccaneer only or crown shop)
- Eagle Archer (Musketeer only or crown shop)
- Sarah Steele (swashbuckler only)
- Lucy Sterling (crown shop version of Sarah Steele)
- Jane Canary (privateer only or crown shop)
- Nurse Quinn (swashbuckler only or crown shop)
- Serpent Augur (Witch Doctor only or crown shop)
- Shiruku Neko
- Mustang Sally (swashbuckler only or crown shop)
And that's it. there is only 11 female companions.

Ensign
Aug 23, 2009
Kronosroses on Mar 5, 2014 wrote:
I agree there needs to be more female companions. So far these are the female companions:
- Bonnie Anne
- Zeena
- Nadya (Buccaneer only or crown shop)
- Eagle Archer (Musketeer only or crown shop)
- Sarah Steele (swashbuckler only)
- Lucy Sterling (crown shop version of Sarah Steele)
- Jane Canary (privateer only or crown shop)
- Nurse Quinn (swashbuckler only or crown shop)
- Serpent Augur (Witch Doctor only or crown shop)
- Shiruku Neko
- Mustang Sally (swashbuckler only or crown shop)
And that's it. there is only 11 female companions.
the thread was a necro....it should be left to die

also nice to know grace is a dude now....sucks to be her

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
A Mythspent Youth on Nov 14, 2012 wrote:
You know, I understood all the words you wrote there, but taken as a whole none of what you said makes any sense. How is wanting to see a fair gender balance over all (and an all-girl team personally) discrimination?

While I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, the message you've just sent to a 10-year-old is essentially, "Be grateful you got Bonnie Anne and get over it."

As a grown woman, I agree with the girl here. More female NPCs, please. We're over half the population in the real world, so it stands to reason that we should be more than 5 of the companion compliment in the Spiral.

Bonnie Anne
Sarah Steele
Lucy Sterling
Calamity Jane Canary
Nurse Quinn Medicine Chicken

That's all I've seen so far. And no, I don't count Nikita. A pink non-sentient doesn't cut it, thanks.
you forgot shiruko nekko ( ninja cat ) and mustang sally. Everyone gets shiruku - quest in mooshu called "the silk one" and swashbucklers get mustang sally along with el toro.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Magistermundisum on Nov 17, 2012 wrote:
Is the Cat Ninja male or female?
female and very cute and powerful.

Lieutenant
Jul 15, 2013
I have an accurate list of females
1. Bonnie Anne
2. Sarah Steele
3. Lucy Sterling
4. Nurse Quinn
5. Mustang Sally
6. Nadya
7. Shiruku Neko
8. Gracie Conrad
9. Eagle Archer
10. Zeena
11. Serpent Augur
12. Nikeeta
13. Jane Canary
Th-th-thats all folks

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I've always wanted to have one of those female clockwork musketeers that we fight against. It would make a good companion or pet.

I also really want one of those rabbits that run around on the ground.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I'd really like to see some female companions from history such as:
Joan of arc, Cleopatra (W101 there's Krokopatra), and maybe Queen Boudica?
and also for some reason I want a Genie companion.

Noble Tyler Strong61

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
In the massive update the swashbuckler companion is female.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Apr 20, 2014 wrote:
In the massive update the swashbuckler companion is female.
As is the Privateer companion

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
There may be few female companions, but most of them are memorable.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Noble Tyler Strong on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
As is the Privateer companion
and the Musketeer companion

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Thank you, KI, for making three of the five new companions female. With the new ad campaigns for various products throwing new light on gender equality and how female stereotypes are perceived, it's a good sign. I especially like the new anti-"like a girl" ad. Girls are proving left and right that they can throw and run and hit just like a guy. Nadya the Mustang Gypsy needs a good promotion so that she can be comparable to Tyson the chicken pugilist.

Keep up the good work, and let's see more and more strong female companions!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Well, here are all the female companions I can think of at the moment.
Bonnie Anne
Fan Flanders
Chantal Livingstone
The Marchioness
Nurse Quinn
Nadya
Sarah Steele
Calamity Jane Canary
Zeena
Mustang Sally
Gracie Conrad
Shiruku Neko