Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A few questions for KI

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 21, 2012
Did the NPCs we fight get a buff? Example: the batacuda now will constantly use vengance strike if attacked and hits back with more criticals, the same with about everything in ancient tunnels( had to be lvl 10 privateer just to do that one). Do we now have to "hold" our ships in the skyways? Because in the skull island skyway(both of them), my ship was thrown out of the skyway without me touching any keys to move the ship. Now, I don't want the game to be easy but also don't want it to be insane hard either especially the first part of the game with the baracudas and with all the mobs coming in on open to all day. Don't want new players to be discouraged when they start out.Anyway, keep up the supreme work KI Salty Seamus Privateer

Also, wanted to know why the cat pirate doesn't get the the pirate "bonus" when boarding an enemy ship like the dog, rat and skeleton pirate.

Administrator
WiseOne70 on Oct 10, 2012 wrote:
Did the NPCs we fight get a buff? Example: the batacuda now will constantly use vengance strike if attacked and hits back with more criticals, the same with about everything in ancient tunnels( had to be lvl 10 privateer just to do that one). Do we now have to "hold" our ships in the skyways? Because in the skull island skyway(both of them), my ship was thrown out of the skyway without me touching any keys to move the ship. Now, I don't want the game to be easy but also don't want it to be insane hard either especially the first part of the game with the baracudas and with all the mobs coming in on open to all day. Don't want new players to be discouraged when they start out.Anyway, keep up the supreme work KI Salty Seamus Privateer

Also, wanted to know why the cat pirate doesn't get the the pirate "bonus" when boarding an enemy ship like the dog, rat and skeleton pirate.
The designers are telling me the batacudas weren't given an increase in power.

Your other question sounds perhaps like another kind of issue--you shouldn't have to "hold" your ship in the skyway.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Jan 11, 2012
i noticed the holding issue in the skyways also, like when going from one skyway to another (e.g. skull island to flotsam) you end up continuing on the next area outside of the skyway right into enemies, this usually happens when i lagg, but i never press any butons...

Sidenote: i never noticed this in beta though.

Off topic: swashbuckler for life.

Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Oct 11, 2012 wrote:
The designers are telling me the batacudas weren't given an increase in power.

Your other question sounds perhaps like another kind of issue--you shouldn't have to "hold" your ship in the skyway.
Regarding "holding" your ship in the skyway.

I have noticed that if a pirate ship is anchored in the skyway, and another pirate ship passes too closely, the anchored ship can be pushed out of the stream (and out of safety).

My ships often leave the skyway on their own while sailing. Happens usually if the ship corrects to one direction about the same time the stream changes to an opposite direction.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
In the last 2 days, it does seem that both the Battacuda and the Flying Fish are getting both Vengeance Strikes and Relentless more than normal (at least every other hit if not every one. This seemed to be happening in Flotsam and Tradewinds more than Skull Island.

On the other issue, I think he is referring to the Pirate Picture (or Window) that appears when you move from one area to another showing a picture of Boochbeard and Mr. Gandry (ship to shore, area to another area - ie Skull Island to Flotsam, Avery Court to Training area, Avery Court to Skull Island, landing your ship at a destination, etc.). He needs to specify what he is doing when this occurs. When something like this happened to me, I was trying to land and saw the message "Failure to Load Instance Zone".

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
RE: The ship leaving the skyway, I've had that happen to me as well. I thought it was due to lag, but it seems that even with some lag, when the ship is already in the skyway we should continue to follow the skyway path, not be thrown out into the wide open skys toward enemies.

Petty Officer
Sep 18, 2009
My ship has jumped out of the skyways a couple times too, and not just Skull Island.

One thing I noticed it that our and our companions innate abilities will only trigger once per battle round (riposte, burst fire, repel boarders, etc), but foes with the same abilities can be triggered limitless times. Using Batacudas as an example, if 3 of my party attack one enemy Batacuda, it has a chance of using Vengeance Strike all 3 times in that round. If my own Batacuda companion gets attacked 3 times in one round, he will only use it once. Is this an intentional thing?

Ensign
Aug 13, 2010
I found myself thrown out of the skyway last night while I was in the stormgate between Skull Island and Monquista. The screen froze up for a second or two, then, when I came back, I was off the skyway and almost immediately in a fight with jelly fish.

Ensign
May 21, 2008
I'm sorry guys, I don't mean to sound dim, but I don't understand what you are saying?

The "skyway" is the zone that you are flying. the sparkling magical paths that auto-pilot your ships through a skyway are called "windlanes."

are you saying that you are being kicked out of the skyway zone, back to a dock or something? or are you just seeing that your ships are coming out of auto-pilot mode when you make sharp turns on a windlane at full speed?

J Todd Coleman

Community Leader
jtoddcoleman on Oct 12, 2012 wrote:
I'm sorry guys, I don't mean to sound dim, but I don't understand what you are saying?

The "skyway" is the zone that you are flying. the sparkling magical paths that auto-pilot your ships through a skyway are called "windlanes."

are you saying that you are being kicked out of the skyway zone, back to a dock or something? or are you just seeing that your ships are coming out of auto-pilot mode when you make sharp turns on a windlane at full speed?

J Todd Coleman
Sorry for the mix up in terminology.

My ships when traveling in the "windlanes" will leave the windlane occasionally on their own. This seems to happen as the ship corrects one direction (to stay in windlane) ane the windlane takes a turn the opposite direction. Add Boost fuel as a factor and the chances of leaving the windlane without player interaction are greatly increased.

I have also been pushed out of the windlane by other ships, and I have pushed other ships out of the windlane with my ship.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Commodore
Apr 28, 2012

J Todd Coleman
If you are traveling the windlanes between Skull Island and Flotsam near the lighthouse in either direction, then you are almost always thrown out of the windlanes when you arrive in the other area (like the windlanes are not in corresponding locations in the 2 areas.

Ensign
Jan 11, 2012

J Todd Coleman
what i was saying, is when i go from one skyway to another, on the windlanes and have to load the next area, i end up off the windlane flying to directly into enemy territory, which is even worse when i lagg.

sorry, i lol mixed up my terms earlier.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Sorry about that - yes, windlanes -- I am coming "unglued" from the windlanes on sharp turns, yes. Also, when passing through, say, the transition from Flotsam Skyway to Skull Island Skyway, rather than continuing on in the windlane, my ship will appear off to the left of the windlane, in open sky.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Just did it again - I was on the blue windlane between Skull Island and Jonah Town, heading toward Jonah Town, and I was reading forum posts -- looked back and I had sailed off the windlane at the turn near Rapa Nui and was heading off into the blue.

Ensign
Apr 21, 2012

J Todd Coleman
Begging yar pardon Admiral, meant windlanes and aye you do get thrown out of the windlanes especially when you switch areas (ex: skull island to flotsam). You'll wind up off the windlane when the switch areas ( wound up in a mountainside one time when moving from skull island to flotsam-the blue windlane beside bloodshoal the one I took ).Also, not sure if buff is the correct term for what the NPCs are doing- I think it was after the last update in beta that the NPCs are using the special abilities (vengenace strike, riptose, first strike) frequently instead of sporaticly plus with their dodge and block rate combined does make it a wee bit difficult. Maybe drop their usage of their special ability a 1/4 of what it is now so it's not a cake walk( note haven't started playing yet so don't know if anything has been updated since yesterday).So, may you treasure chest be overflowing and your sails full- Salty Seamus.