Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Your perfect pet talents and powers

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 12, 2014
Everyone has a different idea for what would make their perfect pet. Talents and powers should vary for different pirate classes, play style, and play type. I like using my swashbuckler PvE. I never really got into PvP, but I'm sure many people enjoy it. Please share your pet ideas as well. My perfect pet has many grants, and is not really a damage doer. I started this post for people to share ideas and information. I haven't really pinned down what all my perfect pet would have yet, but I was hoping to bounce some ideas off the community to see what you guys thought. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. As a swashbuckler I believe I have 3 ranks in dodgy from my class trainer. I've used practice points to get 2 ranks in elusive I believe. My first question would be, would grant dodgy be any benefit to me? Can you get 4 ranks? Grants elusive is already on my list of ones to get, because I'm fairly sure I can get a third rank in it. Please let me know if I'm wrong. Swashbucklers do not get turn the tide, and I believe you can't even get it using practice points. Another question I have is, can you have elusive and turn the tide at the same time? I believe I have 2 ranks in tough from practice points. I'd like the third rank, so grants tough would definitely be on my wish list for my ultimate pet. Not even sure if you could get everything I'm looking for on one pet, but my ultimate pet would look something like this. Grants tough, grants elusive, grants dodgy (maybe), grants blade storm, grants turn the tide (maybe), grants kraken's lament, grants rally, has charming gaze 1 and 2. Maybe it could have some sort of aoe attack to hit a large number of enemies and lower armor. Guess I'm greedy lol. I'm really shooting for the moon here. I'm almost sure you couldn't get everything I want on one pet. Anyway, thanks for any replies. Please share your ultimate pet, or help me with suggestions on mine. I did ask a few questions as well, so thank you for any answers in advance. I wish everyone luck in getting what they're looking for in a pet.

Petty Officer
Apr 15, 2010
The heck kitty that The Hoodoo Master gave me charming gaze so she is purrfect pawssibly the best pet. She'll be my pet... be my pet well maybe even furrever!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
mayhooligan on Jan 6, 2015 wrote:
Everyone has a different idea for what would make their perfect pet. Talents and powers should vary for different pirate classes, play style, and play type. I like using my swashbuckler PvE. I never really got into PvP, but I'm sure many people enjoy it. Please share your pet ideas as well. My perfect pet has many grants, and is not really a damage doer. I started this post for people to share ideas and information. I haven't really pinned down what all my perfect pet would have yet, but I was hoping to bounce some ideas off the community to see what you guys thought. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. As a swashbuckler I believe I have 3 ranks in dodgy from my class trainer. I've used practice points to get 2 ranks in elusive I believe. My first question would be, would grant dodgy be any benefit to me? Can you get 4 ranks? Grants elusive is already on my list of ones to get, because I'm fairly sure I can get a third rank in it. Please let me know if I'm wrong. Swashbucklers do not get turn the tide, and I believe you can't even get it using practice points. Another question I have is, can you have elusive and turn the tide at the same time? I believe I have 2 ranks in tough from practice points. I'd like the third rank, so grants tough would definitely be on my wish list for my ultimate pet. Not even sure if you could get everything I'm looking for on one pet, but my ultimate pet would look something like this. Grants tough, grants elusive, grants dodgy (maybe), grants blade storm, grants turn the tide (maybe), grants kraken's lament, grants rally, has charming gaze 1 and 2. Maybe it could have some sort of aoe attack to hit a large number of enemies and lower armor. Guess I'm greedy lol. I'm really shooting for the moon here. I'm almost sure you couldn't get everything I want on one pet. Anyway, thanks for any replies. Please share your ultimate pet, or help me with suggestions on mine. I did ask a few questions as well, so thank you for any answers in advance. I wish everyone luck in getting what they're looking for in a pet.
Hi mayhooligan.

I've been asking myself some of these ?s as well, lately. What makes a desirable pet? What's the most beneficial type of pet? How do I get the most out of a pet & it's pedigree? Is maxed pedigree even all that important or what it's cracked up to be? Yeah, there's a lot of ?s, preferences & opinions regarding all of these & in regards to having a really good pet.

First off, as far as your ultimate pet goes-- you wouldn't be able to quite get what you are desiring, but could get a number of combos & varieties of powers/talents you're looking for. As a max SB & having Dodgy rank 3, you can eliminate that one right away, because you can't go past Rank 3. Also, your pet can only have 3 powers & 3 talents expressed (except for loyal first generations, before the update--???), so getting all of those Granted talents, & including Charming Gaze 1&2, on one pet can't happen at present. The best you can do with Charming Gaze 3 (from expressing both 1 & 2) is to have a 4 grant pet. For me I prefer a pet with 5 grants & "only" Gaze 2. You may wish to have a pet with the following: Powers- Grants Rally, Kraken's Lament & possibly Brutal Charge (-50% Accuracy is always a good thing) or even Jobu's Kiss or Refresh, for extra healing; & for Talents, maybe Gaze 2, Grants Blade Storm & Grants Tough or Turn the Tide or Elusive.

I have a decent pet with Grants Rally, Brutal Charge & Jobu's Kiss & Grants Turn The Tide, Elusive & Dodgy all on the same pet-- pretty good for a Buccaneer...although I can gain the last extra Rank of TtT from the Nef. 5 axe, so I use a pet with Grants Rally, Shark's Fury, Jobu's & Grants Elusive, Dodgy & Charming Gaze 2. So, now my Buck has all Ranks of Tough, TtT, Dodgy, Blade Storm & 2 Ranks of Elusive. The great thing about Grants are that they help your pirate no matter what. If the pet doesn't show up or dies in battle, you still get all Grants, until you unequip the pet.

With pet powers, you only gain there benefits if the pet actually shows up & uses that power in battle. In PvE that isn't too much of a problem because a hardy pet can withstand a good bit (especially if it has Sneaky Sneaky) & the enemies don't target them as a "greater threat" as often. But there is also something to be said for even those Uncommon & Rare pet powers. So many of them are actually quite amazing & powerful aids for your pirate. Most of the Uncommon powers either gain your pirate 50% of an attribute or health for 2 Rds, or decrease an attribute of up to 9 enemies for 2 Rds-- some with infinite range. These are very powerful, providing your pet uses them. To decrease up to 6-8 enemies Accuracy by 50% for 2 rds, WOW. Also as a Buck, if my pet used a -50% Strength AoE on multiple enemies, that helps my chances for Critical Hits even that much more. But you are relying on that pet to show up in battle & actually use the power, versus a Grant being there no matter what.

And let's not forget the pet powers after Battle Standard placement...

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
There's also some pretty nifty Rare pet powers out there that could really come in handy if a pet decides to come and play and use them. Like...

Lionheart- (1st gen. Lionfish)- Heals all allies for 3 rounds while at the same time inflicting bleeding on all enemies for 3 rounds.

Sandstorm- (1st gen. Ostrich)- A cone shaped AoE with a range of 3, that can decrease up to 6 enemies' Accuracy by 100% for 2 rounds and at the same time decrease their movement by 50% for 2 rounds.

Time Warp- (1st gen. Mechanical Owl)- All allies gain attack power and movement speed for the duration of the battle.

Ravenous Frenzy- (1st gen. Clownfish) An infinite range, instant AoE that can drain health from up to 9 enemies and give 50% of all health drained back to your pirate. Nothing funny about that! The Clownfish....ain't no joke! (well, there is the whole Victory Pie debacle)

Earthquack- (1st gen. Quackosaurus) A instant AoE spell that removes all buffs and de-buffs from all allies.

So, all in all even without grants, there's plenty of pretty amazing powers that our pets can express and use in battle. Once again, you are kind of at the mercy of whether the pet shows up in battle and uses the power before being taken out. Unlike the grants that are there regardless. It seems that most pets seem to use their infinite range AoE attacks the first round they pop in, so they should at least be able to get off one great power to help you or hinder the enemy. Unless the enemy all goes for the pet in that very same round-- haven't seen that happen in normal, non-tower/arena PvE yet, though.

Hope this helps and good luck on getting and training up that Uber-pet!

Ensign
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for the replies Purple Captain and Valkoor. Sounds like a cool pet Captain. I really appreciate the information Valkoor. A lot of those rare powers do sound very helpful. I always learn a lot from your posts. Keep morphing and training guys, and please keep sharing the info with everyone. We are all thankful for it.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
There's also some pretty nifty Rare pet powers out there that could really come in handy if a pet decides to come and play and use them. Like...

Lionheart- (1st gen. Lionfish)- Heals all allies for 3 rounds while at the same time inflicting bleeding on all enemies for 3 rounds.

Sandstorm- (1st gen. Ostrich)- A cone shaped AoE with a range of 3, that can decrease up to 6 enemies' Accuracy by 100% for 2 rounds and at the same time decrease their movement by 50% for 2 rounds.

Time Warp- (1st gen. Mechanical Owl)- All allies gain attack power and movement speed for the duration of the battle.

Ravenous Frenzy- (1st gen. Clownfish) An infinite range, instant AoE that can drain health from up to 9 enemies and give 50% of all health drained back to your pirate. Nothing funny about that! The Clownfish....ain't no joke! (well, there is the whole Victory Pie debacle)

Earthquack- (1st gen. Quackosaurus) A instant AoE spell that removes all buffs and de-buffs from all allies.

So, all in all even without grants, there's plenty of pretty amazing powers that our pets can express and use in battle. Once again, you are kind of at the mercy of whether the pet shows up in battle and uses the power before being taken out. Unlike the grants that are there regardless. It seems that most pets seem to use their infinite range AoE attacks the first round they pop in, so they should at least be able to get off one great power to help you or hinder the enemy. Unless the enemy all goes for the pet in that very same round-- haven't seen that happen in normal, non-tower/arena PvE yet, though.

Hope this helps and good luck on getting and training up that Uber-pet!
Hey Valkoor is it confirmed that Time Warp's duration is for the whole battle? I have asked multiple people and I keep hearing conflicting stories. Some people tell me it only lasts 2 turns and other people tell me it lasts the whole battle. If you have any pet with it, any way we could meet in-game to test which one is true?

I definitely agree with you though, everyone has been caught up in the grant epic powers that these useful rare powers have been mostly ignored. If Time Warp does last the whole battle, then it is perhaps one of the best pet powers out there. Sandstorm is really interesting as well as it would make at least one of your opponent's companions essentially useless for 2 turns. Earthquack could backfire on you but also be really useful, it might be a great counter to those pesky Moo Manchu Terracota Warriors.

Another really useful one is Victory Pie - (1st gen. Clownfish) A 1 range (melee range) single target power that reduces the target's Weapon Power to 0 for 3 turns. Really useful against any enemy as they would do no damage for 3 turns.

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Some great information in here. One of my favorite pet powers isn't listed. I should say its only one of my favorites, just because it makes me laugh and laugh when I see it go off down in the arena.

Sweet Meteor of Doom - It comes from the first generation Dinolizard, and it really packs a punch!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Alex Hawkins on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
Hey Valkoor is it confirmed that Time Warp's duration is for the whole battle? I have asked multiple people and I keep hearing conflicting stories. Some people tell me it only lasts 2 turns and other people tell me it lasts the whole battle. If you have any pet with it, any way we could meet in-game to test which one is true?

I definitely agree with you though, everyone has been caught up in the grant epic powers that these useful rare powers have been mostly ignored. If Time Warp does last the whole battle, then it is perhaps one of the best pet powers out there. Sandstorm is really interesting as well as it would make at least one of your opponent's companions essentially useless for 2 turns. Earthquack could backfire on you but also be really useful, it might be a great counter to those pesky Moo Manchu Terracota Warriors.

Another really useful one is Victory Pie - (1st gen. Clownfish) A 1 range (melee range) single target power that reduces the target's Weapon Power to 0 for 3 turns. Really useful against any enemy as they would do no damage for 3 turns.
Hello Alex! You know that was something that I was hoping to find out as well-- about Time Warp that is. I have heard the same conflicting stories as you, and part of my posting the "lasts the whole battle" part, was in hopes that I was either right or wrong. Figuring if I was right, someone might confirm it and if I was wrong that maybe Decius or Ratbeard would catch wind of it and correct me.

I don't have a pet with Time Warp as I only acquired 1 Mechanical Owl and it never manifested. And even throughout my 100s of morphs with other players, I haven't been lucky enough to either morph with someone who had it manifested and/or get it to transfer and manifest on my pets. I have been in battle with some players who had Time Warp, but the battle was over in a matter of 3 rounds, so I didn't really get to see just "how long it lasts" and they weren't interested in testing. I took a shot saying it lasted the duration of the battle, based on the wiki listing Time Warp's range as permanent. But I'm really not sure if that means permanent as either; as long as you have the pet equipped your crew will receive it's bonuses since there is no range shown- regardless of the owl showing up, or if it meant permanent throughout the course of a battle. By posting one way, I had hoped that if I was wrong one of the developers would correct me...or a player with confirmed knowledge that it didn't work that way.

If I come across anyone with Time Warp, or acquire it via morphing, I'd be happy to test it out. In fact, I may actually post a Wanted to Morph: Time Warp Pet, thread on Central, just so I can hopefully get my hands on it for testing, and of course for it's usefulness factor.

Oh, you are so right about the Victory Pie power, I was more or less joking about the "debacle" part and really enjoy the clever naming of the power and what it does. To have a pet reduce an opponent's damage to 0 for 3 turns is pretty amazing. Since the pet would also lose attacking power, it would be great if that pet had either 2 granted powers/buffs or even buffs of it's own. But I had a question about that actually. If a pet with Victory Pie uses that power, can it still use other powers that also have buffs/de-buffs that accompany the damage that comes with those powers-- but just not actually do any damage when using the power? Or does the 0 damage part actually prevent the pet from using any powers with damage at all? Again, one of those powers I haven't been able to get my hands on but would like to see it in action.

Whatever the case, I think having a pet with a good mix of some of these rare (and even some uncommon) traits and a couple of really useful Grants, is the better way to go, versus having all grants and max pedigree-- especially if you are into PvP, in regards to those rare powers.

Again, if I get ahold of Time Warp I'll surely let you know. If so I can send you a message on Central, as I think you are Alex Deathflame over there?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Decius Duelmaster on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
Some great information in here. One of my favorite pet powers isn't listed. I should say its only one of my favorites, just because it makes me laugh and laugh when I see it go off down in the arena.

Sweet Meteor of Doom - It comes from the first generation Dinolizard, and it really packs a punch!
Yeah, I was going to list that one too! My Dinolizards are rather stingy and I somehow misplaced my 1st generation one-- think the Black Tiger got that one.

I have not seen it in action but is sounds Doomtastic. I could imagine that in a pet packed arena and in battle with many pets and summons that it would really reek some havoc and have feathers, minions and fur a flyin'.

I rather enjoy all of the "....of Doom" gear/power in the game too-- pretty funny for sure. I say all, but I really remember only 2 of them, still pretty funny though.

Ensign
Nov 12, 2014
Hi Decius. Decius got in on my post. I'm a little proud lol. Keep up the great info guys. I'm nerdy enough to write some of these cool powers down for future reference.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
Hello Alex! You know that was something that I was hoping to find out as well-- about Time Warp that is. I have heard the same conflicting stories as you, and part of my posting the "lasts the whole battle" part, was in hopes that I was either right or wrong. Figuring if I was right, someone might confirm it and if I was wrong that maybe Decius or Ratbeard would catch wind of it and correct me.

I don't have a pet with Time Warp as I only acquired 1 Mechanical Owl and it never manifested. And even throughout my 100s of morphs with other players, I haven't been lucky enough to either morph with someone who had it manifested and/or get it to transfer and manifest on my pets. I have been in battle with some players who had Time Warp, but the battle was over in a matter of 3 rounds, so I didn't really get to see just "how long it lasts" and they weren't interested in testing. I took a shot saying it lasted the duration of the battle, based on the wiki listing Time Warp's range as permanent. But I'm really not sure if that means permanent as either; as long as you have the pet equipped your crew will receive it's bonuses since there is no range shown- regardless of the owl showing up, or if it meant permanent throughout the course of a battle. By posting one way, I had hoped that if I was wrong one of the developers would correct me...or a player with confirmed knowledge that it didn't work that way.

If I come across anyone with Time Warp, or acquire it via morphing, I'd be happy to test it out. In fact, I may actually post a Wanted to Morph: Time Warp Pet, thread on Central, just so I can hopefully get my hands on it for testing, and of course for it's usefulness factor.

Oh, you are so right about the Victory Pie power, I was more or less joking about the "debacle" part and really enjoy the clever naming of the power and what it does. To have a pet reduce an opponent's damage to 0 for 3 turns is pretty amazing. Since the pet would also lose attacking power, it would be great if that pet had either 2 granted powers/buffs or even buffs of it's own. But I had a question about that actually. If a pet with Victory Pie uses that power, can it still use other powers that also have buffs/de-buffs that accompany the damage that comes with those powers-- but just not actually do any damage when using the power? Or does the 0 damage part actually prevent the pet from using any powers with damage at all? Again, one of those powers I haven't been able to get my hands on but would like to see it in action.

Whatever the case, I think having a pet with a good mix of some of these rare (and even some uncommon) traits and a couple of really useful Grants, is the better way to go, versus having all grants and max pedigree-- especially if you are into PvP, in regards to those rare powers.

Again, if I get ahold of Time Warp I'll surely let you know. If so I can send you a message on Central, as I think you are Alex Deathflame over there?
Yep Alex Deathflame over at Central. Thanks for your answer. I actually plan on buying a Mechanical Owl today and see if I get lucky with it. If it happens, I'll make sure to post my findings here :) (assuming Decius or Ratbeard stay quiet on the matter haha)

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
mayhooligan on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
Hi Decius. Decius got in on my post. I'm a little proud lol. Keep up the great info guys. I'm nerdy enough to write some of these cool powers down for future reference.
What? Where? Do we need to call an exterminator? How could you let a think like that happen?

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
I have sweet meteor of doom manifested on a pet (I think a paper dragon) if anyone needs it and Valkoor I know a few folks with Time Warp I'll see if I can get it on a pet.

~ Clumsy Calamity

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Calamity PixieShad... on Jan 11, 2015 wrote:
I have sweet meteor of doom manifested on a pet (I think a paper dragon) if anyone needs it and Valkoor I know a few folks with Time Warp I'll see if I can get it on a pet.

~ Clumsy Calamity
Why thank you Ms. Calamity...yeehaw! In my quest for multi-pet max pedigree, 5 & 6 grants pets and collecting all the species-- I have overlooked and even tossed out and replaced some of these other fantastic and quite useful powers.....and you know what, I kind of miss them. I used to have such a fine assortment of "snowflakes" scattered about all of my houses and pirates and now I more or less have same size, same shape snowballs scampering around, in which some of that uniqueness dissolved and just got blended in. Great pets no doubt, but a little more spice would help stir the pot up a bit.

So, it would be quite nice to mix some of those really cool and useful traits and powers back into the mix, without having to purchase every 1st gen. pet to have a shot at having the coolness manifest itself. I thank you for the offer and for trying to round up those powers. But of course, please don't let it take away from your own mad morphing agenda-- it's gotten ahold of us all.....what a tight grip too!

Thanks again!

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
I'm constantly trying to figure out what talents I want on a pet and it seems every day I change my mind so I've got a large assortment of abilities scattered about. While I was in the pack to race to the 700s (I still only have 2 of them). I have never been a biggest fan of the grant powers. For my low level characters they are amazing! A grants regroup, blade storm, and mighty charge on my baby swash is a life savor, but on my Max Privy (who I play more like a WD) not so useful.

Right Now I'm working to get the following on a Santa Claws (since it has a bonus loyal 2) so 35% chance to join the battle every round. (I suppose the ostrich in a pear tree would work, but really the jingle bells quack gets old)

Talents:
Charm 2 - I am a huge fan of Charm. Yes it can be annoying on a Moo run with an experienced team and can slow you down, but it is amazing when you solo or is a life savor at times in the smugglers arena. I watched Medusa slaughter 2 of her friends. (Hehe giggles)

Merciless 2- this finishes off opponents in the red health zone. I watched one in Moo take out a guy with 800 health left.

Eagle Eyes 2 - this one I'm still iffy on, extra range is always nice but pets have a tendency to wander off.

or

Scent 2 to find those evil untargetable guys

Powers:

Regroup - the one where the pet can cast

Rouse - the one where the pet casts

Lionheart - already described

Now the major draw back on this pet is if it doesn't join the battle it doesn't do me any good at all, and it can stupidly heal an unintended character like a charmed Medusa -.- but any time a pet can cast a heal and free me up to do other things makes me happy. Why would I want yet another regroup card. You got to ask yourself, how many rounds does your average fight last? 3-4 so you get to play 3-4 abilities. You typically won't need heals turn 1 so you have time to dig and discard for them.

Anyway sorry rambling Valkoor you know how to find me just hollar and I have a morphing agenda?

~Clumsy Calamity

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Calamity PixieShad... on Jan 12, 2015 wrote:
I'm constantly trying to figure out what talents I want on a pet and it seems every day I change my mind so I've got a large assortment of abilities scattered about. While I was in the pack to race to the 700s (I still only have 2 of them). I have never been a biggest fan of the grant powers. For my low level characters they are amazing! A grants regroup, blade storm, and mighty charge on my baby swash is a life savor, but on my Max Privy (who I play more like a WD) not so useful.

Right Now I'm working to get the following on a Santa Claws (since it has a bonus loyal 2) so 35% chance to join the battle every round. (I suppose the ostrich in a pear tree would work, but really the jingle bells quack gets old)

Talents:
Charm 2 - I am a huge fan of Charm. Yes it can be annoying on a Moo run with an experienced team and can slow you down, but it is amazing when you solo or is a life savor at times in the smugglers arena. I watched Medusa slaughter 2 of her friends. (Hehe giggles)

Merciless 2- this finishes off opponents in the red health zone. I watched one in Moo take out a guy with 800 health left.

Eagle Eyes 2 - this one I'm still iffy on, extra range is always nice but pets have a tendency to wander off.

or

Scent 2 to find those evil untargetable guys

Powers:

Regroup - the one where the pet can cast

Rouse - the one where the pet casts

Lionheart - already described

Now the major draw back on this pet is if it doesn't join the battle it doesn't do me any good at all, and it can stupidly heal an unintended character like a charmed Medusa -.- but any time a pet can cast a heal and free me up to do other things makes me happy. Why would I want yet another regroup card. You got to ask yourself, how many rounds does your average fight last? 3-4 so you get to play 3-4 abilities. You typically won't need heals turn 1 so you have time to dig and discard for them.

Anyway sorry rambling Valkoor you know how to find me just hollar and I have a morphing agenda?

~Clumsy Calamity
Lol, yes Calamity, all of us morphers have a morphing agenda...that's why we morph. It may not follow a specific outline or course of action, but we continue to morph for some purpose or purposes.

Some to get cool new pets, some as collectors, some to meet friends, some to share the wealth, some to work on max pedigree, some for a superior PvP pet, some to help our pirates out in battle, some with crazed looks in our eyes while searching for hybrids-- regardless of what it may be, we all morph for some purpose or purposes. As for me, I'm of the "All of above" agenda type, I just jump all over the place with my order.

As for your traits, I really like Gaze 2 a lot as well. There's only a few instances in which it is a minor nuisance- like charming the last 1 or 2 enemies on the board over and over again, thus delaying your victorious moment....and even fewer times an out right pain- like the pet being charmed by Faye and then charming multiple allies (including pirates) and summoned minions for several rounds. But for the most part it is quite a valuable trait for a pet to possess. I've been meaning to ask Ratbeard if the Arena enemies possess a higher resistance to a pet's Charming Gaze. In 3 or 4 battles in a row my Gaze 2 pet tried 3 times in a row to charm some of the Arena's enemies and was only successful maybe 2 or 3 out of close to a dozen attempts.

And for Scent 2, I agree that for PvP it would be a near must but I personally have no use for it at the present, because I don't engage in PvP, where the enemy most certainly will be hidden. But I can imagine that with future content and worlds around the corner, some enemies with the hidden ability may be making their appearance as well. In that case I would most certainly want a PvE pet with Scent 1 or 2 or even 3.

I would love to see pets be able to acquire the Hold the Line talent to help stop advancing enemies. Maybe this too will be added into the mix, with future content.

I also think that pets with Stat buffing powers are a great thing to have-- like pets that can cast Calm the Troops, Kraken's Coils and Wind Spirit. Having a pet that shows up in battle do the crew stat-buffing for you, can free you up to shield or attack or even heal. So you can take care of 2 birds with 1 stone, so-to-speak. To get Critical Hit Chance bonuses, a boost in actual damage numbers, all via the pet, and still be able to shield, unleash a power attack or heal up a crew member is very nice. Of course it all depends on your pet showing up in battle and actually using the Buff right away. But if I see one of my pets pop in and right away use a stat buff, I'm going on the defensive or offensive the very next round.

I'm right there with you though, there's a great many fantastic ways to go and avenues to take to producing a very useful and helpful pet. And I too think that Grants aren't all they are cracked up to be, maybe having a couple mixed in with some amazing pet powers or other talents is ok.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
As I messaged Valkoor in Central, I got lucky and got a pet with Time Warp.

Time Warp - Duration is technically 3 turns, but by the time its your turn again (after the pet uses the power), it is down to 2 turns, so you only get 2 turns to use it. The power doubles the movement speed of all companions and players on your team. In addition, it also gives them a Relentless/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo epic rank, similar to what Crow Song does.

I did discover something else during my tests though, and its something that I think its a problem in the AI of all summons. If the summon has a shield or buff power (like Time Warp) the pet will rarely, if ever, use it in a match unless he is frozen due to frozen tide. It seems the priority of summons is Attack -> Move -> Buff/Shields. If they can attack a target, they will always attack that target with a power or regular attack. If all the targets are hidden, instead of buffing or shielding, the pets and summons prefer to just move randomly about the board. The only time I have seen my pets use Time Warp is when it was frozen in place to where it couldn't attack or move.

This seems like a flaw with the AI, and I think it also applies to enemies like the Nefarious 5 that have other powers in their pool (Faye's Zeal, the Swash has Black Fog) where they will always attack instead of buffing. As long as it stays that way, a pet that learns Time Warp, or Wind Spirit, Kraken's Coils, or any of the other buffs or shields that pets can learn, is a bit useless because very very rarely will the pet ever use it in a match.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Alex Hawkins on Jan 13, 2015 wrote:
As I messaged Valkoor in Central, I got lucky and got a pet with Time Warp.

Time Warp - Duration is technically 3 turns, but by the time its your turn again (after the pet uses the power), it is down to 2 turns, so you only get 2 turns to use it. The power doubles the movement speed of all companions and players on your team. In addition, it also gives them a Relentless/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo epic rank, similar to what Crow Song does.

I did discover something else during my tests though, and its something that I think its a problem in the AI of all summons. If the summon has a shield or buff power (like Time Warp) the pet will rarely, if ever, use it in a match unless he is frozen due to frozen tide. It seems the priority of summons is Attack -> Move -> Buff/Shields. If they can attack a target, they will always attack that target with a power or regular attack. If all the targets are hidden, instead of buffing or shielding, the pets and summons prefer to just move randomly about the board. The only time I have seen my pets use Time Warp is when it was frozen in place to where it couldn't attack or move.

This seems like a flaw with the AI, and I think it also applies to enemies like the Nefarious 5 that have other powers in their pool (Faye's Zeal, the Swash has Black Fog) where they will always attack instead of buffing. As long as it stays that way, a pet that learns Time Warp, or Wind Spirit, Kraken's Coils, or any of the other buffs or shields that pets can learn, is a bit useless because very very rarely will the pet ever use it in a match.
Thank you for all that great info and for the testing, Alex. I too have noticed that a pet rarely uses it's buffing powers and think it odd that, in your findings, the pets and summons would just choose to wander around the board instead of buffing or shielding-- when all enemies are hidden. I have also noticed this in other instances too, besides when the enemies are just hidden.

I have a couple of Gaze 2 & 3 pets that also possess a buffing power that the pet can actually use. I don't use them anymore being that I have acquired better pets since, but there have been times when a pet with Gaze 2 or 3 would charm the last remaining 1 or 2 enemies on the board (in the same round), thus leaving no enemies available to be targeted in the ensuing round. Just as you noted, in that next round the pets just moved about the board on their turn instead of using the buffing power that they still had available to them. It would seem fitting that if there were no available enemies to target, that the pet would then use any buffing,shielding and/or healing (if needed) it had at it's disposal. Possibly the programming for the pet calculates "no threat" and with no targetable enemies, the pet just moves-- searching for the next threat.

Good stuff Alex and thank you for providing this info and for going out and purchasing the Mechanical Owl, in hopes of getting lucky and having Time Warp manifest. And Congrats on the owl actually deciding to play nice for you.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
i have time warp manifested in a handful of pets all from my owl, willing to morph with anyone who would love the skill as much as i do...also i wish Decius would add a new grant to the talent side specifically i would kill for valor armor grant as i find it a necessary move in my card powers, my level 63 witchdoctotor has to wear a level 20ish hat just to have the move...

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
also as far as grant type talents i think double tap or burst fire would be sought after, or even artillary...

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
i have a feeling all the wonderful staff at pirate101 are extremely busy atm finalizing our next batch of goodies...so first of all am thanking them all for their time, creativity and effort, their hard work combined with recognition of our ideas is a great combo

my suggestion is that pets be allowed to learn tough 4 for them only, not a grant, so that our most loyal always fresh companions dont die too soon, especially as more and more pirates are hitting 65 rank, some of us want to see these beautiful allies last throughout a tough battle...

one thing that makes pirate101 pets amazing and special is the vast range of their abilities...it makes sense that they could get health as high as a minor companion 2000ish is a better amount for them in my opinion...plus for all those who want a pvp pet it would be way beneficial as well...

i love my friends in the tent...and i appreciate all their hard work in making max pedigree pets, most of my friends share at will to anyone polite that asks...however sadly there are others in the tent that feel 700 is more of a status statement unneeded arguements break out even cussing at times and that can be very frustrating for those of us wanting a friendly hybrid combo convo...

it hurts my heart to see these sweet kids come in the tent, who are happy and totally thrilled with their current pet..one they got from a gift card from an uncle or whatnot...to see that they diligently trained them to mega from hours farming at devilfish hollow...only ventured in to see if they might find a friend for their pet or just curious about the tent...just to be bombarded with comments that their pet is no good and they "need" a max pedigree pet...some leave very unhappy...

i feel we could flip this tent upside down just with the addition of tough 4 on the pets talent list...only for pets not as a grant for the pirate....and help pirates pets excel in more than just as a pet that adds more powers to your hand...

ty for listening....

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
mayhooligan on Jan 6, 2015 wrote:
My Ideal pet would be : Loyal 3 (somehow went back in time and got him before the update), Grants: Turn the Tide, Grants: Elusive, Charming Gaze 2, Grants: Regroup, Brutal Charge, and Grants: Kraken's Lament. I find that pets are not that useful once you get to max level for actual combat fighting (about as powerful as a summon) but because of the powers they give they are amazing.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
rainbow blessing! so op :D luvs u decius for giving us the new bunnicorn finally ty ty ty mine hasnt learned it yet but friends have said irs amazing i hope mine gets it at 40 :) plus so surprised i am the first to say ty for the bunnicorn...so many have wanted it forever... i even gifted a few out because the crowns price was so reasonable :3 hoping to find a hybrid be neat XD but if i get lucky and mine learns rainbow blessing i gonna put it to my verdant owl with her timewarp and may cast regroup, relentless and a couple of granted abiliries for me... well i love the pirate pets so many choices to make them amazing and no matter what they always helpful ty again keep up the awesome work ki :)
stormyjen