Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion Death too Punishing

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 10, 2009
I find that at mid-level range about the time you hit mooshu, you have very few good companions unless you buy them and death of a companion isn't that uncommon in solo play. The punishment of companion death is too severe the amount of gold takes a good 15-20minutes to get and if you don't do that its a 2 hour wait period. I find it easier to just log off and not play after my favorite companions die. It leaves very little reason to want to keep a subscription to the game with how punishing the death system is.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CaptainSuslik on Dec 21, 2014 wrote:
I find that at mid-level range about the time you hit mooshu, you have very few good companions unless you buy them and death of a companion isn't that uncommon in solo play. The punishment of companion death is too severe the amount of gold takes a good 15-20minutes to get and if you don't do that its a 2 hour wait period. I find it easier to just log off and not play after my favorite companions die. It leaves very little reason to want to keep a subscription to the game with how punishing the death system is.
First let me point out your companions aren't 'dead' they are wounded, you can wake them up and set them to a task that helps you: have them do Brawlin' for their own XP, Sailin' for your nautical XP or Pet Wranglin'. Plunderin' for gold or Scavengin'for gear ( they might even bring you gear with a power card! ) .
You claim that you are using your 'favorites' over and over, have you trained and leveled less favorite companions? Have you tried giving them a chance? Not all companions suit all battles, try changing strategies with different companions and then MooShu ( and other worlds ) will not be such a drain on your time.

Petty Officer
Aug 22, 2010
I hate it when my favorite companions go to the emergency room too, but honestly... I like the new system. At 1st I didn't like it, but after I played through it a while, I've grown to like this new companion system a lot more than the old one.

1... It's more realistic & it gives you a real sense of threat.
2... It's forced me to develop new tactics & to be more strategic, to find ways to protect my companions in battle. Now, even in solo play, I've fought most battles from Mooshu & beyond without loosing any companions. It's very rare that I have a wounded companion now.

Granted, it's not easy, & I hate it when the enemy picks on my Ninja Kitty 1st mate, but it does make the game more interesting.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
I have to agree somewhat with the time it take for a companion to come back. This is especially a problem with Swashbucklers which die easier and because of the lower health, waking them up will often just result in a quick death. Now this is bad enough, but for me it is even worse, because I have a spotty internet connect at best, often I will disconnect, reconnect, but the battle will not resume. I am forced to close and the game and whenever I come back all of the companions in that battle are dead. I just wish the game was a bit more forgiving in this aspect. I think that 30 minutes would be a fair max time for companions, or maybe the number of companions of the same time would effect the healing time. Also maybe companions that were killed by bosses/crits may have a lower healing time and reqular kills will have the regular respawn time (or vice versa) Also less of a respawn time if the companion is a lower level.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Also less of a respawn time if the companion is a lower level.

Respawn time is significantly lower with lower level companions. However, the higher you train them, the longer they'll need to heal. It's a balancing act between being useful and quick to recover.

If the heal time really bothers you, start training your companions in scrappin' so they heal faster. Consider retraining your favorites so they have better hit points and worry less about maxing the damage they do pre-buffs.

I found that I had to adjust my play style considerably when the new companion wounding system came in effect. I could no longer use them as mere cannon fodder then zip out to a life fountain to recover them, so I had to get tactical in my game. I actually enjoy the game more when I have to think about how to use the companions I get. Outside the tower of Moo Manchu, I rarely have a companion down, and when one is, I wake him up and get him pet wranglin' for me while he heals up.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
It's not only the major characters always doing the battle on your side. Some one pointed out that you need to give them a break, and give the other companions a chance to join the fight. There are no favorites in my opinon in pirates,sometimes the supporting characters are good, like Thunder Hoof he is a good fighter but sadly under used,the only he need is a second tire.

In other words pirate the whole crew works together as one team. ( Even I have to use Tricky Viny in battle when Hawkules is down and out. )

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Voodoo Cornelius on Dec 29, 2014 wrote:
I have to agree somewhat with the time it take for a companion to come back. This is especially a problem with Swashbucklers which die easier and because of the lower health, waking them up will often just result in a quick death. Now this is bad enough, but for me it is even worse, because I have a spotty internet connect at best, often I will disconnect, reconnect, but the battle will not resume. I am forced to close and the game and whenever I come back all of the companions in that battle are dead. I just wish the game was a bit more forgiving in this aspect. I think that 30 minutes would be a fair max time for companions, or maybe the number of companions of the same time would effect the healing time. Also maybe companions that were killed by bosses/crits may have a lower healing time and reqular kills will have the regular respawn time (or vice versa) Also less of a respawn time if the companion is a lower level.
For some reason I cut this off at "if the companion is at a lower level. I meant to say, "Less of a respawn time if the companion is a lower level then those who killed them.