Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Buccaneers in PvP?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 22, 2008
I am currently working on a buccaneer. For you pvpers, what are your experiences with them? What do you notice that works well for their strategy? I am only level 47 at the time of this posting and plan to be level 65 within the month.

Ensign
Jun 16, 2013
Epic Patrick on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
I am currently working on a buccaneer. For you pvpers, what are your experiences with them? What do you notice that works well for their strategy? I am only level 47 at the time of this posting and plan to be level 65 within the month.
To put it simply, lots of people are using the newly coined "Charge" strategy (an original name if ever there was one).
It basically consists of farming for a lot of Valor's Fortress/Valor's Armor gear and training Barnabus, Pete Quin, and getting Goronado (you get him by defeating Gortez 25 times and then he becomes available in the crown shop). All 3 of these companions have Viscious Charge allowing for double movement and reducing the target's accuracy.
So what they do is buff up their entire team with forts and then charge with themselves and their companions, each aiming for a different target, thus reducing the entire opposing team (this is a 1v1 scenario, by the by). At which point, bucks just proceed to pummel their opponents to death.

Now, this is the basic idea of this strategy and is currently the most effective strategy for bucks at the moment. I would highly encourage you to at least try and change this to better fit your preferred style of play. I say this for a couple of reasons. One: It will feel better to you in general and not so much like you're just copying everyone else. Two: Other players are already starting to come up with counter strategies (so affective, others not so much. It's all trial and error, really). So by simply changing one or two things about this in your approach to it, you can completely disrupt an opponents counter strategy to the normal Charge.

Of course, it's always up to you in the end. Maybe you'll be the one to break the mold and come up with an all around better strategy to play with

Silly Sebastian (,.)

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Silly Sebastian on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
To put it simply, lots of people are using the newly coined "Charge" strategy (an original name if ever there was one).
It basically consists of farming for a lot of Valor's Fortress/Valor's Armor gear and training Barnabus, Pete Quin, and getting Goronado (you get him by defeating Gortez 25 times and then he becomes available in the crown shop). All 3 of these companions have Viscious Charge allowing for double movement and reducing the target's accuracy.
So what they do is buff up their entire team with forts and then charge with themselves and their companions, each aiming for a different target, thus reducing the entire opposing team (this is a 1v1 scenario, by the by). At which point, bucks just proceed to pummel their opponents to death.

Now, this is the basic idea of this strategy and is currently the most effective strategy for bucks at the moment. I would highly encourage you to at least try and change this to better fit your preferred style of play. I say this for a couple of reasons. One: It will feel better to you in general and not so much like you're just copying everyone else. Two: Other players are already starting to come up with counter strategies (so affective, others not so much. It's all trial and error, really). So by simply changing one or two things about this in your approach to it, you can completely disrupt an opponents counter strategy to the normal Charge.

Of course, it's always up to you in the end. Maybe you'll be the one to break the mold and come up with an all around better strategy to play with

Silly Sebastian (,.)
one of those counters is for privateers only which I use, I use zang cha gornado and marchioness, when the bucks companions charge and vicious my troops I use zeal, and marchioness's remove debuffs power then use goro and zang's reduce accuracy's on pete and goro, or I just use bloods fire and hide behind that and pray they don't have bombs

Ensign
Jun 16, 2013
zuto4011a on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
one of those counters is for privateers only which I use, I use zang cha gornado and marchioness, when the bucks companions charge and vicious my troops I use zeal, and marchioness's remove debuffs power then use goro and zang's reduce accuracy's on pete and goro, or I just use bloods fire and hide behind that and pray they don't have bombs
Was the out shielding not working? Just curious is all

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
I dominate usually when I play as my Buccaneer, of course you need good strategy. If I were you, I would uses all the charge attacks on Musketeers and Witchdoctors. This creates a huge advantage for you in the fight so that you don't need to really worry about people landing hits on you. Honestly, people don't like Buccaneers or call them weak, but I think different. I think Buccaneers are big tanks. A lot of defense, big attack, we are indeed a force to be reckoned with. Of course you must use strategy to get the upper hand in any fight. See you in the Spiral

Ensign
Jul 19, 2008
zuto4011a on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
The simplest way to counter chargers in my opinion without having to take one or two turns is to just put three points in repel boarders and one in hold the line on Ratbeard. It works especially well especially with overwatch muskets.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
My strategy is effectively "Squid, Shark, Levi's Call, Whale, Vicious Charge, Hide, Assassin's Strike." And nighty-night for the enemy!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Epic Patrick on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
I think Buccaneers are currently the best class for pvp. They can do almost as much damage as a Swashbuckler and their powers are better because they are able to do damage and debuff their target at the same time plus they have much more health. Swashbucklers don't have any powers like that although there is gear that provides it. The recent fix to 'Hidden' has not had the impact that many anticipated and really hasn't changed anything. My Swashbuckler still doesn't do double damage every time 'Hidden' is used. I have a pirate from each class, and though I prefer my Swashbuckler, I have to admit that Buccaneers are on top of the pvp food chain at the moment.

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
Buccs are powerful, but it's a lot of work.
you need to make thousands for the best gear, and $$$ for crowns.
next is training, we need to practice to pick up strategies, and also companions, it's like a game of chess, you need to know what you're doing. you need to spend coins on companion training points, so they can stay in shape. It's fare if you ask me, because we also need to farm.