Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Calling all High-Level Swashbucklers!

AuthorMessage
Commodore
May 31, 2009
So, I was wondering, how did you train your Sarah Steele? I am a level 49 in Mooshu (just started Subata Skyway) and my Sarah is a level 46 Mouse Corsair. I have her with:

Talents- Armored 2, Rough 2, Accurate 3, Strong 1, Dodgy 1, Agile 1, and Scrapper 1. (I plan to get rid of Strong 1 and possibly Agile 1 in my reset.)

Powers- First Strike 1, Riposte 1, and Blade Storm 1.

I haven't used my free reset for her yet, and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to re-train her. She needs to have a bit more oomph to live through some of the battles in Mooshu, and I don't have enough gold yet to buy a lot of training points, as I just bought a level 50 Mooshu Galleon.

I know Riposte is a good epic to train, but First Strike is a must for Swashbucklers, and her Blade Storm is really good. Please help me out!

Thanks!

-Misty Jackson, level 49 Swashbuckler

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
So, I was wondering, how did you train your Sarah Steele? I am a level 49 in Mooshu (just started Subata Skyway) and my Sarah is a level 46 Mouse Corsair. I have her with:

Talents- Armored 2, Rough 2, Accurate 3, Strong 1, Dodgy 1, Agile 1, and Scrapper 1. (I plan to get rid of Strong 1 and possibly Agile 1 in my reset.)

I haven't used my free reset for her yet, and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to re-train her. She needs to have a bit more oomph to live through some of the battles in Mooshu, and I don't have enough gold yet to buy a lot of training points, as I just bought a level 50 Mooshu Galleon.

I know Riposte is a good epic to train, but First Strike is a must for Swashbucklers, and her Blade Storm is really good. Please help me out!

Thanks!

Ok, what I'm about to suggest may seem counter-intuitive, but Sarah is a swashbuckler- so her greatest strength is her agility. Don't train her like a buccaneer. Cancel her armor, rough and strong; reinvest those points in dodgy and agile ( scrapper is ok as her health is a weak point ) She really doesn't need Bladestorm, give her a second riposte or first strike.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:

Thanks!

Hey Misty!

Sarah is a pretty handy companion. She's my third mate on my own Swashbuckler. As for what I trained on here, I gave her the following talents:

Rough 4, Agility 4, Accuracy 4, and Dodgy 4

The reason behind Agility 4 is so that her critical chance increases against other enemies and it helps her deal more damage. I did not give her Scrapper 1 because I usually cloak her first while the enemies are close up. This keeps her hidden and safe from enemies for a round or 2. I also trained her dodgy up so she has maximum dodging capabilities, therefore being able to survive for much longer. I combine her with Flanders and El Toro, Flanders for her own Agility buff and El Toro for his espirit, a very valuable power in helping Swashbucklers hit and dodge more often.

As for Epics, I gave mine First Strike 2 and Riposte. Of course, other combinations I feel are good are Repel Boarders 2, First Strike, and Riposte, as well as First Strike and Riposte 2. Bladestorm is handy at times, but it's not very reliable in terms of activating it. First Strike, Riposte, and Repel Boarders are all more reliable in terms of triggering it.

Of course, these are my own thoughts

Ensign
Aug 10, 2009
I went with Rough 3, Tough 3, Dodgy 3, Agile 3, Scrapper 2, and I believe Armored 1. Strong is not as beneficial to Sarah as Agile is, because Agile can raise her weapon power.

Powers were First Strike 1, Riposte 1, and Blade Storm 1. And obviously Repel Boarders, which in fact seems like a curse. (Anyone with Walk In Shadows should NOT have Repel Boarders, in my opinion)

Sarah is not worth making a tanky companion in my opinion, she's more of a power house. Of course this is only my opinion.

I hope I could help!

Petty Officer
Mar 11, 2011
First, get rid of armored and strong. As she is a Swashbuckler replace the Strong to Agile, maxed. The Agility boosts her damage and criticals when fighting Low-Agility enemies.
Then give her Dodgy(maxed). She needs as high dodge as she can get if you want Riposte to go off more often.

If you use El Toro(at Masked Champion) the Espirit de Corps really helps. Get rid of Blade Storm and give her Riposte(2). Give her Rough(maxed) so she does more damage.

I would'nt suggest Scrapper, and I would use the remaining talent slots for max Accurate, so she misses less often.

Overall she will have:

Talents: Agile 3, Dodgy 3, Rough 3 and Accurate 3. (If all don't go to rank 3 then she is not high enough level).

Epic Talents: Repel Boarders 1, Riposte 2, First Strike 1

Powers: Critical Strike 3, Shadowdance, Swashbuckler's Strike, Walk in Darkness

Good Luck! You don't have to do all of this, but it's a recommendation.

Jacob 65

Petty Officer
May 21, 2008
Hello fellow swashbuckler, I would suggest you to get First Strike 2 instead of Blade Storm 1. Why? Because Blade Storm is more likely for Buccaneers. I doubt Sarah is your "finish off" buddy. So just a few tips:

Raise Dodgy as much as possible! Why? Keep reading.
First Strike 2 is mandatory as from my experience opponents always like to attack Sarah first, they always attack females first! Didn't you see that? So manly!
You missed! Ha-ha take that! - Riposte 2 is also mandatory, once you raise Dodgy a lot, Sarah will be literally dodgy and will successfully use all of her Riposte moves.

Also if you have any other questions, I am glad to help!

Sincerely yours,
Samuel the Swashbuckler

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Awesome! Thank you so, so much, all this was so helpful! I realized after this posted that I didn't put anything about my battle strategy (which I was planning to do!)

My team is usually- Myself, Bonnie Anne (fox sniper), Sarah Steele, and Old Scratch (whatever his second promotion is).

I like having two ranged attackers and two melee fighters. If Sarah faints, I'll replace her with El Toro, but that doesn't happen very often. I'm now a level 51 and I believe Sarah is now a level 48 or 49.

I know, nobody uses Old Scratch, but he doesn't fizzle as much as he used to for me. Not sure what I did, and I haven't reset him either. He's actually hitting more than he's missing now. I reset Bonnie Anne yesterday based off of another post about her epics and she's AMAZING now!

My strategy- I usually cloak myself on the first round and either have Bonnie Anne go for the closest enemy or move to one of the corners on the battle board. I have Sarah use shadowdance to boost her criticals. I usually have Scratch summon the skeletal corsair on the first round.

Next, I send myself in, and if the setup is right I'll use a poison, which doesn't cancel walk in darkness. Sarah goes for the nearest enemy, and Bonnie and Old Scratch target whatever's close.

I put myself and Sarah against ranged enemies, and have Bonnie Anne and Old Scratch next to each other, picking off the melee enemies. I go for one enemy at a time, generally the strongest first. Then I move to the weakest, which by then are pretty worn down by epic triggers and Old Scratch's 3x3 targeting. I do boss fights opposite this, and get rid of the minions before the boss. (usually) Sometimes an opportunity presents itself, and a back stab will critical and knock the boss out of the fight.

If that was confusing, sorry! I put that together from reading something that Valkoor the Victorious posted. A thank-you to him as well for putting up those tips and tricks!

If you have any more suggestions based on this, please post!