Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Questions for your high level Musketeers

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Apr 27, 2012
1. What type of companions do you use ( such as other Musketeers, Witchdoctors etc.)?
2. What specific companions have you used for best results?
3. What skills do you place at the top of your skill book
4. In combat on a ship, which skills do you use first: bombs, attribute buffing, spikes/traps etc?
4. In combat on land, which skills do you use first: bombs, attribute buffing, traps etc?

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Hi Sandy! Welcome to the message boards! To answer your question, I personally use other Musketeer companions. For Instance, Chantal Livingstone, Bonnie Anne, and Louis LeBuisqe. Sometimes I replace Bonnie Anne for El Toro at times. Honestly, the best companions for Musketeers so far have to be Chantal with Burst Fire 2, Overwatch and Quick Draw, Bonnie Anne with Burst Fire, 2 Overwatch, Quick Draw and Double Tap, El Toro with Reposte 2, Relentless and First Strike and finally Louis LeBuisqe, With Overwatch 3 and Quick Draw. Louis LeBuisqe has saved me in many, many, many situations. Since he has Overwatch 3, he not only strikes 3 oncoming opponents, but will also give them a decrease accuracy buff! This is why I choose El Toro. I always make sure they are near each other so if someone wants to strike a blow against El Toro they will have to go through Louis's overwatch and a decreased accuracy buff too before they attack El Toro, and 95% of those times, that lower accuracy buff allowed El Toro to dodge attacks easier. Musketeers can be quite a powerhouse! :) Use lots of Strategies with all of your traps you receive as a Musketeer, because you can be quite a powerhouse if you play with strategy! ;)

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
sandy20850 on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
1. What type of companions do you use ( such as other Musketeers, Witchdoctors etc.)?
4. In combat on a ship, which skills do you use first: bombs, attribute buffing, spikes/traps etc?
4. In combat on land, which skills do you use first: bombs, attribute buffing, traps etc?
I have an astonishing 82 companions, so the ones I use vary, but here is my best team. My best team is all Swashbucklers, Kawil Doomclaw, Samocles, and Avis Avorious(Eagle Hoplite). They do obnoxious damage amounts and keep enemies at bay while I snipe enemies from WAY WAY back behind my companions. For the best results, my companion team is as follows. Chantal Livingstone, Bonnie Anne, and Lefty. No one ever gets close enough to attack us lol.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Hey Sandy!

The companions I use mostly consist of Agility-based companions like Chantal or El Toro because of my agility buffs providing them with extra damage and extra Relentless/Burst Fire. Although occasionally I may use a Buccaneer companion when fighting off other Muskets with a clear advantage over me in terms of epics.

My current trio is El Toro, Chantal, and Louis, although sometimes I switch off Louis with a couple of other companions like Bonnie, Wing Chun, or Private Mills. El Toro is useful with his Espirit de Corps to better ensure hits for my companions. My Chantal has a useful Agility buff that lasts a good 5 rounds. I gave my Louis Overwatch 3, which reduces the accuracy of anyone hit by Overwatch by 50% for one round. This is useful in giving my companions a break whenever an intimidating Buccaneer or a dangerous Swashbuckler comes in and tries to attack. Wing Chun has a very useful accuracy buff as well as a convenient heal to help support my team. Bonnie Anne is a very useful long ranged musket capable of doing some nice damage if trained properly. Private Mills is also a good alternative in case Bonnie gets wounded.

Those are just my thoughts

Petty Officer
Apr 27, 2012
What about combat? What skills/abilities do you start off with and how is your spell book organized?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
What about combat? What skills/abilities do you start off with and how is your spell book organized?
I always start off with bombs and traps as they can reach the furthest and lay them out so that the enemy has to go through them to get to me. I always have Luis on my crew to double up on well placed explosions. Then while they dance through the fire I boost to have more power for when the shooting starts.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
As for combat, I have devised a new strategy today actually, one that is more useful to a max level Musketeer.

I have my Bounding Overwatch and my Suppression Fire powers as the first 2 slots. Bounding Overwatch grants all Muskets an extra rank of Overwatch. IE: If your Louis has Overwatch 1, using this power increases its rank to Overwatch 2. If any musket on the battlefield does not have Overwatch, it simply gives them an Overwatch epic for 3 turns. I have my Louis and Chantal with Overwatch 2. So if I use that power, it increases the rank to Overwatch 3. I try to use this power first so that all incoming enemies feel the wrath of being hit by Overwatch by multiple muskets The advantage to this is probably something you can figure out based on my recent post .
Suppression Fire grants all Muskets a Burst Fire epic, which is applied the same way as Bounding Overwatch. My Chantal has Burst Fire 2, so adding a rank makes it Burst Fire 3. This allows her a higher chance of triggering it against enemies already wounded. Following those 2 powers, I have a Sky Spirit, which is a 100% Agility boost buff. Useful for my Muskets to deal more damage. Then I have my bombs which help damage a pack of enemies huddled together. Following that, I also have a mojo blast which is a good alternative to bombs. Then I have my Scatter Spike, which is a power that lays Bear Traps in an X formation where ever you place it. Another good alternative to bombs. In fact, I recommend using them first whenever possible. Then I have some Musket power shots, followed by heals, and then I put my weaker powers at the end. This strategy is more of a patient type strategy, in it may take longer, but it's more reliable in keeping your companions safe.

Another strategy you can use is simply lay out traps first in the path of your enemies, then give your companions a buff while they use theirs if they have any. If your companions have trap powers, have them use it as well. Following this, if the enemies are huddled up, use a bomb power to deal some more damage while your companions focus on taking down one enemy at a time. Any remaining enemies can be taken down by your musket power shots. This strategy is hard to follow at lower levels, but becomes much easier as you progress through the game.

Hope this helped.

Petty Officer
Jul 26, 2011
You can arrange your deck any way you'd like

My top companions would be mixed. I like el toro/ridolfo, my kesuke yogi from the cs, and Chantal.

I usually use tempest of torpedoes as early as I can, do delay the enemies while doing Damage. I also use the X formation trap near the beginning. I don't buff much, unless I have a turn to waste.

The big diff between land and ship is that on ships the X traps are not usually ethical as the small boards connecting the ships is not too wide.

I would say to you to experiment with yourself because your playing style is unique to you!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Well, it didn't take me long to figure out that an effective combat team needs a little of each. It's like a football team. If everyone on the team is a quarterback...you're in for a long season. There are several quests and stretches of worlds where having all of one type of companion, regardless of their class, will make it much harder for you to win battles because of the abilities of your enemies. Try beating Rooke with all Musketeers and you'll see what I mean. Musketeers play the waiting game and let the enemy come to them so traps and bombs are excellent first moves. Placing bombs inside traps will cause huge damage and sometimes take out non-ranged opponents before they can even get to you. After you place your traps and bombs it's time to buff or use shields. Then it's game on. Nowadays with my max level Musketeer, the formula I use is as follows. One Musketeer companion with Overwatch, Burst Fire and Double Tap and two melee units (Swashbuckler or Buccaneer) with First Strike, Relentless and Riposte. I have four gear items that provide me with the Valor's Armor power and when I put this on a good Swashbuckler companion it makes them a tank and basically gives them an extra 1,200 or so health points...and I have four of them so lets do the math on that one. I could potentially up the health on a Swashbuckler companion by roughly 4,800 points giving them around 7,000 health. With the damage Swashbucklers are capable of it is hard for any opponent to overcome that. I use this strategy in questing and pvp and it works great in both. Any strategy that works well in pvp will work anywhere because pvp battles, against those the same level as yourself, are usually much harder than any battles you get into while questing. I think Musketeers are one of the most interesting and challenging classes to play. They have good health, but they do low damage. They have lots of multi-target attacks, but they are patterned and can only be really effective in certain circumstances. If you master the Musketeer class, the other classes will be easy for you to play...except for Privateers...they seem to be an animal unto themselves and are truly unique and very flexible.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
warriorscreed on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
I have an astonishing 82 companions, so the ones I use vary, but here is my best team. My best team is all Swashbucklers, Kawil Doomclaw, Samocles, and Avis Avorious(Eagle Hoplite). They do obnoxious damage amounts and keep enemies at bay while I snipe enemies from WAY WAY back behind my companions. For the best results, my companion team is as follows. Chantal Livingstone, Bonnie Anne, and Lefty. No one ever gets close enough to attack us lol.
Good call. Samocles is a beast. Stack Valor's Armor on him and it's lights out for your opponents. When Avis gets his relentless going he is also a killing machine. They are both capable of taking out an opponent in one attack.

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
Though it is mainly based on people's different strategys I would arrange my companions similar to how warriorcreed does and for powers no matter what type of pirate you are I would always put bombs first in order. Then traps and special attacks.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
It took a lot of thought, but I have the rest of your questions answered, so I will re-state my previous ideas and my new ones. Keep in mind I am a Lvl. 65 Musketeer.

1. Swashbucklers are the companions I favor. My good Swash team is Samocles (First Strike 1, Riposte 2, Relentless 1, and Epic Strike), Avis Avorious (Riposte 1, Relentless 2, First Strike 1, and Epic Strike), and Kawil Doomclaw ( First Strike 1, Relentless 1, Riposte 2 and Super Strike).

2. For the BEST results, I use my Musketeer Team. Chantal Livingstone (Sniper Shot x2, Super Strike, Pirate 3, Overwatch 1, Burst Fire 2, Quick Draw 1) , Lefty (Burst Fire 1, Double Tap 1, Overwatch 1), and Bonnie Anne (Stock Assault, Second Wind, Scatterblast, Double Tap 1, Stock Assault 1, Burst Fire 2, Overwatch 2)make sure NO ONE even gets close to us!

3. I have Megablast at the top of my list, and I have 3 Revives (from boss drops lol), 1 Rouse, and 1 Refresh at the front of my list.

4. I use buffing for my team, and then I launch lots of bomb traps!

5. I do the same thing! Buffing first, then TONS of traps!

That's it! Hope you all like my choices and Companion builds!

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013
1: I use aquilan companions that can do close up combat, so they can keep the enemy at bay while i snipe them. It has helped me in lots of fights.

2: I use melee companions for best results. They can weaken enemies at close range, and while the enemy is busy fighting my companions, i snipe em

3: Definitely the bomb skills. They help alot when fighting off large amounts of enemys, and my traps

4: I first use traps. I set the bear trap first. My enemy's have to get across onto my ship, so i set the traps on the planks. Then i use the bombs to cover larger areas.

5: On land i first use bombs. I sometimes place down a power keg, and blow it up when the enemy gets close. But my companion, gracie conrad, has a Mine card, so that helps too.

Daring Destiny Dove - Level 65 Musketeer