Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why are Buccaneers lowly?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 18, 2010
Seriously, people think Buccaneers are trash. They are not. People pay so much attention to damage and never give thought to health.

For instance, people think privateer is the best class. I agree with it 90%. But the privateer has to waste their turn to heal. A buccaneer has high armor, as well as health, so what would be 100 damage could actually be 40, giving advantage to the buccaneer.

Also, people like swashbuckler because of the high damage.
However, most swashbucklers can die in 4 or 5 hits, if all those are super. A buccaneer can stand this and last over 20 rounds of hits before getting knocked out.

Basically, I'm not discriminating other classes, just showing ways in which Buccaneers are unique.
So next time you think about saying 'Buccaneers are weak', look at their bright sides.

Petty Officer
Feb 13, 2013
Part of the reason people say buccaneers are weak is they get little to no good powers or epic that really work.Reckless frenzy is like the only good power for them in a while.I like them because they can solo and do it rather fast (privateer takes too long which is why it is the only one I haven't finished mooshu with yet) so try it first people.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
KI gave a lot of thought to class balance, so there should not be one class more lowly than the others. That being said, I have a Buccaneer character, and I think she does quite well. Sure, she doesn't have as many flashy moves as my swashbuckler - but she doesn't get hit over the head quite so often either! She's lost very few battles. The character who is most likely to lose battles is my privateer (Charlotte is an excellent leader, but not such a great fighter), probably because I don't keep her in the back as much as I should. I enjoy all my characters (and the characters the rest of my family has) very much. They all have unique aspects, and are all very satisfying.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Faithful Charlotte Richardson
Trustworthy Genevieve Devereaux

Gunner's Mate
Nov 01, 2012
I agree buccaneers are equally matched with privateers and swashbucklers but you forgot most swashbucklers are amazingly talented at dodging and most of them have riposte giving them an extra tough hit on the opponent privateers however overpower buccaneers because they having healing powers and buccaneers and privateers both get tough talents so they have equal health. Also privateers have powers like the fire barrage that strike the enemy before they are near them to attack so that would weaken a buccaneer before they can even strike which is useful a lot. So I'd say buccaneers and swashbucklers are tied but privateer outranks both don't get me wrong I actually like swashbuckler more but when I used privateer I got through the game more easier and faster.

Slick Cody Jones privateer lvl 59
Merciless Ethan Jenkins swashbuckler lvl 64

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
Spark of the land on Jun 10, 2013 wrote:
Seriously, people think Buccaneers are trash. They are not. People pay so much attention to damage and never give thought to health.

For instance, people think privateer is the best class. I agree with it 90%. But the privateer has to waste their turn to heal. A buccaneer has high armor, as well as health, so what would be 100 damage could actually be 40, giving advantage to the buccaneer.

However, most swashbucklers can die in 4 or 5 hits, if all those are super. A buccaneer can stand this and last over 20 rounds of hits before getting knocked out.

Basically, I'm not discriminating other classes, just showing ways in which Buccaneers are unique.
So next time you think about saying 'Buccaneers are weak', look at their bright sides.
without talent and card giving gear in every slot bucks lack - if you get your card gear and such then they are good.

Ensign
Aug 10, 2011
As a privateer I never waste my turns healing, I'm pretty sure buccaneer and privateer can have the same armor if they want, plus privateer gets a bunch of resistance talents.
I usually don't end up having to heal since I just spam dodge buffs and rarely get hit

Captain
May 13, 2011
it feels like buccaneers are getting neglected. i mean swashbucklers can now stop healing and hide others. what about us? we need relentless. at least i want lucky talent for a defensive class. whats a tank who cant take a hit from gunfire or magic? give us more powers too. i have a sword identical to friar sands, yet it feels like im hitting them with a normal caveman club. give us power if were supposed to have BLADE STORM X2!

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
I feel quite sad for Buccaneers. They don't get much love at all! Musketeers don't get love either...

But seriously, it is an awesome class. Sometimes I'd like to grab one of those choppy weapons and smash it into those clockworks' heads.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 13, 2013 wrote:
I feel quite sad for Buccaneers. They don't get much love at all! Musketeers don't get love either...

But seriously, it is an awesome class. Sometimes I'd like to grab one of those choppy weapons and smash it into those clockworks' heads.
Lol why do you think I trained my Privateer to level two smashy and has choppy also. Buccaneers rock

Petty Officer
Dec 18, 2010
Thanks everyone. Looks like not EVERYONE thinks Buccaneers are pointless. I wrote this post when I got mad from seeing that people say 'I don't like Buccaneers because they don't have lots of powers' or 'Buccaneers are supposed to be tough, yet they do low damage' (people just don't get what 'tough' is).

But I'm betting my hard earned Gunn's gold that most of those people were just agreeing with others, to make them look 'cool' (I said MOST not ALL).

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I had three pirates make it to level 50 before the expansion - a witchdoctor, a buccaneer, and a swashbuckler. My privateer and my musketeer have not advanced as far (both are c. 35th level). Of them all, the buccaneer has consistently seemed to me to be the weakest, although not by much. Personally he is fine - his armor and hit life points compensating for fewer fancy moves pretty well, I think. But he does not have nearly as many crew buffs as my other pirates, so his crew are not as effective. Often this just means he wins the fight, but with more out of action or battered crew. Since crew are easy to recover, it has not slowed his advance.

It may just be the luck of random draws, but I find FAR more equipment that gives buff abilities for the swashbuckler and other classes than I have ever found for the buccaneer.

Overall, given that there are five classes with fairly distinct play styles, I am impressed by how balanced they are. KI did a very good job there, I think.

-Indigo.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
They are a pretty cool class. If you choose your character choices wisely, then the Buc class could be ultimately good.

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
I'm a buccaneer! I thought we were great! I am shocked to find out this. I've got two strikes, some power ups, and "Rouse" "Sneak Attack" and "Walk in Shadows" using practice points. I'm about to learn "Turn the Tide"! We also get "Highland Charge" and "Reckless Frenzy"(cool!) too! So what's the problem?

Pretty Cheryl Walker, buccaneer
Lovable Natalie, privateer
Sneaky Brittany, witchdoctor

Petty Officer
Dec 04, 2011
Spark of the land on Jun 10, 2013 wrote:

I...agree...to...every...word

Petty Officer
Apr 11, 2013
each class has their own benefits, find different things about each i like. but bucc is most fun to play

Ensign
Feb 10, 2013
hi i think that buccaneers are cool tough but weak swashbucklers though have silence and damage so that's my opinion

wolf level 14
tyrone level 13
wolf level 5
ryan level 10 plus and

Ensign
Dec 08, 2012
I agree, I' am a level 65 musketeer and I say that some buccaneers are actually very good. Just recently I got pummeled by a buccaneer and I couldn't lay any hard hits on him ( Blocking damage ). I'd say that its just people have bad strategies and don't know how to use their buccaneer correctly. Same thing goes with every other class. Privateers are actually a lot easier to handle if you just know how to work them. Though I have to admit, in groups they are pretty much invincible due to their wide variety of buffs that they have but if its a 1v1 I could take them out pretty quickly if done right with the right companions and strategy.