Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Riposte Equation

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
Hey,

Is there anyway you guys can review your riposte equation programming? or see if there is some error in the percentage damage bonus? Because many times I or one of my companions will riposte and hit LESS damage than our bottom damage value... There is clearly something wrong and its not armor...

Please KI, just review it and see if there is any issues, because it is not supposed to be happening and it cost me battles...

Thank You For your Concerns
Angel X

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Because Riposte is not the normal attack, that might be the reason for the reduced damage. Try checking the Riposte damage vs normal attack damage of some enemies to see if there is a difference. KI is usually pretty good about keeping the damage that pirates do vs the damage that their opponents do.

Developer
Just as some hits can critical and deal increased damage above the listed damage range, sometimes you get a dud hit that does less damage than the listed range.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
So you are saying:

Imagine El Toro has Damage range of 267 - 380 lets say he is in a Relentless chain and ends with a final ripsote on a buccaneer enemy the has NO armor.

Attack: 280 > Relentless* > 310, Relentless again > 345, Relentless again > 300, (note, these are all in the damage range).

Now the Buccaneer Vengeance Strikes: (Yes - I know they can vengeance strike between relentless chains but that not the point right now)

He hits El Toro and El Toro blocks and Riposte is triggered. Now Lets Say the Riposte hits 65% more at this moment.

So the damage system goes to grab a random value in El Toro's Damage Ratio (as in normally would )- but then OOPS. For some reason, a dud occurs and it just grabs a 50.

50 x 1.65 = 82.5, (round it up to 83)

El Toro blocks and ripsotes and hits 83.

And You are saying that that is basically what is happening?

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
SlightlyMadWizard on May 29, 2013 wrote:
Because Riposte is not the normal attack, that might be the reason for the reduced damage. Try checking the Riposte damage vs normal attack damage of some enemies to see if there is a difference. KI is usually pretty good about keeping the damage that pirates do vs the damage that their opponents do.
Um KingLear01, I dont mean to be rude, but you totally missed what my point was. So its ok, Ratbeard answered now.

And of course I know there is a difference in riposte damage and normal damage. -.-

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
The Dud hit concept is certainly new information. I would hope that it is based on an independent calculation system just as critical is. Ratbeard, if possible would you consider adding a Dud indication similar to the current critical and epic indications?

Developer
Eric Stormbringer on May 31, 2013 wrote:
The Dud hit concept is certainly new information. I would hope that it is based on an independent calculation system just as critical is. Ratbeard, if possible would you consider adding a Dud indication similar to the current critical and epic indications?
The indication is that you do much lower than expected damage.

Ensign
Jul 06, 2012
Yes I also realized then me or my companions usually do a normal attack under our power, so let's say my power is 205 to 345, I usually hit under than 150. Is this normal?

Noble Nicholas Nichols level 58

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
Ratbeard on Jun 1, 2013 wrote:
The indication is that you do much lower than expected damage.
LOL, that made my day right there. But anyway back to business. I know the damage is much lower than expected just as the damage for criticals is much higher however you still saw it fit to add critical indications which with their bright bold lettering is much easier to see than the red damage numbers(particularly on your taller opponents). I know it is not a major issue and you can put it on your back burner so to speak but would you consider it for the more detail oriented among us?

Developer
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 2, 2013 wrote:
LOL, that made my day right there. But anyway back to business. I know the damage is much lower than expected just as the damage for criticals is much higher however you still saw it fit to add critical indications which with their bright bold lettering is much easier to see than the red damage numbers(particularly on your taller opponents). I know it is not a major issue and you can put it on your back burner so to speak but would you consider it for the more detail oriented among us?
We saw fit to add some razzle dazzle to criticals because that is an exciting, anticipated, and welcome event.

The more detailed among you will have to pay attention to details if you believe there's some actionable benefit to knowing when you rolled a low damage roll.

Red damage flying out of frame is a separate issue and I, too, would prefer that it was always centered in view.