Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Low-Tiered Drops?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
I am curious as to whether or not this was an intentional loot roll.

I just did all the fights in Beachhead which took hours to complete between all the numerous Armada Clockwork/Angel mobs plus the two Bishop fights. The items that were being dropped by these level 51-53 enemies were ranging from level 15-30 and other than stitching (I won't cause I didn't like the looks) they were useless to my all my level 50+ pirates.

I got multiple Discarded Armada Halberds (lvl 15), Armada Captain Halberds (lvl 30), Armada Fusileer Igniculus (lvl 25), and Armada Marine Halberd (lvl 20 AND from the first Bishop fight). Finally at the second Bishop fight I did receive Discarded Armada Pistols (lvl 55).

I created a thread about this: http://pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?35378-Lame-Drop-%28

and during some of the speculation some have said it's possible that it could be from the previous Armada's loot roll: Ancient Ruins, Valencia, Dreadnaught Regal. That the same characters and roll were used but with an increase in their difficulty; just not their drops.

So if anyone could please let us know whether this is a glitch or if it's intentional then that would be great.

Because so far I am thinking that after the hours of long fights, this is one Instance where I am NOT going to want to try to farm a major antagonist for his loot.

Thanks so much for the great new worlds! I am really enjoying them

~SM~

Developer
It is indeed intended, and well-intentioned, but perhaps not as well considered as it should be. I apologize for the confusion.

The intent-- now that we have some interesting Armada gear to drop from Armada enemies-- was to drop something more interesting than "nothing" or "gold only" when you defeat Armada rank-and-file.

I can certainly remove the option if it seems folks would prefer "nothing" or "gold only" to "low-level Armada-themed items to trade, stitch, or sell."

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Ratbeard on May 28, 2013 wrote:
It is indeed intended, and well-intentioned, but perhaps not as well considered as it should be. I apologize for the confusion.

The intent-- now that we have some interesting Armada gear to drop from Armada enemies-- was to drop something more interesting than "nothing" or "gold only" when you defeat Armada rank-and-file.

I can certainly remove the option if it seems folks would prefer "nothing" or "gold only" to "low-level Armada-themed items to trade, stitch, or sell."
No, no, no, no, no! Don't take them away. I kinda like some of the Armada weapons and looks. Especially the Battle Angel's Array. Though my brother suggests, you lower the chances of getting them. He finds that it's a bit too easy to get them. As Armada Clockworks and being the enemy, shouldn't they be less likely to drop them to make there items more rare?

Also just a suggestion to the loot drops, could Deacon possible start dropping his pistol and cane, if he already doesn't?

Community Leader

If it were up to me, I would leave it as is. Seems like a neat way to include players who haven't reached MB yet in the fun and incentivize them to continue. I admit, I was a little surprised when I saw level 23 stuff in my inventory (did I fight in a low level area recently . . . wait, why isn't this cowboy themed?) but once I figured out what must have happened, I thought it was neat!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
i put some of these items in the bank and give to my lower lvl character :) dont change it!

Community Leader
Talkin The Plank on May 28, 2013 wrote:
If it were up to me, I would leave it as is. Seems like a neat way to include players who haven't reached MB yet in the fun and incentivize them to continue. I admit, I was a little surprised when I saw level 23 stuff in my inventory (did I fight in a low level area recently . . . wait, why isn't this cowboy themed?) but once I figured out what must have happened, I thought it was neat!
I dont understand how this includes players who havent reached Marleybone yet. Or why it is any form of incentive.

How does level 10-15 gear create an incentive for a level 55 pirate?
Id rather have the gold, because these items sell for like 50-200 gold. We generally get more gold than that from the chests. Think about it, if im going to get level 15 gear drops, why even bother farming high levels for it, I could farm the easier mobs that are actually level 10-15 to get that.

What id REALLY rather have is some more variations of higher level gear, so we have something to farm for that we can actually use. Have a boss drop a dozen different mediocre outfits, with an occasional rare uber drop. It would make more sense me obtaining and selling mediocre level 55 gear, than useless (and not very valuable) low level gear.

Why does KI think getting obsolete gear is fun? Basically it seemed to me they are saying its better than getting nothing or just gold? That sounds like their problem, it shouldnt be ours. Develop more stuff to drop please.

What we are getting is better than nothing though. Im just currently tired of getting excited to see drops, rushing to do a mouse over, or holding up my friends while I check notifications only to find garbage. sigh.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Community Leader

While it was confusing at first, if the lower-level Armada drops are mob loot rather than "boss" drops then it does make more sense. They are fun for stitching, or to put away for lower-level characters. And I was pleasantly surprised to see a higher-level item or two as well - I got a Battle Angel style robe that will be going to my level 50 Musketeer first chance I get.

I didn't farm Bishop or spend much on his second chance chest - at least not yet - but I do hope his staff is in his personal loot bin. The steampunk look would go great with my new Pennyfarthing!

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Community Leader
Dr Zeppers on May 28, 2013 wrote:
I dont understand how this includes players who havent reached Marleybone yet. Or why it is any form of incentive.

How does level 10-15 gear create an incentive for a level 55 pirate?
Id rather have the gold, because these items sell for like 50-200 gold. We generally get more gold than that from the chests. Think about it, if im going to get level 15 gear drops, why even bother farming high levels for it, I could farm the easier mobs that are actually level 10-15 to get that.

What id REALLY rather have is some more variations of higher level gear, so we have something to farm for that we can actually use. Have a boss drop a dozen different mediocre outfits, with an occasional rare uber drop. It would make more sense me obtaining and selling mediocre level 55 gear, than useless (and not very valuable) low level gear.

Why does KI think getting obsolete gear is fun? Basically it seemed to me they are saying its better than getting nothing or just gold? That sounds like their problem, it shouldnt be ours. Develop more stuff to drop please.

What we are getting is better than nothing though. Im just currently tired of getting excited to see drops, rushing to do a mouse over, or holding up my friends while I check notifications only to find garbage. sigh.
I suppose I meant it gave a better variety of what's available to lower level characters in the Bazaar, so from level 16-30, not just cowboy stuff. Plus with stitching being in the game, it doesn't really matter what level something is if you like the look of it, so there's that.

I see what you're saying, but I don't mind it. In most MMO's, this type of stuff would be represented as grey vendor items, but at least here it can serve some kind of purpose to someone else.

If folks are too annoyed, though, they could always switch it to being treasure drops, like from the card packs. That way, you are getting items of various values that you're going to sell, but you could get lucky with a drop and get one worth 10k . . . or get one worth 500g. That could work too.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011

How about this suggestion instead, Ratbeard? Why don't you and the crew create some new high-level Armada themed items as the Armada troops' loot drop replacements across Beachhead's instances instead of simply removing low-level Armada gear in a very small post update? Maybe that will ease some confusion laid upon Pirates.

Ensign
Nov 22, 2010
Knowing Aquila is in the near future and that you will probably need a new ship, I found these drops badly thought out.

Sure, it is nice to get stuff to put in the shared bank for other characters but when you seriously need cash for levelling crew and buying/outfitting a new ship, it stinks.

Even farming the areas isn't worth it, you just don't gain enough gold.

Perhaps a mix? Gold and some weapons/armour/equipment. At least something that will make all those tedious fights worthwhile.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
I want to see these removed from missions that give a warning this map could take you xx minutes to finish bring a friend or three. ( more does not mean it will be done SOONER!!! because there is more to defeat.) most always we are seeing GOLD from boss chests this is becoming annoying on maps where we have no second chance chest please KI increase drop rates on things. so far 60 runs for rooke's combo set , robe, boots and what ever else he might have all fails because you know what we just get gold not actual armor items. So that's about 60 hours for what? gold laugh wont be much longer and my last page of companions will be maxed and then i will debate do i keep a sub to waste time on things that are not dropping. there is no family anything in this kind of farming to get items.

Ensign
Nov 15, 2010
I like the Armada style items dropped in Beachhead. While I don't intend to use them for stitching, I am going to use them with my lower leveled characters. However, I wouldn't mind seeing higher tier Armada equipment dropped.

As for them not being worth as much as higher tiered gear, I don't have a problem with that. If you're worried about purchasing Aquilan ships you should have plenty of gold from selling gear dropped by other enemies that you fight. I purchased a large treasure pile just to keep from hitting the gold cap.