Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 15, 2010
Hi, I'm just curious if anyone has gotten one of the new companions from the pack. I was kind of sad when both my friend and I spent crowns and neither one of us got one. They must be a very rare drop. I haven't seen any running around Avery's Court either.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Hello Foxfire. I do have one - the raptor (now a "moonhunter" after his promotion). My wife and I between us spent a lot a crowns on packs, and only received the one companion. So we are either very unlucky or they are extremely rare (1% or so).

He is nice though. He is a swashbuckler, and he came with one epic feat (First Strike, I think) and a Critical Hit "card". Because of the level of my pirate who recruited him, he was ready for his first promotion (he was recruited at level 41, which was exactly the level of my pirate). He received two new epic feats as a result of his promotion. I gave him riposte and relentless; I remember repel boarders was also an option.

He looks very nifty.

If you buy more packs - good hunting!

-Michael

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
How many packs did you buy to get the raptor? I personally purchased 84. No companions. I consider that kind of drop rate BROKEN. In fact, you are not only the first, but the ONLY person I have heard of with a successful pull for companions.

Ensign
Apr 08, 2012
I have the buccaneer (Triceratops) he came with a crit card and vengeance strike. He promoted to a tribal moonhunter.

And yes they are the Epic drops so a very low drop rate.

Ensign
Mar 30, 2011
So far I am 24 packs into the new Booster Pack and thus far. Pets - 2 Scrimshaw Drakes and 1 Spiny Serpent. Mounts - 2 Jade Ankylosaur, 1 Citrine Ankylosaur, and 1 Golden Jaguar.
Still no companion yet. Supposedly the companions are ultra rare and your chance of receiving one resets with each pack you buy.

Karic

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The companion was in the 28th pack. But random chances are, well, random. In those 28 packs I did not receive a single training manual - I assumed they were also ultra-rare or epic. But in the first six packs my wife bought she received three 1-point training manuals (which are common) and one three-point manual (rare).

-Michael

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Indigo Ring on Jan 18, 2013 wrote:
Hello Foxfire. I do have one - the raptor (now a "moonhunter" after his promotion). My wife and I between us spent a lot a crowns on packs, and only received the one companion. So we are either very unlucky or they are extremely rare (1% or so).

He is nice though. He is a swashbuckler, and he came with one epic feat (First Strike, I think) and a Critical Hit "card". Because of the level of my pirate who recruited him, he was ready for his first promotion (he was recruited at level 41, which was exactly the level of my pirate). He received two new epic feats as a result of his promotion. I gave him riposte and relentless; I remember repel boarders was also an option.

He looks very nifty.

If you buy more packs - good hunting!

-Michael
Do you happen to know the name of the Raptor Swashbuckler? I've been trying to learn all of their names and he's the only one I need.

Parasuar Musketeer: Lemba Moonskull (newest addition to female campanions, i think, for those wanting more)
Pteranodon Privateer: Itzen Kaan (if you watch his video, he's AWESOME!)
Threehorn Buccaneer: Hulkun Doomhorn (Hulkun Smash! lol)
Calaca Witchdoctor: Chilam Bak

But as you can see, I don't know the Raptor guy. Many thanks for his name!

Cunning Finnigan Sharp
Level 16 Swashbuckler

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
His name is Kawil Doomclaw. Do they all have the same name (that is, are all of the raptors Kawil Doomclaw)? Sometimes they share a name (Handsome Dan), but other times it is randomized (the cat companion).

He received his second epic promotion at level 43. He actually looked neater before (he now sports a dorky hat), but he certainly holds his end up in a fight, so nobody laughs at the hat. More than once, anyway.

-Michael

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Indigo Ring on Jan 21, 2013 wrote:
His name is Kawil Doomclaw. Do they all have the same name (that is, are all of the raptors Kawil Doomclaw)? Sometimes they share a name (Handsome Dan), but other times it is randomized (the cat companion).

He received his second epic promotion at level 43. He actually looked neater before (he now sports a dorky hat), but he certainly holds his end up in a fight, so nobody laughs at the hat. More than once, anyway.

-Michael
Thank you for the name!
Lol. I kinda like the hat. It's interesting in it's own way. Yes, they all have the same name and I have assumed that once you get that companion, for example Lemba Moonskull, you can not recieve that companion again, no more Lemba for you on that player. (Like the Lore packs in Wizard101 where once you get that spell, the spell is removed from the reward table)

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I received the raptor on my Musketeer pirate. But after 30,000 crowns worth in packs, I did not even get a single dino companion for my Swashbuckler. I am extremely distressed at this.

Needless to say, I will not be buying packs for companions again. I have enough as it is, and can only have a single first mate. Sour grapes? Most definitely so.

Ensign
May 31, 2010
I have Lemba Moonskull on one of my characters. Based on the voice samples, Lemba is male. Unless the skeleton is a girl, all the dinos are male.

As far as rarity and drop chances, the crew are the Epic "grand prize" cards. They're intentionally really, really unlikely to drop. Based on my experience with the Wizard101 packs and this one, the best advice I can give is as follows:

First, decide what having one of the "grand prize" options is worth to you, in advance. Make that your budget, and stick to it. IE, if you think "a new companion" should never cost more than 3000 crowns, then don't spend more than that.

Second, keep in mind that there's usually other stuff in the packs. Decide if that has any value to you. If the *only* thing in the pack you want is the grand prize, you're probably going to be disappointed. (For reference, the current pack also drops housing items, companion skill points, weapons that are scaled to the level of the character buying the packs, and items you can sell for gold.)

Third, remember that the grand prize is going to be very, very rare. Yes, some people are going to get one in the first few packs they open. And some people are going to open many, many packs and never get one. Random prize is random.

If the pack has more than one Grand Prize card, decide if you just want "a grand prize" or if you're trying for a specific one. For this pack, getting any of the dinos at all is going to be a lot easier than getting a specific one. I really wanted the skeleton for my Witchdoctor. I kept spending crowns until I had four of the five dinos. Guess which one I'm still missing?

Finally, decide if you have to have it *right now,* or if you can wait a while. In Wizard101, there have been several events where the older packs have gone on sale, sometimes for up to half off. If you're patient, your budget might get you a lot more later on.

Ensign
May 31, 2010
Oh, and for the record, I massively ignored my own first suggestion: pick a budget and stick to it. I decided that I wanted a specific companion for a certain character, and just kept hitting "Buy MOAR!" until I decided I was being totally silly. I'm not going to say how much I spent, other than "a whole lot more than I should have." However, I also totally admit that doing so was my choice - there wasn't a Wharf Rat standing behind me with a cutlass shouting "Click the buy button again, or else!"

Realistically, random prize is *still* random. I could take the number of packs I've already opened, and open that many more and still never get the last companion. It's not likely, but it's entirely possible. Just like it's possible for someone else to open five packs and get a companion in the second one.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2010
I just pulled a lemba moon skull yesterday on my 2nd pack.
I have leveled him, or her, to level 12 so far. Does anyone know when he gets his new abilities or epics?

Ensign
Nov 23, 2012