Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Does Kingsisle Communicate Enough?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
May 06, 2009
As I look between Wizard101 and Pirate101, I noticed something. As new content or new comments and topics come up, I feel as though Kingsisle does not voice their own opinion on what they feel their newest update is like or how it should appeal (even if it is an obvious "We feel we did exceptionally well with this one")

When I look around Pirate101, I can see One-Eyed Jack commenting on a good part of people's comments or overall ideas to look into doing in future updates. That's great! When I look in the Wizard101 messageboards, I see sooo few replies from employees in that department (Lydia Greyrose, Dalia Falmea, Merle Ambrose), if it does not concern around "Why can't i go here, there, or anywhere?"

So I just wonder why KI doesn't get more social or more interactive with the public while still working on whatever projects they work on at hand and not giving away the how element of surprise when it comes to what the update is. I can understand that there priority could be to not take extremely long on new content and updates so boredom cannot arouse (as it would seem boredom is the greatest fear as appose to updating past problems that could pose a decline in player population (Wizard101 Azteca expansion; Pirate101 gold drop I heard someone voice that I found important)). But I would like to see just a little commenting around there updates as in World/Area difficulty, design choices, etc. like just a simple "We did this because blank" "We wanted to do x, y, and z" something like that.

As of today, sometimes i get a sense that maybe some people are kinda left in the dark a bit about why somethings are done. I'd like to see a little bit of KI's intents with future updates (again as in "We felt this should happen" when that update is released). Mostly a smidge more around KI's other game Wizard101. In Pirate101, I think it is well met in terms of Customer to Company understanding (A good example is J. Todd Coleman's letter on the PvP update for this game)

Captain
May 02, 2009
KingsIsle would never post their own opinion because it could give some people the wrong idea or something, but they could at least say something like "We'll put this into consideration" or something, but I they posted their own opinions, it wouldn't be right.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
coolster50 on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
KingsIsle would never post their own opinion because it could give some people the wrong idea or something, but they could at least say something like "We'll put this into consideration" or something, but I they posted their own opinions, it wouldn't be right.
Very true, Producers and Staff couldnt do that, because then people would be able to take their words and run with it. Since as far as they are concerned, KI must know right???

Angel Xiriga

Community Leader
I think KI has done a much better job communicating with players than most MMO's I've played have done. The updates have come pretty fast, but, if you're paying attention, you know what's coming next before it goes live. You can understand not wanting to give too much away, both for story reasons as well as not wanting to promise features that can't be delivered or that you don't have a firm timetable for. They have responded in one way or another to every major issue I've ever seen brought up in these forums, at least. They may not get into the nitty gritty about exactly what's going to happen when, but I wouldn't expect them to.
I am content knowing that they read these forums, they have shown that the listen to the players, and they have plans (though we don't know exactly what they are) to expand the game in the future.

What we do know about features to come. Again, I don't have any insider knowledge, this is just what they've said on the forums and in open letters
:
1. PvP will continue to grow. We don't know exactly what it will look like, but they are building it from the ground up and allowing us to participate in the process by giving us Practice PvP and gathering our feedback.

2. There will be some form of a Bazaar/Auction house in the future.

3. Stitching will eventually be introduced. It's a difficult feature to add, so it might be a while.

4. Eventually, we'll get to El Dorado, though there will be many stops along the way.

Keeping the lines of communication open is very important to the success of a game like this. While not every player participates in the forums, this is the place they will come if they have concerns, suggestions or need advice from the community. Here and, of course, my blog and podcast *end shameless plug*

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!