Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Me and my sis need your help picking a character

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
Me and my sis need your help picking a character are you up for the task? Hi my name is Trustworthy Ariel Maxwell and my sister is Abigail. I am a privateer and Abigail is a Swashbuckler. Are choices are Witchdocters, Privateers, Swashbucklers , and Buccaneers, last of all Musketeers.
1. Witchdocters cast spells and they can hit many targets at once. And Witchdocters use both close range and far range.
2. Privateers are healers they have other spells but heal is the main one. And if I'm not wrong they do get the most companions.
3. Swashbucklers are very good with fighting the bad guys. And I also think they have a healing spell or two at least that is what my sis says.
4. Buccaneers are one of the strongest is at least what I hear. sort of like a swashbuckler but not . they get strong companions but not a lot of them.
5. Musketeers are the best with far range or so I hear. If you like Bonnie the second companion then you might like a musketeer.
So do you have any idea's of what we should be in pirate. If so please tell us your idea.
From Trustworthy Ariel Maxwell and Abigail have a great day.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
viviank101 on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
Me and my sis need your help picking a character are you up for the task? Hi my name is Trustworthy Ariel Maxwell and my sister is Abigail. I am a privateer and Abigail is a Swashbuckler. Are choices are Witchdocters, Privateers, Swashbucklers , and Buccaneers, last of all Musketeers.
1. Witchdocters cast spells and they can hit many targets at once. And Witchdocters use both close range and far range.
2. Privateers are healers they have other spells but heal is the main one. And if I'm not wrong they do get the most companions.
3. Swashbucklers are very good with fighting the bad guys. And I also think they have a healing spell or two at least that is what my sis says.
4. Buccaneers are one of the strongest is at least what I hear. sort of like a swashbuckler but not . they get strong companions but not a lot of them.
5. Musketeers are the best with far range or so I hear. If you like Bonnie the second companion then you might like a musketeer.
So do you have any idea's of what we should be in pirate. If so please tell us your idea.
I must say that swashbuckler is by far my favorite class, followed closely by buccaneer and witchdoctor. Taking your comments in order:
1. Very true.
2. Privateers do more than heal, their buffs can turn "ordinary" companions into super heroes! They do get the most companions. This class is best played by those with an analytical bent, they really need to strategize.
3. Swashbucklers don't automatically get any healing powers, you must train from the Commodore or get those heals from gear.
4. Buccaneers are the toughest, best armored, best health "tanks".
5. Musketeers are fun, especially when you get your first bombs.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
First, welcome to the Message Boards!

If it's both you AND your sister, then I'd do one person swashbuckler and one person privateer. The privateer can buff the swashbuckler to do some serious damage.

Alternatively, you could do Musketeer and Witchdoctor. Since you're both ranged units, you won't get in each other's ways.

Hope this helped!

Fearles dolan Grant lvl65

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I'd say to choose Privateer. They get really strong as they level up. Also, they get some of the coolest companions, such as Black Angus and Monterey Jack and, my favorite, Iago.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
ATM, witchdoctors are very low in the PvP meta despite the Old Scratch buffs. In PvE, I'd say they're waaaay up there at the top since quad Scratch buffs+mojo storm=win.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Welcome to the boards, Ariel and Abigail!

My personal favorite is swashbuckler; it was the class I started on, and through questing I've discovered that the play style can be incredibly varied. Since they have low health and armor, you'll want to boost your dodge and make good use of agility buffs and hide ability. Some of the companions are a bit squishy in terms of health, but they can pack a huge punch. Subodai, your starter, will become a staple of your crew through MooShu.

Buccaneer is another great class. They weigh in near privateers in terms of armor and health, but they're more versatile and deal a higher damage. Their strength lies in their ability to buff their strength and traverse a great distance with their charge cards. I heavily recommend this class if you like swashbuckler play but don't like dealing with the fragility that they have. Peter Quint will be your heavy hitter companion. As you level up, expect long chains of relentless and bladestorm hits.

Privateer is the tank and heal class. They buff their companions and other pirates, then sit back and watch the carnage unfold. The play style is pretty fun from what I've seen. They do receive the most companions. Co-op playing swash/privy is a good strategy. I haven't quested mine far, so I'm definitely not an authority on them.

Musketeer is a great class, but boring, so I've only played mine to Valencia (level 18 currently). They aren't very versatile in my experience and are limited to only a few strategies; they only get good once you start leveling up. Using musketeer companions is pretty much the only way to go. I recommend Chantal and Louis.

I am very unfamiliar with witchdoctor, so all I can say on it is it can be very powerful if played correctly. They mostly use power cards with guaranteed hits at higher levels; boosting will and spell power is essential. Your companions are your meatshields and hitters, so you'll have to buff them up so they can attack.

I hope I've been of some help!

Ensign
Sep 08, 2015
Thank you, i will.

I think that the best class is witchdoctors. That's just me, but:

1. When you cast a spell, you JUST CAN'T FIZZLE!!!!! (AKA DODGE OR BLOCK)
2. When you boost yourself, you can shoot from one corner of the board, to another. (the spells that increase your WALK range, also increase your actual RANGE. I tried it, and it's OP AS I DON'T KNOW WHAT)
3. What would you choose as your three companions if you had to battle Santa Rana as a witch? Say Old Scratch, Carcarius grimtooth and mormo. Scratch has boosts that boost your spell power, the sharky has will boost and mormo has vulture's gift, raven's cry. (AKA the range boosts.)
4. If you choose the right equipment and spells, you can defeat your level enemies with lower level companions.(I accidentaly had only mormo and the bison spirits, which i never leveled up, but the ranged one lived, and we defeated the 1000+ having health samoorai.)
5. Just as 4. said, with the right choice you can defeat higher level enemies. (right companions, equipment, spells, and you can safely take on Santa Rana NOT at level 30 something, but lower)

This is my opinion, so if any of you have any other pointers, tell me.

Annoying Amber lvl 43 with 2095

Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
Thank you so much for your support . With your help we chose a Privateer and Swashbuckler. We had so much trouble picking but I fell we made the right choose! Thank you again and have a great day.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
viviank101 on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
Thank you so much for your support . With your help we chose a Privateer and Swashbuckler. We had so much trouble picking but I fell we made the right choose! Thank you again and have a great day.
Well the good news is that since there are 6 spaces for pirates you can make new ones to explore new combinations!

Admiral
May 30, 2010
viviank101 on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
A nice combination there. Privateers can buff while the swashies get out there and thump enemies before they could wallop the privateer. And if the enemy gets to the privateer, s/he can still hold her/his own toe-to-toe. You've pick two of my favorite classes, right up there with whatever class I'm currently playing at the moment (as of this writing, buccaneer, although a witchdoctor is probably on deck next).