Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A new way to get scrip

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Aug 22, 2010
Scrip is very hard to get as we all know. I understand that KI meant for it to be difficult to obtain, & as much as I would like to get scrip faster, I'm ok with it being difficult to get.... BUT .... Scrip farming gets pretty boring after a while, so here is my idea to spice it up.

Historically, pirates raided ships for their booty, & they coveted catching those gold laden treasure galleons. Why not have the same in Pirate 101?

On rare occasions, have a treasure ship randomly spawn in a skyway from time to time. Sometimes it will be in Mooshu, sometimes in Skull Island, sometimes in Cool Ranch, etc. The amount of scrip it carries will equal 10x it's level.
Ex... a level 54 treasure galleon will reward 540 scrip upon capture. & that is the key word here, "Capture".

If you out right sink a treasure galleon, you also sink the booty. The ship must be attacked & boarded, & you must fight the crew. Also, treasure galleons will not board their attackers at all. They will only try to run for the nearest wind lane, so we, the pirates, must broadside the treasure ship until it's health is yellow, & quickly board it before it reaches the safety of the wind lane. Arr.

A second idea would be to have random treasure map drops from battles, to which, we pirates must follow the clues & find X marks the spot. Scrip reward would be random, but high; like a 100 or so.

Ensign
Jul 31, 2009
Robert Quick on Jan 2, 2015 wrote:
Scrip is very hard to get as we all know. I understand that KI meant for it to be difficult to obtain, & as much as I would like to get scrip faster, I'm ok with it being difficult to get.... BUT .... Scrip farming gets pretty boring after a while, so here is my idea to spice it up.

Historically, pirates raided ships for their booty, & they coveted catching those gold laden treasure galleons. Why not have the same in Pirate 101?

On rare occasions, have a treasure ship randomly spawn in a skyway from time to time. Sometimes it will be in Mooshu, sometimes in Skull Island, sometimes in Cool Ranch, etc. The amount of scrip it carries will equal 10x it's level.
Ex... a level 54 treasure galleon will reward 540 scrip upon capture. & that is the key word here, "Capture".

If you out right sink a treasure galleon, you also sink the booty. The ship must be attacked & boarded, & you must fight the crew. Also, treasure galleons will not board their attackers at all. They will only try to run for the nearest wind lane, so we, the pirates, must broadside the treasure ship until it's health is yellow, & quickly board it before it reaches the safety of the wind lane. Arr.

A second idea would be to have random treasure map drops from battles, to which, we pirates must follow the clues & find X marks the spot. Scrip reward would be random, but high; like a 100 or so.
I like the idea of having the treasure galleon but I think that you can sink the ship but you would only get like 5x its level if you sink it without boarding it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

I do like this idea, and the only problem I foresee, is that, only four pirates can board. If you're in a scrip hunting pack, it will end up first come, first serve. And someone may accidently sink the ship as well.

Petty Officer
Aug 22, 2010
Humble Gilroy Thom... on Jan 4, 2015 wrote:
I like the idea of having the treasure galleon but I think that you can sink the ship but you would only get like 5x its level if you sink it without boarding it.
That would defeat the whole premise. The point is to capture the ship like pirates of history did, b/c in reality, they lost the cargo if the ship was sunk. Plus it adds to the challenge... of having to chase it down before it reaches a wind lane & having to fight the crew for their booty.

My way doesn't make it too easy to get scrip, which is how KI wants it, & also, the large amount of scrip rewarded, reflects the effort a pirate has to go through to get it. It's a way of giving us the chance to get a large amount of scrip without endless farming, but forces us to earn it too.

So, no... these treasure galleons must be captured as a requirement.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013

I really like this idea a lot would the ship be Marylebone themed? lvl65

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012

At the moment, you can only get Scrip by defeating ships without boarding (at least I've never gotten any Scrip when I've boarded a ship or allowed an enemy to board my ship).. To do this, KI would have to change how we get Scrip or let us know which ships are Treasure Ships so we know we have to board or be boarded by them. I don't think that KI will be changing the way we acquire Scrip any time soon.

The best way I've found to get Scrip is join one of the Scrip Hunting ship groups and just shoot ships from the Skies. You can also start your own group by attacking ships or helping other Pirates attack ships. Make sure you target a ship and get off at least one shot so you can receive the rewards. You can also get Scrip by going through the Smuggler's Arena (word of warning: it is hard and your Companions that are defeated will be on Bed Rest) or accessing the Wishing Well in Smuggler's Cove which gives Scrip occasionally or Gold (you can even use someone else's Smuggler's Cove).

Good Luck!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
The Helpful Pirate on Jan 5, 2015 wrote:
At the moment, you can only get Scrip by defeating ships without boarding (at least I've never gotten any Scrip when I've boarded a ship or allowed an enemy to board my ship).. To do this, KI would have to change how we get Scrip or let us know which ships are Treasure Ships so we know we have to board or be boarded by them. I don't think that KI will be changing the way we acquire Scrip any time soon.

The best way I've found to get Scrip is join one of the Scrip Hunting ship groups and just shoot ships from the Skies. You can also start your own group by attacking ships or helping other Pirates attack ships. Make sure you target a ship and get off at least one shot so you can receive the rewards. You can also get Scrip by going through the Smuggler's Arena (word of warning: it is hard and your Companions that are defeated will be on Bed Rest) or accessing the Wishing Well in Smuggler's Cove which gives Scrip occasionally or Gold (you can even use someone else's Smuggler's Cove).

Good Luck!
Hi Helpful Pirate, quoting for extra 1000 characters.

As a side note to using the Smuggler's Arena as a source of Scrip, I would recommend doing it about 2-3 hours, before you plan on logging off for the night or for the last time during the day. That way whatever crew is on bed rest can heal up over night & should be shipshape by the time you log back in. Seems, pretty obvious, but you may be excited to jump into the Arena first thing on a Saturday morning, end up losing 10+ companions & want to get back to questing a little while after you finish your run through the Arena-- with some of your favorites "napping". I have completed the Arena twice as a max level, both times battling with my son's pirate. I received 430 Scrip the 1st time and 504 the 2nd time. I lost 14 companions the 1st go round and 10 the next, with my son's pirate losing 3 the 1st time and 4 the next--but I was the first pirate in, so I always had more companions on the board for the enemy to focus on. Since I did it before logging off for the night, they were all healed up when I got back on.

And to get the higher Scrip totals, you need to progress through to the later rounds or waves. It's a major time investment to get to those higher levels, so if you only have an hour to play, ship combat may be the best & most lucrative option as far as time and Scrip output goes. Khotan Skyway is a pretty decent spot for Scrip farming, especially if you are a maxed nautical pirate going alone or with a small group. There's 2 sinkable boss ships near each other there, lots of enemy ships & a very fast turn around. If you are after high level ship gear, well Aquila would be better for combined Scrip & Gear acquisition. But just for Scrip Khotan is a decent spot too. The enemy ships & bosses give out up to 8 Scrip (maybe more) which is less than say the up to 15 you can get from Pluton & Aquilian ships in Achaean Skyway, but they are tougher & you may be able to sink 2-3 MooShu ships in the same time you sink one Aquilian, possibly netting up to 16-24 Scrip, versus the 15 from the Aquilian. Either way, in a group is much more lucrative and faster.

When using Eagle ships in MooShu, you may not want too big of a ship pack, so as to let everyone get a shot in before the enemy ships quickly sink. With a bigger group, they will sink very fast and not everyone may have time to hone in and fire off a shot.

Happy Scrip Huntin' to ya!

Petty Officer
Aug 22, 2010

Good Luck!
KI would not have to change how we get scrip at all. The current system would remain in place. All they would have to do is generate a special kind of ship to randomly spawn in the skyways & they would be easily identifiable by their design & appearance. I'll let the KI artists decide how they should look. Also, when you target the ship, it will say... "Armada Treasure Galleon" or "Cutthroat Treasure Galleon", etc.

I would also like to add, that since, scrip is a black market currency, only the Armada & pirate factions would have these treasure galleons. After all, we want to steal from the bad guys, not the good guys.

These treasure galleons would also have long respawn times, like once every 1 or 2 hours, but it will be random as well as their location.

@ Anecorbie... Yes these treasure galleons could be accidentally sunk & the booty lost, but that is the way it should be, so it's not too easy to get the scrip. Plus if these ships escape to a windlane, then you will have to wait for it to respawn to try again; also to make for a greater challenge.

Yes, only 4 pirates can board the ship, making it 1st come 1st serve, as it should be; b/c that is the pirate way. Arr.

The reason for the random respawn times & random spawn locations, is to make it so the same group of players cannot sit around & farm these treasure galleons.
The intent for my idea is to make it a lucky happens chance that you, the pirate, stumbles on to as you sail the skyways. Imagine.....

You are sailing away, on some quest, a farm location, or whatever..... & there it is. A treasure galleon.
"What luck!", you say to yourself, as you make for the ship, driving headlong through the clouds.
At the sounding of your guns, the treasure galleon returns fire & breaks full right rudder for the safety of the nearest windlane. The chase is on & you pursue your prey bearing to her the full might of your ship's broadside. Aghast! Their colors are struck! Your gallant crew grapples the ship, & you board her. The enemy crew defends their ship to the end.
All that remains, are a pile of cogs, scrap metal, & their treasure chests. The booty awaits.
"Ah HA! scrip! SCRIP! & MORE SCRIP!"
Arr.

Admiral
May 30, 2010

Good Luck!
KI could easily enough let us know it's a treasure ship by putting the little treasure chest icon on the ship's flag, or do as they do for the unsinkables and use a chest rather than a rubber ducky.

Valkoor, your posts are always so carefully thought out and clearly worded you don't need to quote anyone for extra characters. Maybe you and Chrissy need little treasure chest icons yourselves.