Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Towering Personalities

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
I'm sorry, I haven't replied sooner. I'm having keyboard issues which prevent me from logging onto the message boards. I'm typing this at my local library.
Yes, that type of personality,, which as you recall, I call 'The Punster" can be a real pain- FROM LAUGHING so hard you can't control the mouse!
No worries Esperanza, that just stinks that you are having issues with your keyboard. I thought something was keeping you from posting on the boards, as we have greatly missed your creative and wonderful offerings recently!

And yes, 'The Punster'- He can't control his mouth and thus you can't control your mouse.......what a truly diabolical and nefarious sort!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
Thanks to all for sharing your 'pet peeves'. If you're not tired of interesting types, I have a few more to share:
This is one I met a few days ago, whom I'll call the Myth Monger- this player is seriously superstitious, he/she believes that if you use a Treasure Bath doubloon during the Nef- five fight, you won't receive any special drops from them. However, if you refrain from using that doubloon, you are certain to receive that special drop. It is impossible to argue with this player. One even insisted that a KI employee had written that code so it would happen! Of course, when I challenged him on how he knew this or even the name of who wrote it, he was unable to tell me.
Next personality I met was a combination of the Strategic Genius & something new; I'll call them the Life Style Manager/Personal Trainer. This guy not only tried to direct the fight, but was telling one of the other swashbucklers how to dress & train. When I got charmed during the Nef-5 fight I was saying to myself "come on, attack me, I sooo want to kill you!"
LOL That is the joy of being able to dabble a bit in some delightful nefariousity You have an outlet to deal with such shenanigans.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Interesting problem arose the other day in the tower. Two pirates wanted to drink the elixir, both thought that they had the 'ok' to do this, both unequipped their gear, each unaware of the other and myself and the other team member being aware of only one wishing to drink ( a receipe for disaster, no? )
Well, my shipmates, one drinker drank ( a buccaneer ) we all were surprised as well as the other drinker ( a privateer ), this could have led to a very nasty scene with lots of drama. It didn't happen! The buccaneer apologized, the privateer accepted the apology.
Then the ( unequipped ) privateer proceeded to kick tushie in the battle with the Nef-5! He kept us alive and buffed and even fended off an attack by one of the charmed members! This should prove beyond a doubt that privateers still have the power despite the changes in their powers!

Ensign
Oct 10, 2009
This isn't particularly a pet peeve, but it is something I've noticed (and what Dante previously touched upon): The Besties. These are two to three people with whom you fight who are obviously friends and constantly chatter. This is a double-edged sword: they can be a real annoyance if they don't shut up, but they could be fun to be around and you might become friends with them. I usually do the tower with a "Bestie" of my own, and thanks to team up, we ran into another pair of "Besties," and we are now all Uber-Besties. Other times, my nonstop nonsense chatter (I once spent the nefarious battle quoting random movies) has led to experiences with Quitters and Whiners.

Ensign
May 16, 2011
Yes that tower does draw an interesting bevy of boisterous pirates aaargh!

I've seen them all ... (I now wear 2 eyepatches).

'Tis a pity our younger piratey pirates don't read this thread. It would give them a grasp of the quintessentials of the word TEAM. There is no "I" in Team.

I have one more interesting character type to add to the fray. Funny enough this pirate even called himself Annoying ... piratey pirate. He lurks at the tower sigil on the weekends and loves to join team up. He goes in with the team and never joins just leaves. So we all go back after the first battle to join team up and guess who's in the team up? So we all go in again and he leaves again immediately. I've encountered this little varmit 2 weekends in a row now. I rarely report but if I see this little funster next weekend I've just gotta pull out the quill and ink.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
euphorialbum99 on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
This isn't particularly a pet peeve, but it is something I've noticed (and what Dante previously touched upon): The Besties. These are two to three people with whom you fight who are obviously friends and constantly chatter. This is a double-edged sword: they can be a real annoyance if they don't shut up, but they could be fun to be around and you might become friends with them. I usually do the tower with a "Bestie" of my own, and thanks to team up, we ran into another pair of "Besties," and we are now all Uber-Besties. Other times, my nonstop nonsense chatter (I once spent the nefarious battle quoting random movies) has led to experiences with Quitters and Whiners.
Once again the power of Team Up and the power of needing each other and good teamwork has produced more uber-besties and thus stronger pirates. The ulterior motives of Ratbeard and his tower are truly making our experiences in the Spiral much richer and I am not talking about another maxed gold bank. How about attempting to max out our hearts in stronger friendships. (I say attempt because our hearts will always stretch to fit)

Thank you Ratbeard, well played.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ozzie Mozzie on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
Yes that tower does draw an interesting bevy of boisterous pirates aaargh!

I've seen them all ... (I now wear 2 eyepatches).

'Tis a pity our younger piratey pirates don't read this thread. It would give them a grasp of the quintessentials of the word TEAM. There is no "I" in Team.

I have one more interesting character type to add to the fray. Funny enough this pirate even called himself Annoying ... piratey pirate. He lurks at the tower sigil on the weekends and loves to join team up. He goes in with the team and never joins just leaves. So we all go back after the first battle to join team up and guess who's in the team up? So we all go in again and he leaves again immediately. I've encountered this little varmit 2 weekends in a row now. I rarely report but if I see this little funster next weekend I've just gotta pull out the quill and ink.
I feel your frustration there Mozzie. I would though, be careful where you toss that bottle with the report in it. Although that kind of rudeness is beyond infuriating it doesn't qualify as a reportable offence. As much as we would love to keel haul such a nefarious pirate or make them walk the plank a few times, ignoring them is the best we can do. You can always change realms to avoid them and if they are using the Team Up function to do this, then just remember their name and decline any Team Up that has their name.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
Interesting problem arose the other day in the tower. Two pirates wanted to drink the elixir, both thought that they had the 'ok' to do this, both unequipped their gear, each unaware of the other and myself and the other team member being aware of only one wishing to drink ( a receipe for disaster, no? )
Well, my shipmates, one drinker drank ( a buccaneer ) we all were surprised as well as the other drinker ( a privateer ), this could have led to a very nasty scene with lots of drama. It didn't happen! The buccaneer apologized, the privateer accepted the apology.
Then the ( unequipped ) privateer proceeded to kick tushie in the battle with the Nef-5! He kept us alive and buffed and even fended off an attack by one of the charmed members! This should prove beyond a doubt that privateers still have the power despite the changes in their powers!
eh that is debatable, you cannot reduce a witchdoctor's spellpower (unless you got bonuses from the start) so they can still deal very high damage

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
just ran into one today (Oct 9, 2014)

the Perfect Planner

this guy wants everything planned out perfectly, always knows where to go to use all the talents, and everything must be perfect according to him

(this may be another of those C'MON MAN! kinda ones but trust me it gets better)

if you take up one of "his spaces" by accident, oh man he will complain and ask you to move (name) so he can perform his actions the perfect way, and if you don't move in time...... you don't hear the end of it -_-

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
New type I met last night, one who completely spoiled it for everyone. At first I thought he was merely an un-equipped elixir-grabber. But he began spamming doubloons while 'under the influence' of the nefarious potion! When the rest of the team began telling him to stop, he had the nerve to say "I know what I'm doing." ( I know, right? ) He used Maelstrom ( twice ), Mark of Marleybone ( twice ) & Mark of Death!
He defeated the other buccaneer( he was a buccaneer, also ) and the musketeer on the team! I was a mouse click away from fleeing, just so he wouldn't get that Nefarious Sixth badge!
Ratbeard, I totally deserve a 'Virtuous Badge '! I used walk in Darkness, healed myself, then healed the musketeer, we beat that little git!
But this fiasco has made me think: what if his intent was to destroy the team from within? What if he already had that nefarious badge? So, I'm calling this type Moo's Mole!

Ensign
May 16, 2011
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 9, 2014 wrote:
I feel your frustration there Mozzie. I would though, be careful where you toss that bottle with the report in it. Although that kind of rudeness is beyond infuriating it doesn't qualify as a reportable offence. As much as we would love to keel haul such a nefarious pirate or make them walk the plank a few times, ignoring them is the best we can do. You can always change realms to avoid them and if they are using the Team Up function to do this, then just remember their name and decline any Team Up that has their name.
We would have loved to have avoided the Team Up function if we could but since there was hardly anyone wanting to do the tower, and Mr Annoying just loves to keep using the Team Up we had to wait until someone else finally turned up to go in. That was the really annoying part of it all. I pity the others that had joined him in Team Up too. Surely this must be a drawn and quartered offense? or is it tarred and feathered? Walking the Plank sounds too good for that joker!

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
am i the only one that really didnt like the idea of the tower?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Logan Sharp on Oct 9, 2014 wrote:
just ran into one today (Oct 9, 2014)

the Perfect Planner

this guy wants everything planned out perfectly, always knows where to go to use all the talents, and everything must be perfect according to him

(this may be another of those C'MON MAN! kinda ones but trust me it gets better)

if you take up one of "his spaces" by accident, oh man he will complain and ask you to move (name) so he can perform his actions the perfect way, and if you don't move in time...... you don't hear the end of it -_-
Sounds like a Strategic Genius to me.If,however,they weave little plans to players outside of battles,they are Lifestyle Managers.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
euphorialbum99 on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
Don't worry.This one time,Esperanza and I slipped from talking about chemistry,to tea.

To talking about my grandma!But this conversation was in those private chats,that are enabled via True Friend Codes.As menu chat,I have no problems with Besties.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
The Hoodoo Master on Oct 10, 2014 wrote:
Sounds like a Strategic Genius to me.If,however,they weave little plans to players outside of battles,they are Lifestyle Managers.
eh ill admit, I seem to be a Strategic Genius myself, but I will NEVER tell someone how to play the game or alter their combat style,

the combat portions all about using attacks to win the battles, which is why some styles take longer and some take shorter, now if you ask for advice, that's a completely different story, ill gladly help, but I wont straight up say, "that's not going to work"

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
I come across people that want to go afk all the time. your sitting in the four person chest area waiting on them to comeback online. I understand we all have things that pull us away. but don't go afk every 10 mins or so. than come back saying "sorry guys I was watching tv" or "sorry guys i'm playing wizard101 or on central at the same time" why play when you don't have time too play. those types of people are the one's we sit and wait for after the battle telling them to hurry before the four person chest go away. I have no problem with team matchup for dungeons just the people I'm pared with. the only way you can get a good team is on here or pirate101 central.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
WitchDoctor Webb on Oct 10, 2014 wrote:
I come across people that want to go afk all the time. your sitting in the four person chest area waiting on them to comeback online. I understand we all have things that pull us away. but don't go afk every 10 mins or so. than come back saying "sorry guys I was watching tv" or "sorry guys i'm playing wizard101 or on central at the same time" why play when you don't have time too play. those types of people are the one's we sit and wait for after the battle telling them to hurry before the four person chest go away. I have no problem with team matchup for dungeons just the people I'm pared with. the only way you can get a good team is on here or pirate101 central.
Oh yes, the AFK warriors. Now, I'm not blaming those with an actual reason for leaving the key board briefly- real life intrudes, emergencies arise. But some of the excuses offered were, well annoying. Like the time a player told us "brb, gotta clean my room" or " sorry, I'm gonna go fix lunch, brb". or especially the ones who announce " sorry I was afk, did I miss anything?".

Ensign
Jul 21, 2013
WitchDoctor Webb on Oct 10, 2014 wrote:
My friend Iridian and I end up with these people alllll the time. it's very annoying. There was this one girl that agreed to help us, and so we were like "WOOOO yeah finally!" cause we were looking for people for about..maybe. 45 minutes. yes we knew about the team up, we just had bad luck with that. (Trolls, Users, Bossy people) and so right after the second battle ( I think ) She says, "Oh sorry. I have to go." and everyone raged cause she shouldn't have even agreed to help. but. you know. it happens

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
Oh my. I just had quite the experience.

Did a team up and it was a perfectly balanced group----musketeer, witchdoctor, swashbuckler and buccaneer. The swash and buck were BFFs and spammed the chat the entire time with inside jokes and crude comments.

I asked as soon as the first battle started if everyone was in for the whole thing. One of the BFFs said he only wanted to go as far as the Five fight. Ok. No problem, as long as we're on the same page.

After the second battle he started griping at us because we joined and didn't let him do it solo. He was short on time, wanted to get to the Five fight and was mad that us joining was going to make the battles take longer.

His BFF was back there saying, "No, you don't understand. He has to leave soon and it'll be quicker this way."

I said, "No, YOU don't understand. We come in here as a team and we battle as a team. If you want to solo then solo. And don't team up in the first place if you don't have time for the entire thing. It's unfair to the other players and it's bad sportsmanship to tell others not to play just because you want to move through faster."

They told me to leave so I apologized to the witchdoctor and left.

I'm can't come up with any cute monikers for those types of players. What I want to call them would get me banned.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Oct 15, 2014 wrote:

Did a team up and it was a perfectly balanced group----musketeer, witchdoctor, swashbuckler and buccaneer. The swash and buck were BFFs and spammed the chat the entire time with inside jokes and crude comments.

I asked as soon as the first battle started if everyone was in for the whole thing. One of the BFFs said he only wanted to go as far as the Five fight. Ok. No problem, as long as we're on the same page.

After the second battle he started griping at us because we joined and didn't let him do it solo. He was short on time, wanted to get to the Five fight and was mad that us joining was going to make the battles take longer.

His BFF was back there saying, "No, you don't understand. He has to leave soon and it'll be quicker this way."

I said, "No, YOU don't understand. We come in here as a team and we battle as a team. If you want to solo then solo. And don't team up in the first place if you don't have time for the entire thing. It's unfair to the other players and it's bad sportsmanship to tell others not to play just because you want to move through faster."

I'm can't come up with any cute monikers for those types of players. What I want to call them would get me banned.
How in the world would soloing the tower be quicker? Unless he was hoping to die fast, I don't understand that argument.
You're right, if they wanted to solo the tower they shouldn't have joined a team-up.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Oct 15, 2014 wrote:
How in the world would soloing the tower be quicker? Unless he was hoping to die fast, I don't understand that argument.
You're right, if they wanted to solo the tower they shouldn't have joined a team-up.
Fewer enemies (somewhat) and he wouldn't have to wait for all of our turns. He also liked to Reckless Frenzy and I watched him take out 4 at one time.

He wanted to bash through the battles by himself and just have us join the Five fight. It was just so rude and he was acting like we were the problem by not just standing quietly by twiddling our thumbs to cater to him.

That was actually my second (and last) attempt at the tower today. The first one got ruined when someone left the floor BEFORE the Five fight. What a waste of time.

I've had some awesome experiences in there and just fell in love with one of the groups I wound up on. We clicked so well that it makes the not-so-great runs worth it.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Oct 15, 2014 wrote:

that's a sad story, I am sorry they cannot listen to reason, but problem is, they didn't understand the tower at ALL

as Ratbeard once quoted before: "The tower is not ment for people to sandbag their way through it" what he means is that if 4 people entered the tower, ALL fights are set up as 4v4s, so that little solo trick of his, means he is fighting a battle 1v4, so you were right the entire time, and as for him, he needs to learn to read the directions

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
just ran into one yesterday (the 16th)

the I think I know everything but I DONT kinda guy

this person has his plans based on 100% things that are wrong
some examples:

he told us about how awesome he is and that flanking is pure luck, it cant be activated, its all luck...
I told him he was wrong on this, (and proved it by marking and going to spots that activated flanking) yet he says I should get reported for HACKING the game, making flanking trigger whenever I want....ok then?

he complains that the pig necromancers who cast those area spells are, cheating..... (me: seriously? -_-)

says if you drink the potion in the middle you will permanently be an enemy and never fight with other pirates again...

the nerves of some people upset me a lot on these matters, I understand its a game and there is a lot to learn, but please don't complain you know everything until you TEST THEM OUT

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
New one for you to read about, although I'm sure some of you have met someone like this ( you may even be someone like this... sometimes )
It all started with one comment made by a team member, "Don't you think this dungeon is boring?"
Huh? Boring? Difficult, challenging, even annoying sometimes.... but boring?
Then this player began to be afk through the whole battle. I didn't understand just exactly what was going on with him UNTIL the fourth floor ( fire room ). He hadn't joined us until the third round of the fight and again made no actions. I was talking to him, trying to find out what the problem was. THEN it hit me, he was asleep at the computer! When he began fighting again, I and another team member asked if he had been sleeping; he admitted he was, but that he would 'do better' from now on and he refused to leave. We just didn't believe that he could stay awake so I and the other team mate left him there.
Please, if you're going to do a team up for a 2+ hour dungeon, don't do it when you're tired. That's all.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
New one for you to read about, although I'm sure some of you have met someone like this ( you may even be someone like this... sometimes )
It all started with one comment made by a team member, "Don't you think this dungeon is boring?"
Huh? Boring? Difficult, challenging, even annoying sometimes.... but boring?
Then this player began to be afk through the whole battle. I didn't understand just exactly what was going on with him UNTIL the fourth floor ( fire room ). He hadn't joined us until the third round of the fight and again made no actions. I was talking to him, trying to find out what the problem was. THEN it hit me, he was asleep at the computer! When he began fighting again, I and another team member asked if he had been sleeping; he admitted he was, but that he would 'do better' from now on and he refused to leave. We just didn't believe that he could stay awake so I and the other team mate left him there.
Please, if you're going to do a team up for a 2+ hour dungeon, don't do it when you're tired. That's all.
I had a friend of mine do this exact same thing, but we managed to complete this dungeon, I called him and his loud phone ring woke him up