Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Towering Personalities

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Unfortunately she was most likely right in her assumption of that......

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Mar 30, 2016 wrote:
Unfortunately she was most likely right in her assumption of that......

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
She was just being vindictive, she would have thought differently had I managed to defeat her Yohr. It's not a tragedy if a companion goes on "bed rest" during the Nef-five battle; I've come to expect it. Or in the battle with the terror-cotta.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I don't know when this has started to happen, but lately it's become a habit of most players to thank the team for a good tower run. I've started doing this, too.
What a refreshing change of attitude!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 30, 2016 wrote:
She was just being vindictive, she would have thought differently had I managed to defeat her Yohr. It's not a tragedy if a companion goes on "bed rest" during the Nef-five battle; I've come to expect it. Or in the battle with the terror-cotta.
I meant with them using the speed cheat thing...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 3, 2016 wrote:
I don't know when this has started to happen, but lately it's become a habit of most players to thank the team for a good tower run. I've started doing this, too.
What a refreshing change of attitude!
I think the trolls have given up after a year of trolling

Anyway new personality

I was running with this guy and every buff I gave him example: el toro's esprit de corps
He would say thank you

So I have discovered the Thankful

I suppose that makes me the one with no problems having to say np all the time to him

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
I meant with them using the speed cheat thing...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I don't know what the policy at KI is for the speed engine thing is, as I understand it, it's not a hack. I only know that when a player ( or more ) is using one it causes chests to appear while companions are still attacking.
In any case, the one using it had turned it off.

Captain
Jul 16, 2014
anecorbie on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
I don't know what the policy at KI is for the speed engine thing is, as I understand it, it's not a hack. I only know that when a player ( or more ) is using one it causes chests to appear while companions are still attacking.
In any case, the one using it had turned it off.
Using Cheat Engine to "speed hack" is certainly against the rules. I mean, it's right there in the name. "Cheat."

*Bonnie Anne, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Bonnie Anne on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
Using Cheat Engine to "speed hack" is certainly against the rules. I mean, it's right there in the name. "Cheat."
Thank you for clearing that up for me, now I can pass that information to my friends and others.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Have you ever experienced this? You're in a team-up and nobody has said one word from floor 1 through floor 10?
I call them "The Silent Runners" - getting a conversation going is like wadding through glue. Saying "hi" only gets them to say "hi" back ( sometimes ). Asking if they're going to the top may get a reply from one ( maybe 2 ), but usually one of the team is silent ( I'm not including Menu Chat in this category. )
Then there are the ones that are absolutely hostile to any talking at all; on one run I and another team mate were talking movies, books, whatever and tried to include a team mate in the conversation, but by floor 9 he told us our conversations were "dumb" and when asked to make his own subject, said nothing. On another run the team was insulted on floor 10 by a musketeer who told everyone to "shut up."

Ensign
Aug 04, 2012
Yea, I've run into the silent runners quite often. I haven't been insulted by them though. I would imagine that some of those people are doing other things, and not much into the discussion, like watching T.V, or something like that.

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
anecorbie on May 16, 2016 wrote:
Have you ever experienced this? You're in a team-up and nobody has said one word from floor 1 through floor 10?
I call them "The Silent Runners" - getting a conversation going is like wadding through glue. Saying "hi" only gets them to say "hi" back ( sometimes ). Asking if they're going to the top may get a reply from one ( maybe 2 ), but usually one of the team is silent ( I'm not including Menu Chat in this category. )
Then there are the ones that are absolutely hostile to any talking at all; on one run I and another team mate were talking movies, books, whatever and tried to include a team mate in the conversation, but by floor 9 he told us our conversations were "dumb" and when asked to make his own subject, said nothing. On another run the team was insulted on floor 10 by a musketeer who told everyone to "shut up."
Believe it or not, I'm actually part of the "Silent Runner" types. I'm very shy, and because I'm so shy, I often come off as standoff-ish when I'm really not trying to be, and I normally don't speak unless spoken to.

While I do try to reciprocate, I still don't say very much. I'm able to say hi to someone and answer simple questions, but striking up a regular conversation is just beyond my comfort zone. I suppose it's harder for me to speak to someone in-game because of how I feel I need to say something right then and there so no one thinks I'm ignoring them, which often leads to overthinking what and how I should reply or (most of the time) simply being unsure of what I should say next. Next thing you know, I'm all clammed up while barely focusing on the game itself. Here it's different because I don't nearly feel as pressured when speaking to others, I'm able to think calmly and reply with ease.

Perhaps it's something similar with some of those silent players. It could be that they're just shy, or heavily into the game, or maybe a bit of both. (I know we silent types can be pretty dull, but try not to be too hard on us. ) As for the rude ones; nuts to them.

However, I will say that this tower practically represents why I'm so glad that we can solo the game without having to consider whether or not questing with others is absolutely necessary.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
witchdoctor daruis on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
I think the trolls have given up after a year of trolling

Anyway new personality

I was running with this guy and every buff I gave him example: el toro's esprit de corps
He would say thank you

So I have discovered the Thankful

I suppose that makes me the one with no problems having to say np all the time to him
I've noticed that the number of "thanks" given for buffs is low compared to Wizard101. Granted, the buffs aren't quite the same in that all buffs don't necessarily affect all team members. But I still try to make it a point to thank someone if they do me a proper. Especially if one of my melee guys is surrounded and my partner throws a Crow's Song or Vulture's Gift on him. Definitely thank worthy!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hoodoo Mistress on May 17, 2016 wrote:
Believe it or not, I'm actually part of the "Silent Runner" types. I'm very shy, and because I'm so shy, I often come off as standoff-ish when I'm really not trying to be, and I normally don't speak unless spoken to.

While I do try to reciprocate, I still don't say very much. I'm able to say hi to someone and answer simple questions, but striking up a regular conversation is just beyond my comfort zone. I suppose it's harder for me to speak to someone in-game because of how I feel I need to say something right then and there so no one thinks I'm ignoring them, which often leads to overthinking what and how I should reply or (most of the time) simply being unsure of what I should say next. Next thing you know, I'm all clammed up while barely focusing on the game itself. Here it's different because I don't nearly feel as pressured when speaking to others, I'm able to think calmly and reply with ease.

Perhaps it's something similar with some of those silent players. It could be that they're just shy, or heavily into the game, or maybe a bit of both. (I know we silent types can be pretty dull, but try not to be too hard on us. ) As for the rude ones; nuts to them.

However, I will say that this tower practically represents why I'm so glad that we can solo the game without having to consider whether or not questing with others is absolutely necessary.
I, too, am a bit shy. But I find if you actually try to start a conversation; most players will reciprocate.
I've tried these various gambits for conversation:
"Is there anything you're wanting in the tower?"
If the players are friendly ( but shy ) this can start the ball rolling, and you learn a bit about your team mates.
"Do you know the latest news in updates?"
This really works well now.
Or, I find compliments are a good way to get players to talk.
"That was some awesome damage!"
"Great strategy there!"
In menu chat you can find under Battle/ Happy some good compliments.
Praising a companion is good, too. Or if they have one of the companions from any pack:
"I see you have----, what do you think of him/her?"
or "How did you train them?"
Showing an interest is a way to make new friends ( or at, least makes the Tower more pleasant to be in. )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TucsonWizard on May 17, 2016 wrote:
I've noticed that the number of "thanks" given for buffs is low compared to Wizard101. Granted, the buffs aren't quite the same in that all buffs don't necessarily affect all team members. But I still try to make it a point to thank someone if they do me a proper. Especially if one of my melee guys is surrounded and my partner throws a Crow's Song or Vulture's Gift on him. Definitely thank worthy!
Actually, I've seen the opposite - the number of thanks sometimes gets silly. I think thanking someone for using a doubloon is going beyond what's necessary. Like tower shield, which is random in placement and usually ends up on a pet!
And some Privateers actually get tired of "ty" and having to respond "yw" or "np" every time.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
anecorbie on May 17, 2016 wrote:
Actually, I've seen the opposite - the number of thanks sometimes gets silly. I think thanking someone for using a doubloon is going beyond what's necessary. Like tower shield, which is random in placement and usually ends up on a pet!
And some Privateers actually get tired of "ty" and having to respond "yw" or "np" every time.
That is interesting. I've tended to solo most of the game so perhaps that's the reason I haven't seen it as much. Like I mentioned, I dish out thank-yous on a regular basis but sometimes they do seem a bit unnecessary... especially when you consider that in most cases the buffs are ultimately beneficial to everyone in the battle regardless of where they go.
What happens to me more often is I'll get in a battle with the "my way is the best way" guy. Every action I take is critiqued... "why would you do that?" or "that's not the way you should do that" or "it works better if you do this". I don't mind a little friendly advice but sometimes these people can be downright offensive. I normally just offer them a thanks for the advice. Sometimes it's best to just clam up and move on.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
anecorbie on May 16, 2016 wrote:
I do silent run occasionally but I'm not rude

Like ComWolf mentioned I'm usually doing other things while in the tower

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
For me when it comes to buffs it depends what I do if I get thanked, let's say I use El Toro's esprit, most people wouldn't thank me for that, but if I used Ravens cry of used big juju right when one of my teammates are going to attack they usually thank me

Never have I ever seen someone thank the Old Scratch buff though

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TucsonWizard on May 17, 2016 wrote:
That is interesting. I've tended to solo most of the game so perhaps that's the reason I haven't seen it as much. Like I mentioned, I dish out thank-yous on a regular basis but sometimes they do seem a bit unnecessary... especially when you consider that in most cases the buffs are ultimately beneficial to everyone in the battle regardless of where they go.
What happens to me more often is I'll get in a battle with the "my way is the best way" guy. Every action I take is critiqued... "why would you do that?" or "that's not the way you should do that" or "it works better if you do this". I don't mind a little friendly advice but sometimes these people can be downright offensive. I normally just offer them a thanks for the advice. Sometimes it's best to just clam up and move on.
Yes, I've met players like that. In one of my first posts in this thread I described them as "The Strategic Genius".
I've also met players who give very good suggestions ( & do it as a suggestion, not a command or critique. )
If the buff or heal/shield is individual - then I think a "thank you" is in order.
I think the reason there is no thanking for a Scratch buff is that it's like an El Toro buff, or it only affect Witches and Privies.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ugh, why is that treasure bath doubloon myth still haunting the tower? I just tried a run ( on my alternate account ) and there were 2 of these myth believers in the group.
"Don't use treasure bath during the five fight or Moo Manchu, it reduces drops."
Me: "Man, I'll use what I like."
"You won't get anything."
Me: "that's a load of bull droppings, it's a myth."
"Everyone who has done this tower knows its the truth."
Me: "everyone who's smart knows its a myth."
"Ok, I'm out of here, if you're not going to play right."
Me - leaves them and their myth-loving tushies.
This was my second attempt at finding a good team up. The other was cut short by a Menu Chat Snob. Who saw that we had one on the team.
"Great a mute, I'm leaving."
Me: "Why?"
"You can't play with them."
"Yes, you can."
"No, I'm going."
"Gee, how would you like it if people wouldn't play with you?"
After that first battle the 2 of them left, wish I could tell them exactly what I thought of them.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
anecorbie on Jun 13, 2016 wrote:
Ugh, why is that treasure bath doubloon myth still haunting the tower? I just tried a run ( on my alternate account ) and there were 2 of these myth believers in the group.
"Don't use treasure bath during the five fight or Moo Manchu, it reduces drops."
Me: "Man, I'll use what I like."
"You won't get anything."
Me: "that's a load of bull droppings, it's a myth."
"Everyone who has done this tower knows its the truth."
Me: "everyone who's smart knows its a myth."
"Ok, I'm out of here, if you're not going to play right."
Me - leaves them and their myth-loving tushies.
This was my second attempt at finding a good team up. The other was cut short by a Menu Chat Snob. Who saw that we had one on the team.
"Great a mute, I'm leaving."
Me: "Why?"
"You can't play with them."
"Yes, you can."
"No, I'm going."
"Gee, how would you like it if people wouldn't play with you?"
After that first battle the 2 of them left, wish I could tell them exactly what I thought of them.
I know I hate it when people say don't use doubloons, to which I respond by using the exact doubloons they don't want me to use and say that it doesn't do anything and that we will still get drops.

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
I remembered i once did team up and when we got to nef 5 the swashbuckler in our team quit and then our strongest teammate drank from the chalice just for the 'cool eyes' then he repeated over and over again that I was a hopeless player, I mean sure, I played privy as an attack class, but I still managed to solo a lot of quests. The ironic part is that he called me a bad teammate just after he, being our strongest member drank from the chalice, leaving me and a witchdocotr to beat all the 5 and him.

Arr, have ye a wonderful time travelling the spiral!

~ Nathaniel Lawson

Lieutenant
Aug 17, 2014
The Gear Troll... the guy that doesn't get the chests just to annoy people.And his argument is ''because I don't need gold, I don't care what you want''.

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
The people who purposely don't choose any powers every turn and make everyone wait for 30 seconds are pretty bad.

Ensign
May 17, 2013
I love/hate the tower. It all depends on what goes on. For instance, this one Buccaneer was really arrogant and even said my talents were bad. I think I'll call him the 'Snobbish Complainer', a person that thinks they know everything yet when they are defeated, they complain how unfair it is. When we made it to the Nefarious Five, this guy literally drank the potion with gear on and said 'You're dead'. By the Spiral I can't tell you how great it was for him to die by me and my wonder flamingo Chantal. That shut him up for a good few moments.

Ensign
May 14, 2013
I myself had I great experience in the tower. The first time I did it I was around lvl 50, but had three other max pirates with me. They were really nice and encouraging even if most of my companions died. The best part came when we reached the nefarious. I wasn't expecting it but they said I could go ahead and get the badge. Of course I was thrilled and we proceeded to attack the five. It turns out one of the players wasn't very happy with me taking the badge, and quit. Despite this setback, my team-mates fought valiantly and although our swashbuckler was defeated, our last member, a witchdoctor, managed to stall out the remaining privy with summons. I think sought of persistence even when down to the last pirate and with an underleveled team-mate is very admirable. I think I'll call this type of person the Persistent Mentor.