Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Towering Personalities

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ahoy, well since the debut of the Tower of Moo Manchu ( thank you, Ratbeard, for all your hard work & devotion to this new dungeon. To your team also, many thanks ) I have used the Team Up option a majority of the time.
And an interesting social phenomenon has unveiled itself before my eyes.
In the first week of playing, I have met and become friends with many wonderful players. ( Even a group of die-hard pvpers ) They made the Tower an absolute pleasure to be in!
Now the less desirable personalities are creeping in, like ants at a picnic. These are:
Trolls ( they're everywhere & lets face it, having one on the team is like being locked in a barrel with an angry skunk! )
The Quitters ( a vast reason why most tower runs using team up fails ) The worst of these are quitters with an agenda.
And something new to me:
The Freeloader ( this player hangs back, you and the rest have begun battle, but this pirate waits on the edge of the battle board; until you have defeated or severely wounded a few enemies. Usually by the second or third round ) Then they join. When it comes to face the Nef-5, however, they are there to fight. Then they usually turn into a quitter, if they don't get what they want.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I be happy fer ye on the many new friends ye made lass, and yet I couldn't agree with ye more on yer topic lass, they be some of many things that make go beyond the level of angry to BLISTERING FURY, pirates like those need to be thrown in the brig, ye here me.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Sep 22, 2014 wrote:
Ahoy, well since the debut of the Tower of Moo Manchu ( thank you, Ratbeard, for all your hard work & devotion to this new dungeon. To your team also, many thanks ) I have used the Team Up option a majority of the time.
And an interesting social phenomenon has unveiled itself before my eyes.
In the first week of playing, I have met and become friends with many wonderful players. ( Even a group of die-hard pvpers ) They made the Tower an absolute pleasure to be in!
Now the less desirable personalities are creeping in, like ants at a picnic. These are:
Trolls ( they're everywhere & lets face it, having one on the team is like being locked in a barrel with an angry skunk! )
The Quitters ( a vast reason why most tower runs using team up fails ) The worst of these are quitters with an agenda.
And something new to me:
The Freeloader ( this player hangs back, you and the rest have begun battle, but this pirate waits on the edge of the battle board; until you have defeated or severely wounded a few enemies. Usually by the second or third round ) Then they join. When it comes to face the Nef-5, however, they are there to fight. Then they usually turn into a quitter, if they don't get what they want.
Yeah,you're right,there is a lot of really bad people.And while I have only done the tower from start to finish once(and tried tons and tons of times),I can't truly comment on this,because Esperanza,you know I'm menu chat.

I can't comment that the Quitters who go through the tower just to get something and leave the others for dead when they get it are some of the worst(even worse than non-quitting troll)

Quitters,however,who leave because real life calls are nor nearly as deserving of a punishment.Real life is so time consuming and complicated that it takes time out of the players.They want to stay with you.They want to finish it from start to finish and they want to have as much fun with you and make sure you have as much fun with them.But more important things call them first.

Freeloaders?I never knew there was people like that.And I must admit,that sounds so maddening.What's the point of having a player who isn't gonna participate?To open the four lock chest?Really?

And as Menu chat,I haven't experienced much trolls,except those who show meanness(yes,that's a real word) not through spoken word but through actions.And that is far from good.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Sep 23, 2014 wrote:
Yeah,you're right,there is a lot of really bad people.And while I have only done the tower from start to finish once(and tried tons and tons of times),I can't truly comment on this,because Esperanza,you know I'm menu chat.

I can't comment that the Quitters who go through the tower just to get something and leave the others for dead when they get it are some of the worst(even worse than non-quitting troll)

Quitters,however,who leave because real life calls are nor nearly as deserving of a punishment.Real life is so time consuming and complicated that it takes time out of the players.They want to stay with you.They want to finish it from start to finish and they want to have as much fun with you and make sure you have as much fun with them.But more important things call them first.

Freeloaders?I never knew there was people like that.And I must admit,that sounds so maddening.What's the point of having a player who isn't gonna participate?To open the four lock chest?Really?

And as Menu chat,I haven't experienced much trolls,except those who show meanness(yes,that's a real word) not through spoken word but through actions.And that is far from good.
If they leave before the Nef-5, then I've always considered that they left for a good reason. It's those who leave right after the Nef-5 encounter; that proves they were there for one reason - the drops from the Nef-5. They are using us as a means of gaining what they want and to heck with you!
Perhaps a better term would be Users!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have only attempted it once, with Fiorenza and two strangers who turned out to be sterling characters. We had fun and succeeded. From the troubles others are having with quitters, it sounds like we were lucky!

-Indigo

Ensign
May 16, 2011
I still maintain that first and foremost is that the tower is still far too long.

Doing the tower with friends is great and may cut the time to roughly 2 hours.

However, since I have 6 max level characters I've had to do the tower on many (too many) occasions with random team up.

The random team up still takes 3 hours and 95% of the time there is only 3 people left to do the last two battles.

One time it took me an hour just to get a team that would stay together after the first battle. I believe some people like to jump in and leave just to be a nuisance (Trolls). This usually happens a lot on the weekends.
So add an hour onto a 3 hour tower and it gets absolutely mind numbing.

Yes I've met some nice people there but seriously it really needs to be shortened up.

I can't wait for the day that I won't need to do it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
A couple of new types which I have had the misfortune to meet:
The Whiner - this fellow whines about his luck in battle, for example,when the SBs use their 'Hidden' power, he complains that this just makes him a target. He might have got some sympathy from me, except he was a SB, too! Even the Privateer on the team used Walk in Darkness! Dude, you don't want to be a target? Then use 'Hide', that's what its for!
The Strategic Genius - fancies herself the Napoliguin of P101, she tells you how to play & that your strategy is bound to fail.
The Elixir Grabber - When this happened to me recently, I couldn't believe it. Without warning ( or unequiping ) the Privateer of our team gulped down that foul bovine's potion! We were nearly beaten. Her excuse? "I knew you wouldn't give me time to unequip." If you asked you would have found out that we would allow that ( far better than fighting a fully equipped Privateer! )

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I got so annoyed with the tower team ups too that I quit the game for a day. I have worked with people in all these categories too and you just can't tell them they are being unreasonable or you get a lecture the entire run.

The dungeon is long but I think having it that way for what you get there is perfectly balanced. If you don't have enough time to make a full run please don't join a team up. If you have to leave because of a life's call that's okay though because you can't plan for that.

Here is another category the secret team-Here you have teamed up with secret friends who are talking amongst themselves with the friend chat and don't include you in on the plan. Usually this is on who is drinking the potion or that they have decided to stop the run after the nefarious five yet they tell you publically that they are making the full run. This is because they were having a hard time finding a fourth person. It's a variation on users.

This one really ticked me off and I made a post about it before. People don't lie if your not going to do a full run say so when your forming the group.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Our elixir grabber's excuse was, "But the graphic effect looks so cool and I wanted it!." Unfortunately in our case one player ran from the battle and it was just me and another guy and we ended up being killed. So we wasted our two hours. Ours was a buccaneer who refused to un-equip his weapon because he wanted to kill us all a point which he made perfectly clear.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 26, 2014 wrote:
A couple of new types which I have had the misfortune to meet:
The Whiner - this fellow whines about his luck in battle, for example,when the SBs use their 'Hidden' power, he complains that this just makes him a target. He might have got some sympathy from me, except he was a SB, too! Even the Privateer on the team used Walk in Darkness! Dude, you don't want to be a target? Then use 'Hide', that's what its for!
The Strategic Genius - fancies herself the Napoliguin of P101, she tells you how to play & that your strategy is bound to fail.
The Elixir Grabber - When this happened to me recently, I couldn't believe it. Without warning ( or unequiping ) the Privateer of our team gulped down that foul bovine's potion! We were nearly beaten. Her excuse? "I knew you wouldn't give me time to unequip." If you asked you would have found out that we would allow that ( far better than fighting a fully equipped Privateer! )
Ooh, those are some good ones and what about The In-Battle, Overly-Gratuitous Pun Disher-Outer that just doesn't seem to know when to stop! Man those types, geesh, they really get my toad fired up! Oh wait......yeah sorry about that......maybe!

Ensign
Nov 19, 2011
I have been using the team up feature when doing the tower and for the most part have been very lucky in getting on good teams. My biggest concern is losing connection while in there. My connection to the game can be very fickle at times and sometimes my connection to the internet drops. Both are very annoying when it happens.

However, I would like everyone to know that if you see any of my pirates waiting for a run of the tower you can depend on them going to the top unless my connection acts up.

Rylee Sharp, lvl 65

Autumn, lvl 65

Peachy Paige Nightingale, lvl 65

Anne Windlass, lvl 60

I should also warn everyone that might have me on a team that my typing speed severely lacks the SPEED part so I don't usually say much.

Happy pirating everyone.

Ensign
May 27, 2012
Rylee Sharp on Sep 29, 2014 wrote:
I have been using the team up feature when doing the tower and for the most part have been very lucky in getting on good teams. My biggest concern is losing connection while in there. My connection to the game can be very fickle at times and sometimes my connection to the internet drops. Both are very annoying when it happens.

However, I would like everyone to know that if you see any of my pirates waiting for a run of the tower you can depend on them going to the top unless my connection acts up.

Rylee Sharp, lvl 65

Autumn, lvl 65

Peachy Paige Nightingale, lvl 65

Anne Windlass, lvl 60

I should also warn everyone that might have me on a team that my typing speed severely lacks the SPEED part so I don't usually say much.

Happy pirating everyone.
I too have a computer crash problem which frustrates me no end. It is for this reason that I don't team up and spoil it for others. The way I see it is that my crash problem shouldn't be someone else's even though it is really, really, REALLY hard to see others with the goodies to be had and I can't get my hands on them yet

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Okay,I went into the tower,this morning,with three strangers.It went fine,with Blood Flames and doubloons we got through most of it,with ease!

Then,we got to the Nefarious Five,and it went well for the first few rounds.Without even unequiping his gear,or anything,he drank the Manchurian Elixir!We struggled there for a while,fighting him,BEnjamin and Faye(the other three having been defeated).When we were done,we got a lot of cool stuff(and it was still not the Mask of the Lotus I've been desperate to get since Test),we got Finkle's Loop(Woohoo!) and the Dragon Axe of Doom.

After receiving the Axe,one of the boys there was so happy,and it melted my heart to see it(even though I didn't get anything I wanted)...the Elixir Grabber turned into a User and disappeared...with his shiny new axe and Nefarious Glowy Eyes.And that is just...offensive...and mean!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 27, 2014 wrote:
Ooh, those are some good ones and what about The In-Battle, Overly-Gratuitous Pun Disher-Outer that just doesn't seem to know when to stop! Man those types, geesh, they really get my toad fired up! Oh wait......yeah sorry about that......maybe!
Menu chat, can't detect those guys.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
man, i love that there is a post available to vent about this! i have been doing the tower a ton lately, and i have easily discovered my least favorite category, which just so happens to be a mix of two previously stated categories and one that i am making now: the self proclaimed napoleguin, the whiner, and the (please forgive me for this overly used term) noob. this is the person who will jump straight in a battle without waiting for the team, charge straight forward regardless of everything, and be dead after 3 turns. they then attempt to lead the rest of us to victory from their grave . . . by telling us to do the exact thing that got them KO'ed. they proceed to claim that it was entirely bad luck/glitches/OP tower/gamecheating/my personal favorite: if the rest of us were not such noobs they would be alive. they then do this on almost every floor of the tower. eventually, we get to the nefarious (and thank gosh that he did take his gear off) and he drank the elixir. i buffed agility and set some traps, then i got critical'd by the buccaneers vicious and the subsequent hits, then blasted by the musketeer, and i was history. then, this wanna be whiny napoleguin noob (wwnn for short) who has been nothing but trouble this whole time starts alternating between "we have lost, your all so dumb" and continuing to tell them to do things that will get them killed. then, they summoned an orthrus. while charmed by the drink. what a great guy. anyway, eventually we win ( all thanks to a truly awesome buckling pirate lady whose name i wont mention just in case. . .) and we move on. in the end, no harm done, but i am still fuming over this today! maybe i just have issues letting stuff go, but man, people like that suck all the joy out of this game.

-Matthew Walker, 65 32

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
...and the most annoying of all the speed demon. This person wants to complete the dungeon as fast as possible and complains when conditions in battle cause it to go longer than planned and complains when your character's companions epics don't trigger. Or when a pet has charming gaze which is praised by him when it works in your favor but if it causes pets to break statues forget it lol.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
i have one as well to add

the FANS these guys will say how amazing everyone on the team is and wont stop talking about how an awesome an attack was...ever,

yeah this may seem like one of those, wait seriously? a fan? c'mon man! kinda deals

but trust me, when you have been around it for 2.5 straight hours and they are still talking about how I did that awesome 3200 damage from floor 3.....it gets on your nerves somewhat
I was the only one on my team to NOT mute that person

Ensign
Jul 21, 2013
I've run into a troll myself My team and I were in the nefarious battle, and this Privy named lets just say...Bob. literally sat in the corner until we were down to the buccaneer. (the enemy one lol) and so when we got the buccaneer to low health, Guess what "Bob" did? He drank the potion. Without warning. A fully. maxed. Privy. We wasted 2 hours on that tower, cause we lost the battle. It's a shame how many trolls there are, and how far they'd go just to see someone miserable. But. later that day My friends and I beat the nefarious and got so pretty awesome stuff so. It all turned out good in the end

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
By this point I've only been in the tower twice, and I was a little behind. The first time, my group skipped the dialogue and I wanted to hear it so I was always late... but gosh! At least I still made it before the first round started. Even if they were reading the dialogue, it doesn't take 2-3 rounds. Also the first time I wanted to drink the potion, but I gave my team the heads up well in advance. So using the "I knew you guys wouldn't give me enough time to unequip," is a very poor excuse. It doesn't take that long anyways. Also on both runs, everyone who came stayed to the end.

I suppose I'm pretty lucky for not running into a troll. I'm very serious about my time and I can't stand wasting it. I don't have the extra time to spare at all.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
sarcastiel on Oct 5, 2014 wrote:
I've run into a troll myself My team and I were in the nefarious battle, and this Privy named lets just say...Bob. literally sat in the corner until we were down to the buccaneer. (the enemy one lol) and so when we got the buccaneer to low health, Guess what "Bob" did? He drank the potion. Without warning. A fully. maxed. Privy. We wasted 2 hours on that tower, cause we lost the battle. It's a shame how many trolls there are, and how far they'd go just to see someone miserable. But. later that day My friends and I beat the nefarious and got so pretty awesome stuff so. It all turned out good in the end
Well, at least, since you lost the battle ole Bob there didn't get his badge.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Logan Sharp on Oct 4, 2014 wrote:
i have one as well to add

the FANS these guys will say how amazing everyone on the team is and wont stop talking about how an awesome an attack was...ever,

yeah this may seem like one of those, wait seriously? a fan? c'mon man! kinda deals

but trust me, when you have been around it for 2.5 straight hours and they are still talking about how I did that awesome 3200 damage from floor 3.....it gets on your nerves somewhat
I was the only one on my team to NOT mute that person
Lol Awesomeness has it's side effects. The paparazzi will always be there.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Blixet on Oct 3, 2014 wrote:
man, i love that there is a post available to vent about this! i have been doing the tower a ton lately, and i have easily discovered my least favorite category, which just so happens to be a mix of two previously stated categories and one that i am making now: the self proclaimed napoleguin, the whiner, and the (please forgive me for this overly used term) noob. this is the person who will jump straight in a battle without waiting for the team, charge straight forward regardless of everything, and be dead after 3 turns. they then attempt to lead the rest of us to victory from their grave . . . by telling us to do the exact thing that got them KO'ed. they proceed to claim that it was entirely bad luck/glitches/OP tower/gamecheating/my personal favorite: if the rest of us were not such noobs they would be alive. they then do this on almost every floor of the tower. eventually, we get to the nefarious (and thank gosh that he did take his gear off) and he drank the elixir. i buffed agility and set some traps, then i got critical'd by the buccaneers vicious and the subsequent hits, then blasted by the musketeer, and i was history. then, this wanna be whiny napoleguin noob (wwnn for short) who has been nothing but trouble this whole time starts alternating between "we have lost, your all so dumb" and continuing to tell them to do things that will get them killed. then, they summoned an orthrus. while charmed by the drink. what a great guy. anyway, eventually we win ( all thanks to a truly awesome buckling pirate lady whose name i wont mention just in case. . .) and we move on. in the end, no harm done, but i am still fuming over this today! maybe i just have issues letting stuff go, but man, people like that suck all the joy out of this game.

-Matthew Walker, 65 32
LOL sounds like the same player that I threatened to duct tape his head if he didn't stop his constant battle tips from his bobbleheaded state.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
Lol Awesomeness has it's side effects. The paparazzi will always be there.
tell me about it

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 27, 2014 wrote:
I'm sorry, I haven't replied sooner. I'm having keyboard issues which prevent me from logging onto the message boards. I'm typing this at my local library.
Yes, that type of personality,, which as you recall, I call 'The Punster" can be a real pain- FROM LAUGHING so hard you can't control the mouse!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks to all for sharing your 'pet peeves'. If you're not tired of interesting types, I have a few more to share:
This is one I met a few days ago, whom I'll call the Myth Monger- this player is seriously superstitious, he/she believes that if you use a Treasure Bath doubloon during the Nef- five fight, you won't receive any special drops from them. However, if you refrain from using that doubloon, you are certain to receive that special drop. It is impossible to argue with this player. One even insisted that a KI employee had written that code so it would happen! Of course, when I challenged him on how he knew this or even the name of who wrote it, he was unable to tell me.
Next personality I met was a combination of the Strategic Genius & something new; I'll call them the Life Style Manager/Personal Trainer. This guy not only tried to direct the fight, but was telling one of the other swashbucklers how to dress & train. When I got charmed during the Nef-5 fight I was saying to myself "come on, attack me, I sooo want to kill you!"