Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

the future of pvp

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Just to ask, any thoughts on how the PvP arenas were to be made yet, Ratbeard?

I mean, I would like for PvP arenas to be based on the game's current worlds, but I really think they shouldn't be restrained to just only one for each world, like how Wizard101's PvP does. The sizes for these PvP arenas based on the available worlds should be varied on how many Pirates can participate in, along with their Companions, too. The spectators are also welcome to watch the battles, or explore it, too. Also, they should be named, complete with their own backstories. I've thought of mine before & suggested to you about them.

Just asking & thinking about the PvP arenas besides the ones we do have in Skull Island for now. Hope we get to see them sometime soon.

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
In that case Ratbeard, will there be a door slot where players can go into and pvp with and against each other regardless of levels, or will that just be restricted to the small pvp arena houses only? I would sincerely hope that it's the former and not the latter as I personally like helping lower level players get some practice in against my summons on my max level Witchdoctor pirate as I feel that that helps them improve their skills a bit as well (with pretty successful results I might add) and it would be a dang shame if I wouldn't be allowed/able to do that kind of thing anymore, so there's that at least.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Those are really Awesome ideas... I'm sure if a few of those are implemented it would go a long way in helping everyone get a better understanding of how the classes currently stand next to each other

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks Rat Beard for responding to all the questions on this thread. It really is great that you guys directly respond to us here, and we all really appreciate it.

That being said, i do have one more question concerning PvP. before the spring update, our damage dealt was shown as an area between 2 numbers, and anywhere in that section could possibly be the damage dealt. now, damage is shown by a single number, but actual damage is the same, and the number is just the middle amount of damage dealt. (I hope i am getting all this right) So, my question is, how does armor/resistance play into that? is the amount of damage a player with high armor avoids taking a constant, as i originally assumed, or is the number shown just the center of a certain amount that varies? also, if it does vary, how can we check the maximum and minimum that we have a chance to defend from?

Thanks for all your help!

Developer
flash33 on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:
In that case Ratbeard, will there be a door slot where players can go into and pvp with and against each other regardless of levels, or will that just be restricted to the small pvp arena houses only? I would sincerely hope that it's the former and not the latter as I personally like helping lower level players get some practice in against my summons on my max level Witchdoctor pirate as I feel that that helps them improve their skills a bit as well (with pretty successful results I might add) and it would be a dang shame if I wouldn't be allowed/able to do that kind of thing anymore, so there's that at least.
Will there be a door slot where players can go into and pvp with and against each other regardless of levels?

We can make sure there's still a free-for-all option.

Is the amount of damage a player with high armor avoids taking a constant, as i originally assumed, or is the number shown just the center of a certain amount that varies?

1)You're correct in all your assumptions about how damage works (the display change showing the center value).

2) Armor is currently a random linear roll, reducing the damage dealt by anywhere from 50% of your Armor value to 100% of your Armor value. I am considering increasing that random roll to 75% to 125% to increase the value of Armor (among other options on the table). This would put your actual armor value in the middle of the random range, instead of at the top end.

Ensign
Mar 18, 2011
Can't wait for that update I'm a big PvP fan but I kinda got bored of it when it comes out my musket will be ready any how to for clearing it up ratbeard

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Alex Hawkins on Sep 23, 2014 wrote:
Lol fair point. I will try not to use hyperbole when writing to you guys. Even though I don't see how it makes anyone think of "false bugs". If it was a bug, I would be posting on the Bilge Pump, no?

I understand your feelings towards the hidden update based on your posts in the past, but to label the criticism and suggestions people post about it as "whining" is unprofessional to say the least. There is a reason why this change to hidden has gathered such a huge response from the community. Since the moment it was introduced in test topics on it keep being coming up, and yet we keep getting the same response of "use AoE attacks", "use hybrid weapons", etc etc. We are the players playing the game, PvPing and telling you that the AoE attacks and hybrid weapons are not enough to fight against the way hidden works now, yet sometimes it feels our opinions and suggestions are falling on deaf hears. I guarantee you that topics on hidden will keep coming up until some reliable counter-play to it is introduced.

Here's one suggestion, why not re-introduce Scent on a piece of gear? The way it works now a hidden-critical-Assassin Strike is enough to kill a player character in one turn, at least with something reliable like Scent the player will take less damage and not become completely useless in one turn.

Or, another good suggestion I have seen is making overwatch/repelborders rank 3 remove hidden. It gives a tool for players to counter the hidden while still allowing the player using the hidden spell to play around it.

There are many good suggestions that players other than myself have come up with and I wish they were taken more into consideration instead of being considered as players complaining and not adapting to the new changes. But then again, what could the players spending dozens of hours in the brawling hall possibly know about what works and doesn't, right? The future of PvP doesn't look bright unless some changes are made.

-Alex Hawkins/Alex Deathflame
Okay, Mister Alex. First of all, Swashbucklers are only now experiencing this ability the way it was originally intended to work all along from my understanding. Asking that a certain class has it's bread and butter ability be taken away or reduced in effectiveness just because you can't figure out a way to beat it is just wrong. I beat a Swashbuckler who is quite adept at pvp with my Witchdoctor the other day, so before I would question the mechanics of the game, I might question your strategies instead. My main character is a Swashbuckler and I have been waiting a long time to be in a position to be able to enter the Brawling Hall and actually feel good about my chances of winning. For the longest time Swashbucklers were, IMO, the hardest class to win with. Now we have a chance and that's the way it should be. All classes should have a good chance of winning and it should boil down to strategy and not what class you are. Besides, there are gear items that provide the hidden ability for all classes, I believe, so go get yourself some. I know for a fact that there is this type of gear for Witchdoctors and Musketeers because I have them. This is the most even the pvp playing field has been I think so instead of asking that a class be taken down...maybe you should rise up. There are many ways to beat a Swashbuckler, but I'm not gonna tell you how because hey...I'm a Swashbuckler.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Hello guys! I'd like to share some ideas with you, keep following.

Can you just imagine how awesome it would be if PvP had more victory conditions??
Can you even think about that? I mean this is beyond our humanly minds, I am telling you.
It would be unbelievable if this game had more PvP categories and modes where we can choose according to our mood.

Think about this:
1- Domination: players fight over the control of a specific area, or flag. Comes with either a timer, or a winning score.
2- Free for all: a four-players mode where everyone fights for himself. No companions allowed.
3- Hardcore PvP: weapons make more damage, armor is weakened, with weapon, talent, and power restrictions.
4- Solo PvP: regular PvP matches but only player(s) vs player(s), no companions allowed.
5- Solo PvP-hardcore: regular PvP matches but only player(s) vs player(s), no companions allowed, weapons make more damage, armor is weakened, with weapon, talent, and power restrictions.
6- Objectives mode: all or some of the previous modes rotate and become the victory conditions in this mode, each comes with a timer, once one mode ends, another follows it.

That's about only SOME of the tons and tons of modes that can become part of Pirate101's
player-versus-player system.