Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Bear Crew - How many of these guys are there?

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The picture in the announcement of the new Grizzly Beast Booster pack shows five bears. But apparently there are at least six.

I have two:

Khord (witchdoctor)

Athor (buccaneer)

Fiorenza has four:

Larn (privateer)

Yor (swashbuckler)

Baar (buccaneer)

Ghor (muskateer)

So, are there six? More than six? The two buccaneers are not the same bear with different names - they have different appearances and abilities as well. Four of the above summon a pet - Athor and Ghor do not.

-Indigo

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Indigo Ring on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:
The picture in the announcement of the new Grizzly Beast Booster pack shows five bears. But apparently there are at least six.

I have two:

Khord (witchdoctor)

Athor (buccaneer)

Fiorenza has four:

Larn (privateer)

Yor (swashbuckler)

Baar (buccaneer)

Ghor (muskateer)

So, are there six? More than six? The two buccaneers are not the same bear with different names - they have different appearances and abilities as well. Four of the above summon a pet - Athor and Ghor do not.

-Indigo
Oooh, very interesting! I had assumed that there were only 5, just like with the Tribal pack. I have Ghor and Baar on my Buccaneer and have seen all the others except for this Athor character. It seems most believe there were only 5 as well. There are threads on Central, stating they have all Grizzly companions, yet only show & list 5 of them.....all except for Athor. So perhaps Athor is a Super, Mega, Epic, Ultra Rare companion from the pack.

Now I am extremely intrigued by this news.....thanks for sharing Indigo!

Developer
There are six-- Baar, the Beastmaster; and his 5 Apprentice Beastmasters (one from each class).

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
So exciting news Indigo, I just spent a few Crowns on some packs and low and behold who did Valkoor get added to his trusty crew........Atohr the Grizzly bear Buccaneer companion.......and Laarn the Privateer as well-- all within about 10-15 packs of each other.

So now I have 4 out of the 6 bears that have been discovered from the packs, including both Buccaneer bears. It appears as if Baar is the 'Ultra Epic' bear to be had from the pack. Maybe not so much as in terms of what players desire, but based on the fact that he gets 3 promotions and all of the other bears only get 2.

Not only that, he starts with an extra Epic as well. In addition he is the only bear from the pack that has a distinctly unique appearance, complete with his fancy hair, Nordic helmet and Pouch O' Weasels. He also has access to 3 powers (the Weasel War Dance or what have you), while the other Buccaneer bear, Atohr, does not have any powers-- only Epics/Talents. Baar also has the ability to summon a Hawk and a Panther and starts off with Relentless x 2 and gains Turn the Tide x 3 by default through promoting, while Atohr only gains Turn the Tide x 2.

I guess, maybe there are the 5 class bears that all look similar in appearance and then the 'extra' more Epically Rare, Baar the Buccaneer. Or perhaps......could there be 5 class similar bears and then 5 'ULTRA EPICALLY RARE' class bears as well? Haven't seen any distinct looking bears besides Baar so far, but who knows.

*** EDIT- Thanks for the info Ratbeard, that makes perfect sense-- if only I had taken the time to read and pay attention to their titles.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Thanks for the info, Ratbeard. Anneke is feeling particularly smug at having found The Beastmaster since she is fairly low-level. I absolutely adore the weasel war dance and earnestly hope that everyone finds him. Just the weasels are delightful, but the ability to summon either Shrawk or Ruhr into the fight is so helpful. He is so going to be her first mate all through Cool Ranch.

I do wish that we could see the weasels a bit better when they attack, but I get what a pain coding the attacks must have been anyway.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for the reply, Ratbeard, and congratulations Valkoor!

I look forward to seeing Baar's weasel war dance someday...

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Forgot to add: I was wrong about Athor not summoning a pet. He does.

-Indigo

Ensign
Dec 20, 2009
I've noticed they can get killed off really fast. I have two & they die too easily.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have not noticed that mine are overly-prone to forced nap time.

-Michael

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Indigo Ring on Nov 24, 2014 wrote:
I have not noticed that mine are overly-prone to forced nap time.

-Michael
Mine either Indigo and/or Michael, I have all 6 bears and I have only lost one in battle thus far and that was in the new Smuggler's Arena. They have all been in countless battles on Live and they have all avoided temporary hibernation......so far! They all bring something great to the table and if you use 3 of them in battle, with their summoned pets, your pet and a well time and placed Beast Standard, it makes for quite a romp on the battle board.

By the way, that's the first time I have not seen the -Indigo sig, I suppose maybe the winds of change charted you a new course....perhaps?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
On the non-KI boards I post on (miniature gaming and painting boards), I always sign with my first name, Michael. For some reason I started using Indigo here (after one of my favorite NPCs in our D&D campaign, a Robin-Hoodish bandit); I simply signed the wrong Sig here that time. Now my secret is out: my real name is Michael!

All six bears? Well done. I have five I think, scattered about (the musketeer x 2, the buccaneer x 2, and one witchdoctor). So does the standard work with their summoned pets. With the beastmasters themselves? Our pets? Animal companions like the crocs? I haven't experimented with it at all yet (although I have played around with Baron Samedi's standard).

-Indigo

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Indigo Ring on Nov 27, 2014 wrote:
On the non-KI boards I post on (miniature gaming and painting boards), I always sign with my first name, Michael. For some reason I started using Indigo here (after one of my favorite NPCs in our D&D campaign, a Robin-Hoodish bandit); I simply signed the wrong Sig here that time. Now my secret is out: my real name is Michael!

All six bears? Well done. I have five I think, scattered about (the musketeer x 2, the buccaneer x 2, and one witchdoctor). So does the standard work with their summoned pets. With the beastmasters themselves? Our pets? Animal companions like the crocs? I haven't experimented with it at all yet (although I have played around with Baron Samedi's standard).

-Indigo
Ahh, so the Michael is out of the bag-- I was kind of hoping that it was because you had just got done watching a Knight Rider marathon and absentmindedly couldn't get the 'talking car' out of your head, that Kit can be pretty persuasive! So, Michael it is, Indigo, or Indigo it is then, Michael.....either way pretty cool about the whole D&D involvement in the Indigo part.

And thank you and congrats to you on your 5 bears as well. With my limited playing time, I knew that I may be relegated to focusing on 1 pirate pretty much my entire Spiral existence, so I chose to try to collect them all on my Buccaneer-- although it would be EPIC if at one point in the future we could trade 'rewarded and/or purchased companions' amongst our pirates.

As far as the standard goes, yes it does indeed work with the bears' summoned pets, our pirates' pets and pets summoned from the Grizzly Pack doubloons or I suppose any doubloons that may summon pets/beasts. I haven't confirmed it with all of the pets, but it has worked so far on any that I have used. However, it does not work with the Grizzly companions, themselves or any bipedal, walking, talking, armor wearing, weapon yielding types of companions. I believe it only works with the beastlike companions such as the Crokagator, Scorpius, Batacuda, Nikeeta, Madclaw, Sky Snake and El Tiburon.

In order for your pets, beast companions and beast/pet summons to receive the standard's bonuses, they must be out and/or summoned onto the battle board before you place the Standard. Any pets/doubloon summon beasts that join after the standard is placed, won't be affected by it or gain it's bonuses.

Hope this helps!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Yes it does help, Valkoor, thanks.

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
i have... 0 lol
for the aztecasaur pack, i got Kawil Doomclaw, it took me 1 random pack.
i only bought 1 bear claw pack.
I'm doing trivia for another.