Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why did you choose your Message Board Avatar?

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Besides the obvious reasons of, "because it's my pirate's class" or "it looked neat", I thought I would inquire as to if there were any not-so-obvious reasons why we chose our current Message Board avatars.

I chose mine because it obviously resembled both a gear and possibly a rose. Now I know that the gear will most times and most likely be associated with the Armada and the fantastical inner workings of their machines and unrelenting mechanized forces. However, the gear for me symbolizes the undying determination that we pirates display in our quest to stifle, derail, hijack and flat out destroy the Armada's plans. Our gears our always moving, propelling us perpetually forward as we seek retribution against the actual mechanical gears of the Armada. We are the machines that seek to put them out of commission and render them useless and otherwise left in a heap of scrap metal.

Now for the possible rose emblem. There are several reasons why I view the rose as a symbolic reference that seems appropriate and fitting of our pirates.

1] We are thorns in the side of the Armada (I know a pun, but a true one at that)
2] We pirates are deceptive in nature and appearance, and although pleasant to the eye-- just may prick any that choose to handle us too forcefully
3] The rose blooms to unveil it's true beauty as we pirates of tender ages slowly blossom, becoming the complete pirate -- of both beauty and power
4] El Toro loves roses and we love El Toro

Also, for me, another take on the golden rose emblem surrounded by a gear is that it can depict us pirates, the rose amidst the gold (El Dorado) that we seek, surrounded by the Armada, the gear of course.

And my final reason for choosing my current avatar, and it's a deep one -- I just liked the way it looked.

So are there any particular reasons any of you had for choosing your avatar?

Admiral
May 30, 2010
With a name like Fiorenza Rosinante di Castagliano did I really have a choice?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Well, as you can see, I have not chosen one. On the handful of message boards besides here where I hang out (mostly boards dealing with miniatures and miniature gaming) I use an orangutang for my icon. I would have been extremely surprised had there been an orangutang on offer here, as there are none in the game (yet), and I understand why KingsIsle would not allow players to upload their own (which is what I do normally with the orangutangs). But to fit one of their main purposes - helping a poster "stand out" so people can skim a thread and spot their posts - the limited number of icons/avatars currently available isn't going to be very helpful.

Still, I am glad to see this feature added to the boards, and I hope it will subsequently be expanded so that we can use our flags as avatars. They have created a nice system for creating a huge number of flags (which they are expanding with the next update), and it seems a logical step to let us chose one of our flags as an avatar or create one using their engine specifically for our avatar.

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Well I wanted something that was kinda girly with a look of someone that would generate giggles and have the potential of blessing someone. Now granted, a skull is not conducive to such ideal projections but the great curly hair and lovely eyelashes and earrings that matched the hat so "Cutely" just did it for me. If we ever get to choose our flags I will reconsider but I thought this one was darling enough to generate a grin yet nefarious enough to keep that piratey mystique going.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Oh, that's a good question, Valkoor -- and look, I chose the same emblem as you! For rather similar reasons, too.

First, I just like roses. In real life I am very interested in historic roses (and apples -same biological family), and this emblem has the ancient rose look of a semi-double bloom, like what you see with some damask roses. Roses also have a lot of mystical symbolism, and the emblem is not unlike the foundation of the Lutheran rose (which also resembles the Tudor rose) and that suits me very much.

Then around the rose is the clockwork, which I can see in two different ways. One is while our heart is set on the right course (the rose), our heart must rely on our thinking and analyzing mind (the clockwork) to succeed. The other way to look at it is though powerful, remorseless enemies of the Armada surround us, our blossoming heart will yet prevail.

Finally, the symbol of Valencia -- center of art, music, science, and all sorts of creative endeavor! Oh, I have to love it!

Petty Officer
May 21, 2008
Good day to ye, Valkoor! Thanks for sharing your mind with us. I will also tell you a little story of my, why I had chosen Valencian symbol as well.

For long time and now even more, gear was my symbol and still is. I had also other symbols, but gear was my favorite and it’s special in some way. It is simple yet very rich. To me gear symbolizes time, knowledge and power...

As long as it circles the time flows. It bears the knowledge of the thousand clocks. It’s yet very simple and sophisticated. The columns that will push you beyond the limit edges...

Also I am Swashbuckler - rose is our symbol of elegance and deadliness. Be gentle with rose and it shall embrace you with fragrance. Try to trick her, for her thorns will bite you!

Ah I could speak and speak, but it’s always great to see what many other people would say - express yourself (whatever you do, hehe)!

Samuel

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
I've always liked eagles and myths, so Aquila is awesome!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Well, Valkoor, I fear I'm going to disappoint you. There is no deeper meaning to my choice other than it looks cute & for a swashy that's enough.
If we were to ever be allowed to have our flags ( or at least the main symbol ) I would choose the mermaid. Mermaids symbolize the sea and my longing to be part of that.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Indigo Ring on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
Well, as you can see, I have not chosen one. On the handful of message boards besides here where I hang out (mostly boards dealing with miniatures and miniature gaming) I use an orangutang for my icon. I would have been extremely surprised had there been an orangutang on offer here, as there are none in the game (yet), and I understand why KingsIsle would not allow players to upload their own (which is what I do normally with the orangutangs). But to fit one of their main purposes - helping a poster "stand out" so people can skim a thread and spot their posts - the limited number of icons/avatars currently available isn't going to be very helpful.

Still, I am glad to see this feature added to the boards, and I hope it will subsequently be expanded so that we can use our flags as avatars. They have created a nice system for creating a huge number of flags (which they are expanding with the next update), and it seems a logical step to let us chose one of our flags as an avatar or create one using their engine specifically for our avatar.

-Indigo
I agree Indigo--, it would be nice to one day be able to have the options/choices expanded to include flags, possible companion avatars and to even upload images, and perhaps it will come to happen. But I am still happy with the right now and looking forward to the possibly "one day".

Just a question for you though....with your love, admiration, fascination and/or enjoyment of the mighty and glorious orangutan, do you happen to enjoy the Any Which Way but Loose/Any Which Way You Can movies with good ole Clyde and Clint?

Petty Officer
Aug 11, 2013
I choose mine namely because I love Cool Ranch. Cool Ranch was a long, arduous journey for our pirates. I like to think of my avatar as a badge of achievement for completing the longest world in the spiral. Also, the colors really appeal to me and I like the sunrise/horseshoe combination.

~Gibbsie

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
I serve kane the true master which is why i chose the cog

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
i chose mine because i like the power of the swashbucklers

Ensign
Jul 10, 2009
Indigo Ring on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:

-Indigo
That's actually the reason I choose the MooShu one. I haven't seen anyone else with that, so I thought it was unique. Also, MooShu was one of my favorite worlds in Wizard.

Ivette Xavier, Oracle

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
Oy geez LOL why did you ask such a complicated question?

Wait a minute. You didn't ASK a complicated question, I'm just going to give my usual complicated and twisted answer :D

As usual I am an indecisive person. I know, I know and that's probably why I have 21 pirates I'm playing at the moment. I just can't decide which I like best (nor do I really want to choose!). Same thing with the avatars-I am too wishy-washy.

I could have picked any of the class symbols...but WHICH one since I obviously play all of them?

I DID like the looks of the skull-pirate-gender-class avatars but again which would I choose? I play both boy and girl pirates of all classes *sigh*

I also like the badge one but it's just so non-specific and atm I have several pirates who are missing at least one Book sidequest badge or haven't earned their "defeat this # of so and so".

The world ones are great! Again too many choices -

I absolutely adore Greek Mythology,
My favorite world to play in is Marleybone (plus I'm a HUGE dog lover),
Mooshu was such a serene and beautiful world,
Cool Ranch has the best storyline and diverse skyways,
Monquista was just too cute with all those little monkeys,
Valencia was awesome for what we saw of it and I can't wait to see even more, AND
Skull Island is just fun filled with quests and creatures you encounter no matter what stage of the game you are playing!

Sooo...I chose the pirate banner. It just seems more "universal" for someone such as myself.

~SM~

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Well, I am the Dark Side, I am death, so a skull and crossbones matches my personality. Don't mess with me!

Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
The messageboards was the first part of the community to ever see one of my favorite characters to write - Warwick Orleans - and he's from Marleybone. I also adore every part of Marleybone and I find myself frolicking in the streets and its Skyway when I have nothing else to do. Not much of a sentimental, interesting reason, but it's true.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
My pirate was raised and trained Mooshu, and while it's not really a place he wants to go back to or really talk about, (for various personal reasons) he is proud of his origins, and always will be. That and I'm learning Japanese in school.

F.R. Holystone
lv 65

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Why did I choose the Marleybone symbol as my avatar?

Simply because I love Marleybone, it's my favourite world in the spiral. I loved the city scape and roof tops of Marleybone City in Wizards, and I love the more open night feel of Westminster Skyway.

Plus, hey I consider myself a monarchist, (as in I support the monarchy because of its historical and social importance to my country) and I am a loyal subject of The Crown (and I still owe money to The Queen that she technically lent me for school) so of course I had to go with Marleybone's crown symbol.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks everyone for all of the feedback....absolutely some amazing, clever, funny and darn near brilliant replies out there. And I also love the "no real reason, just liked the way it looked". Wow- what a diverse, intelligent and delightful group of message boarders.

Thanks for all the replies!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ChrisTheSwashy on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
Mine has a mustache.
Excellent reason there Chris! Ooh, just got an idea. With your new avatar, perhaps you can request a username change as well.

How 'bout...........ChrisTheStachey!

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
i like to change mine, but i chose my current one because it has a banana.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I've chose the swashbuckler symbol because I respect & love what it stands for grace, passion, elegance, beauty, style, and adventure their skills with the blade is unlike any other, with speed & agility they almost seem untouchable, without the use of heavy armor, massive strength, or huge weapons their able to fight footloose & everfree like walking on clouds, the insignia of a dagger & rose and what they represent is why I chose it as my avatar.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I've always loved cool ranch, and my swashbuckler really resembles it.

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
I chose my Avatar because it resembles a Swashbuckler. I thought the blades that were in the picture fitted the class that I usually play as. It also has a fabulous hat which I like. Thanks for the great question Valkoor!