Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

privy are on bottom of food chain LITERALLY!

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2012
before the update privy were the predators of pvp they tore people apart with their buffs and they're ability giving gear makes them even more dangerous. after the update people are like privy huh? eh i can beat this guy. seriously though privy isn't a challenge THEIR TARGET PRATICE. to me any ways the only way i still hang in the pvp cause it's fun. but for real privyies just aren't on top of the food chain now. more like dangling off of it. don't believe me? here is some proof

• short corps
  • short zeal
  • 100-450 on all of the healing birds (not total)
  • no based attacks so if a buckler meets a privy face to face he can't beat it
  • don't use will no more on heals have to use spooky power or something like that
  • 120-370 damage on the bombs
  • and last but not least it's companions don't have much powers as the other classes com[anion powers

i'm sorry if i only focused on the negative of the privy they still have a winning chance but that percentage dropped when the update came. and many of you think that the heals are pretty good but not good enough to last an full scale attack like if you have 1 health left but then you used revive that did 356 now you have 357 but a musket use it's gun powers to finish you off FOR GOOD unless you have another healer in your crew or team but that's besides the point. the point is that privy isn't threat.

but there is one thing that can change that. ability giving gear like vicious or assassin or another fortress and revive you can increase your chances to win.

eric vane

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
i see what you are complaining about . . . but i disagree.
the problem for privateers now is that they are so used to using their buffs that with the length shortened they actually have to use Mattheestrategy. i have a maxed privy, so i know what i am talking about. you get the same companions as everyone else, and the companions have the same exact potential. in fact, as of right now, privateers get more companions than everyone else! (with exceptions for crown companions, obviously)
the fact remains, if you time it right your buff powers still work great, and the shields are wonderful. it is true, i think the bomb power needs to have a little damage upgrade, or fire should always result, but that is just my opinion.
the will-boosting abilities and then the attack and defense will-crossovers are still phenomenal when used right, in my opinion you just need time to come up with strategies that are not "buff and charge."

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
you know everyone wanted ki to nerf your class, they did. but I think they went a little to far. they did make some of your best ones shorter and some decent ones longer but the heals went to far. sometimes when im in a tough fight I call a privy friend to come help me and heal me and my companions. some fights I would have lost and had to start over and maybe I would still be in marlybone (that's when I started to get privy friends to help) you know whenever I go help a friend in Aquila ( I tend to be reluctant but I do....most of the time) I sometimes get another friend to help, hopefully a privy and have them heal us. really the only thing I think needs changed is the heals, I don't know where I would be without them.

-jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

Ensign
Jun 16, 2013
Blixet on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:
i see what you are complaining about . . . but i disagree.
the problem for privateers now is that they are so used to using their buffs that with the length shortened they actually have to use Mattheestrategy. i have a maxed privy, so i know what i am talking about. you get the same companions as everyone else, and the companions have the same exact potential. in fact, as of right now, privateers get more companions than everyone else! (with exceptions for crown companions, obviously)
the fact remains, if you time it right your buff powers still work great, and the shields are wonderful. it is true, i think the bomb power needs to have a little damage upgrade, or fire should always result, but that is just my opinion.
the will-boosting abilities and then the attack and defense will-crossovers are still phenomenal when used right, in my opinion you just need time to come up with strategies that are not "buff and charge."
While I get where you're both coming from and I understand that the strategies for Privateers have changed significantly if you wish to win as one, I would like to also point out that the same can be said for just about every other class.

That being said, I also run a max Privateer. It's been my main character since I started playing a year ago (to the day, in fact ). I have just about all the best gear for him and have spent the better part of the first 2 weeks following the update coming up with new ways to play that'll give me a chance in PvP. Though I've managed to make up the difference in our lack of buff strength. What I mean by that is the lengths of the buffs. What I mean by that is that no single buff is enough to win PvP. The Privateer strength in the past was our ability to stack buffs. But now, they simply don't last long enough.

In the past, the most effective way to use a Privateer was to wait for the opponent to advance on you and use (this is an example) Espirit De Corps as soon as they move toward you and once you know they're coming, follow it up with Battle Zeal once they get close. This doesn't work anymore simply because the buffs don't last long enough to. To try anything similar means you have to wait until the opponent is already on you, then throw up the buff. This leaves you completely open for the first turn or two that you're buffing. For anyone who knows how to play, that's more then enough time to kill the player leaving only the companions.

I've tried making up for this by training up in debuffs. My Privateer now has 2 Viscious Charges, 1 Super Charge and 1 Brutal Charge. I also use Sprocket Key's Purge Magic against chargers. This new build has helped me out a lot. But it still only does so much.

A privateers greatest weakness has always been it's lack of Epics. Our inability to fight back naturally against anyone who tries to strike us. This is even more apparent now. A single Buccaneer will hit me 2 or 3 times when he comes in for an attack as opposed to the 1 hit I get in...which only aggregates another attack from him. We are, essentially, incapable of holding our own in a fight because of this one downfall.

I hope after reading this, you have an idea that I know what I'm doing in PvP. That said, I would like to finish this with one simple fact. On two different occasions since the update (by two different people), I have been beaten by a level 62 Buccaneer. Now before any of you say "Apparently, you don't know what you're doing," I would like to point out that, like you, I never would have dreamed of losing those matches myself. Yet I did. On both occasions, I died in the first 10 turns and it came down to the Buccaneer VS My Last Remaining Companion. Food for thought.

Silly Sebastian (,,)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
the awesome smuggl... on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:
before the update privy were the predators of pvp they tore people apart with their buffs and they're ability giving gear makes them even more dangerous. after the update people are like privy huh? eh i can beat this guy. seriously though privy isn't a challenge THEIR TARGET PRATICE. to me any ways the only way i still hang in the pvp cause it's fun. but for real privyies just aren't on top of the food chain now. more like dangling off of it. don't believe me? here is some proof

• short corps
  • short zeal
  • don't use will no more on heals have to use spooky power or something like that
  • and last but not least it's companions don't have much powers as the other classes com[anion powers

i'm sorry if i only focused on the negative of the privy they still have a winning chance but that percentage dropped when the update came. and many of you think that the heals are pretty good but not good enough to last an full scale attack like if you have 1 health left but then you used revive that did 356 now you have 357 but a musket use it's gun powers to finish you off FOR GOOD unless you have another healer in your crew or team but that's besides the point. the point is that privy isn't threat.

but there is one thing that can change that. ability giving gear like vicious or assassin or another fortress and revive you can increase your chances to win.

eric vane
Will still has an effect on heals and bombs.

Corps and Zeal were nerfed down because it was not intended to ever make them last long. Most of the classes received nerfs and boosts to their buffs, except for the Swashbuckler which, from what I've seen, has only gotten boosts to a couple of their buffs.

From what I've seen, the heals weren't really affected. Neither were the bombs, but nobody complained about that before really.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
the awesome smuggl... on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:

• short corps
  • short zeal

eric vane
Well, first of all, Privateers were only dominant in pvp when there was a team that had more than one of them on it. My Swashbuckler used to eat Privateers for lunch in 1v1. In 4v4, however, a team of all Privateers was unstoppable. They have suffered a drop off, but not really THAT much of a drop off. You just need to time your buffs better. Besides...turn about is fair play. Now you know how all those Buccaneers used to feel. :D

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Silly Sebastian on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
While I get where you're both coming from and I understand that the strategies for Privateers have changed significantly if you wish to win as one, I would like to also point out that the same can be said for just about every other class.

That being said, I also run a max Privateer. It's been my main character since I started playing a year ago (to the day, in fact ). I have just about all the best gear for him and have spent the better part of the first 2 weeks following the update coming up with new ways to play that'll give me a chance in PvP. Though I've managed to make up the difference in our lack of buff strength. What I mean by that is the lengths of the buffs. What I mean by that is that no single buff is enough to win PvP. The Privateer strength in the past was our ability to stack buffs. But now, they simply don't last long enough.

In the past, the most effective way to use a Privateer was to wait for the opponent to advance on you and use (this is an example) Espirit De Corps as soon as they move toward you and once you know they're coming, follow it up with Battle Zeal once they get close. This doesn't work anymore simply because the buffs don't last long enough to. To try anything similar means you have to wait until the opponent is already on you, then throw up the buff. This leaves you completely open for the first turn or two that you're buffing. For anyone who knows how to play, that's more then enough time to kill the player leaving only the companions.

I've tried making up for this by training up in debuffs. My Privateer now has 2 Viscious Charges, 1 Super Charge and 1 Brutal Charge. I also use Sprocket Key's Purge Magic against chargers. This new build has helped me out a lot. But it still only does so much.

A privateers greatest weakness has always been it's lack of Epics. Our inability to fight back naturally against anyone who tries to strike us. This is even more apparent now. A single Buccaneer will hit me 2 or 3 times when he comes in for an attack as opposed to the 1 hit I get in...which only aggregates another attack from him. We are, essentially, incapable of holding our own in a fight because of this one downfall.

I hope after reading this, you have an idea that I know what I'm doing in PvP. That said, I would like to finish this with one simple fact. On two different occasions since the update (by two different people), I have been beaten by a level 62 Buccaneer. Now before any of you say "Apparently, you don't know what you're doing," I would like to point out that, like you, I never would have dreamed of losing those matches myself. Yet I did. On both occasions, I died in the first 10 turns and it came down to the Buccaneer VS My Last Remaining Companion. Food for thought.

Silly Sebastian (,,)
i do see what you are saying, and i will take your word for it. my main is a swash, so i am not especially experienced in pvp with my priv. what i guess i would suggest is throw up the 50% sheild around your priv early on and a spirit shield on whoever you deem needs it most. with those, although they may take up your first 2 turns, you can have el toro use espirit, and then be more or less prepared to focus on the opposing player or a particularly worrisome enemy companion. (nausica for example) This is not foolproof, but it worked for me. with your shields and toro's buffs, and if you let them attack first, you should have plenty of time to get a critical buff or two, then heal yourself and join your companions to attack.

i have not tried this myself, i am just trying to come up with some viable strategy for the new nerfed privateer.

Matthew Walker 65
Sly Sloan Silver 65
Matthew Walker 46

Ensign
Jun 16, 2013
Blixet on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
i do see what you are saying, and i will take your word for it. my main is a swash, so i am not especially experienced in pvp with my priv. what i guess i would suggest is throw up the 50% sheild around your priv early on and a spirit shield on whoever you deem needs it most. with those, although they may take up your first 2 turns, you can have el toro use espirit, and then be more or less prepared to focus on the opposing player or a particularly worrisome enemy companion. (nausica for example) This is not foolproof, but it worked for me. with your shields and toro's buffs, and if you let them attack first, you should have plenty of time to get a critical buff or two, then heal yourself and join your companions to attack.

i have not tried this myself, i am just trying to come up with some viable strategy for the new nerfed privateer.

Matthew Walker 65
Sly Sloan Silver 65
Matthew Walker 46
I like that you're trying to help, I really do. but that idea is no good. One of two things will happen. Either the buck will wait it out and than charge or he'll continue stacking his own buffs and charge by about turn 3 (which means a couple of turns have already warn out on my forts) and focus entirely on my companions that have no protection. And 3 companions and a buck (all with a couple of strength buffs) charging one or two companions will mow those companions over.

The best strategy I've found thus far (though I've only had a couple chances to give it a proper test in 1v1) is to put a companion with Hold the Line 2 or 3 two squares in front of me and have two other companions with healing (I've been using Wu Tang and Keisuke Yagi) alongside me. I give the hold the Line companion a fort and then wait. When the buck charges, that companion holds him and his companions.

With the buck and his companions now held 3 squares in front of me, I use Purge Magic thus removing all of his buffs. Now, depending on how much damage my Hold companion took, I'll either focus all 3 of my companions on attacking the buck directly to throw him into a panic (as none of the companions used in a charging strategy have any heals and most bucks don't pack many themselves). Or, I try to take out one of this companions, as all of my companions have forced Super Hits and a chance at relentless. From here, I then make moves depending on his reaction.

At least, that's the theory behind my current strategy. As I said, I haven't had many chances to test it since I came up with it. The one good matchup I've had thus far, the buck didn't use the charging strategy and just barely won it (I ran myself out of attack powers on my character, thus bringing up my point about a privateer's greatest weakness. Our lack of Epics and thus our inability to fight back in basic combat).

So, something for everyone to take into consideration, maybe for other Privateers to try out and (hopefully) improve upon. I'm gonna continue pecking at it, but I think I'll mostly stick to my Musket and Swashbuckler in pvp for the time being.

Silly Sebastian (,,)

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Silly Sebastian on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
I like that you're trying to help, I really do. but that idea is no good. One of two things will happen. Either the buck will wait it out and than charge or he'll continue stacking his own buffs and charge by about turn 3 (which means a couple of turns have already warn out on my forts) and focus entirely on my companions that have no protection. And 3 companions and a buck (all with a couple of strength buffs) charging one or two companions will mow those companions over.

The best strategy I've found thus far (though I've only had a couple chances to give it a proper test in 1v1) is to put a companion with Hold the Line 2 or 3 two squares in front of me and have two other companions with healing (I've been using Wu Tang and Keisuke Yagi) alongside me. I give the hold the Line companion a fort and then wait. When the buck charges, that companion holds him and his companions.

With the buck and his companions now held 3 squares in front of me, I use Purge Magic thus removing all of his buffs. Now, depending on how much damage my Hold companion took, I'll either focus all 3 of my companions on attacking the buck directly to throw him into a panic (as none of the companions used in a charging strategy have any heals and most bucks don't pack many themselves). Or, I try to take out one of this companions, as all of my companions have forced Super Hits and a chance at relentless. From here, I then make moves depending on his reaction.

At least, that's the theory behind my current strategy. As I said, I haven't had many chances to test it since I came up with it. The one good matchup I've had thus far, the buck didn't use the charging strategy and just barely won it (I ran myself out of attack powers on my character, thus bringing up my point about a privateer's greatest weakness. Our lack of Epics and thus our inability to fight back in basic combat).

So, something for everyone to take into consideration, maybe for other Privateers to try out and (hopefully) improve upon. I'm gonna continue pecking at it, but I think I'll mostly stick to my Musket and Swashbuckler in pvp for the time being.

Silly Sebastian (,,)
I actually just outshield the buck with my privy, since I learned all the shields that a privy can learn and when stacking those 10 round shields a buck can barely do anything against you while their levy runs out, after that I use the attacks I saved for the buck such as assassin and sneak attack on the unshielded buck, Ive only been in one match with a good enough buck to actually force me to use all my little shields (sly Malcolm voss)

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013
Privy need some more attack powers. Theres gunnery but that does not do much. The healing is now reduced to make them less OP. Like seriously? Idlest add some attack powers for a privateer. And i agree, i feel bad for the privateers in the sparring matches, they are target practice. Everyone ignores them till' the end. Privys are danglign off the Pirate food chain.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Daring Destiny Dov... on Aug 4, 2014 wrote:
Privy need some more attack powers. Theres gunnery but that does not do much. The healing is now reduced to make them less OP. Like seriously? Idlest add some attack powers for a privateer. And i agree, i feel bad for the privateers in the sparring matches, they are target practice. Everyone ignores them till' the end. Privys are danglign off the Pirate food chain.
Not really. Privy is still a great class in the meta game for pvp, well, central pvp at least.
On my privy you just have to use the shorter buffs first, then the medium 5 round buffs, then the 3 round ones and start attacking, eg.
Valor's Armor, it's infinite.
Call to arms, Discipline and Valor's Shield, and maybe Calm the troops.
Valor's Fortress, Enduring Discipline and Espirit De Corps.
Battle Zeal:
From here, you will have battle zeal for 2 turns, a fortress for 3 turns, espirit for 4 turns, +15% critical chance for 4 turns (+5% for 2 turns after), Valor's Shield for 6 turns, call to arms for 5 turns (Which means you've got +100% accuracy and +75% dodge for 2 turns, then +50% accuracy and +25% dodge for 2 more turns, and +25% accuracy for one turn after it's all gone), and to top it off a valor's armor for infinite turns.

To top it off, there are assassin's strikes from gear you can commonly get from doctor Noh and Friar sand, as well as the 5 guardians, as well as leviathan's call and possibly extra valor's fortress' and valor's armor. Privy is extremely viable in pvp.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
DeathWiz101378 on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Not really. Privy is still a great class in the meta game for pvp, well, central pvp at least.
On my privy you just have to use the shorter buffs first, then the medium 5 round buffs, then the 3 round ones and start attacking, eg.
Valor's Armor, it's infinite.
Call to arms, Discipline and Valor's Shield, and maybe Calm the troops.
Valor's Fortress, Enduring Discipline and Espirit De Corps.
Battle Zeal:
From here, you will have battle zeal for 2 turns, a fortress for 3 turns, espirit for 4 turns, +15% critical chance for 4 turns (+5% for 2 turns after), Valor's Shield for 6 turns, call to arms for 5 turns (Which means you've got +100% accuracy and +75% dodge for 2 turns, then +50% accuracy and +25% dodge for 2 more turns, and +25% accuracy for one turn after it's all gone), and to top it off a valor's armor for infinite turns.

To top it off, there are assassin's strikes from gear you can commonly get from doctor Noh and Friar sand, as well as the 5 guardians, as well as leviathan's call and possibly extra valor's fortress' and valor's armor. Privy is extremely viable in pvp.
id also argue privy heals were increased, I regularly do 593 heals on rouse/revive/ and the owl one/ I also do 393 while decreased by the mojo decrease spell, also seeing as I am number 5 on the summer ladder using only a privy and being here less then a week, I think its safe to say privy isn't the worst class

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Of course, they are called "privy" which is another word for toilet. Just...keep that in mind.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 18, 2014 wrote:
Of course, they are called "privy" which is another word for toilet. Just...keep that in mind.
Coinedence? I think not

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
zuto4011a on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
Coinedence? I think not
Exactly.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ok, I understand that you're disappointed that your favorite powers were reduced in duration. But the effects weren't touched! You can still do everything you did before, now you have to time it better!
Zuto and Alphawolf, be nice. Wait until KI begins balancing for ranked pvp, before you sneer at others.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Many people are replying on this subject and I did not care to read if anyone agreed or disagreed with the OP. The post made generalizations and over dramatized everything, no real proof or facts. Not sure what gear this Privy is using, but I know for a fact that I do way more in heals, have way more defense, have just as good of companions as any other class.

So, to the OP, if you want to be taken seriously, come with facts and actual numbers, real proof, state the gear you are using and what you have trained your Privy in, etc, because it sounds like you don't know how to setup your privy to maximize the class. You are not using good use of strategy and your way to compensate is to complain on the message boards, hoping and praying that others sympathize with you and change your class so you can again, have wins handed to you on a silver platter rather than have to work at pvp and come up with a descent strategy.

Sorry, but I am disagree with the OP, Privateers are one of the toughest and best classes in the game!

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
anecorbie on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
Ok, I understand that you're disappointed that your favorite powers were reduced in duration. But the effects weren't touched! You can still do everything you did before, now you have to time it better!
Zuto and Alphawolf, be nice. Wait until KI begins balancing for ranked pvp, before you sneer at others.
I was stating a fact that I meant to make a joke out of at some point. No opportunity arose, so that's what I settled with.