Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Positively Pirate101-Great Game, Greater Influence

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
My 12 Days of the Spiral Blog Contest Entry.

Even though my soon-to-be 8 year old son & I are very close, we didn't always get as much quality time with each other as I desired. A lot of that changed when Pirate101 was introduced into our lives.

At his 7th birthday party, my son received a gift card to join the wonderful online worlds of P101. A few days later, after dogged nudging from him, I followed the instructions on the card, set up an account & voila....a new pirate captain was born. He could hardly wait to begin his pirating adventures. As for myself, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but was willing to give it a shot. After watching him create his pirate, play the tutorial & set off questing, I must confess that he was not the only one hooked. In fact, we continued to spend the next few hours creating new pirates (over & over again) & began to delve deep into the amazing worlds of the KingsIsle Spiral. It wasn't long before we were playing side by side- sharing laughs, precious time & even the same chair.

From those early moments grew a deeper bond between a father & son, that I would have sworn no video game could ever have influenced. We can now be found daily, sharing that same seat (and many more laughs) as we try to thwart the evil plans of the Armada. I recall a time when I was cleaning some dishes as my son charged into battle against the notorious General Tso. Upon reaching the final battle against this cunning adversary, he ran into a rough spot. This was evident because over the sounds of dishes clanging and water running, my ears were rattled by the desperate plea of, "DADDY, DADDY...HELP...I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE CHICKEN...HURRY!" Needless to say the dishes had to wait! With water still running, a wet soapy rag draped over my shoulder, & feet slipping all over the tile & hardwood floors, I charged with reckless frenzy to aid my little pirate buddy. Phew...disaster averted, we did indeed reach that chicken.

It's moments like this that showed me that Pirate101 has been more than just a game to my family. The creative & caring crew at KingsIsle has introduced so many of us to a truly amazing game that can be shared & enjoyed by families everywhere. Because of your creative compassion, you've helped me to see that no time is more precious than the time I spend with my loved ones. Some of the most touching moments I have had with my son this past year have been at the helms of our pirate ships. We will continue to sail the high skyways together, wherever our pirate adventures may lead.

I would like to take this moment to thank you KingsIsle, from the bottom of my heart, for helping bring a father & son that much closer. It has truly been a blessing to us & from my family to yours- I wish you all of the happiness in the world.

Happy Holidays!

From one Proud Pirate Dad,
Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen,

and his lifelong true First Mate,
Little Kai Easton

(to be explained further, ran out of characters)
LOL that was cool! i will be sure to keep an eye out for your "little pirate buddy" in the game lol

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Thank you very much Chrissy.

I just think that us players and members of the community should let the people at KI know that we are not simply only here to play a game. It shouldn't always be about us and what we want from them or out of the game, but instead to also show our praises and appreciation for how they listen to us and try their best to give us the best game and pirate experience possible.

With all of the recent updates and sneak peaks, they are further demonstrating that they do care about their community. Almost everything that has been shown to us in these recent sneak peeks, have been requests that we the players have made, somewhere down the line (if you look back through the game suggestions threads on the various sites- almost everything unveiled so far is there, as a request from us players).

I know that one of the biggest requests coming from the players has been new world content and many are unhappy that it hasn't arrived yet...but you can bet your boots it's on the way, that's a given. In the meantime they are offering so many new ways to enjoy the Spiral, based on our requests- it's not as if these new changes manifested out of thin air...most of them are our requests, and they listened. So, while we are waiting for the new world(s), why not enjoy and test out their generous offerings? I just think that we all should be a little more appreciative and let them know that we appreciate them appreciating us, and let them know what P101 has meant to us; as players, pirates, people, community members, friends and family.

And you are so right, when the twins come of age in the world of pirating- you can bet they will be there right beside their Daddy and big brother (what a crew), giving the Armada the what for. I just may have to get a bigger chair. If I have to, I'll put one on my shoulders, one on my back and one on my head- you can rest assured that my whole family will be sailing the skyways together. Oh, and you will be happy to know that My Lady Fair created her first pirate last night. SWEET VICTORY!!!

I would love to hear what P101 has meant to you Chrissy because I know that it has been a very positive influence on your life. And that goes for anyone else out there that would like to share their positive takes on what the game has meant to them as well.

Thanks again, Chrissy, for your kind words.
you got your wife to make a pirate!? dude, you are wizard! x raises sword x VICTORY! lol

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
....Chrissy, I'm really sorry that happened to you... I understand the pain....

Since I was in kindergarten, other children have bullied me and teased me, telling me they hate me and that I'd never have any friends. It wasn't even that bad back in there. But when my family moved, things only became much, much worse. I was a shy first grade student, with an extreme love for chapter books with no pictures. I was ahead of everyone I knew in reading. And of course... They made fun of me for it. I was younger than all of them except one person, and they hated that I was more intelligent. I never told anyone about it. I smiled and went on my way. But over the years that smile disappeared. In second grade, the girls would leave me out and ignore me and tell me I couldn't play with them because of something I did or hadn't done. They wouldn't talk to me or acknowledge my presence. They wouldn't look at me, even though I was there. In third grade, the word of bullying passed to my parents, and they wanted to stop it, but my teacher insisted that interfering would make it worse and they had to leave me on my own to deal with it. I felt unloved. I was lonely... But I made one friend, Esmee as I'll call her. She gave me a chance, and helped me and found happiness with me. But my happiness never returned... We were genuine friends, but she was the most popular girl in my class and EVERYONE wanted her friendship. They told her not to talk to me, and she didn't listen, but it hurt.
This worsened over the years. Bullying got worse, the teasing got worse, and whenever I accidentally angered any of the other girls besides Esmee they'd take it out on me in Physical Education, aiming head shots with basketballs and in dodgeball. It hurt physically, a lot. It reinforced my loneliness, and all of this continued on for a long while and didn't stop. One year, it got awful. I was suffering emotions I couldn't control, problems which my parents wouldn't let me help with, and two of our pets.... Died. One of the dogs was older than I was, and she had a disease which left her in constant pain, so we.... The other, the cat I named myself, died of a heart attack when I wasn't even home. It hurt. A lot. The bullying worsened and I forced myself into becoming depressed and a hikikomori (shut-in), leaving myself to wonder alone if it would ever get better. I hated it all, and nothing good ever seemed to happen for me. I became homeschooled and had thoughts of suicide several times- but Kingsisle's game, Wizard101, helped to take some of the pain away. I met four people there, one of them who had gone through similar situations, and she helped me a lot. She helped me not feel so bad, she helped me not be so angry or sad or see myself as worthless. If I hadn't resumed playing the game and eventually starting Pirate101.... I wouldn't be standing here right now, typing this.

Ciao.
Wow, Emma. What a powerful testimony of how all the ugliness in the world can be countered by such wonderful games that KingsIsle has created. All that meanness can be healed through the wonderful world of the Spiral and the kind people that play there. You have had the misfortune of seeing so much of the ugly side of human nature and I am thrilled to see that now you are seeing more of the kind side from those of us that play the games and those of us here that know you and care about how you feel. Just keep trying to shake off the effects of those meanies like water off Egg Shen's back.
I am so proud of you for having the courage to share the deep hurts of your heart with us and I am honored to be trusted with such memories. x Huge Chrissy Hug x

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
I have a great family and many friends, and they're wonderful, but they don't share my passions of literature, art and history. When I make a reference to something or tell them "Hey, did you know...?' I usually get a blank stare. Anyway I want to say that I'm glad I got so bored waiting for an update that I decided to check out the message boards and found people with similar interest and outlook and a wacky sense of humor. All of you, who I've recently met here, just want to say Thank You and KI, you have made a difference to me - and as I see from these posts, others.
Well I am SO glad you decided to come here for you have found your niche. We are a very mixed lot but a great deal of us adore books and have the wackiest senses of humor in the Spiral. Glad to have you aboard and I am so glad for that momentary period of boredom that drove you here for we sure got blessed by the result.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
krokotopia pirate on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
"It all started a few years ago when I was on wizard101.I was hoping for a new game that would bring us all around the spiral and there a few months later a new game comes out it was called pirate101.i was hooked on the new game.I had to get to beta.then I realized oh no they are out of beta keys.so I then saw a bundle a few months later bought it and I gained access to the game.they is not much to tell
But anyway It made me happy and I am happy that I did it thank you all for this wondeful experience
But there is not much to tell about it
-krokotopia pirate(romantic rebbeca ivring)
There doesn't have to be a lot of words if they are well said. You sure have shown that you are tenacious and when you see a goal you sure go for it. You have shown that you know the game well to and are one of the most helpful pirates I know. You are always offering to help other pirates and you always kick tush in every battle I have seen you in. This game has turned you into quite the blesser in your own right.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
I have a great family and many friends, and they're wonderful, but they don't share my passions of literature, art and history. When I make a reference to something or tell them "Hey, did you know...?' I usually get a blank stare. Anyway I want to say that I'm glad I got so bored waiting for an update that I decided to check out the message boards and found people with similar interest and outlook and a wacky sense of humor. All of you, who I've recently met here, just want to say Thank You and KI, you have made a difference to me - and as I see from these posts, others.
Thank you for sharing anecorbie/Esperanza.

We are very glad that you decided to join the message boards and share great insight and wonderful entertainment as well. You are so right, there are a lot of great people here on the boards and such a nice variety of interests and talents that are on display here. You've got great role playing, which I have not taken part in yet- but I love to read them and am so impressed by the skill of those that participate in them). Maybe I will give them a go sometime. And like you said, you've got a lot of wacky, crazy and down right hilarious threads and posts. Awesome places to post brilliant ideas and helpful tips. Kind and caring people willing to lend a hand. Something for all walks of life and interests. And the boards are an extension of the amazing game, so KI has treated us to 2 great places to enjoy.

Reading your post also brought to my attention another reason why I am grateful for the game and the boards. By coming here and by finding Easter Eggs and references to great and classic literature and history throughout the game, I have a renewed appreciation and rekindled interest in the fine arts and history. I lost some of that in the recent years and I am so glad to have that fire back- all because of a game...go figure. You will fit right in with the creative and intelligent people here.

Again we are glad to have you here. Thank you for your post and letting KI know that we care and appreciate them.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
GBalance101 on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
Please excuse me while I get a tissue. Its so bee-you-tiful. We interrupt this post with Ratbeard and Bonnie Anne fighting... Ok, I'm back. Applause to you, Valkoor. Do your kids call you Pirate Daddy?
Ratbeard and Bonnie...always trying to stir thing up. Thanks for the applause GBalance and no they don't call me Pirate Daddy, though...I may have heard a Papa Pirate before from my oldest son. The closest thing to Pirate Daddy I have heard from my 6 month old twins is Bah-di-blah-goo-p-p-p-p-p-dah-geeee. Actually, that is not true my little girl has been saying a couple words for a few weeks now and one of those is Da-Da. She also says "hi" and "hi Dad". The first time I heard it, my heart melted and she had me even further wrapped around her teeny-tiny finger. According to his mommy, my baby boy has said Da-Da in the past couple days, but I have not been fortunate enough to hear it yet. Although he will mimic me laughing which is soooo incredibly funny to watch. I can get him to do it anytime now, and he just does this semi-fake cracking-up type of laughing and then everyone can't stop laughing...which gets him going even more.

Dang, my eyes got a little moist as I was typing this...some kind of ruthless pirate I am, huh?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
krokotopia pirate on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
"It all started a few years ago when I was on wizard101.I was hoping for a new game that would bring us all around the spiral and there a few months later a new game comes out it was called pirate101.i was hooked on the new game.I had to get to beta.then I realized oh no they are out of beta keys.so I then saw a bundle a few months later bought it and I gained access to the game.they is not much to tell
But anyway It made me happy and I am happy that I did it thank you all for this wondeful experience
But there is not much to tell about it
-krokotopia pirate(romantic rebbeca ivring)
Well, Rebecca...we are very glad you kept things going after W101 and decided to join the P101 community as well. It was very nice of you to share with us the happiness that both games have brought you. It is amazing how a game (something some people will tell you will rot your brain) can be such a positive and bring so much joy- especially when the people behind the game and fellow players actually care.

I am also so happy, Rebecca, that you decided to hang around here with the people and community that do care about and appreciate you. After chatting with you in the game the other night, at your party, I thought we may not see you on the boards again. Needless to say, I and so many others are pleased that you decided to stay aboard. I am glad that you fought back against life when it tried to hold you back. That is a great trait to possess and you should be proud of all you have accomplished- here, in the game and in life.

Again, thank you for sharing with us what the game has meant to you and how it has helped you.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Since I was in kindergarten, other children have bullied me and teased me, telling me they hate me and that I'd never have any friends. It wasn't even that bad back in there. But when my family moved, things only became much, much worse. I was a shy first grade student, with an extreme love for chapter books with no pictures. I was ahead of everyone I knew in reading. And of course... They made fun of me for it. I was younger than all of them except one person, and they hated that I was more intelligent. I never told anyone about it. I smiled and went on my way. But over the years that smile disappeared. In second grade, the girls would leave me out and ignore me and tell me I couldn't play with them because of something I did or hadn't done. They wouldn't talk to me or acknowledge my presence. They wouldn't look at me, even though I was there. In third grade, the word of bullying passed to my parents, and they wanted to stop it, but my teacher insisted that interfering would make it worse and they had to leave me on my own to deal with it. I felt unloved. I was lonely... But I made one friend, Esmee as I'll call her. She gave me a chance, and helped me and found happiness with me. But my happiness never returned... We were genuine friends, but she was the most popular girl in my class and EVERYONE wanted her friendship. They told her not to talk to me, and she didn't listen, but it hurt.
This worsened over the years. Bullying got worse, the teasing got worse, and whenever I accidentally angered any of the other girls besides Esmee they'd take it out on me in Physical Education, aiming head shots with basketballs and in dodgeball. It hurt physically, a lot. It reinforced my loneliness, and all of this continued on for a long while and didn't stop. One year, it got awful. I was suffering emotions I couldn't control, problems which my parents wouldn't let me help with, and two of our pets.... Died. One of the dogs was older than I was, and she had a disease which left her in constant pain, so we.... The other, the cat I named myself, died of a heart attack when I wasn't even home. It hurt. A lot. The bullying worsened and I forced myself into becoming depressed and a hikikomori (shut-in), leaving myself to wonder alone if it would ever get better. I hated it all, and nothing good ever seemed to happen for me. I became homeschooled and had thoughts of suicide several times- but Kingsisle's game, Wizard101, helped to take some of the pain away. I met four people there, one of them who had gone through similar situations, and she helped me a lot. She helped me not feel so bad, she helped me not be so angry or sad or see myself as worthless. If I hadn't resumed playing the game and eventually starting Pirate101.... I wouldn't be standing here right now, typing this.

Ciao.
I am so very sorry to hear about what you have had to endure throughout your life, Emma. NOBODY ever deserves to be bullied (physically, emotional or verbally), teased or treated the way you have. It is really sad that bullying seems to have gotten worse in recent decades. Growing up, I wasn't really bullied and I surely did not bully others, but I saw others who were affected by it. Again, I say that I feel so bad that you had to suffer as a result of others cruelty. No living creature, regardless of looks, interests, uniqueness, shyness, supreme intelligence, shape or just being different, should ever have to go through being treated badly by anyone.

To think that all of those that bullied you, missed out on getting to know and possibly be enriched by someone that could have been a great and dear friend to them, actually makes me feel sorry for them. For them to treat you horribly and dismiss you before even getting a chance to see the friendship that you may have been able to provide them, only makes their ignorance that much uglier. I will never understand or fathom why such cruelty exists in this world.

And I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your pets- I definitely know what that is like. I have experienced the loss of probably close to twenty beloved pets throughout my life, and yes it does hurt immensely no matter the number. I also spent 13+ very difficult years with someone who suffered severely from manic depression and bipolar depression and I can only begin to imagine what you may have gone through and may still be going through. The mere fact that you are here with us sharing this goes to show how strong (and stubborn...in a good way mind you) you are and you should be so proud of that. Whether you believe it or not, those are not just words- we do care about you and hope for the best for you in your life, your future career as a writer or artist (or whatever you choose) and with whatever path your decisions and interests take you down. I am sure everyone here will be cheering you on and hoping that you succeed in all of your life's adventures.

Based on what you have shared with us, it appears that you are truly a fighter of epic proportions and you have no idea how much I admire and respect you for that. I don't have to know you very well to be able to know that much. You should be proud that in spite of all you have had to suffer and endure through, you are still here, still fighting, still giving life a couple of hard knocks in return.

I am so happy that you found Wizard101 and Pirate101 and that they helped take away some of your pain. Also, I am happy that you found those four people that gave you hope and their friendship as well.

Thank you so much for sharing, Emma. I do wish you nothing but the best and hope that you find peace and happiness along with a pain & bully free life. I do hope you know that I mean these words to you because I absolutely do- I wouldn't take the time to write them if I didn't. Thank you again.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
fearless robert sp... on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
LOL that was cool! i will be sure to keep an eye out for your "little pirate buddy" in the game lol
Thanks Robert. He is about halfway done with Marleybone and I think a level 62, so if you happen to run into him, tell him that his Pirate Daddy is super proud of him, always will be.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
fearless robert sp... on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
you got your wife to make a pirate!? dude, you are wizard! x raises sword x VICTORY! lol
Oops I meant to respond to this post at the same time as the other one. Yep, Robert, I cast a spell on her and she was under my control and obeyed my every command....just don't tell her I said that, or this wizard would be out in the doghouse for sure. I may be the wizard but she has the wand and casts the spells- I just look good in the robe In all seriousness, she did finally make a pirate, now I just have to get her to play...where's that wand or spell card.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
What a great thread, Valkoor! I found something to resonate with in everyone's stories. Like Valkoor, I find that Pirate101 is enjoyed as a solo venture or a family game - my husband and I exchange witty pirate dialog back and forth (making our kids roll their eyes) and my youngest daughter also plays, but prefers, er, 'guiding' my pirates (especially the one I named after her, of course). My oldest daughter doesn't play but is often willing to be an editor for my fan-fiction - important as she is gentle and sensitive, and helps me keep from getting carried away with my story ending up too violent. (My major worry for my stories, which is odd because I am a very gentle person who can't watch anything more intense than a PG13 movie, and sometimes not even those). Like 'ancorbie' (Esperanza) I have been delighted to find on the message boards people who combine wit and humor with a wide variety of intellectual pursuits, and engage in literary play. Like Emma I was bullied mercilessly as a shy, 'different' child. I wasn't really any smarter than the other kids I suppose, just... odd. But today I can call it 'original', 'unique', 'fresh' - or perhaps, just 'eccentric', it doesn't matter, really. I'm just happy being my 'odd' self! But from those childhood sorrows I learned how not to treat other people, and furthermore, I learned compassion. I realized that it was easier for children who made tentative moves to be friendly to instead join with the tormentors, and in that realization, forgave them. Loneliness brought forth thinking, and a rich inner life. These weren't necessarily good times, but good things came out of them. And Emma, it gets better. Really. In the meantime, we can all be pirate buddies together!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard and Bonnie...always trying to stir thing up. Thanks for the applause GBalance and no they don't call me Pirate Daddy, though...I may have heard a Papa Pirate before from my oldest son. The closest thing to Pirate Daddy I have heard from my 6 month old twins is Bah-di-blah-goo-p-p-p-p-p-dah-geeee. Actually, that is not true my little girl has been saying a couple words for a few weeks now and one of those is Da-Da. She also says "hi" and "hi Dad". The first time I heard it, my heart melted and she had me even further wrapped around her teeny-tiny finger. According to his mommy, my baby boy has said Da-Da in the past couple days, but I have not been fortunate enough to hear it yet. Although he will mimic me laughing which is soooo incredibly funny to watch. I can get him to do it anytime now, and he just does this semi-fake cracking-up type of laughing and then everyone can't stop laughing...which gets him going even more.

Dang, my eyes got a little moist as I was typing this...some kind of ruthless pirate I am, huh?
Psssst.....It's because you forget you have a whole lot of virtuousness mixed in there too.
Besides, even Ratbeard would melt at a little darlin' saying "Hi Dad" for the first times then topped off with the sound of a 6 month old's laughter. Sounds like your number 2 son has a huge dose your your wonderful sense of humor. You have just the right mix of heart and adventure to make the perfect Papa Pirate.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
What a great thread, Valkoor! I found something to resonate with in everyone's stories. Like Valkoor, I find that Pirate101 is enjoyed as a solo venture or a family game - my husband and I exchange witty pirate dialog back and forth (making our kids roll their eyes) and my youngest daughter also plays, but prefers, er, 'guiding' my pirates (especially the one I named after her, of course). My oldest daughter doesn't play but is often willing to be an editor for my fan-fiction - important as she is gentle and sensitive, and helps me keep from getting carried away with my story ending up too violent. (My major worry for my stories, which is odd because I am a very gentle person who can't watch anything more intense than a PG13 movie, and sometimes not even those). Like 'ancorbie' (Esperanza) I have been delighted to find on the message boards people who combine wit and humor with a wide variety of intellectual pursuits, and engage in literary play. Like Emma I was bullied mercilessly as a shy, 'different' child. I wasn't really any smarter than the other kids I suppose, just... odd. But today I can call it 'original', 'unique', 'fresh' - or perhaps, just 'eccentric', it doesn't matter, really. I'm just happy being my 'odd' self! But from those childhood sorrows I learned how not to treat other people, and furthermore, I learned compassion. I realized that it was easier for children who made tentative moves to be friendly to instead join with the tormentors, and in that realization, forgave them. Loneliness brought forth thinking, and a rich inner life. These weren't necessarily good times, but good things came out of them. And Emma, it gets better. Really. In the meantime, we can all be pirate buddies together!
Thank you so much for sharing Anne. You summed up the brilliant uniqueness of KI, the game Pirate101 itself, and the message boards all at the same time. Where else can you find a video game (especially an MMO) that an entire family can play, share and enjoy together, like your family does. These family, fun for all ages types of games have become a rare, nearly extinct species, yet KI has found a way to not only revive the genre but also allow it to thrive and flourish. There are a couple of kids in my son's class that play the game right alongside and with their grandparents and...excuse my lack of a more sophisticated wording...how way cool is that?

I am so glad that you get and take the time to share with your loved ones, something that others may see as silly or pointless. There are a lot of parents out there that may be searching for a way to better relate and connect with their children and playing a game such as Pirate101, is an exceptional way to do so. Your daughter's are very fortunate that you and your husband (Hi, Anne's Husband) looked past the 'just a video game label' and found an enjoyable way to further connect and nurture your bonds with them. Hopefully your oldest isn't too harsh on you when it comes to editing, but with your skillset as a writer- I can't imagine she could find too much worthy of editing.

I am sorry to hear about the bullying that you had to endure as well, but I am inspired by how you chose to turn that into a positive and valuable learning tool to sculpt your life into a more sophisticated, refined and amazing work of art.

Thank you again, Anne, for sharing with us what KI, Pirate101 and the P101 community has meant to you and your family.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing Anne. You summed up the brilliant uniqueness of KI, the game Pirate101 itself, and the message boards all at the same time. Where else can you find a video game (especially an MMO) that an entire family can play, share and enjoy together, like your family does. These family, fun for all ages types of games have become a rare, nearly extinct species, yet KI has found a way to not only revive the genre but also allow it to thrive and flourish. There are a couple of kids in my son's class that play the game right alongside and with their grandparents and...excuse my lack of a more sophisticated wording...how way cool is that?

I am so glad that you get and take the time to share with your loved ones, something that others may see as silly or pointless. There are a lot of parents out there that may be searching for a way to better relate and connect with their children and playing a game such as Pirate101, is an exceptional way to do so. Your daughter's are very fortunate that you and your husband (Hi, Anne's Husband) looked past the 'just a video game label' and found an enjoyable way to further connect and nurture your bonds with them. Hopefully your oldest isn't too harsh on you when it comes to editing, but with your skillset as a writer- I can't imagine she could find too much worthy of editing.

I am sorry to hear about the bullying that you had to endure as well, but I am inspired by how you chose to turn that into a positive and valuable learning tool to sculpt your life into a more sophisticated, refined and amazing work of art.

Thank you again, Anne, for sharing with us what KI, Pirate101 and the P101 community has meant to you and your family.
Thanks Valkoor, and I just realized that you probably don't know who the 'husband' is. He is known as ... duhn, duhn, duhhhn... 'Sam Underhill'. Yep, we have lots of fun together.

My children are both kindly editors, and they do like to critique mom's work. My oldest girl tends to be a better editor because she is more sensitive to mood and intensity, while my youngest simply tends to enjoy the stories I write and miss any potential plot problems -- and then ask when her character, Practical Evelyn Lewis, is going to get another story! And those stories were fun too, together working out the details of Evelyn's youthful experience (raised in Mooshu by a kindly Bull ronin, not ninja pigs; the looong and rather comical process of choosing the best names for the characters in the story; having a best friend who is a Mander in her first adventure, etc.) Yes, it is true, there are so many ways to enjoy Pirate101!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Valkoor, and I just realized that you probably don't know who the 'husband' is. He is known as ... duhn, duhn, duhhhn... 'Sam Underhill'. Yep, we have lots of fun together.

My children are both kindly editors, and they do like to critique mom's work. My oldest girl tends to be a better editor because she is more sensitive to mood and intensity, while my youngest simply tends to enjoy the stories I write and miss any potential plot problems -- and then ask when her character, Practical Evelyn Lewis, is going to get another story! And those stories were fun too, together working out the details of Evelyn's youthful experience (raised in Mooshu by a kindly Bull ronin, not ninja pigs; the looong and rather comical process of choosing the best names for the characters in the story; having a best friend who is a Mander in her first adventure, etc.) Yes, it is true, there are so many ways to enjoy Pirate101!
Thanks Anne, actually I was already aware that you and Sam were married, I just didn't know if it was a 'known to all' fact and didn't want to spoil any playful, witty, clever message board exchanges between the two of you and reveal anything. That is why I gave the little smiling wink, so I was saying "Hi" to Sam.

And I don't know if you recall but I chatted with you a couple months ago (maybe one of the first times I had the pleasure of actually 'speaking' with you) in game and you told me you appreciated my goofy sense of humor. I responded by saying that I was sure that your home was full of a nice combination of intelligence and goofiness. I knew then, and my response was an acknowledgement and tip of the hat towards the great pairing and partnership of Sam and yourself- a perfect blend of brilliance and humor (with both of you sharing equal parts of each, of course!

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Here ya go Valkoor
My life used to be very different. I have done many things from television direction, camera, set design and all that goes with helping to start up a television studio in a small town, to being an on air DJ at stations in Ohio and California, to being a paramedic and loving every moment of being able to be the one that rushes to the aid of those in need and being the one with the knowledge to help. I gotta admit that the rush I felt the first time I drove an ambulance with lights and sirens a blazing really fed the kid in me even though it WAS a serious issue and my patient was just fine. When we did accident extrication training and I was the only girl in my class that could use the Jaws of Life by myself and I triumphantly tore the door off of a Pinto. I led a very active life and was full of the joys of a healthy body and the beauty in nature as I took hikes and climbed in the mountains of Southern California and swam in the beautiful oceans of Mexico. Then it happened. I had a desk job at the time and I gaily picked up a basket of files that was heavier than normal and I herniated 2 discs and caused several bulges. From vibrant and healthy to sudden and intractable pain that never stops, it only varies in intensity.
That was 15 years ago and I still fight that fight. Oh I have done every therapy imaginable and have done my battles with the great monster of depression. I did my best to try to keep my mind off of the pain. I finished my college degree and in the process I found my soulmate and was blissfully married for 7 years without one fight (Really ). Laughter fed our house and the distraction of caring for someone else did not make my pain go away, but it made it much easier to bear. That is where I learned my great lessons on how blessing someone else is the best thing there is to increasing the blessings in your life. When a transplant surgery gone wrong took my beloved from me my life changed again. Financial trials combined with the stock market crash and an unscrupulous employer going back on his benefits awarded as a result the house and car are gone and my stuff is in storage and I live with my sister.

I became a virtual shut in and depression loomed huge.
Then I discovered Pirate 101. A friend convinced me to try it and I was hooked from day 2. Ok I am a bit stubborn and had to push past day 1 . I just love the great jokes and the wonderful storyline and I began to make so many wonderful friends. One of them, Angel always seemed to be in the know about bugs and updates and I asked him how he knew so much. "I read the message boards" he said and encouraged me to. Thanks to his wise prodding I peeked my head in here and became instantly accepted. I applied my knowledge of blessing others and it has come back on me to make my life a pure joy now. You guys mean the world to me and you make up my world now. Every time I help a player or make a poster giggle my joy grows. Thanks KingsIsle You changed my life.
wow...thats all i got

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
Oops I meant to respond to this post at the same time as the other one. Yep, Robert, I cast a spell on her and she was under my control and obeyed my every command....just don't tell her I said that, or this wizard would be out in the doghouse for sure. I may be the wizard but she has the wand and casts the spells- I just look good in the robe In all seriousness, she did finally make a pirate, now I just have to get her to play...where's that wand or spell card.
ha, lol i do still do not get how you did that bro, i have asked my sis to join ay leats ten time but she just says shut up and walks away. lol

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
  • ok i guess since every body is telling how they found pirate101 i guess i should to, here we go.
    it was a hot summer day, (i think) i was watching tv when the ad came on that we all know and love, and by the time that i heard "rated everyone ten and up!" i was halfway across the house and talking to my mom, i told her about the ad and asked her if i could download pirate101, she said no so i walked back to the tv i bit disapointed, then i thought: "eh, it probably was not really a good game anyway" (boy was i wrong!) x a few months later x i saw the ad again and this time my sis helped me by telling my mom a bit about the game, asnd when she learned a bit more she let me download it and right when boochbeard said "you there! yer standing on me blind side! are ye a boy or a girl?" i was hooked, and after i made robert and started fighting troggies, i ran in to the kitchen and said to my parents: "guys! this game rocks! their are these creature guys called troggies and i kicked their butts! " and she just smiled and said: well i am glad your having a good time buddy" lol and that was when fearless robert spencer was born! that was over a year ago, that is my p101 story

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
fearless robert sp... on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
  • ok i guess since every body is telling how they found pirate101 i guess i should to, here we go.
    it was a hot summer day, (i think) i was watching tv when the ad came on that we all know and love, and by the time that i heard "rated everyone ten and up!" i was halfway across the house and talking to my mom, i told her about the ad and asked her if i could download pirate101, she said no so i walked back to the tv i bit disapointed, then i thought: "eh, it probably was not really a good game anyway" (boy was i wrong!) x a few months later x i saw the ad again and this time my sis helped me by telling my mom a bit about the game, asnd when she learned a bit more she let me download it and right when boochbeard said "you there! yer standing on me blind side! are ye a boy or a girl?" i was hooked, and after i made robert and started fighting troggies, i ran in to the kitchen and said to my parents: "guys! this game rocks! their are these creature guys called troggies and i kicked their butts! " and she just smiled and said: well i am glad your having a good time buddy" lol and that was when fearless robert spencer was born! that was over a year ago, that is my p101 story
I am so glad you persisted yet you showed the correct amount of respect to you Mom. Well done Sir. I am glad you and your sis teamed up, what parent can resist that?
Persistence and a well placed cheesy smile as you sing Pleeeeeze can work miracles.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
I am so glad you persisted yet you showed the correct amount of respect to you Mom. Well done Sir. I am glad you and your sis teamed up, what parent can resist that?
Persistence and a well placed cheesy smile as you sing Pleeeeeze can work miracles.
ha, lol. yep it took some time, but we finally got her to crack, but believe me dudes, it was tough.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your Pirate101 story, Robert- it seems that you have a bit of wizardry up your own sleeve as well. You and your sis seem to be very talented in the art of persuasion...a fine trait for a pirate to have. I am sure that your mom is happy that she decided to let you give P101 a try, seeing as it has brought you happiness...and you know that moms want their kids to be happy (even pirate-y ones).

Congratulations on your very first victory as a pirate and the numerous ones that surely have followed since you got your mom to let you download and register. We are very glad that you were able to join the fine P101 community and us fellow pirates in the Spiral.

Again, thanks for sharing your adventurous P101 story.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Why not let her try the game? Persuade her to create her own pirate, challenge her to find the most treasure, or sink a ship! Let her get those 'mommy' frustrations out on the nefarious Armada! I'll bet she'll be hooked in no time and she'll enjoy sharing time with you and your sister ( look at Valkoor and his son ).

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 11, 2014 wrote:
Thank you very much for sharing your Pirate101 story, Robert- it seems that you have a bit of wizardry up your own sleeve as well. You and your sis seem to be very talented in the art of persuasion...a fine trait for a pirate to have. I am sure that your mom is happy that she decided to let you give P101 a try, seeing as it has brought you happiness...and you know that moms want their kids to be happy (even pirate-y ones).

Congratulations on your very first victory as a pirate and the numerous ones that surely have followed since you got your mom to let you download and register. We are very glad that you were able to join the fine P101 community and us fellow pirates in the Spiral.

Again, thanks for sharing your adventurous P101 story.
no problamo valkoor, lolz and thx for the congrats.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013

Ciao.
sheesh... thats... oh my word, i dont know how to respond, nobody should be treated like that