Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Lack of Shooty/Smashy weapons?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
We're not completely sure about this, but myself and some other members of pirate101 central forums were discussing how there seems to be no shooty/smashy weapons currently in the game, even though there are plenty of shooty/slashy and shooty/stabby weapons out there. There are smashy/shooty weapons that are a shield and a ranged weapon, but the problem with those weapons is that melee epics and powers cannot be used when you are wearing smashy/shooty. However when wearing shooty/slashy or shooty/stabby stuff, you can use both melee and ranged epics and powers. I was wondering if this was done intentionally, or if this was overlooked. As a buccaneer I would very much appreciate being able to use melee and ranged epics/powers while getting the smashy 1-3 bonuses.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
bluba4 on Dec 7, 2013 wrote:
We're not completely sure about this, but myself and some other members of pirate101 central forums were discussing how there seems to be no shooty/smashy weapons currently in the game, even though there are plenty of shooty/slashy and shooty/stabby weapons out there. There are smashy/shooty weapons that are a shield and a ranged weapon, but the problem with those weapons is that melee epics and powers cannot be used when you are wearing smashy/shooty. However when wearing shooty/slashy or shooty/stabby stuff, you can use both melee and ranged epics and powers. I was wondering if this was done intentionally, or if this was overlooked. As a buccaneer I would very much appreciate being able to use melee and ranged epics/powers while getting the smashy 1-3 bonuses.
I'm not sure if I am correct in this but I think the reason there are no shooty/smashy weapons, where the smashy is a melee weapon (vs. shield), is because the smashy melee weapons require your pirate to use two hands to wield them. The huge clubs, hammers and axes are soooo heavy that freeing up that second hand for a shooty weapon just wouldn't be possible. Even though it is a game, KI probably thought it wouldn't look right for a pirate to be holding the Hammer of Anax or other immense weapons and a gun at the same time.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
I guess that makes sense, I can't think of many smashy one-handed weapons. Maybe they could make the buccaneers hit people with a shield and a gun melee for shooty/smashy?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
bluba4 on Dec 9, 2013 wrote:
I guess that makes sense, I can't think of many smashy one-handed weapons. Maybe they could make the buccaneers hit people with a shield and a gun melee for shooty/smashy?
Yeah, that would be nice. Being able to deliver a blow or two with the shield than summersault back and let them have it with a gun or other shooty weapon would be pretty cool. Like you said then you could use your melee power attacks, if attacking adjacent enemy, and still take advantage of the gun. If more than 1 square away your pirate could just use the gun. I really like the idea of it

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 9, 2013 wrote:
I'm not sure if I am correct in this but I think the reason there are no shooty/smashy weapons, where the smashy is a melee weapon (vs. shield), is because the smashy melee weapons require your pirate to use two hands to wield them. The huge clubs, hammers and axes are soooo heavy that freeing up that second hand for a shooty weapon just wouldn't be possible. Even though it is a game, KI probably thought it wouldn't look right for a pirate to be holding the Hammer of Anax or other immense weapons and a gun at the same time.
No, actually not all of them, buccaneers get a skill that allows them to weild Two Handed Weapons. there is no such thing as a 2 handed weapon that isnt smashy, but there are smashy weapons that aren't 2 handed. such as the Pilum (not sure you know it) but i do think you need Big Choppy weapons to wield these smashy weapons that aren't 2 handed. all the weapons you listed were Two Handed Weapons, but it is possible to have a shooty weapon and a smashy weapon, there are weapons that are smashy that the pirate hold just as they hold a stabby or slashy weapons.

I am not sure the reason myself though, Perhaps this does have something to do with it. they might have to make a new animation or 2 for them but i do think it is possible

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Speed Switch on Dec 9, 2013 wrote:
No, actually not all of them, buccaneers get a skill that allows them to weild Two Handed Weapons. there is no such thing as a 2 handed weapon that isnt smashy, but there are smashy weapons that aren't 2 handed. such as the Pilum (not sure you know it) but i do think you need Big Choppy weapons to wield these smashy weapons that aren't 2 handed. all the weapons you listed were Two Handed Weapons, but it is possible to have a shooty weapon and a smashy weapon, there are weapons that are smashy that the pirate hold just as they hold a stabby or slashy weapons.

I am not sure the reason myself though, Perhaps this does have something to do with it. they might have to make a new animation or 2 for them but i do think it is possible
Thanks Speed Switch for the info.

I did indeed forget about Pilum and some of the spears, halberds, and other one handed weapons that are one handed smashy weapons like you stated. I think for some reason I thought that even though they were held with one hand, that when your pirate would attack and use melee powers they would use two hands with the attacking move. I do believe that my thought on that was incorrect as well.

It would be nice to see a new twist on the shooty/smashy weapons where you could wield both a large smashy one-handed weapon (such as Pilum) and a gun or crossbow. Or maybe they thought it would seem a bit unrealistic (I know, it is a game after all) to have a pirate toting a huge spear and a gun at the same time. Either way I wouldn't mind one single bit my pirate being able to have and use both.

Thanks again!

Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
Or maybe they could do a spin on the Bayonet where it's smashy/shooty?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Pirates in the Sky on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
Or maybe they could do a spin on the Bayonet where it's smashy/shooty?
I like that idea a lot That would make for a pretty good set of moves in battle. If they mixed in a few other melee weapons in combo with some shooty ones, then every class would have another set of options to choose from. I definitely like the combining melee and ranged attacks with the bayonet- great idea.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
bluba4 on Dec 7, 2013 wrote:
Smashy/shooty, Shooty/smashy - There should be no difference.
Please, Ratbeard, have a heart and take an unnecessary complication out of the game by making the base stat of any combination weapon depend on the class of the wielder. This way Musketeers, Privateers, and Buccaneers can all see the same weapon as a viable, if not optimal, option. Witchdoctors and Swashbucklers would be ill served by this particular combination, but it would allow considerably more variety in the combat styles favored by individual pirates. And I am sure you like seeing us show variety and imagination instead of being cookie cutter pirates.

While I am ranting ...
Please allow the Bayonet weapons from the crowns shop to support Melee attack powers like mighty charge, Assassin's strike, and (melee and Ranged) critical strike. Also, bayonet rifles should allow repel boarders to activate if you have it. I suppose making them shooty/stabby weapons with range is asking too much.

Please introduce a shooty/stabby weapon in the crowns shop and/or dropped by bosses in each world.

Please give Musketeers another long range rifle like Ol' Quigley (but with level-appropriate damage) in the next expansion.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Row4n412 on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
Please, Ratbeard, have a heart and take an unnecessary complication out of the game by making the base stat of any combination weapon depend on the class of the wielder. This way Musketeers, Privateers, and Buccaneers can all see the same weapon as a viable, if not optimal, option. Witchdoctors and Swashbucklers would be ill served by this particular combination, but it would allow considerably more variety in the combat styles favored by individual pirates. And I am sure you like seeing us show variety and imagination instead of being cookie cutter pirates.

While I am ranting ...
Please allow the Bayonet weapons from the crowns shop to support Melee attack powers like mighty charge, Assassin's strike, and (melee and Ranged) critical strike. Also, bayonet rifles should allow repel boarders to activate if you have it. I suppose making them shooty/stabby weapons with range is asking too much.

Please introduce a shooty/stabby weapon in the crowns shop and/or dropped by bosses in each world.

Please give Musketeers another long range rifle like Ol' Quigley (but with level-appropriate damage) in the next expansion.
That's my point, is that there IS a difference between shooty/smashy and smashy/shooty. Smashy/shooty has range and is based off agility. However, melee powers and epics can't be triggered by it. If there was a shooty/smashy weapon out there, it would match the shooty/stabby and shooty/slashy weapons already out there where the weapon would be melee, based off of strength, but you could still use both melee and ranged epics and abilities. That's why I was originally confused as to why there weren't any shooty/smashy out there. Also, I was thinking about the whole "it would look awkward with a giant weapon and a gun" thing, and if that were true, why do they have shooty/staffy and staffy/shooty? Using magic with one hand and shooting a gun with the other hand isn't exactly feasible either. But then again this is a fantasy game anyways :P, it doesn't have to be feasible.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Row4n412 on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:

While I am ranting ...

I like the ideas Row4n12! I think they would be excellent additions to any pirate's arsenal and like you said would add much more variety to the game. The bayonet with melee strikes absolutely makes sense and would be very welcomed indeed.

First Mate
May 01, 2012
There is at least one Smashy/Shooty weapon: the Walktopus Shield. It is a level 25 weapon that uses your Agility, damages for 62 - 103, and has Armor of a +6. I think I got this in Cool Ranch from one of the weapon shops. I am fairly certain that I've seen at least one to two more different weapons that are Smashy/Shooty or Shooty/Smashy (not sure what the difference is between the two types).

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
There is at least one Smashy/Shooty weapon: the Walktopus Shield. It is a level 25 weapon that uses your Agility, damages for 62 - 103, and has Armor of a +6. I think I got this in Cool Ranch from one of the weapon shops. I am fairly certain that I've seen at least one to two more different weapons that are Smashy/Shooty or Shooty/Smashy (not sure what the difference is between the two types).
Exactly. There are shields with guns. Those are strictly smashy/shoooty and not shooty/smashy. The difference is, you can only shoot with those weapons. You can't use your melee epics or abilities with them. If there was shooty/smashy, there would be no shield and you could use say both brutal charge and grape shot if you wanted to.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
Thanks SlightlyMadWizard

I have come across many shooty/weapons as well, however, just like the Waltopus Shield (at least I think so) they are all a shooty weapon (gun,crossbow) with a shield that you use to smash the enemy with. The difference in what we are hoping to be added to the game, is that we would like to see a shooty/smashy weapon that is a gun/crossbow with a smashy melee weapon. With this combo you could either shoot from long range or use a melee attack power, that when used can both strike with the melee weapon and shoot with the shooty weapon all in the same attack. (Also, combo attack would be triggered by critical strikes)

Or like Row4n12 suggested, have a weapon like the bayonet that when using a power attack or triggering a critical strike, it could both smash the enemy and then shoot the enemy in the same attacking move.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
bluba4 on Dec 10, 2013 wrote:
That's my point, is that there IS a difference between shooty/smashy and smashy/shooty. Smashy/shooty has range and is based off agility. However, melee powers and epics can't be triggered by it. If there was a shooty/smashy weapon out there, it would match the shooty/stabby and shooty/slashy weapons already out there where the weapon would be melee, based off of strength, but you could still use both melee and ranged epics and abilities. That's why I was originally confused as to why there weren't any shooty/smashy out there. Also, I was thinking about the whole "it would look awkward with a giant weapon and a gun" thing, and if that were true, why do they have shooty/staffy and staffy/shooty? Using magic with one hand and shooting a gun with the other hand isn't exactly feasible either. But then again this is a fantasy game anyways :P, it doesn't have to be feasible.
In my opinion the biggest difference in a shooty/staffy weapon and a what we are talking about is more about the weight of the object not necessarily the size. Now I am neither a sorcerer/wizard or barbarian/warrior by profession but I would think that a huge war hammer or massive sword would be more difficult to wield with one hand than a magical staff. Although.... I may have to test this myself, if I can find where I put my darn war hammer and my wizard's staff.

Sure it doesn't have to be feasible or realistic but it was more a suggestion that maybe that is what the developers of KI were looking at in regards to this.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 9, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, that would be nice. Being able to deliver a blow or two with the shield than summersault back and let them have it with a gun or other shooty weapon would be pretty cool. Like you said then you could use your melee power attacks, if attacking adjacent enemy, and still take advantage of the gun. If more than 1 square away your pirate could just use the gun. I really like the idea of it
Do buccaneers have the agility to do a summersault backwards? they also have the heavy armor

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
MightySwashbuckler... on Dec 12, 2013 wrote:
Do buccaneers have the agility to do a summersault backwards? they also have the heavy armor
Good point and/or question. Even though in reality they should not be able to when equipped with heavy armor and wielding massive weapons, yes they do indeed have the ability/agility to in the game. With the brutal charge (and other bucc. powers) and by equipping gear with some of the swashbuckler powers- my buccaneer is indeed constantly 'flipping out' in battle.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 12, 2013 wrote:
Good point and/or question. Even though in reality they should not be able to when equipped with heavy armor and wielding massive weapons, yes they do indeed have the ability/agility to in the game. With the brutal charge (and other bucc. powers) and by equipping gear with some of the swashbuckler powers- my buccaneer is indeed constantly 'flipping out' in battle.
Lol excellent pun .

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 12, 2013 wrote:
Lol excellent pun .
Thanks, every once in a while I can be a pretty punny guy.