Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What will the capital be like?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 28, 2012
hey, everyone and KI staff members, this is going to be my last post before my subscription expires tomorrow on Oct. 9th 2013. So anyways, plenty of us, including me, have figured that we pirates are going to set foot on Cadiz eventually sometime soon. From the clues left in characters' words, Cadiz would be the capital of Valencia. If Valencia is inspired by Italy, then put 2 and 2 together: Cadiz would be inspired by Ancient Rome!

Thus, my first question to mostly any or most of the KI staff members on here would be, "what will creating Cadiz be like?" Of course, Blind Mew or One Eyed Jack wouldn't spill too many beans, but we'd all like a general idea of what's going on. However, I had a thought:

"Ancient Rome is a really huge city in Italy, and it's been incredible that the Borgia family and the Papacy were in control during a period in the Renaissance era (or so I thought). I might have answered one question by considering that maybe Cadiz will be divided into different segments in one skyway. But for such a large Italian city, that would take KI such a long time to make plus adding in the additional NPCs, new battles, new enemies, etc! Hopefully, these guys know what they're doing."

Figuring that the Papacy was in control of Ancient Rome at one point, the Armada might be affiliated with a possible Papacy group from Cadiz maybe? We have also yet to fight more unicorns other than Iago, so are there possible enemy unicorns who will attack us?

Talking about Cadiz being Ancient Rome all of a sudden brings me to the question of, "what inspirations will KI look at to create Cadiz?" Though it's a violent, mature game, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood had one of the best 3D lifelike models of Ancient Rome I've ever seen. I hope some Pirate101 design team members will take a look at the Ancient Rome Ubisoft created for AAC Brotherhood and get a good idea on creating Cadiz.

Also, here's my second question, "how much travelling does KI do to get ideas on creating the other worlds?" Many games wanting to involve foreign countries would do much travelling (Pokemon X and Y is an example where the Japanese developers went to France) to implement those countries into their games. Thus, it piques my curiosity on the amount of travelling it took the Pirate101 team members to be able to create worlds never seen before in Wizard101.

I know this is A LOT to digest, and I hope the Pirate101 staff members are looking at this and will reply back to me please (*cough* especially you, Blind Mew *cough*). Anyways, as I end this last post of mine, I must say it was pretty helpful to be able to talk on here for one year already. Thank you all for viewing this and I wish you all luck to do well in life and in the game. See you in the Skyway!

Brigadier C

Developer
hey, everyone and KI staff members, this is going to be my last post before my subscription expires tomorrow on Oct. 9th 2013.

Hey! Sorry for the delay in responding. I hope you get to see this or have it relayed to you, and hope to see you again soon!

So anyways, plenty of us, including me, have figured that we pirates are going to set foot on Cadiz eventually sometime soon. From the clues left in characters' words, Cadiz would be the capital of Valencia.

Beware - your reasoning may not be correct. Just because we've said Cadiz is a city in Valencia and we've said Valenica has a capital, that doesn't mean the capital of Valencia is Cadiz. The most we've said in game is that it'd be pointless to try to go there and steal some books. I'm not saying Cadiz is not the capital of Valenica, but it need not be.

And of course, even if we're going to Valencia in the next Book (which we may not necessarily be), there's no reason to assume we'd send you to the capital. That said...

If we were to show you the capital of Valenica, you can bet that the grand cities of Renaissance Italy would be our inspiration, and that we'd try to make the place as gorgeous as possible. We also, as you've no doubt noticed, tend to throw thematic elements into a blender when making our spaces - so I wouldn't expect a faithful re-creation of Rome, or Florence, or Venice - I'd expect a space that had elements of each, blended in cool ways.

As the proud holder of a History degree, I applaud your research and knowledge of the issues in Italian politics. One thing to consider, though - given our market, we tend to shy away from recognizable modern religion - the Monquistan Church is about as close as we're likely to get to something like a Papacy, and we've done that.

But as for tensions and conflicts, bear in mind that Valencia has a King. That king is not Kane. He's a Unicorn. Kane does not rule Valencia. Offically... Yet...

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
I expect that Kane's palace in Cadiz will be separate from the city much like Versailles in France and the forbidden city in China. After all, Kane can expect that the people of Valencia would not be too supportive after he usurped the rightful government. Kane is probably not even the titular head of Valencia. His official role may simply be head of the military, while the official head of state is relegated to figurehead status. Think of the Shogun in medieval Japan (the Emperor was so poor he had to sell his armor to pay for a fancy tea party). Think even of Egypt today with the military casually ousting the Executive leadership when they tried to betray the voters. So, the areas we actually visit can be controllably small. The inaccessable mainland could be dotted with buildings even.