Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The privateer problem...

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Hi! I was just wondering how do you defeat high level privateers? I have a level 61 privateer friend who just overloads all his companions with longlasting and SUPER effective buffs. Thier immesnly powerful accuracy+will+dodge buffs and invincibility spells go on for about 3 pages (according to my friend) and to top it all of they have amazing healing powers. My characters can barely touch them and now they attack back with mega hits and all that! Now please don't say I am complaining, because all I want to know is how you defeat one. I have purchased healing spells and my el-toro has that trumpet power. I have a few buffs myself but these are so little compared to the might of the privateer.

I am a level 65 swashbuckler (silver dino hawkins) and I would appreiciate if One-eyed Jack or any other people would give me tips on how to defeat high level privateers.

p.s: my friend says that all battles are too easy for him because he is a privateer, so just suggesting maybe you could make it easier for other classes with several unique characteristics (not buffs, like the privateer) like VERY HIGH accuracy and dodge rates, unique class companions that come with thier own buffs not available to privateers etc.

p.p.s: ty for reading all this!

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Now here's the problem I repeatedly see across the game and in these subject posts. Honestly the best tip for a close up 1v1 in a house arena is the best way to get at a privateer, and when put privateer in so said arena, simply focus fire on him as much as possible. BUT this is only for those good old buff spammers. there's ones that love using their fire attacks including zeena's rain of fire, which I like to call king/queen frying pans, who dominate in close range pvp. but I notice they focus too much on the offensive and forget to buff people. so there's 2 ways to approach them. now when talking in a mass scale 4v4, you're just gonna have to fight fire with fire and muster up as much privateer pals as possible. Hopefully this solves your prediction of a predicament.

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
to win against a privateer you must kill bonnie first if they have her on the field then kill the privateer so no heals or buffs can be used

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Privateers that stack every single buff are the easiest to defeat. Let them waste their buffs and come to you. When they do, continue moving away from them until the buff wears out. Most Privateers don't charge, they usually wait for you to get into their range. I'm assuming your friend did the same?

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Lucas Walker on Sep 1, 2013 wrote:
Privateers that stack every single buff are the easiest to defeat. Let them waste their buffs and come to you. When they do, continue moving away from them until the buff wears out. Most Privateers don't charge, they usually wait for you to get into their range. I'm assuming your friend did the same?
Yeah that's what I've seen mostly in the brawling hall these days, it always turns into the waiting game, and in a 4v4 they all get overwatch musketeers. BUT I, myself, don't travel mainstream and get my companions epics that COUNTER MUSKETEERS, not melee, although I still have a few that can annihilate both. A lot of people focus too much on melee annihilation, which to be honest is a waste, and is probably why I win so much. (even though I'm a Swashbuckler in level cap terms right now) I know I kind of got off topic in a way but that's usually how privateers act in pvp. I think I might start a topic on pvp strategies........

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Lucas Walker on Sep 1, 2013 wrote:
I assume you haven't met me yet, a privateer master does not buff at the beginning of the match but rather when the foolish enemy comes between him and zeena's fire range.

I have copyrighted this strategy, you must pay with one jug of yum to use it

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
zuto4011a on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:
I assume you haven't met me yet, a privateer master does not buff at the beginning of the match but rather when the foolish enemy comes between him and zeena's fire range.

Try actually reading my post carefully. I said Privateers that do, not Privateers do, stack their buffs.

Not every Privateer uses Zeena. Sorry to burst your bubble, but chances are the strategy you're using is used by many others. Arrogance is blinding, my friend...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
zuto4011a on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:

I believe I am also a master privateer but I Do buff at the beginning, but only the ones that require my crew to be near me, then I plan the others as needed.
It takes all kinds to make a world

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Witchdoctor debuffing is very scary to a privateer, without their buffs privateers have nothing much going for them as their class is all about buffing and healing, and healing without the buffs isn't going to be enough.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Now here's a tip FOR the privateers who read this, (contradictory, I know.) I don't know if I'm saying useless info, but I just run across the problem too much. I really suggest, that is, when the battle actually starts to run, to use enduring discipline first and regular discipline second as soon as possible, it's like 3/4 of a swashbuckler using both his dances, and most of you probably know how deadly that stuff is, but it effects the WHOLE TEAM, so it's better than swashbuckler dances in a thousand fold. Plus it lasts longer, and the battle will probably be over by the time the enduring discipline runs out.

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Everyone tries to get us nerfed or tries to find the secret. Why does everyone complain about privateers?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
noahdd on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
Everyone tries to get us nerfed or tries to find the secret. Why does everyone complain about privateers?
People will complain about all sorts of stuff. Mostly stuff they don't understand. Fortunately these boards don't have the same biting complaining and name calling of the 'other ' boards and I love it. Our boards are safer and much more fun. I suspect the yarrs have a lot to do with it.
Every class has gotten complained about but honestly they are all basically balanced and the game works really well. Yes there will be the occasional whiner but that sort of poor sportsmanship just doesn't stick around here.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
When I started this thread I wanted to know how to defeat a Privateer. Privateer is unique because unlike most other classes, you dont have similar computer enemies. I mean the only reasonable privateer styled enemies (even if they are not the privateer class) are that spider in Monquista and Rooke. Since coming across a privateer computer enemy is rare, it was foreign to me to fight a real one. Naturally I wanted the experience of wiser or smarter people to give me tips on how to fight this new class.

Keep in mind that I posted this a long time ago, when I only began PvP with the privateer class. Also keep in mind that this thread is not a WHINING or COMPLAINING thread, but a helpful tips thingy, so for both the privateers and complainers arguing, it is very ANNOYING! Also note that the word "problem" in the title DOES NOT mean Privateers are a pain and annoying and silly class. It was simply for alliteration, for people to provide tips on how to defeat this class. I was expecting posts about saying how to understand what privateer thinks, strategies against their buffs etc.

Thank you for those who have posted tips rather than start a vs argument

Sincere Regards to all,
SDH LV 65

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
Golden Guardian on Oct 14, 2013 wrote:
When I started this thread I wanted to know how to defeat a Privateer. Privateer is unique because unlike most other classes, you dont have similar computer enemies. I mean the only reasonable privateer styled enemies (even if they are not the privateer class) are that spider in Monquista and Rooke. Since coming across a privateer computer enemy is rare, it was foreign to me to fight a real one. Naturally I wanted the experience of wiser or smarter people to give me tips on how to fight this new class.

Keep in mind that I posted this a long time ago, when I only began PvP with the privateer class. Also keep in mind that this thread is not a WHINING or COMPLAINING thread, but a helpful tips thingy, so for both the privateers and complainers arguing, it is very ANNOYING! Also note that the word "problem" in the title DOES NOT mean Privateers are a pain and annoying and silly class. It was simply for alliteration, for people to provide tips on how to defeat this class. I was expecting posts about saying how to understand what privateer thinks, strategies against their buffs etc.

Thank you for those who have posted tips rather than start a vs argument

Sincere Regards to all,
SDH LV 65
Thank goodness you said something before everything went downhill and this wound up getting locked, because this can turn to be a great message board with plenty of tips on how privateers work. Here's another one: some privateers like to amp their combat capability and not so much on buffing and healing, because almost every privateer I know has an assassin's strike hidden SOMEWHERE in their gear, and they get real trigger happy to use it early, my suggestion is to either try to make that a bad move for them and/or hope it isn't up in their powers bar. also I suggest crushing a companion on a turn you suspect they actually WILL use assassin's, or after they already did, so you make them regret doing so. I think at least 3/4 privateers in this game that are capped have or are farming for an assassin's strike piece of gear. Hope this turns into a mighty fine thread!

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
DuncanRoland The E... on Nov 11, 2013 wrote:
Thank goodness you said something before everything went downhill and this wound up getting locked, because this can turn to be a great message board with plenty of tips on how privateers work. Here's another one: some privateers like to amp their combat capability and not so much on buffing and healing, because almost every privateer I know has an assassin's strike hidden SOMEWHERE in their gear, and they get real trigger happy to use it early, my suggestion is to either try to make that a bad move for them and/or hope it isn't up in their powers bar. also I suggest crushing a companion on a turn you suspect they actually WILL use assassin's, or after they already did, so you make them regret doing so. I think at least 3/4 privateers in this game that are capped have or are farming for an assassin's strike piece of gear. Hope this turns into a mighty fine thread!

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer
I find that damaging Privateers early on might cause some to heal themselves. If they do, they waist a heal that they cannot use when it is needed. Also, you might want to check their stats if you can. I find that when they talk, you can click on their name on the little box and you can see what your dealing with. Once again, to emphasis this point, kill ALL their companions, preferably early on. I consider this essential when dealing with such foes who shine in PvP. When they lose their own companions, they are vulnerable and have to rely on other companions to blockade them. Nevertheless, expect the Unexpected with this class. you never know what tricks he might have up his sleeve unless you find out fer yerself.

Good luck to ye all,

Impish Omar Underwood

"Know Thine Enemy and Know Thyself, and in 100 Battles, you will not lose"

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
The Undead Obeah on Nov 24, 2013 wrote:
I find that damaging Privateers early on might cause some to heal themselves. If they do, they waist a heal that they cannot use when it is needed. Also, you might want to check their stats if you can. I find that when they talk, you can click on their name on the little box and you can see what your dealing with. Once again, to emphasis this point, kill ALL their companions, preferably early on. I consider this essential when dealing with such foes who shine in PvP. When they lose their own companions, they are vulnerable and have to rely on other companions to blockade them. Nevertheless, expect the Unexpected with this class. you never know what tricks he might have up his sleeve unless you find out fer yerself.

Good luck to ye all,

Impish Omar Underwood

"Know Thine Enemy and Know Thyself, and in 100 Battles, you will not lose"
That's another thing, too. If you feel lucky and feel you won't win the battle ANY OTHER WAY, if you have at least 2 companions with burst fire/mojo echo/relentless, and the privateer himself is somewhat downhill on health, just focus fire on the privateer ENTIRELY. Even if they use bonnie to heal, they waste a possible burst fire/double tap streak. Or if you're a buccaneer and have good accuracy..... You know what I speak of.
Either way, one round can turn the tide of the rest of the whole battle.

Skinny Duncan Roland
Endgamer

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Hey, I'm looking for the same thing but I think the Privateer I'm dealing with is a little different then the typical Privateer. For one: he charges with Nausica and Goronado and gets to me within the first 2rounds of the match. While they're charging he uses protection spells on Nausica so I wont be able to take her out before she takes out one of mine or possibly 2 of them, and Nausica isn't the only problem, he still has Goro (rank2 relentless) and Egg Shen (rank3 relentless) so when they make it over to us things only go south for me. Is there ANY way to defeat this kind of lineup? Preferably a tact that is useful for Max level Musketeers or Swashbucklers. Hopefully this'll get some helpful posts.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
ShadowStrikerV2 on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for the same thing but I think the Privateer I'm dealing with is a little different then the typical Privateer. For one: he charges with Nausica and Goronado and gets to me within the first 2rounds of the match. While they're charging he uses protection spells on Nausica so I wont be able to take her out before she takes out one of mine or possibly 2 of them, and Nausica isn't the only problem, he still has Goro (rank2 relentless) and Egg Shen (rank3 relentless) so when they make it over to us things only go south for me. Is there ANY way to defeat this kind of lineup? Preferably a tact that is useful for Max level Musketeers or Swashbucklers. Hopefully this'll get some helpful posts.
jason! dont yell my plans all over the message boards!

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
zuto4011a on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
jason! dont yell my plans all over the message boards!
Your indestructibility has made me very desperate... and don't tell me to "Just buy the companions" some people just don't have the money, and it's not fair that just cause you don't have a lot of money you cant win. I payed as much as I can to just be able to play the game...

Ensign
Jul 13, 2013
I hope these tips help, since they are coming from a level 65 Privateer. If you kill a Privateer's companions, they're done for. Also, when a Privateer's health is low, then Swashbucklers can try using the cursed and bleeding move. That way the Privateer can't heal and is losing health. I suggest if they still have companions left you go only for the Privateer, but don't take chances. Have your whole team (If you think you'll need all of them, depending on how many there are) attack the Privateer. They're especially hard to beat using the spirit shield, and I know when I go against people using spirit shields I never want to attack them. Attack them anyway, you'll have to kill them eventually. If they use buffs and you're at a distance, then just wait for the buffs to run out. Another tip: most pirates most likely have bombs, so spread out when it's your turn so they can only hit one of you, not all of you. I hope these helped

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
In my perspective, playing as a privateer is pretty boring considering that all you do is buff up and heal. I have a level 15 one and stopped playing on him. Anyways, privateers aren't that hard to defeat. It is the thoughts of other's experiences that kills you. "You must defeat your reasons before you can start, living like Larry." IDK what I am talking about anymore but I have defeated many privateers, many higher than me by 2-5 levels. Although they have those crazy buffs, you can always defeat them with your own class. Every class has the potential to defeat any class. But, here is a tip from my own experience for all you witchdoctors, DO NOT charm the opponent's companion and Espirit de Corps the team. I buffed my enemy.

Golden Chris Silver - Level65

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
RyeKishatu2013 on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
In my perspective, playing as a privateer is pretty boring considering that all you do is buff up and heal. I have a level 15 one and stopped playing on him. Anyways, privateers aren't that hard to defeat. It is the thoughts of other's experiences that kills you. "You must defeat your reasons before you can start, living like Larry." IDK what I am talking about anymore but I have defeated many privateers, many higher than me by 2-5 levels. Although they have those crazy buffs, you can always defeat them with your own class. Every class has the potential to defeat any class. But, here is a tip from my own experience for all you witchdoctors, DO NOT charm the opponent's companion and Espirit de Corps the team. I buffed my enemy.

Golden Chris Silver - Level65
Lol that happened to me, except I was the one being charmed XD

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
RyeKishatu2013 on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
Purge Magic!
Hours of Farming!
Not Worth it!
Low Drop Rates!
I could think of more, but it would be insulting at that point.
Anyway, with the upcoming update, i doubt this problem will continue, seeing as the things companined about most are now reduced (buffs, etc.)

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Quinn Quincy, 41 (I FINISHED THE DREADED INIOSHI BANDIT KEY QUEST IN 5 TRIES!!!)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on May 5, 2014 wrote:
Hours of Farming!
Not Worth it!
Low Drop Rates!
I could think of more, but it would be insulting at that point.
Anyway, with the upcoming update, i doubt this problem will continue, seeing as the things companined about most are now reduced (buffs, etc.)

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Quinn Quincy, 41 (I FINISHED THE DREADED INIOSHI BANDIT KEY QUEST IN 5 TRIES!!!)
Not really. I have a ton of drops that give each of my pirates Purge Magic. It's definitely worth it. All it depends on is luck, battle strategy, and patience.