Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Alt Codes

AuthorMessage
Captain
May 02, 2009
In the update, it said that we we're now able to use the Alt Codes to generate special characters, but what are the Alt Codes and how do you use them?

Administrator
Alt Codes are ways of accenting certain letters. For instance the "ñ" in Señor! You can create this special character by holding down the Alt key and pressing the numbers 0124 on your number pad.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 4, 2013 wrote:
Alt Codes are ways of accenting certain letters. For instance the "ñ" in Señor! You can create this special character by holding down the Alt key and pressing the numbers 0124 on your number pad.
Jack,

Arent there concerns about how these will be used to circumvent chat filters?
I can think of several alt codes that could be used to accomodate harsh profanities almost immediately.
(I used to have to deal with this on a teleconference chat board)

Warning to all, if I see profanity, I dont care how you mispelled it, im reporting it!!!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Captain
May 02, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 4, 2013 wrote:
Is the number pad that square of numbers on a Desktop's keyboard? Because I use a laptop and the numbers are arranged at the top, will it still work for those numbers?

Administrator
Dr Zeppers on Mar 4, 2013 wrote:
Jack,

Arent there concerns about how these will be used to circumvent chat filters?
I can think of several alt codes that could be used to accomodate harsh profanities almost immediately.
(I used to have to deal with this on a teleconference chat board)

Warning to all, if I see profanity, I dont care how you mispelled it, im reporting it!!!
Unfortunately the use of Alt Codes in the previous build was inserting a lot of extra garbage text information into chat and it needed to be fixed. Also, the alt codes only work with 18+ chat. With that in mind, we definitely want to ensure they aren't used to circumvent chat filters. Thank you and please use the report button if you see players circumventing chat filters. We have a number of profanity filters already in place that take this into account, but as you know, some bad seeds can be very creative. We will continue to add more "creative profanity" possibilities to our filters over time.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*