Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bones Mcgee promotion #1

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Hello fellow pirates and developers!

I was wondering why we only get to choose one new epic for Bones at his first promotion? I thought it was normal to get to pick 2 after the first promotion and 1 after the 2nd.

Also noticed that the options for his epics were the normal musketeer epics, but at the last spot was "Critical Strike" Ability which goes on his bar in battle if I were to pick it. My question is why do we have to "waste" an epic choice for the Crit Strike ability? Shouldn't he automatically get that added to his already epics when he promotes? (Similiar to how for example Kan Po auto learns Rouse after his first promotion).

I'm trying to not use Bonnie Anne again - Since I already used her on my Swashbuckler and she is becoming overated. But its very hard to use another Musketeer companion in the game when they are all under par to Bonnie Annes greatness. All companions side or main quest related should get a chance to "shine".

So yea, basically my question is, is it a mistake that we have to train "waste" an epic on bones mcgee to get the crit strike ability? And why does he only get to learn 1 epic after his first promotion while many other companions get to learn 2?

Thanks a bunch!

Johnny

Johnny - Pirate101 Community Leader
Community Leader
This seems obvious to me.

No 2 companions are technically alike.

Bonnie Anne is a major companion in the game. Plays a major role throughout the entire storyline.

Bones McGee is basically an "extra", doesnt have a real "role" in the story line.

Why should he be the same as Bonnie Anne?

I can appreciate you trying to change things up for your own game play, but I would give up expecting any of the typical companions picked up along the way as being anywhere near "equal" to main storyline companions.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
May 06, 2009
Pirates o the Spir... on Jan 31, 2013 wrote:
Hello fellow pirates and developers!

I was wondering why we only get to choose one new epic for Bones at his first promotion? I thought it was normal to get to pick 2 after the first promotion and 1 after the 2nd.

Also noticed that the options for his epics were the normal musketeer epics, but at the last spot was "Critical Strike" Ability which goes on his bar in battle if I were to pick it. My question is why do we have to "waste" an epic choice for the Crit Strike ability? Shouldn't he automatically get that added to his already epics when he promotes? (Similiar to how for example Kan Po auto learns Rouse after his first promotion).

I'm trying to not use Bonnie Anne again - Since I already used her on my Swashbuckler and she is becoming overated. But its very hard to use another Musketeer companion in the game when they are all under par to Bonnie Annes greatness. All companions side or main quest related should get a chance to "shine".

So yea, basically my question is, is it a mistake that we have to train "waste" an epic on bones mcgee to get the crit strike ability? And why does he only get to learn 1 epic after his first promotion while many other companions get to learn 2?

Thanks a bunch!

Johnny
Not really liking how you use waste. That's all I want to say first. lol

Now on to real piratin' buisness. I think you are getting mixed up between the 3 types of companions that I have seen:

Main Line Companions
Side Companions
'Epic' Side Companions

Main Line Companions such as Kobe Yojimbo, Kan Po, Bonnie Ann, etc. by nature will gain a new epic power automatically and will get to learn 2 new talents on their first. This allows them to play a higher role in the story line it self as well as entertain use with their AWESOMENESS!!! (Ahem).

Side Companions are not like the Main Line Companions. Typically a Side Companion will have 1, 2, or no promotions that you have to pay gold for and will gain fewer powers or epics compared to Main Line Companions. Most times they're not automatically equiped with gaining a new power. While Kan Po may automatically learn Rouse and Sneak Attack or Old Scratch getting Jobu's Kiss right on the fly, this would be different from say Monquistador Explorer Companion, a Side Buccaneer Companion with only one promotion and gains nothing more than one new epic. It is no mistake that you will see some side companions with Critical Strikes or some kind of power within their arsonal. This is also not the first time I've seen it. There are countless others: Cat Pirate Companion (retired), ThunderHoof, etc. This doesn't make Side Companions any less great than Main Companions but it is a hinderance to an extant.

Epic Side Companions are very similar to Main Line Companions but you have to pay for their promotions. Examples include: Holkun Doomhorn, Itzen Kaan, Chilam Bak, Lucy Sterling, Sergent Shepard, Caracticus, Temujin, Keisuke, Zang Cha, Kawil Doomclaw, Lemba Moonskull, etc. etc. The list goes on. Basically many Crown boughten companions and the five new pack ones. These companions will automatically gain new or updated powers (if they have one) and will go by the 2 epics at Promo #1 and 1 epic and Promo #2 rule (Ridolfo Capoferro is a special case all together with 3 promos, one epic per promo, and has Critical Strike as one of the epics.)

So as you can see not all companions are the same. Some have those 2 promos and can get 3 new epics. Others not so much. Does this make side companions completely useless? No not really, but some may not be on your top 4 as others. Me personally, I don't mind having an Epic Move be learned during their promotion if it's a side companion. Only makes them more desirable to me.

If you're looking for another Musketeer Companion other then Bonnie Ann, I would recommend Rooster Cogburn in Cooper's Roost in Cool Ranch. You have to go through a series of quests before you get him. It is best to get him when you're level 50 so you don't have to spend so many 'Points on him. He can be pretty deadly to an enemy if you use him well.

Good Hunting!

Cunning Finnigan Sharp
Level 17 Swashbuckler

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
All companions are not created equal, nor do they develop equally. As a general rule, the starting companions, the companions you recruit when you begin the search for Gunn's gold (Sarah Steele, etc.) the "origins" companions rescued from the Presidio, and companions everyone picks up (like Bonny Anne) are superior in terms of feats than companions that go only to one class and the crown companions*. Bones only goes to witchdoctors, so he is not as powerful as Anne.

As for Critical Strike... I do not consider it a waste. In the latter part of Cool Ranch and in Mooshoo the enemy becomes increasingly dodgy. I have learned not to use my critical strikes early on, but to use them to make sure that only one companion needs to target a badly wounded opponent to put it down. Flanking attacks, repostes, etc. can all miss. Sometimes you really want to make sure an attack hits.

If you want a really good musketeer who isn't Bonnie Anne, if you don't mind spending some crowns I recommend the Crown Shop version of Emmet (Exeter?). Those otters know how to shoot!

-Michael

*Well, except for the crown companions who are the clones of the starting companions, Gunn's treasure companions, etc.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Well, think to companions wich don't get any promotion at all or get just one epic talent, or a Ridolfo Capodiferro, wich could get only passive epics (for sure would not waste a point on a crit epic, but it has it available for training if someoen wants to waste points!), wich costs 3 upgrades, but it is good same even without active skills (one of my favoured infact, passives are more powerrful of actives in any case in my opinion). Bones is a support companion for those random fights , one of the many we get, would be not fair if only one class would get a companion at par to Bonnie for free meantime all can access to Bonnie .

Community Leader
Thank you everyone for writing back! :)

Your feedback is appreciated.

It just comes down to that its very discouraging to me to try and use another musketeer companion and know they will never be good as Bonnie Anne which doesn't seem right. I know she is a main companion who has dialogue voice etc, but still I would like to switch it up on each of my pirates, I already leveled her to 50 on my swash and I decided to try Bones this time. Don't get me wrong his gun shots are powerful and he crits alot, but I just feel he should get the crit strike talent auto instead of having to use an epic on it.

I got Rooster Cogburn on my Swashy, he is really cool, I dont think he has a promotion though which is why I chose to stick with Bones since I am a Witchdoc (Undead comps ftw!) and he has 2 promotions.

Developer
The posters above got it mostly right.

You should not expect any companion (musketeer or otherwise) to be as good as Bonnie Anne. She is probably the closest in power to your own character as you are going to see. (And she will continue to get cooler and cooler-- trust me, I've seen the concept art for the upcoming expansions!)

But for a close second, try Louis le Bisque. If you are not playing a musketeer, you will have to get him in the crowns shop under the name of Pepe le Torteau.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Jan 31, 2013 wrote:
The posters above got it mostly right.

You should not expect any companion (musketeer or otherwise) to be as good as Bonnie Anne. She is probably the closest in power to your own character as you are going to see. (And she will continue to get cooler and cooler-- trust me, I've seen the concept art for the upcoming expansions!)

But for a close second, try Louis le Bisque. If you are not playing a musketeer, you will have to get him in the crowns shop under the name of Pepe le Torteau.
Thanks for commenting Ratbeard. :)

Well then, I guess I will stick with Bonnie Anne since she is the most powerful Musk in the game. Her last promo look is epic, I wonder how the future ones will top that? Cant wait.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks for this insightful post and the original poster for asking the question.
I really like to use other Musketeers as well but since Bonnie is strongest and Louis is a second for game play purposes I'll run with Louis Le Bisque, change it up a bit. If only side companions came with decent epics to start with to compliment the fact they won't in the end measure up to their main line counterparts. I also look forward to seeing future promotions....

Ciao!

- Brave Sam Laveer/ Alric Ravensinger