Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easter Eggs

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 07, 2009
Melody Fisher on Oct 19, 2012 wrote:
Did anyone else catch the "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" reference in the ancient ruins. You mention the Golden Monkey and the monkies reply exactly like the "frenchmen" in the castle.
OMG yeah i saw that! So funny...

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
After playing Pirate101 and Wizard101 for 5 years (going 6 years in a few months), is that both games are full of easter eggs and references to all sorts of things.

Quentin Davenport, lvl 62

Ensign
Oct 19, 2012
Mark Laveer on May 28, 2013 wrote:
Naturally, every book is based off of a specific source.

Book 1: Treasure Island

Book 2: Heart of Darkness

Book 3: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Book 4: Unknown

Book 5: Wild West

Book 6: Zorro

Book 7: The Duke of Death

Book 8: That old song called Desperately Seeking Sally, or A New Hope.

Book 9: Back to the Wild West.

Book 10: Treasure Island with a ghostly twist, or maybe the Undead Gunslinger.

Book 11: Japanese and Chinese culture, including Kabuki dancing and lots of other stuff.

Book 12: Even more Japanese and Chinese culture.

Book 13: Another A New Hope, or maybe something else.

Book 14: I don't know, maybe Greek Mythology.
Book 8 has some reference to Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, if you think of Governor Stanley as Governor Swann, Mabel being Elizabeth Swann and Catbeard having a bit of reference to Barbossa (since Barbossa had Elizabeth kidnapped).

Book 9 has reference to The Magnificent Seven (the movie) for obvious reasons. Also, all seven have references to real life people. Wild Bill Peacock was based on James Butler 'Wild Bill' Hickok, Jane Canary is based on Martha Jane 'Calamity Jane' Canary, Duck Holliday is based on John Henry 'Doc' Holliday, Buffalo Bill is based on William Frederick 'Buffalo Bill' Cody, Bat Masterson is based on William Barclay 'Bat' Masterson, Billy the Kid is based on William Henry 'Billy the Kid' McCarty (or Antrim or Bonney or whatever) and Wyatt Chirp is based on Wyatt Earp. This is slightly off this topic, but Jim Masterson is based on Bat's real life brother James Masterson.

Book 10 also has references to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (and At World's End too), with Captain Blood being Davy Jones and the hand being a slight reference to Davy Jones' heart.

Book 14 has a lot of mixed Greek Mythology, Chapter 1 being based on The Illiad by Homer, Chapter 2 being based on Theseus and the Minotaur and I'm not sure about the other two since I haven't played through them yet, but I think Chapter 4 is based on The Odyssey, which I think is a sort-of sequel to The Illiad. I think this was also by Homer, but I'm not sure.

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
In cool ramch there is a refernce to country music in the quest: rinestone cowboy in marelybone there are many references to doctor who such as jack harkness and boxes saying fish sticks and custard along with the pet snack of that, and hart of gold is a reference to hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2014
In Marleybone, there are SEVERAL Doctor Who references, and three were quite clear.
There's a guy on the Isle of Fitch named Harkness, which we can assume is a reference to Jack Harkness.
In Bonnie Anne's third promotion, Ratbeard finds a barrel, and says: "Eww! Fish fingers and custard? Who eats that?" Which is a clear reference to the Eleventh Doctor's signature food; Fish fingers and custard.
And there are two names that enemies can have randomly: Matt Smith, and David Tennant.

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
Here's one many might of not noticed:
On the Fire Ship the Prawns had planned to blow up Skull Island Harbor with, the admiral, Grand Admiral Prawn, is actually built off of this

Grand Admiral Prawn = Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn is from the Star Wars book series. Ironically I was reading Star Wars: Heir to the Empire when I found it. I laughed out old at that one, and so did my dad.

Quentin Davenport, lvl 65

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
The name of the character Merriweather Clark is a combination of the famous Merriweather Louis and William Clark (also simply known as Lewis and Clark).

*I apologize if someone had posted this beforehand. If so, I am not trying to take away from your post in any way, shape, or form.

- Jack

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
This may have already been pointed out, but the musketeer starter companion,Wing Chung, is a reference to a song:

Everybody Wing Chung tonight,
Everybody Wing Chung!

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2012
Monty Python reference: In the Ophidian puppet show there are the snakes on the wall doing what the French people did in Monty Python The Holy Grail. That gave me a chuckle as they just sat there gloating :D

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Fearless Finnagan on Jan 18, 2015 wrote:
This may have already been pointed out, but the musketeer starter companion,Wing Chung, is a reference to a song:

Everybody Wing Chung!
Wing Chun is also a form of martial arts. It is solely meant to help a small opponent take down a larger opponent. Popular users include Ip Man and Batman.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Jan 18, 2015 wrote:

Everybody Wing Chung!
That's Wang Chung

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 23, 2015 wrote:
That's Wang Chung
Oh... Guess I don't listen close enough XD. Thank you for pointing it out

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
Ninja Phoenix123 on Aug 21, 2014 wrote:
I am sure everyone knows this but I just thought I might say it anyway. All the worlds are based off real countries in real life like Mooshu, Japan some people might say it is China but listening to some companions and characters say Japanese words like Arigato or something like that just gives it away.
Cool Ranch-Old Western times.
Marleybone-London( Big Ben).
Monquista-Spain.
Aquila-Old Greek legends.
Valencia-I don't really remember but if someone told me it would be great.
Mooshu is a mix of both Japan and China, I have been looking around on my characters previously and I noticed panda's eating leaves in trees. For Japan most of the NPC's use Japanese like Arigato. I just wanted to fix my post up from last year a bit.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Black Adder's shoes.
That should be enough of an explanation.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2011
Anyone notice how Peurto Mico sounds a lot like Peurto Rico?

Ensign
Nov 27, 2009
Clumsy Vivi on Dec 5, 2012 wrote:
if you have heard the tv show called Naruto ( not shippuden ) from like episodes 10-20 there is a guy named Haku ( he dies on episode 18 ) and in pirate101 there is a boss named Haku
Naruto and Naruto Shippuden are the same thing just one is farther into his life he got a little older.

Ensign
Nov 27, 2009
TalonDevereaux68 on Mar 15, 2013 wrote:
1) HP Lovecraft's dark god, Cthulu shows up in a lot of puppet shows.

2) Fin Dorsal is a play on Vin Diesel's movie character, Riddick, right down to the specialized blades.

4) Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah is pulled from an episode from The Jetsons. That cartoon is probably older than most of the players on this game.

5) The three lieutenants that run the Rat Pack out of Flotsam are based on the actual Rat Pack. More specifically Rat Pack members Sammy Davis, Jr. (Sammy Davies), Dean Martin (Martin Dean), and Frank "Ol' Blue Eyes" Sinatra (Frankie Blue-Eyes.)

6) The Rat Pack gang in Scrimshaw are known as the Rats of Nim. This is taken from an old animated movie The Secret of NIMH, which is based on an old children's book, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. NIMH stands for the National Institute of Mental Health.

7) My favorite easter egg is Chumba Wumba. He is named after a British alternative band called Chumbawumba.

Also, you can't win the fight against Chumba by attacking him directly because he always gets back up. This is taken from Chumbawumba's song "Tubthumping."

Opening lyrics of the song are. "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You ain't ever gonna keep me down."

Bonnie and Ol' Scratch even paraphrase those lyrics in the cut dialogue during the fight.
Cthulu is also in wizard101 now as a death spell as a different name

-Bloody Blaze lvl 61

wizard101-Blaze Battleblade lvl 100 Death

Ensign
Nov 01, 2012
Ensign
Feb 17, 2009
Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
So Deacon's ship is The Erebus, and I'm pretty sure Rook's ship is The Terror.

The Erebus and The Terror were also the ships of the Franklin Expedition which disappeared almost 200 years ago in the Canadian Arctic, while searching for the Northwest Passage.

Recently, the Canadian government found one of the two ships, it's just not known if it is The Erebus or The Terror.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
So Deacon's ship is The Erebus, and I'm pretty sure Rook's ship is The Terror.

The Erebus and The Terror were also the ships of the Franklin Expedition which disappeared almost 200 years ago in the Canadian Arctic, while searching for the Northwest Passage.

Recently, the Canadian government found one of the two ships, it's just not known if it is The Erebus or The Terror.
Actually, Rooke's flag ship is the Executioner; unless you're referring to the ship in the vortex where we fight Finn and recover the first piece of the map?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
Actually, Rooke's flag ship is the Executioner; unless you're referring to the ship in the vortex where we fight Finn and recover the first piece of the map?
Thank you, I wasn't sure if Rooke's ship was the Terror, but I know I have seen a ship named The Terror somewhere in the skyways. Perhaps it was just a random Armada ship.

Ensign
Aug 09, 2013
I'm not sure if it has been said before, and it is fairly obvious and uninteresting, but in Marleybone you have the rebel soldiers called the 'Kurgha's. This represents the Nepalese soldiers called the 'Gurkha's' who fought for the British through many of our wars.

Petty Officer
Oct 13, 2012
In Mooshu most off the characters are named after Asian food.