Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Major lag problems

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I'm enjoying my piratin' adventures in the Skyways, but there appears to be lagging problems that somehow affect the way I set my course on my ship, maybe even unintentionally drags me into onboard combat with the Skyway creatures and/or broadside combat with the tough ships that are below the Nautical Level and Character Level and/or above, while I was trying to steer to safety on the Windlanes. This REALLY bothers me, and pretty much other Pirates. Can anybody PLEASE smooth out those lag problems so I may continue my Skyway trips without being drawn into combat by accident? Thanks so much for keeping the game smooth sailin' for all! (Ha ha! Get it? Ship pun?)

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
The lag can be from several factors:

(1) Everyone is playing P101, and the servers cause a lag
(2) Possible that P101 is taking up too much resources on your computer. Be sure to have all other app windows closed
(3) Even though there is a minimum requirement for the graphics card, I find that even with a slightly better card, there can still be lag with the graphics and playability. Check to make sure your graphic card drivers are up-to-date as well.
(4) Game resolution. If you go into P101 options (drop down menu at the top of your P101 game & look for the gear icon), click on the two monitor screen icons on the far left in options. You may want to lower your resolution, turn off full-screen, change geometrics to 'low', shadowing to 'off', etc. Play around with it to find out what might work best for you.

Of course, your computer and graphics card need to meet the minimum requirement that KI posted for the game, but I find that even though my computer is much better than the minimum, I still experience lag, especially when I'm questing with other people.

Hope this helps!

Ensign
Dec 30, 2011
Have to agree with this. Many times when I'm switching from one skyway to the next, the lag is so great that by the time I can see anything again, I'm battling with sharks on board or another ship is hitting me. In beta, I didn't have the lag so I can only assume it's because there is so much traffic now. Thing is, even when I go to another realm, I can have this problem.

I'll start out in the wind lane when I reach the separation between skyways but by the time I get to the other side, (and I can hear things, I just can't see them), because of the lag, I'm no longer in the wind lane. I've taken to hitting the space bar as soon as I hear sound hoping it will stop the ship. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

When this goes live for everyone, I wonder if the extra traffic will cause even more lag.

Ensign
Jan 11, 2012
PavlovsFavoriteDog on Oct 12, 2012 wrote:
Have to agree with this. Many times when I'm switching from one skyway to the next, the lag is so great that by the time I can see anything again, I'm battling with sharks on board or another ship is hitting me. In beta, I didn't have the lag so I can only assume it's because there is so much traffic now. Thing is, even when I go to another realm, I can have this problem.

I'll start out in the wind lane when I reach the separation between skyways but by the time I get to the other side, (and I can hear things, I just can't see them), because of the lag, I'm no longer in the wind lane. I've taken to hitting the space bar as soon as I hear sound hoping it will stop the ship. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

When this goes live for everyone, I wonder if the extra traffic will cause even more lag.
careful with the spacebar, i tried that a few times and twice i ended up stranded between skyways, not able to sail anywhere, worst part is i can see my destination....

Ensign
Dec 30, 2011
allanontheseer on Oct 12, 2012 wrote:
careful with the spacebar, i tried that a few times and twice i ended up stranded between skyways, not able to sail anywhere, worst part is i can see my destination....
I'll take that in to consideration.

Lag been happening a lot today. I was going to the Dragonspyre sky way and by the time I finally was able to see anything, (and hitting space bar did nothing for me), I was face first in a tornado and a bunch of skeleton dragons on my ship trying to kill me. Last time I tell them their world is beautiful.

Ensign
May 04, 2011
PavlovsFavoriteDog on Oct 12, 2012 wrote:

Yes It is terrible , Sadly 2 friends from Wiz, can hardly get anywhere with out lag issues . We understand its new . But hope for some kind of Answers ! PS. i am very disappointed that 10,000 gold was taken to change my pets name without warning ! I was really waning to get the next ship ! :( something like a ( are you sure ) here would be nice ! i only had 13.000 and would not spend 2/3 to change my pets name ! Ellie

Community Leader
BrynnerOfReign on Oct 12, 2012 wrote:
The lag can be from several factors:

(1) Everyone is playing P101, and the servers cause a lag
(2) Possible that P101 is taking up too much resources on your computer. Be sure to have all other app windows closed
(3) Even though there is a minimum requirement for the graphics card, I find that even with a slightly better card, there can still be lag with the graphics and playability. Check to make sure your graphic card drivers are up-to-date as well.
(4) Game resolution. If you go into P101 options (drop down menu at the top of your P101 game & look for the gear icon), click on the two monitor screen icons on the far left in options. You may want to lower your resolution, turn off full-screen, change geometrics to 'low', shadowing to 'off', etc. Play around with it to find out what might work best for you.

Of course, your computer and graphics card need to meet the minimum requirement that KI posted for the game, but I find that even though my computer is much better than the minimum, I still experience lag, especially when I'm questing with other people.

Hope this helps!
I agree, you can't always assume it's the game and not you.

Another thing you might consider is changing which realm you're traveling in. If you're in Avery and so is everyone else, you're competing for resources. If you change your realm to one of the other many empty realms you will find better response time.

To change realms
  • 1. Go to the top of the screen to access the game menu. Select the “Bolt” icon at the end of the menu. Then select the Options label in the pop up window.

• 2. Select the 2nd to the last icon, the one that looks like Earth. The Realm you are in will appear above the list on the left side of the pop-up window. To change to a different world, select the one that appeals to you and then click the “Go To Realm” button at the bottom of the list.

• 3. Go back to the game and you should see some improvement.

• Community Leader
    Screen transitions as you change from Skyway to Skyway definately seem to lag.
    For me its a situation where I absolutely know its not my computer/hardware, as it is a brand new cutting edge gaming machine. Loads the game literally in seconds.
    Despite having GBs of ram to spare, and a cutting edge videocard, and a solid state drive (no harddrive, no moving parts). These screens can still take up to a minute to load.
    IMO, this can only be due either my own connection (which has never been a problem elsewheres), or with the game/code or server resources.
    I certainly hope they can optimize it. One thing I am aware of. If you are riding on someone elses ship, be sure and bottle your ship, as it will speed up the transitions (another hint to me that its a matter of the server loading data, not our systems).

Only place this had caused issues for us really in the past was our first trip to Avernus, at least they moved those bone dragons!!! (or had, last time I ventured through on test)

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
    Piratey parodies I like to make.
    I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
    Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
    Dread Pirate
    Jun 13, 2011
    Dr Zeppers on Oct 15, 2012 wrote:
    Screen transitions as you change from Skyway to Skyway definately seem to lag.
    For me its a situation where I absolutely know its not my computer/hardware, as it is a brand new cutting edge gaming machine. Loads the game literally in seconds.
    Despite having GBs of ram to spare, and a cutting edge videocard, and a solid state drive (no harddrive, no moving parts). These screens can still take up to a minute to load.
    IMO, this can only be due either my own connection (which has never been a problem elsewheres), or with the game/code or server resources.
    I certainly hope they can optimize it. One thing I am aware of. If you are riding on someone elses ship, be sure and bottle your ship, as it will speed up the transitions (another hint to me that its a matter of the server loading data, not our systems).

Only place this had caused issues for us really in the past was our first trip to Avernus, at least they moved those bone dragons!!! (or had, last time I ventured through on test)
    Well, I may have noticed that. You're right about one thing, though. We all can expect KI to smooth out these lag problems real soon. Less lag, less mistakes.