Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why does Sarah Steele default with Repel Borders?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
I've been asking this question to myself for a long time... why does sarah steele have repel borders at default?
She is a Swashbuckler. Not a Privateer. Privateers train repel borders as one of their class only moves. Not swashbucklers. So why exactly does she default with the talent.
This is down right annoying in PvP as all you have to do to stop a hidden sarah steele is walk right up to her. Heck, even pets can do it. Walk in darkness with her is remotely useless because it can be removed by any player if they step up to her. Worst case scenario, a pet walks up to her, she repels it, and then it's the enemies turn, allowing them to rush her with none of her safety because of a lucky pet move.

This Really should be changed. Give her something more swashbuckler-ey, like riposte, or first strike by default. But just not repel borders -_-

Merciless Jean Percy, 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DeathWiz101378 on Sep 29, 2015 wrote:
I've been asking this question to myself for a long time... why does sarah steele have repel borders at default?
She is a Swashbuckler. Not a Privateer. Privateers train repel borders as one of their class only moves. Not swashbucklers. So why exactly does she default with the talent.
This is down right annoying in PvP as all you have to do to stop a hidden sarah steele is walk right up to her. Heck, even pets can do it. Walk in darkness with her is remotely useless because it can be removed by any player if they step up to her. Worst case scenario, a pet walks up to her, she repels it, and then it's the enemies turn, allowing them to rush her with none of her safety because of a lucky pet move.

This Really should be changed. Give her something more swashbuckler-ey, like riposte, or first strike by default. But just not repel borders -_-

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Good question, but I think you answered it, Sarah has Repel Boarders so it can be removed in PVP. Just like Fan Flanders has Flanking ( a buccaneer talent ).

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
And why do you have to hide right away? Wait your enemies are next to her.

She's squishy? Then use fort.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
anecorbie on Sep 29, 2015 wrote:
Good question, but I think you answered it, Sarah has Repel Boarders so it can be removed in PVP. Just like Fan Flanders has Flanking ( a buccaneer talent ).
Just saying, Flanking is 100% a swashbuckler talent. They are the only ones who can get Flanking 3 (reasonably), their Nef weapon grants Flanking and you require stabby (the swashbuckler's main weapon type), to learn it from the lost hoplite.

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
Personally I'm glad she has access to repel boarders, since odds are someday she will have access to rank 3, which I would then pair with riposte 3

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
I agree with how annoying it is, but I also see why it's there for PvP reasons (with everyone complaining about our Hides). However, I also agree that there are better alternatives, look at Kobe for example. He and Sarah both have the same exact Stats, just different starting Epics (he starts with First Strike). I can see how giving Sarah First Strike makes her a Kobe clone, but she can still learn Riposte to start instead, especially since her fighting style is centered completely around fencing.

I personally have grown to appreciate Repel Boarders on her though, it makes it harder for her to be targeted and attacked without consequence. Walk In Darkness with her should only be used as a defensive strategy imo, as (just like Kobe) she's extremely squishy when not dodging. I would give her Repel Boarders 2, Riposte 2 and First Strike 2 before moving to max those out in the future. Relentless and Bladestorm will be my final picks way later on down the road when we can train more Epics on our Companions, for me. Anyways, best of luck and don't give up on her, she just needs to be understood is all!

Until Next Time
Wolf
Lvl. 40

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
I agree with how annoying it is, but I also see why it's there for PvP reasons (with everyone complaining about our Hides). However, I also agree that there are better alternatives, look at Kobe for example. He and Sarah both have the same exact Stats, just different starting Epics (he starts with First Strike). I can see how giving Sarah First Strike makes her a Kobe clone, but she can still learn Riposte to start instead, especially since her fighting style is centered completely around fencing.

I personally have grown to appreciate Repel Boarders on her though, it makes it harder for her to be targeted and attacked without consequence. Walk In Darkness with her should only be used as a defensive strategy imo, as (just like Kobe) she's extremely squishy when not dodging. I would give her Repel Boarders 2, Riposte 2 and First Strike 2 before moving to max those out in the future. Relentless and Bladestorm will be my final picks way later on down the road when we can train more Epics on our Companions, for me. Anyways, best of luck and don't give up on her, she just needs to be understood is all!

Until Next Time
Wolf
Lvl. 40
Kobe can't hide, but the Kan Po Clone can. Just saying.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Voodoo Cornelius on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
Kobe can't hide, but the Kan Po Clone can. Just saying.
True, I should've stated their powers being different as well. My mistake.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
I find it ironic that this one epic Sarah Steele begins with is why I love using her in PvP, specifically ranked 1v1.

Being the curious and daring swashbuckler I am, I have found sarah steele to be probably the most useful "wild card" companion on my specific ranked team of Fan, Sarah and Nausica.

It is BECAUSE she has such an easy way to remove her hidden is WHY I picked her. My opponent will be stuck with the decision, do I approach and waste her hidden (which is usually from black fog at first), or do I wait and continue to buff/shield? Either way, I benefit greatly since
1) if repel boarders criticals with her shadowdance, she can chain bladestorms and basically half health an unshielded unit,
2) I can hide immediately again, still having my 2 guaranteed criticals left, and
3) I can ONE ROUND buccaneer companions (such as goronado or peter quint) with First Strike 3, Blade Storm 2, Riposte and repel boarders.

In other words, Sarah steele is a huge threat, no matter how quickly she can fall, BECAUSE she has that "SO-SO" epic she starts with. It is up to your opponent if they want to take her out of hidden and play the double hide game she can, but 4 times out of 5, unless summons are prominent in the early rounds, she can land a Hidden Super hit (more or less 1.5k guaranteed damage) on a unit of her choice, chaining into a single bladestorm, and potentially first strikes and riposte if the target has vengeance strike.

Why wouldn't I want to use Sarah Steele? Sure, no relentless and repel boarders is still "eh", but when you really make her shine, you'll see why I wouldn't hesitate to use sarah in the majority of any matchups I am in.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Wolf SkullRider on Oct 8, 2015 wrote:
I find it ironic that this one epic Sarah Steele begins with is why I love using her in PvP, specifically ranked 1v1.

Being the curious and daring swashbuckler I am, I have found sarah steele to be probably the most useful "wild card" companion on my specific ranked team of Fan, Sarah and Nausica.

It is BECAUSE she has such an easy way to remove her hidden is WHY I picked her. My opponent will be stuck with the decision, do I approach and waste her hidden (which is usually from black fog at first), or do I wait and continue to buff/shield? Either way, I benefit greatly since
1) if repel boarders criticals with her shadowdance, she can chain bladestorms and basically half health an unshielded unit,
2) I can hide immediately again, still having my 2 guaranteed criticals left, and
3) I can ONE ROUND buccaneer companions (such as goronado or peter quint) with First Strike 3, Blade Storm 2, Riposte and repel boarders.

In other words, Sarah steele is a huge threat, no matter how quickly she can fall, BECAUSE she has that "SO-SO" epic she starts with. It is up to your opponent if they want to take her out of hidden and play the double hide game she can, but 4 times out of 5, unless summons are prominent in the early rounds, she can land a Hidden Super hit (more or less 1.5k guaranteed damage) on a unit of her choice, chaining into a single bladestorm, and potentially first strikes and riposte if the target has vengeance strike.

Why wouldn't I want to use Sarah Steele? Sure, no relentless and repel boarders is still "eh", but when you really make her shine, you'll see why I wouldn't hesitate to use sarah in the majority of any matchups I am in.
That's actually a good reasoning :)

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Wolf SkullRider on Oct 8, 2015 wrote:

Honestly, you just made me want to drag her out and use her again only reason I don't, currently, is just because my play-style is different; I like more direct control over my Companions but how you're suggesting to use her is amazing! This is pro level right here!