Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Nautical Guantlet

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 04, 2010
I came, I saw, I conquered.

I was excited - at first. But then it turned not so happy an experience.

After 5 false starts with people leaving after the first boarding of a ship I finally found a group of people who would actually finish the instance. Is there no way to set a penalty for people who simply port out of these dungeons and turn around and do team up again?

Talking with the my fellow team mates we likened it to a Mini Moo tower experience only with ship battles thrown into the mix. Battle after battle that seemed non stop. But the hype of great rewards, SCRIP, gold. Well certainly if there was no epic equipment or gear like the Moo tower it would be EPIC scrip. Some of us want the scrip ship cabin.

So we got gold, a nice amount. We got a dribble of scrip, and some furniture. Nice furniture by the way but my house and ship were furnished so I bought another house to put it in. I digress.

The ship battles could not have been done without a group. All boss level ships 5 at a time. The boarding was not a walk in the park with descent level opponents. All in all good solid battles to be had. But where were the rewards???? A dribble of scrip, a pocket of gold and some nice furniture are not really what I expected. I expected SCRIP not scrip. And what happened to group chests?? The boarding was a team effort but no group chests.

So I was disappointed very much. It was fun and an experience but not something I would do again because of the lack of reward for the amount of effort involved. I can get just as much, or more, scrip farming ships with less effort. Furniture I can buy. And the Moo tower holds epic rewards for epic effort.

Thanks though for the effort involved but the rewards simply do not justify the effort to reach the end.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
crowmagus on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:

After 5 false starts with people leaving after the first boarding of a ship I finally found a group of people who would actually finish the instance. Is there no way to set a penalty for people who simply port out of these dungeons and turn around and do team up again?

Talking with the my fellow team mates we likened it to a Mini Moo tower experience only with ship battles thrown into the mix. Battle after battle that seemed non stop. But the hype of great rewards, SCRIP, gold. Well certainly if there was no epic equipment or gear like the Moo tower it would be EPIC scrip. Some of us want the scrip ship cabin.

So we got gold, a nice amount. We got a dribble of scrip, and some furniture. Nice furniture by the way but my house and ship were furnished so I bought another house to put it in. I digress.

The ship battles could not have been done without a group. All boss level ships 5 at a time. The boarding was not a walk in the park with descent level opponents. All in all good solid battles to be had. But where were the rewards???? A dribble of scrip, a pocket of gold and some nice furniture are not really what I expected. I expected SCRIP not scrip. And what happened to group chests?? The boarding was a team effort but no group chests.

So I was disappointed very much. It was fun and an experience but not something I would do again because of the lack of reward for the amount of effort involved. I can get just as much, or more, scrip farming ships with less effort. Furniture I can buy. And the Moo tower holds epic rewards for epic effort.

Thanks though for the effort involved but the rewards simply do not justify the effort to reach the end.
You did this once? In Moo Manchu's Tower if you did just one tower run, you would not be likely to get the 'epic' rewards from the Nef-5 or Moo.
I know from test that there are unique pets that can be dropped from these boss ships, and just because you haven't yet encountered 'epic' items, doesn't mean they're not on the loot table.
This is meant to be a game experience for those who don't want to do Ranked PVP.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
It IS possible to solo the Gauntlet - I've done it twice. Sure, it takes about four hours, but I think with a different horn, it might go quicker. You just need to sit back, watch the pack and pick off the slowpoke at the back of the line, then haul your ship backward out of their patrol range so you don't draw any more of them off. They will follow you anywhere and never board, so you can play the orange/grey range game strategically.

With four team ships, the mob ship battles go pretty quickly, and the scrip rewards are about what you'd get from a skyway farming team. The boss battles are where you can get good amounts of Scrip dropped. I think you get better rewards the more pirates there are. Running solo I got mostly gold, with teammates I got more scrip and a pet, and some smuggled items from "that other game."

The more I do the Gauntlet, the more I believe that, while running with a full 4 person team is best, don't be afraid to go with just one other person - but slow down and be strategic in your mob ship battles. You do have to at least tolerate ship-to-ship for this to be fun. As an alternative to Player-vs-Player, it's good.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
crowmagus on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:

When I have boarded a ship or been boarded, there was NEVER any Group Plunder Chests.

I haven't done the Regatta yet (too low a level) but I think the way to get the best drops would be to blow the ships out or the air (unless they are invulnerable).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Helpful Pirate on Aug 7, 2015 wrote:
When I have boarded a ship or been boarded, there was NEVER any Group Plunder Chests.

I haven't done the Regatta yet (too low a level) but I think the way to get the best drops would be to blow the ships out or the air (unless they are invulnerable).
The boss ships are unsinkable, you must board them.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The Helpful Pirate on Aug 7, 2015 wrote:

I've never seen a Group Plunder Chest on a ship deck yet. I don't think they spawn for shipboard bosses, even if we think they should. Farming a boss like Doctor Noh for unique gear would be awesome if there was also Group Plunder.

Mob ships never board, and boss ships have to be boarded. It's the best combo of Nautical battle!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I enjoyed the Pirate's Regatta, even if the bosses & their boss ships are tough, it was really an amazing nautical gauntlet! Maybe if we see another new nautical gauntlet, I would like to see & fight a giant skyway boss creature, like the Scylla monster in The Passage.

My thoughts on this are there should be group plunder chests that may give out some more scrip to all Pirates that have conquered them, because, I would really like to see group chests in the Pirate's Regatta, have the enemy ships give out higher scrip amounts, & maybe see the gauntlet's enemies give unique looks to reflect what they are, like seeing a hybridized cross between a shark & a bull, reflecting the Bull Shark enemies not by just their creature names, E.G., & so on. Would you like to see the Regatta's enemies receiving unique appearances?

Ensign
Apr 11, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
You did this once? In Moo Manchu's Tower if you did just one tower run, you would not be likely to get the 'epic' rewards from the Nef-5 or Moo.
I know from test that there are unique pets that can be dropped from these boss ships, and just because you haven't yet encountered 'epic' items, doesn't mean they're not on the loot table.
This is meant to be a game experience for those who don't want to do Ranked PVP.
You mean melee combat, fog PVP? RIP Privy, RIP WD, RIP Shooter

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
It is obviously going to be improved to become the navy's moo Manchu especially once ship combat becomes more unique

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I got a respectable amount of scrip last night from the Regatta - 113 scrip, a nice amount of gold & some new furniture.

Ensign
Mar 04, 2010
Update:
OK I went back after reading the critical comments to my post.

You are correct Old Moo Manchu does not give the Epics away - I do two runs a day and still no staff.

Pets are not a drop I consider Epic. Yes everyone wants a unique pet and it is nice to get something new and different. Having over two dozen pets as I morph like a mad man, and sell off the duds, to create a super pet I do understand. But Unique is not Epic

The Scrip is marginally better than farming ships - on the average - for the time spent. Farming for scrip I realize an average, overall, of 3 scrip a ship. On the Regatta I realize an average of 5 scrip per ship. However 2-3 hours of the Regatta makes it a very low return on time invested, for me at least. I would rather go after Spartacos in Aquila. It takes me about 5 minutes to sink him and I average 8 scrip per battle, that is an average, sometimes it is more sometimes less. If I sink him 25 times I end up with considerably more scrip.

But the catch is that Spartacos does drop Epic equipment for ships. Spartacos drops some of the best gear for ships in the game. So it is a win win type of thing. Good scrip and a possibility of Manchu Tower level Epics.

I hate the idea of how people come onto the team and leave after a few minutes because it is too hard, or lasts too long or whatever. But it happens everywhere so I did not make that a consideration.

I was hoping for Epic scrip. More than I could realize by farming the ships across the spiral.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
I personally like the Seafoam Specter pet. The housing is a bonus since it is like Wizard101 origin housing, you can't find it anywhere else. I can confirm that you do get ship gear from the Regatta, and the gear is pretty useful. This is a pretty cool addition to the game if you don't like to PvP. With a well organized team, it only takes around an hour and a half. Plus you get a cool badge if you complete the gauntlet.

Have you seen anyone who gets all the 'Epic' gear from Moo Manchu on their first run? Not many people, right? I still have yet to get any of the Moo gear, or the Nefarious Knives. Keep persevering and eventually you will get what you want.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ElijahWaterVault on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
I personally like the Seafoam Specter pet. The housing is a bonus since it is like Wizard101 origin housing, you can't find it anywhere else. I can confirm that you do get ship gear from the Regatta, and the gear is pretty useful. This is a pretty cool addition to the game if you don't like to PvP. With a well organized team, it only takes around an hour and a half. Plus you get a cool badge if you complete the gauntlet.

Have you seen anyone who gets all the 'Epic' gear from Moo Manchu on their first run? Not many people, right? I still have yet to get any of the Moo gear, or the Nefarious Knives. Keep persevering and eventually you will get what you want.
What ship gear did you get? Details, please!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
What ship gear did you get? Details, please!
Just before Test ended, I got the Wheel of Concordance. And in Live I just got the 1st Rater Medium Armor.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
ElijahWaterVault on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:

No fair saying you get ship gear that's nice without telling us what you got, and how it's useful.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
though I LOVE this regatta..(and like to see more of them scattered across the spiral eventually :3) I have been having an odd problem when I play it lately? its like camera flys away in space? O.O? then zooms back to the fight >.< conveniently AFTER my teammates have picked their moves :/ then wooo zooming out again? back and forth then after a few turns of this(up to 7 :/ so far) the game then asks me if I want to stay in battle? sometimes clicking yar fixes it sometimes it just sets me zooming again..anybody else having this issue?
stormy jen silver