Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions too powerful?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 11, 2008
After the recent companion update, are certain companions too powerful? I have no problem with those previously useless side quests companions (such as Monquisitor) receiving a much needed buff, but why do already great companions need one? If not fixed, I think that this could ultimately break the game. Why? Because of the future of this game. How will companions continue to advance from this point? Will it end up so that companions have every epic unlocked? As it is now, much less variety exists in companions such as Bonnie Anne. Ultimately, the problem is too much power too quickly. We saw this, granted on a lower scale, when Wizard101 released Waterworks gear. Companions that were previously amazing, such as Zeena and Hawkules, are useless when compared to Bonnie Anne and Subodai.

I suggest that companions that receive regular promotions (such as Anne, Presidio Five, Starter Five, Class Trainer Five, etc.) not be affected by this update.

Ensign
Nov 19, 2014
The Privateer on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
After the recent companion update, are certain companions too powerful? I have no problem with those previously useless side quests companions (such as Monquisitor) receiving a much needed buff, but why do already great companions need one? If not fixed, I think that this could ultimately break the game. Why? Because of the future of this game. How will companions continue to advance from this point? Will it end up so that companions have every epic unlocked? As it is now, much less variety exists in companions such as Bonnie Anne. Ultimately, the problem is too much power too quickly. We saw this, granted on a lower scale, when Wizard101 released Waterworks gear. Companions that were previously amazing, such as Zeena and Hawkules, are useless when compared to Bonnie Anne and Subodai.

I suggest that companions that receive regular promotions (such as Anne, Presidio Five, Starter Five, Class Trainer Five, etc.) not be affected by this update.
I agree least it help (lower companion) be more epic (also know as animal type) I know what is El Tiburon best epic would be?

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
I actually think this is great! It makes the overall game just that more fun!

Plus I doubt they thought this through so poorly. They probably plan to either halt certain companions' promotions or add new epic talents for their future ones. This does not take anything away from the game, and personally it makes it all the more fun for me! :D Now the Smuggler's Arena won't be impossibly hard!

In all honesty though, I think the KI team has done a great job and this just adds to the fun. I also think that the reason Hawkules, Zeena or any of the eagle companions were not affected by this is because KI plans to have promotions for them. And I can't wait to see what they are!

Ensign
Nov 11, 2008
Based on the update notes, the purpose of the companion update was to balance companions. Previously, companions obtained in lower level worlds, in many cases, only had access to one or two epics. For companions that have no promotions, such as Crazy Monquisitor, this made them virtually useless. However, for companions obtained in lower level worlds that DO receive regular promotions, such as Bonnie Anne, it was not a problem -- they were just as good (even BETTER) than Aquilian companions. So why did they receive a buff? Bonnie Anne now has nine epics plus her crazy powers. How is that balanced? It's not. The truth is, prior to the update, Bonnie Anne, Old Scratch, Ratbeard, etc. were at no disadvantage. In fact, they had a major advantage! Post-update that advantage just got significantly larger.
Ratbeard, One-Eyed Jack, Falmea... surly you all realize that this is far from balanced.

Ensign
Oct 22, 2012
And I suggest for this epic update to not be changed. It balances out the playing field with the numerous enemies with so many epics.

Ensign
Aug 31, 2013
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jul 25, 2015 wrote:
I actually think this is great! It makes the overall game just that more fun!

Plus I doubt they thought this through so poorly. They probably plan to either halt certain companions' promotions or add new epic talents for their future ones. This does not take anything away from the game, and personally it makes it all the more fun for me! :D Now the Smuggler's Arena won't be impossibly hard!

In all honesty though, I think the KI team has done a great job and this just adds to the fun. I also think that the reason Hawkules, Zeena or any of the eagle companions were not affected by this is because KI plans to have promotions for them. And I can't wait to see what they are!
True! This has made the game more fun. Previously, our normal companions have had limited epic talents, and people were wishing they could give them this and give them that. Now, this is solved. Kudos to the blessed KI team!
They may probably get extreme difficulty battles to fit with this, fights we can never accomplish with the current live realm companions. This has made Nausica and the bears only have advantage in powers and and special talents, having a talent advantage as well was so much. I can tell our dear staff, very well done. You have indeed improved the low level game-play! Tested it myself with a Privateer in Cool Ranch, the sky snake queens were an enormous struggle, now their level of difficulty is moderate. Thanks!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
I agree whole heartedly. Not only is giving the starter and school companions that many buffs creating a gap. But it made the beast master grizzly bear companions totally useless. These companions were just barely above the average. As they should be considering how hard/lucky you have to be to get them. But with Anne and Subodai and all the other getting so many epics all at once. Now the bear companions are so weak by comparison. Even Baar who was considered over powers is now just average. Honsestly Peter Quint is in my opinion better than Baar now. And for musket people who thought Ghor was golden cause of his range boosting power are now disappointed. Why on earth would you use him when you have the over powered Anne and Chantal on your team. Even Nausica who people payed extra money for is now way weaker than all the others. If people pay extra for a companion shouldn't that companion be stronger than the base line starters at least?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Is this topic purely from a PvP perspective? Most players don't mind their PvE a little on the easier side?

More options may mean more fun.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ok, why are people complaining about this? First, players are saying our main companions "aren't good enough" and that bundle & crown shop companions are "OP". So when KI generously gives us the tools to improve our companions, now you complain that they may become too powerful and overcome the crown shop companions?
Can no one be satisfied or happy that something we've asked for has been given us?

Ensign
Oct 22, 2012
Thomas Sunhammer on Jul 26, 2015 wrote:
I agree whole heartedly. Not only is giving the starter and school companions that many buffs creating a gap. But it made the beast master grizzly bear companions totally useless. These companions were just barely above the average. As they should be considering how hard/lucky you have to be to get them. But with Anne and Subodai and all the other getting so many epics all at once. Now the bear companions are so weak by comparison. Even Baar who was considered over powers is now just average. Honsestly Peter Quint is in my opinion better than Baar now. And for musket people who thought Ghor was golden cause of his range boosting power are now disappointed. Why on earth would you use him when you have the over powered Anne and Chantal on your team. Even Nausica who people payed extra money for is now way weaker than all the others. If people pay extra for a companion shouldn't that companion be stronger than the base line starters at least?
So you are encouraging pay-to-win? I don't think we need that in pirate.

The companion buffs are great! I love it! Muah!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I for one, am not going to complain if my companions become more powerful.

If you think they make any given companion too powerful, bench them.

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
I think KI plans to create more promotions for such companions. That'll eventually lead to them evenning it out.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I personally don't think KI's intentions behind adding Epics was done to make things easier or make any members of our crew too powerful. I think they did it for other reasons.

For 1..we asked for it, well a lot of us did-- as far as making 'lesser' companions more viable & more enticing to use in PvE/PvP. For awhile now, there have been requests to make our lower world companions more effective & give them a respectable chance in the later worlds & PvP. There are some fantastic pre-MB/AQ companions in our rosters but most of them get passed over once we reach the later stages of PvE & PvP..they just weren't as 'productive' as their latter world counterparts (&/or 'core' companions).

Another reason seems to go hand in hand with what this update is all about..PvP & Ranked PvP. If say..a level 30 wanted to engage in some good ol' Ranked PvP, they would be choosing from a limited roster, with a very small selection of non to little promoted crew members. Small selection + not many promotions = very little Epics across that level 30's Ranked PvP roster, which many could say = a bit boring to watch or partake in. So, allowing those limited crew members (even our 'core' companions) access to a few more Epics in the early going, will spice things up a bit & make engaging in lower-mid Ranked PvP..much, much, much more exciting & interesting.

I'm actually glad that I only have 1 maxed pirate & that the rest of my pirates are under level 20. With all these new additions & changes to combat mechanics, the Epics pool & to PvP-- it surely will be exciting to bring those lower level pirates up, in the Spiral. I'll probably start my Ranked PvP 'career' with those lower level pirates & by even LvL 30-40, with the additional crew Epics, Ranked PvP should be quite enjoyable & exciting. And to be gaining rank & scrip at those levels, with those 'new toys' would be, I can only imagine, quite fun!

Oh, & a 3rd reason..they aren't done adding enemies/dungeon to the game & story.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 27, 2015 wrote:
Ok, why are people complaining about this? First, players are saying our main companions "aren't good enough" and that bundle & crown shop companions are "OP". So when KI generously gives us the tools to improve our companions, now you complain that they may become too powerful and overcome the crown shop companions?
Can no one be satisfied or happy that something we've asked for has been given us?
I, for one, am not too concerned about that. I actually enjoy having my companions receive more epics, especially creature companions. Makes them more capable in combat.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jul 27, 2015 wrote:
I think KI plans to create more promotions for such companions. That'll eventually lead to them evenning it out.
Right but it doesn't makes sense. They have the same number of promotions as the starters and school companions. They can be obtained around the same time if not sooner. And whats more is other pack companions like the dinosaurs ones you get from the tribal crew pack got more so why don't the bears. Like I understand Hawkulees and Zeena not having more yet since you get them so late. But these ones just don't make sense.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Companions should be good from the start but if a player has the money to spend they should get the benefits of using money on the game, but making free to play companions stronger then the ones people payed for is just insanity

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Thomas Sunhammer on Jul 27, 2015 wrote:
Right but it doesn't makes sense. They have the same number of promotions as the starters and school companions. They can be obtained around the same time if not sooner. And whats more is other pack companions like the dinosaurs ones you get from the tribal crew pack got more so why don't the bears. Like I understand Hawkulees and Zeena not having more yet since you get them so late. But these ones just don't make sense.
Perhaps they want to gear the grizzly companions more towards higher level players?

I don't know KI's reasons for this, but I'm pretty sure they didn't do it without considering the consequences. Either they're currently working on it or they plan to do so in the future, but I for one am grateful for the new companion epics. It makes everything about the game much more fun for both PvP and PvE.

The Grizzly Beast Pack companions are still the only companions with talents such as Eagle Eyes, Sneaky Sneaky, and Feeding Frenzy. This alone makes them much more unique than the other companions, and might even give a slight edge to those who know how to use them effectively. Why complain about that? They're still incredibly fun to use and still viable in PvP.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I personally do not think they're too powerful. I've been running groups through Aquila fights to test them out and by gosh, it's marvelous-- they can hold their own against manticores for the first time, and scores of other nasty critters fall before them There's some struggle, of course, but far better than it was previously. I can do nothing but applaud KI for this decision because even though it may put some companions at a disadvantage early on, they become much more powerful as time goes on and levels creep higher.

And to those of you who are crying "no fair!" because your precious pack and bundle companions are no longer the top tier, that's pay-to-win thinking, and from what I have seen, Pirate101 has not yet fallen into that trap. Nor should it; the game should be playable and manageable by those who don't have the ability to pay for extra goodies and/or crowns companions.

Ensign
Aug 31, 2013
Thomas Sunhammer on Jul 27, 2015 wrote:
Those late-world companions will get a promotion with the story expansion, they may get even more epics than the early-world companions.......