Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

does anyone do this?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
im at marleybone im about to kill rooke. so what im saying is: does anyone do extra quests before heading to the main quest? this is a REALLY helpful strategy. if you do this you may get a aquila galleon before you kill rooke (if you can teleport to a friend that is) and you cannot get the following companions if you never done extra quests:
fan flanders
chantal livingstone
the marchioness
shark oungan *forgot the name*
pelican *forgot the name*
shriko neko
masamune goto
... and probably some other more
so that's why i do that if you dont do any main quest you the fights you do can be harder then doing extra quests. *which i am testing with my bucceneer now at cool ranch* so i am going to test this out on my bucceneer level 24 cool ranch i have about 12 pages of quests now.

Ensign
Apr 24, 2010
Honestly, I don't like doing side quests. They are annoying and give hardly anything

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I always do side quests, and I advise players who ask about them that it IS worth doing -- for the companions, for the nautical experience, for the extra training points and many other reasons. I believe in being overleveled rather than underpowered, as the game is much easier to get through -- especially if you are trying to, or have to, solo.

I've never really understood why people are satisfied with basically playing only half of the game but getting to the top level and claiming there is nothing to do. Many side quests will give you backstory and colorful, fun tales at the very least. Who wouldn't want to find out about Mann the Bounty Hunter?

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
I only do side quests that lead to companions. Trust me, those are the only ones that are worth it to do.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Many side quests lead to other side quests that offer insight into the storyline or unlock a companion/mount. To ignore side quests leaves you and your companions under-leveled ( and much poorer )
Side quest bosses drop good rewards, sometimes pets. A good example of this is my friend, Black Pearl, who did the Borgia Letter side quest in Monquista. She got the scarab pet from Giovanni in that vortex. So if she had ignored that side quest, she wouldn't have received that pet.
Two examples of side quests that give insight into the story line are: Making Tracks from Mr. Smiley in the Admiralty building in Marleybone & The Temple Circuit in the High Temple in Nova Aquila. No, I'm not going to tell you what I found out, go do it yourself.
Trust me, every side quest is worth doing and more than balances out the time spent doing them.

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
Strategy8 on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:
Honestly, I don't like doing side quests. They are annoying and give hardly anything
Never get fooled by the low XP. Many quests that give 600+ XP can help you gain many levels, which softens up gameplay in tough areas. For example, many people who keep on doing sides in Marleybone can become max way before The wreck of the victory. People who make sure to complete a handful of sides in Cool Ranch Pt.1 (before Port Regal) can make it to the level where they can port to a friend and buy a galleon from Tumbleweed to ease Catbeard's ship quests. Those were only the benefits on the top of my head, but generally, those sides are very handy in helping you level up more. I've learned to be thankful for side XP, even 160+, don't judge a book from its cover, am I correct?

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
PRIVATEERJACK10 on Jun 17, 2015 wrote:
I only do side quests that lead to companions. Trust me, those are the only ones that are worth it to do.
I have to disagree due to countless reasons.

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
i know that when you finish aquila without doing ANY side quests you can still be level 65 no matter what

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
theprivateer12345 on Jul 13, 2015 wrote:
i know that when you finish aquila without doing ANY side quests you can still be level 65 no matter what
But then you miss out on getting Zeena.

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
sorry i wrote it wrong, what i meant to say was if you finish pirate101 without doing any side quests you can be level 65, sorry

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Willowydream on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:
I always do side quests, and I advise players who ask about them that it IS worth doing -- for the companions, for the nautical experience, for the extra training points and many other reasons. I believe in being overleveled rather than underpowered, as the game is much easier to get through -- especially if you are trying to, or have to, solo.

I've never really understood why people are satisfied with basically playing only half of the game but getting to the top level and claiming there is nothing to do. Many side quests will give you backstory and colorful, fun tales at the very least. Who wouldn't want to find out about Mann the Bounty Hunter?

It depends how you pay to play
I if you use membership it's not the smartest idea to waste the time u have on side quests
But for crown players it's definitely worth it

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you buy a year's membership, then you'll have more than enough time to complete the main and all side quests.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
It depends how you pay to play
I if you use membership it's not the smartest idea to waste the time u have on side quests
But for crown players it's definitely worth it
I disagree. There's a Burmese proverb that says, " He who take big paces leave big spaces." In other words, no matter how you play, it pays off to do side quests. Why rush through everything? We play for entertainment.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
If you buy a year's membership, then you'll have more than enough time to complete the main and all side quests.
Unfortunately I only get 1 month membership so I only do side quests when a companion is available or I need the nautical xp, xp, gold and tomes. Otherwise I advise players who pay by crowns or with long membership dwell into the side quest storyline.

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2015
theprivateer12345 on Jun 14, 2015 wrote:
im at marleybone im about to kill rooke. so what im saying is: does anyone do extra quests before heading to the main quest? this is a REALLY helpful strategy. if you do this you may get a aquila galleon before you kill rooke (if you can teleport to a friend that is) and you cannot get the following companions if you never done extra quests:
fan flanders
chantal livingstone
the marchioness
shark oungan *forgot the name*
pelican *forgot the name*
shriko neko
masamune goto
... and probably some other more
so that's why i do that if you dont do any main quest you the fights you do can be harder then doing extra quests. *which i am testing with my bucceneer now at cool ranch* so i am going to test this out on my bucceneer level 24 cool ranch i have about 12 pages of quests now.
i like sidequest i would not be where i am today if it was not for sidequest

Ensign
Dec 16, 2011
Side quests are powerful. I am a level 32 witchdoctor that just entered port regal. I don't mean to stray off topic, but on wiz, I have a level 29 sorcerer that hasn't visited the tomb of storms. Clearly, side quests can give you a big boost. My favorite part, however, is the companion points that they often give, which is very useful.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
For any sawshbuckler class out there don't forget, the galdiator sidequest. It gives a galdiator eagle, free of charge.

That's another reason I do sidequests to unluck hidden companions, like Goroando, Zenna and Cat ninja.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I am a card carrying quest junkie. Those side quests give you lots of stuff in extra companions, gear, pets and furniture for your home. They also give you a very rich storyline that makes the game much more interesting. The writers, voice-over actors, sound department, coders and artists put a lot of their heart into those quests for our enjoyment. You will be amazed at the unique giggles and eye candy you will encounter by exploring these side dishes that are part of our gaming feast.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
theprivateer12345 on Jul 13, 2015 wrote:
No you will be stuck at lvl 63 but if you do all the side quests leading to companions you will max out

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 13, 2015 wrote:
But then you miss out on getting Zeena.
Yeah nobody wants to miss out on JOHN ZENNA!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Monkrinx2024 on Nov 14, 2015 wrote:
For any sawshbuckler class out there don't forget, the galdiator sidequest. It gives a galdiator eagle, free of charge.

That's another reason I do sidequests to unluck hidden companions, like Goroando, Zenna and Cat ninja.
Goro isn't a side quest companion

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Skull Island : A Few that give 20+ nat xp to get at least to around 10 before monquistia
Monquista: I pick up a few 400 - 600 xp and that have at least 2 training points combined when I reach 20 for the presido companions (or 21)
Port Regal : No
Cool Ranch : Good XP and good Nat and good training points I do
Mooshu : Nope
Marlybone : Nope
Aquila: A few