Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Smugglers, Outlaws and Pirates

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2014
Call me crazy (because I am), but I think Witchdoctors and Musketeers aren't even pirates at all! To me, Musketeers are sort of the outlaws of the Spiral. Smugglers, outlaws, whatever you want to call it. I mean, sure there are Musketeer pirates in the game, but I don't consider the player Musketeers to be Pirates. Same goes with Witchdoctors as well. To me, they're just outlaws as well for going into Dark Magic. As we all know, necromancy is illegal in MooShu, which would explain no starter companions being a Witchdoctor (which does not explain there being no Musketeer companions for a starter companion). In Madame Vadima's Rogue Gallery, the narrator says: "Some say Vadima is hiding under Avery's protection." This could imply that Witchdoctors are not pirates, but mere outlaws hiding under Avery's protection. But, this could also imply that if a Witchdoctor player grew up in MooShu, it would explain why they are hiding under Avery's protection;To get away from the MooShu law (and we're excluding General Tso because that guy is taken away from power.) But, what about Moo Manchu? He's a Witchdoctor! And not only that, but he turned against the emperor, implying he was once the emperor's friend! So, this is one more question for you all to forget later on today. Was Moo Manchu a Witchdoctor secretly when he was still friends with the emperor? And one more thing: Why does the Armada even forbid hoodoo? (The Bishop being a necromancer in secret has been debunked since he uses technology rather than hoodoo, just bringing that up.) But how come they forbid it? Has it even done them any wrong? Who knows, that question could be answered by the time we go back to Valencia and shoot up some Cadiz soldiers.

Please note this is all purely speculation.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Committing theft upon the sea ( or in our case the sky ) makes you a pirate; it doesn't matter if you used hoodoo or sparkshooters to commit the crime.
Where did you get the idea that hoodoo or even witchdoctors are outlawed in MooShu? Yes the Armada forbids magic, but they don't control MooShu ( yet ).
All citizens of MooShu owe loyalty to the Emperor, so when Moo Manchu plotted to take the throne, he 'turns against' the Emperor and commits treason. I think he had always been a witchdoctor and he has a following because he rewards loyalty and success very well.
There's been speculation that clockworks may be especially vulnerable to magic. When you encounter the extreme defenses used by Rook and Bishop, you have to wonder why.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 11, 2015 wrote:
Committing theft upon the sea ( or in our case the sky ) makes you a pirate; it doesn't matter if you used hoodoo or sparkshooters to commit the crime.
Where did you get the idea that hoodoo or even witchdoctors are outlawed in MooShu? Yes the Armada forbids magic, but they don't control MooShu ( yet ).
All citizens of MooShu owe loyalty to the Emperor, so when Moo Manchu plotted to take the throne, he 'turns against' the Emperor and commits treason. I think he had always been a witchdoctor and he has a following because he rewards loyalty and success very well.
There's been speculation that clockworks may be especially vulnerable to magic. When you encounter the extreme defenses used by Rook and Bishop, you have to wonder why.
I got the idea of Necromancy and whatnot being illegal in MooShu from the Sujimura Side Quest where you have to defeat the Inoshishi Necromancer. And you also don't see any Witchdoctors in the empire, and you only see them as Inoshishi Necromancers. (Excluding Bosses.)

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
As anecorbie said, we are pirates in that we are engaging in piratical activity. Out class/skill sets may vary according to our backgrounds and ongoing interests, but we are living a pirating life so we are pirates.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Others may disagree with this, but I think Moo Manchu is very respectable in his own way. He's not a coward at all, he shows mercy, and though he's evil, he's the Slade type of evil (Slade from Teen Titans). He's not the dumb kind of evil, he's the smart and collected evil. In Kobe's final quest he gives Kobe the opportunity to exact his vengeance, because honor is such a huge part of MooShu society (and, to that extent, the society of Feudal Japan) and in a classy place like Mooshu even criminal masterminds respect the pillars of society. Afterwards he gives Kobe the chance to join him, and Kobe obviously rejects (which is heartwarming). During Emmett's promotion to Commander where he gains his sweet giant hat and a bunch of medals, you encounter Moo Manchu to get a potion I think? Or like a basin of something. Anyways, he's all "Okay so like as long as you get your ugly mug out of here I'll let you live and you can also have that stuff in the basin, kay?". And the only reason he's so mad at you in the Tower is because you interfered with his plans twice; once when you brought down the tyranny of General Tso, and again when you defeated him at that one dude's tomb I think. Veterans of the tower who are tired of kicking his butt and hearing his voice over and over will probably disagree, but I still think he's a lot more respectable than Rooke or Bishop or Deacon.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I agree with fair Esperanza, those who commit piracy will be forever labeled as a pirate, it be simple fact mate.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
It is possible that in this world not all classes can be considered pirates but are people who interact and work with and around them.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
To be fair, if you're going to discount Musketeers and Witchdoctors as nothing more than Smugglers and Outlaws (as a theory of course), you could also make the case that Privateers are but army captains, Buccaneers are just brawlers, and Swashbucklers are just duelists. Pirates or not, we'll all be together.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2014
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 14, 2015 wrote:
Others may disagree with this, but I think Moo Manchu is very respectable in his own way. He's not a coward at all, he shows mercy, and though he's evil, he's the Slade type of evil (Slade from Teen Titans). He's not the dumb kind of evil, he's the smart and collected evil. In Kobe's final quest he gives Kobe the opportunity to exact his vengeance, because honor is such a huge part of MooShu society (and, to that extent, the society of Feudal Japan) and in a classy place like Mooshu even criminal masterminds respect the pillars of society. Afterwards he gives Kobe the chance to join him, and Kobe obviously rejects (which is heartwarming). During Emmett's promotion to Commander where he gains his sweet giant hat and a bunch of medals, you encounter Moo Manchu to get a potion I think? Or like a basin of something. Anyways, he's all "Okay so like as long as you get your ugly mug out of here I'll let you live and you can also have that stuff in the basin, kay?". And the only reason he's so mad at you in the Tower is because you interfered with his plans twice; once when you brought down the tyranny of General Tso, and again when you defeated him at that one dude's tomb I think. Veterans of the tower who are tired of kicking his butt and hearing his voice over and over will probably disagree, but I still think he's a lot more respectable than Rooke or Bishop or Deacon.
Deacon is respectable in my opinion.
The guy even makes a joke before you face him:
"I shall make your death quick and painless in return for you guiding me to the map."
Too bad he died, though. I really hope Kingsisle revives him after our second story arc.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
akhenaten751 on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
Deacon is respectable in my opinion.
The guy even makes a joke before you face him:
"I shall make your death quick and painless in return for you guiding me to the map."
Too bad he died, though. I really hope Kingsisle revives him after our second story arc.
That wasn't a joke, he was ( deadly ) serious. It was his sick way of "appreciating" that you lead him to the map piece. We'll have enough fun fighting the remaining Elites to want ( or need ) to have him back.