Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

PvE and PvP companion builds

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
Ahoy!,
I noticed that many people need help with PvP while thinking their gear or playstyle is not good enough. But in fact, many of those have the problem only with their crew. Therefore, I wished to help out with this problem. But a note before you go any further: this is only for people who can reset their companions, if you're a crown player and can't afford it, then that's an unfortunate fact for you.
For general class tips, ALWAYS, with no exceptions for any units who can get them, focus on Relentless/Burst fire/Mojo echo for fairly obvious reasons. Bladestorm is the second in the preference order, but you have to train on how to properly place the unit if you want it to be more likely to take down a specific unit in an attack chain/ combo. You may be thinking: what about Doubletap and Mojo rising? Well, those are obviously not as good as BS. Doubletap can sometimes be very good, and sometimes very bad depending on the unit's other epics. It can sometimes ruin Burst combos by moving hits to another unit that you don't want to be hit at that time, Nausica for example due to her dangerous True grit combo creating epic, or another unit with Quick draw or heavy protection. As for Mojo rising, it is just as rare as a pink monkey-faced chicken between normal ones. As for the other well known PvP epics, Second chance, Vengeance strike and other talents are a matter of preference, but I would NEVER want Cheap shot/ Parting shot. Now, let's start the class tips:
1.) Buccaneer : For buccaneer pirates' crew, the most common companion that is considered a MUST USE is too easy to guess: Peter Quint. He starts out with the most helpful talent, and the recommendation for ALL for companions who can get it: relentless. His most common build is relentless 3 and bladestorm. Although, you can give him relentless 2, bladestorm and second chance or relentless 2 and BS 2. Though the best build that I would recommend is the first one mentioned. After his last promotion, he gets a Super strike power and a Brutal charge. Relentless 3 can trigger like crazy, and since he gets A LOT of criticals, BS is almost guaranteed to trigger each turn you send him after a unit. The best more is to target musketeers or witches, either pirates or companions. Due to their low strength and dodge, he is likely to take a witch/musket unit down in a turn if you place him right where BS can't spoil his relentless chains on the specific unit. Other famous buccaneer-used companions are Baar, Zang Cha, Temujin, Goronado, Barnabus, Hawkules and Atohr. But remember: relentless should be in all except Barn, as he can't get it, so I would go with BS 2 and Vengeance strike. And a reason for why I would always use a full buccaneer team is very simple, the buffs. And I said Peter is a must for another reason, which is his Whale's might card. As for the talents for buccaneer companions, Strong 4, Accurate 4, Rough 4 and Tough 4 is the best build.
Till the next time with other classes!

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
Continual:
Extra tips: Some tips that the character limitations didn't allow me to write were: 1. The higher your primary stat is, the higher is your critical and Burst/Relentless/ Mojo echo chance. The same applies with the defender's stat your attacker is using.
2. The higher your primary stat is, the better the damage increase you get.
The above reasons state why do I recommend using companions who you can buff their primary stat. Now, let's go to the second class tips:
2.) Swashbuckler: Those lucky pirates have some of the best companions in the game. The most notable are Fan Flanders and Sarah Steele. Fan is exactly the same deal as Peter for buccaneers, but can't get Relentless 3 or as much combo helping epics. Nevertheless, she's a must-use for as well. Relentless 2 and Riposte, Second chance or bladestorm is the most common and the best build. For Sarah, Bladestorm 2 and Riposte are the best. Always use their shadowdances as soon as you can. Another way to make Fan very helpful is utilizing her Flanking talent. El Toro is also considered a must-use due to his buff. Nausica is a significant addition to your team due to her ability to completely take down musketeer units in one turn. Try not to use Black Fog and Fan's buff or yours (if you have a gear piece with an agilty buff) in the early stages of the match. I highly recommend using only & while in PvP. Other really good companions are: Zeena, Bonnie Anne, Wagyu Sonjuro, Keisuke Yagi and Pepe de Torteau. A very good eyepatch that can help boost up your team's agility is the Patch of Serpentine Assault.
Till' the next time with more class tips, see ye all in th' Spiral!

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
Ahoy!
I'm back, finally! Let's now delve into the main subject. Enjoy!
When we last left, we were done with & . I would like to add, you don't have to use the same companions I've listed, just use the ones with best powers and epics. Now, we should discuss two more classes:
3.) Privateer : Privateer companions are pretty much swashbuckler or buccaneer companions but with slightly different stats and use will. Many people will find it obvious that I'll say that The Marchioness is the best in your team. She has Dispel Magic and the will buffs, guaranteed critical strikes and can get relentless, what more would you want? I can't say that there is any Presidio companion better than Lucky Jack Russel. He boosts will, starts with Bladestorm, and can train Relentless 2 and BS 2 as well. Catbeard is really good due to the will usage and good number of epics, but his damage isn't nearly as sweet as the other two. Nevertheless, I still recommend using him. Other companions are really really effective, but I would like to get gear with juju's to help them out. Give Egg Shen Relentless 2 and BS or Second chance, and cast a juju to see him go ape! Top companions: Egg Shen, El Toro, All the starter companion crown shop variants (excluding Zang Cha, you already have a goose!) , Goronado, Marchioness, Milo Graytail and the loooooong list of companions.
I'll resume on another post, I've ran out of space here.

Ensign
Jun 30, 2013
4.) Musketeer : The Musketeer class is known to be very nice in PvP. I love their companions, and the amount of traps they can sit can make it nearly impossible for your opponent to reach you without stepping on at least one trap if you set them right. Chantal is lovely, she is the only companion in the game with 3 guaranteed super strikes. How, you might ask? Her two sniper shots are guaranteed super, along with the Super strike card. Sniper shot has unlimited range, can trigger doubletap and is a lovely attack when you want to finish off an opponent from far off. She can cast Cloud spirit as well. Bonnie works best with musketeers due to their buffs and epic granting spells. Louis is amazing for playing defensive. I chose for Chantal Burst 2 and Overwatch 2 for PvE, but I reckon doubletap can be better for PvP in some occasions. Bonnie can be given Burst 2+Overwatch 2 or Burst 2+ Doubletap 2+Overwatch. You can give bonnie Quick draw instead of Doubletap 2 as well (she gets doubletap1 by default). Louis should get Overwatch 3 and Doubletap or Overwatch 2 and Doubletap 2. As for companions, it's fairly obvious that I'll suggest Bladestorm due to their higher critical chance from the buff and demand Relentless 2. I like to use El
Toro and/or Ridolfo Capoferro in some occasions. Best companions for musketeers: El Toro, Ridolfo, Wagyu Sonjuro, Keisuke Yagi, Moresco De Valvida, Milo Graytail, and many other agility based companions.
Remember to comment whenever you wish to add extra tips.
Until the next time, happy sailin'!
- Brave Mindy Sharp-