Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

"Boar to the Core" Earth Sorcerer difficulty spike

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ahoy, there!

While I was battling the Earth Sorcerer boss in the improved "Boar to the Core" instance quest in Sujimura Village, which I enjoy the improved length on that quest, & I deeply thank the Pirate101 team for it, I noticed that the boss himself & enemies' levels are unusually high for an instance that had properly levelled enemies & bosses.

Listen, as of the moment, they're Level 49, while all other enemies & bosses are around Level 39, at best, creating an unusual difficulty spike in that battle & having Pirates who are venturing through MooShu in Khotan Skyway complain about that again and again & are having a tough time winning that battle, even while they're going to the current max level cap. If those of you are thinking that the higher level enemies in that instance are by intention, don't. I say it's a major difficulty spike, &, from what I've been hearing from others, one that is very upsetting to many Pirates, right to the point where it's becoming a major blockade, indeed.

Pirate101 devs, I must kindly request of you to bring the Earth Sorcerer boss & enemies' levels in that battle down to their proper level like all other bosses & enemies do so that Pirates won't have much very trouble battling that boss & winning that battle. Please look through that & do so!

Thanks for listening!

Petty Officer
Jun 13, 2013
I died at every sorcerer and had to resume the dungeon every time. I haven't played it on any other characters so a level drop would be nice. One last thing, the character I died on was a privateer.

Developer
I'll take a look.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on Jan 27, 2015 wrote:
I'll take a look.
I thank ye very much, Ratbeard! I mean, I do enjoy the improved instance adventures, but I don't enjoy the unexpected difficulty spikes in certain battles.

Developer
I investigated yesterday, and as far as I can tell, it has always been set to that level. As such, it has the hallmarks of Chesteron's Gate.

Nevertheless, I've entered a bug report to knock it down to a similar level as the other sorcerers.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:
I investigated yesterday, and as far as I can tell, it has always been set to that level. As such, it has the hallmarks of Chesteron's Gate.

Nevertheless, I've entered a bug report to knock it down to a similar level as the other sorcerers.
Nice of you to do that.

Good to know! I've heard other Pirates venturing through their first trip to MooShu complaining about being unable to get past the Earth Sorcerer battle because of that boss' & his enemies' unusually higher levels in that battle than all others' for an instance on their proper level for all other enemies & bosses. Once that's taken care of, they won't have to worry about that for much longer. Thank ye once again!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:

Well, that's not a bug-- that's merely a challenge. But if players are having difficulties with that instance, then it's certainly good to help them out. I don't remember having any troubles with that spot, but my memories are like newborn Hoggle's bottom...a bit fuzzy!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:
Well, that's not a bug-- that's merely a challenge. But if players are having difficulties with that instance, then it's certainly good to help them out. I don't remember having any troubles with that spot, but my memories are like newborn Hoggle's bottom...a bit fuzzy!
Have you tried replaying that instance with a Level 38 or 39 or slightly above Pirate? Those who are at that level are having trouble trying to get past the Earth Sorcerer because it's over a couple levels than other enemies & bosses. It's not a challenge by intention. I say, it's a difficulty spike. Don't get me wrong or anything. I requested to bring these over-leveled enemies down to their proper level so they can get past without being afraid to be defeated by an overpowered or over-leveled enemy.

You did forget that the instance had one battle before being extended & improved? It was like that before, & now it's become a complete adventure like the others that got extended.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Trimond297 on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:
Have you tried replaying that instance with a Level 38 or 39 or slightly above Pirate? Those who are at that level are having trouble trying to get past the Earth Sorcerer because it's over a couple levels than other enemies & bosses. It's not a challenge by intention. I say, it's a difficulty spike. Don't get me wrong or anything. I requested to bring these over-leveled enemies down to their proper level so they can get past without being afraid to be defeated by an overpowered or over-leveled enemy.

You did forget that the instance had one battle before being extended & improved? It was like that before, & now it's become a complete adventure like the others that got extended.
I love complete adventures Trimond, and challenges for that matter. So, I certainly will run that instance on a Level 38 or 39 or even slightly lower perhaps (but I think it will be adjusted by the time my next one gets there). And besides, in case you didn't gather it from my post-- I have no qualms with helping pirates struggling through an instance, whether from being a challenge or a "difficulty spike". Although, overall I don't see any problems with a difficulty spike, especially coming later in the game when you have had a chance to learn strategies and battle tactics. And I likewise have no issues with you looking out for you fellow pirates, if a great many of them are indeed having difficulties with "the spike"...I think it's a rather noble thing, in fact.

But to me, level is just a number anyways. Just as you could have 10 different level 65 pirates-- some capable, level 50-55 pirates can certainly take down some level 65 pirates, that may not have a firm grasp on strategies. A spike in level doesn't really concern me, as much as same level, "pirate-like" equipped enemy. Just look at the enemies in the Smuggler's Arena, they are right in our pirates' range, yet they present much more difficulty than a storyline enemy that is a few levels higher than the norm-- this being because the Arena enemies know how to take care of business and are fully equipped like (or even better than) our pirates. Quest, instance and storyline enemies, even a few levels higher than our pirates, still don't always present a huge challenge, this being because they still don't possess the talents and powers that a pirate of that level would possess. But I am certainly all for making "trouble spots" easier for the piratin' community, as a whole.

But, you can bet I surely would (or will if I can progress fast enough) try it out with a pirate that was in that Level 38 slightly higher/lower range, just for the thrill of it. Too bad my next highest pirate is only level 14. I actually would like to see "spiked level" instances, bosses and challenges mixed in here and there. But you are right, those should of the "optional variety", so that those progressing through the story don't run into them when they are not ready for them. If left a choice, I'd say bring it on and spike away.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 30, 2015 wrote:
I love complete adventures Trimond, and challenges for that matter. So, I certainly will run that instance on a Level 38 or 39 or even slightly lower perhaps (but I think it will be adjusted by the time my next one gets there). And besides, in case you didn't gather it from my post-- I have no qualms with helping pirates struggling through an instance, whether from being a challenge or a "difficulty spike". Although, overall I don't see any problems with a difficulty spike, especially coming later in the game when you have had a chance to learn strategies and battle tactics. And I likewise have no issues with you looking out for you fellow pirates, if a great many of them are indeed having difficulties with "the spike"...I think it's a rather noble thing, in fact.

But to me, level is just a number anyways. Just as you could have 10 different level 65 pirates-- some capable, level 50-55 pirates can certainly take down some level 65 pirates, that may not have a firm grasp on strategies. A spike in level doesn't really concern me, as much as same level, "pirate-like" equipped enemy. Just look at the enemies in the Smuggler's Arena, they are right in our pirates' range, yet they present much more difficulty than a storyline enemy that is a few levels higher than the norm-- this being because the Arena enemies know how to take care of business and are fully equipped like (or even better than) our pirates. Quest, instance and storyline enemies, even a few levels higher than our pirates, still don't always present a huge challenge, this being because they still don't possess the talents and powers that a pirate of that level would possess. But I am certainly all for making "trouble spots" easier for the piratin' community, as a whole.

But, you can bet I surely would (or will if I can progress fast enough) try it out with a pirate that was in that Level 38 slightly higher/lower range, just for the thrill of it. Too bad my next highest pirate is only level 14. I actually would like to see "spiked level" instances, bosses and challenges mixed in here and there. But you are right, those should of the "optional variety", so that those progressing through the story don't run into them when they are not ready for them. If left a choice, I'd say bring it on and spike away.
Thanks for these kind words, Valkoor. I don't mean any qualms from that or anything. I was only stating my point. Also, a level may be just a number to you, however, to me, that determines enemies' strengths & abilities, & the Earth Sorcerer's & his enemies' levels are way too high for the other enemies & bosses that are on their proper levels, & that could be a major obstacle to Pirates who are, at around level 38 or 39, trying to get through the storyline. Once that boss & his enemies' levels get scaled down to the proper level, that won't be a major obstacle to them anymore.

The Smuggler's Arena is a different take on leveled enemies, because it's meant for Pirates looking for Scrip, and for all to fight through it together to overcome the toughest enemies that housing gauntlet could bring out for the highest leveled Pirates yet. I did have big struggles with these enemies while trying to win more Scrip, but that's because I was trying to win more Scrip by myself, and I can see that the rest of the instance is not recommended much for the solo types. It would require four Pirates to overcome it.

Well, of course you could do that. I wish you good luck in doing that... and plenty trying to get past the Earth Sorcerer by yourself on that level, if you think that you are ready to do it.

I'm not sure I would feel very comfortable on seeing "spiked level" instances added to the game, even if it is for the optional variety. I would require some thorough cautious thinking on that if I were you. No criticism intended.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Trimond297 on Jan 30, 2015 wrote:
Thanks for these kind words, Valkoor. I don't mean any qualms from that or anything. I was only stating my point. Also, a level may be just a number to you, however, to me, that determines enemies' strengths & abilities, & the Earth Sorcerer's & his enemies' levels are way too high for the other enemies & bosses that are on their proper levels, & that could be a major obstacle to Pirates who are, at around level 38 or 39, trying to get through the storyline. Once that boss & his enemies' levels get scaled down to the proper level, that won't be a major obstacle to them anymore.

The Smuggler's Arena is a different take on leveled enemies, because it's meant for Pirates looking for Scrip, and for all to fight through it together to overcome the toughest enemies that housing gauntlet could bring out for the highest leveled Pirates yet. I did have big struggles with these enemies while trying to win more Scrip, but that's because I was trying to win more Scrip by myself, and I can see that the rest of the instance is not recommended much for the solo types. It would require four Pirates to overcome it.

Well, of course you could do that. I wish you good luck in doing that... and plenty trying to get past the Earth Sorcerer by yourself on that level, if you think that you are ready to do it.

I'm not sure I would feel very comfortable on seeing "spiked level" instances added to the game, even if it is for the optional variety. I would require some thorough cautious thinking on that if I were you. No criticism intended.
You betcha, Trimond & I read you loud and clear.

I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of enemy level being a gauge of what strengths and abilities that enemy possesses. I was more or less suggesting that it doesn't give an accurate gauge of how difficult the enemy is. Without extra powers & epic talents (both, coming from gear & not just leveled training) thrown in there, in general, a higher level enemy just possesses higher health, primary attribute stats, possibly higher armor &/or resistance & other stat related boosts, with an extra power & talent or two. I'd rather face a higher level enemy with these slight boosts then a same level, super "equipped" enemy. Well, actually I'm a bit weird, so I'd rather face a higher level, highly trained, uber-powerful enemy-- the more challenging, the better..but that's just the stubborn mule in me, "Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw."

But in the instances you are referring to, I completely agree that seeing a big jump in level, may prove to be too difficult to the average pirate, so toning them down to the "normal levels" would be fitting for the sake of piratical sanity.

Now the Smuggler's Arena..I'd have to politely & respectfully disagree on the, "it would require four Pirates to overcome it" part. I would imagine that it would be a bit too easy with a four pirate team, only because I have attempted the Arena twice this far & have done so each time with only a two pirate team-- my pirate & my son's pirate (both Buccaneers). Both times, we were successful & both times we (or should I say I, since I was controlling both pirates) ran into little trouble, besides a small handful of lost companions. But the battles themselves were not that bad..well maybe a couple were nail biters. But overall, the Arena isn't entirely too tough for a two pirate team with decent strategy, gear & doubloons. I have only attempted it solo once & only made it through the sixth battle. So yes, solo is quite a bit tougher.

And thanks for the wishes of good luck. If I can ever get my lower level pirate(s) that far, I do believe that I sure am ready for it. I'll work on progressing my "next in line" & let you know how I fair-- providing the "enemy, spiked level bug fix" doesn't beat my progression.

I still would love to see some "spiked level" instances here & there, but again, only if they were optional & not required for storyline advancement. I sure do love a good challenge, & many other players out there do. If there were optional "spiked level challenges" out there, it would provide great fun for many players seeking a detour from the norm. To me there's nothing wrong at all with players wanting to step aside from the story in order to test their mettle against superior competition, of the "spiked level" variety. We may not see much of it, but without the need for thorough cautious thinking, I'd welcome it warmly. And of course no criticism taken at all-- just points of view being pleasantly discussed, & I thank ya.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 30, 2015 wrote:
You betcha, Trimond & I read you loud and clear.

I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of enemy level being a gauge of what strengths and abilities that enemy possesses. I was more or less suggesting that it doesn't give an accurate gauge of how difficult the enemy is. Without extra powers & epic talents (both, coming from gear & not just leveled training) thrown in there, in general, a higher level enemy just possesses higher health, primary attribute stats, possibly higher armor &/or resistance & other stat related boosts, with an extra power & talent or two. I'd rather face a higher level enemy with these slight boosts then a same level, super "equipped" enemy. Well, actually I'm a bit weird, so I'd rather face a higher level, highly trained, uber-powerful enemy-- the more challenging, the better..but that's just the stubborn mule in me, "Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw."

But in the instances you are referring to, I completely agree that seeing a big jump in level, may prove to be too difficult to the average pirate, so toning them down to the "normal levels" would be fitting for the sake of piratical sanity.

Now the Smuggler's Arena..I'd have to politely & respectfully disagree on the, "it would require four Pirates to overcome it" part. I would imagine that it would be a bit too easy with a four pirate team, only because I have attempted the Arena twice this far & have done so each time with only a two pirate team-- my pirate & my son's pirate (both Buccaneers). Both times, we were successful & both times we (or should I say I, since I was controlling both pirates) ran into little trouble, besides a small handful of lost companions. But the battles themselves were not that bad..well maybe a couple were nail biters. But overall, the Arena isn't entirely too tough for a two pirate team with decent strategy, gear & doubloons. I have only attempted it solo once & only made it through the sixth battle. So yes, solo is quite a bit tougher.

And thanks for the wishes of good luck. If I can ever get my lower level pirate(s) that far, I do believe that I sure am ready for it. I'll work on progressing my "next in line" & let you know how I fair-- providing the "enemy, spiked level bug fix" doesn't beat my progression.

I still would love to see some "spiked level" instances here & there, but again, only if they were optional & not required for storyline advancement. I sure do love a good challenge, & many other players out there do. If there were optional "spiked level challenges" out there, it would provide great fun for many players seeking a detour from the norm. To me there's nothing wrong at all with players wanting to step aside from the story in order to test their mettle against superior competition, of the "spiked level" variety. We may not see much of it, but without the need for thorough cautious thinking, I'd welcome it warmly. And of course no criticism taken at all-- just points of view being pleasantly discussed, & I thank ya.
No problem. Just got to keep an eye out for enemies & bosses in instances being levels too high than others at their proper levels. Don't want many lower level pirates to have too much trouble facing enemies at their unintended higher levels to the point where they cannot progress through, in groups or by solo.

Well, OK, so maybe the Smuggler's Arena is not too troubling to multiple Pirates, but I was only stating my points about how tough going through that instance is by solo. Perhaps if I get the chance, I could try it again with other Pirates & see how that fares out.

You do that. Just hope you can get one of your lower level Pirates there in time.

I know. I just had some concerns about having spiked leveled instances, that's all. & I understand.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Remember it's okay to have different opinions. You know how I feel about any sort of lowering the enemy. I am against it because challenges help people measure their abilities, learn, and grow. I would much rather have a pirate rise to meet a challenge then to have it lowered so that they don't learn. If anybody doesn't agree that's fine but that's just how I see it. Instead of saying it's too hard it can also be a good chance to work with other pirates and make new friends.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Jun 20, 2013
i agree. when i fought him(privateer only) my el toro and inoshi almost died

Cruel allen dromand - level 46 privateer

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
DuranteRamses87 on Feb 4, 2015 wrote:
Remember it's okay to have different opinions. You know how I feel about any sort of lowering the enemy. I am against it because challenges help people measure their abilities, learn, and grow. I would much rather have a pirate rise to meet a challenge then to have it lowered so that they don't learn. If anybody doesn't agree that's fine but that's just how I see it. Instead of saying it's too hard it can also be a good chance to work with other pirates and make new friends.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
It's fine to have different opinions, but remember that enemies & bosses that are a few more levels too high than others that are their proper levels could present to be a big obstacle, & one that may be difficult to overcome to the point of not being able to progress, even by solo, & even by some Pirates that are their exact levels or above in a group together.

Ensign
Mar 16, 2013
Trimond297 on Jan 25, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy, there!

While I was battling the Earth Sorcerer boss in the improved "Boar to the Core" instance quest in Sujimura Village, which I enjoy the improved length on that quest, & I deeply thank the Pirate101 team for it, I noticed that the boss himself & enemies' levels are unusually high for an instance that had properly levelled enemies & bosses.

Listen, as of the moment, they're Level 49, while all other enemies & bosses are around Level 39, at best, creating an unusual difficulty spike in that battle & having Pirates who are venturing through MooShu in Khotan Skyway complain about that again and again & are having a tough time winning that battle, even while they're going to the current max level cap. If those of you are thinking that the higher level enemies in that instance are by intention, don't. I say it's a major difficulty spike, &, from what I've been hearing from others, one that is very upsetting to many Pirates, right to the point where it's becoming a major blockade, indeed.

Pirate101 devs, I must kindly request of you to bring the Earth Sorcerer boss & enemies' levels in that battle down to their proper level like all other bosses & enemies do so that Pirates won't have much very trouble battling that boss & winning that battle. Please look through that & do so!

Thanks for listening!
happend to me before on my buccaneer and did it tome agin 2 times on my swashbuckler pls lower the lvl my swash and buck were only lvl 40 and41 pls help

fair sailing bloody jordan nightingale lvl 65
have a happy spring break

Ensign
Nov 20, 2012
When I went in with another person I beat not only the Earth Sorcerer, but the whole dungeon.
My best tip for it are to bring another player along for the ride.