Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Helping people on pirate 101

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
So I helped a person on pirate 101 and they didn't say thank you and I helped them with a half of 2 battles
See you all later on the message boards

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
krokotopia pirate on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
So I helped a person on pirate 101 and they didn't say thank you and I helped them with a half of 2 battles
Welcome back to the Boards Rebecca, glad to see you join us again!

Unfortunately, there are a lot of scurvy pirates out there that aren't too generous with the appreciation, gratitude and kindness. There are many that are....but so many that simply don't understand the value of a simple "Thank You".

I have helped out a lot of fellow pirates as well, and I honestly would say that the majority (at least more than 1/2) of them just port away without saying thanks. Maybe it's just the pirate in them, maybe it's just that they are in a hurry or perhaps some of them are just using other players to progress in the game and therefore have no intention of extending a kind thanks for other's friendliness.

Just recently, I helped a pirate on my friend list that I had hung out with in game a couple times. I offered to morph pets with him so he could possibly get a new pet, then he asked me to help him sink some ships in Cool Ranch- which I did. After that I helped him in a dungeon and even gifted him a couple of Tribal Crew Packs, after he was so excited to see my set of Aztecosaur companions in battle. He received a weapon and a mount and a few other decent things.

Right after doing so he vanished and ported elsewhere. A moment later all I got was a Text Chat, saying "you can go do some other stuff now, I am going to promote a couple companions". No "Thanks", no "Thank You", nothing of the sort. I don't really help others in hopes of being thanked but it is nice when you receive thanks, especially when you spend a good bit of time with helping someone. I'll still continue to help out any that seem like they really need it though....for I must.

But for every rude or inappreciative player out there, there's many others that are simply great people and true in-game friends. You just have to figure out which ones are those true pirate friends and which ones may just be trying to use you and your generosity.

Well, great job helping your fellow players, Rebecca, keep up the good work and again welcome back to the boards.!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Yea some scurvy pirates are a little to heavy on the scurvy side. Don't let it dissuade you. You keep being the helpful pirate that you are and the legend of the virtuous pirates with a heart of gold will live on.

Lieutenant
Sep 10, 2009
Ensign
May 27, 2012
You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time, so the saying goes... don't let that put you off helping people, most are very grateful

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
I don't let stuffs like that get me down. I keep helping, regardless of the situation. Mostly, I help our next generation pirates in Xol Akmul with that dastardly skeletal demon, Ch'ok Ak'ab! I get thanked quite a bit, and the pirate I helped says that he/she had died trying to beat it, and it was with me that they won! (It helps when the pirate who's helping them is Lvl. 65 with FULL boss/crowns gear and has 88 companions lol.) But I never expect any thanks. Since I'm a Boy Scout, I do a Good Turn Daily, expecting no reward or thanks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you aren't taught courtesy or good manners then you'll only have bad manners. How many people in a face to face real life situation will remember to say 'thank you' and when on the internet games forget?

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
Continued ... Before in wizard101 I asked her do you want me to help you in pirate101 and she said sure
During the time when I helped her with a half of 2 battles she said that I did not help at all
When I did
-krokotopia pirate
Romantic Rebbeca Ivring "A race is on for the map who is going to get it first me or the armada

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
For what it is worth, I appreciate your willingness to pitch in and help a fellow "free spirit of the skyways" out with the odd tussle we occasionally find ourselves in.

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Whenever someone helps me, I make sure I say thank you. Some pirates don't appreciate the fact that others don't necessarily have to help them at all, yet they do. That pirate could be farming or questing instead of helping one another. It's a bit awkward when you don't get a "no problem" or "you're welcome" in return, but at least they know.

I try my very best to avoid asking for help. Not because I'm one of those players who are like, "I don't want your help, leave me alone" or something like that. It only makes me uncomfortable because I don't like feeling that I'm abusing their time and generosity, despite hardly asking for it. Instead, I would save it for something I would seriously need help with after about an hour of my stubbornness. And not only would I thank them, but offer my assistance in return. "A favor for a favor, you understand."

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Yar ungrateful pirates make me sick, so I here ye lass.

P.S good to have ye back Rebecca.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Don't take it personally its really nothing against you. I like being thanked too but sometimes I must admit it gets annoying at times. I am a privateer and the main abilities are to buff and heal. Every time I cast a buff or heal everybody thanks me. This occurs throughout the battle. The whole time I'm saying "your welcome" or "yw" I don't have time for any other conversation because I don't want to be rude. But really I don't require thanks for this I'm just doing my job. Out there I got your back.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
Don't take it personally its really nothing against you. I like being thanked too but sometimes I must admit it gets annoying at times. I am a privateer and the main abilities are to buff and heal. Every time I cast a buff or heal everybody thanks me. This occurs throughout the battle. The whole time I'm saying "your welcome" or "yw" I don't have time for any other conversation because I don't want to be rude. But really I don't require thanks for this I'm just doing my job. Out there I got your back.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Oh, but we really appreciate those heals and buffs, so 'ty' in advance, Dante!

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but when you're helping, is it someone who asked for help? Because if I asked you to join a fight with me, or if you asked to join and I said OK, that's one thing. If you're just leaping into my fight that I maybe was trying to get through on my own I'm not going to be particularly grateful. Yeah, I'll still say thank you, but I'll be muttering darkly over here on my side of the screen. It could be others feel that same frustration but are disinclined to be polite.

That said, someone jumped into a fight of mine in Xo Akmul where I was running a very low-level pirate on a secondary account. I didn't say thank you because he roared off before I could figure out why my chat wasn't working (the account at the time did not have a membership). I appreciated his help then; I just forgot what account I was on. If that was your pirate Warrior's Creed, thanks.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but when you're helping, is it someone who asked for help? Because if I asked you to join a fight with me, or if you asked to join and I said OK, that's one thing. If you're just leaping into my fight that I maybe was trying to get through on my own I'm not going to be particularly grateful. Yeah, I'll still say thank you, but I'll be muttering darkly over here on my side of the screen. It could be others feel that same frustration but are disinclined to be polite.

That said, someone jumped into a fight of mine in Xo Akmul where I was running a very low-level pirate on a secondary account. I didn't say thank you because he roared off before I could figure out why my chat wasn't working (the account at the time did not have a membership). I appreciated his help then; I just forgot what account I was on. If that was your pirate Warrior's Creed, thanks.
That's a great point Fiorenza! I most certainly always ask if someone needs help and will only do so if they say "yes" or asked me first. I also always ask someone before I just friend them, port to them, jump on a dungeon sigil with them or engage in ship battle with them. Sometimes players aren't seeking help or friends or wanting others to just drop in on them. If it's someone I know and has text or open chat, I always send one asking if they mind me porting in or if they need any help.

My issue has been more with players who either hang out or come to you seeking help, by either text chat, porting to you and then asking repeatedly. It's not the helping part at all that can be bothersome. It's when those type of players basically, keep asking until you are finally able to help and then you spend an hour or two helping them out with questing, collecting or morphing....and then they just vanish without any "farewell" or "thanks". It's more the ones that are deliberately using others solely using other players for their needs and don't really have any intentions of returning the favor or kindness towards those that went out of their way to help them out. Often times you don't know that is their intentions, because you want to help out freely without even considering if they are that type of player.

To those types of players, a simple "ty" only takes at most 4 clicks of a button and about 1.5 seconds to execute.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
That's a great point Fiorenza! I most certainly always ask if someone needs help and will only do so if they say "yes" or asked me first. I also always ask someone before I just friend them, port to them, jump on a dungeon sigil with them or engage in ship battle with them. Sometimes players aren't seeking help or friends or wanting others to just drop in on them. If it's someone I know and has text or open chat, I always send one asking if they mind me porting in or if they need any help.

My issue has been more with players who either hang out or come to you seeking help, by either text chat, porting to you and then asking repeatedly. It's not the helping part at all that can be bothersome. It's when those type of players basically, keep asking until you are finally able to help and then you spend an hour or two helping them out with questing, collecting or morphing....and then they just vanish without any "farewell" or "thanks". It's more the ones that are deliberately using others solely using other players for their needs and don't really have any intentions of returning the favor or kindness towards those that went out of their way to help them out. Often times you don't know that is their intentions, because you want to help out freely without even considering if they are that type of player.

To those types of players, a simple "ty" only takes at most 4 clicks of a button and about 1.5 seconds to execute.
Ooh, it makes me so frustrated when a friend ports to me without warning. Especially in a dungeon and they try to zoom through it, but I just want to go at my own pace. I'm in no rush.

One time, one of my "friends" would constantly ask me to help him, and I mean help him with all the main quests. We were questing together for a short time, but I wanted to do some side quests to increase my xp. Besides, I'm more of a soloist so I can move at my own pace. I didn't mind helping him a few times, but the more time he constantly asked for help, the more I was getting behind... and annoyed. This was a time when I was a bit afraid of saying "no" because I didn't want to come across as rude. However, when it was me who needed help, he refused and dismissed me.

After this, I was very cautious about who my friends are and not just using me. I don't like being used, nobody does! And it's the icing on the cake when they're not even grateful.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
435Snow Owl on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:
Ooh, it makes me so frustrated when a friend ports to me without warning. Especially in a dungeon and they try to zoom through it, but I just want to go at my own pace. I'm in no rush.

One time, one of my "friends" would constantly ask me to help him, and I mean help him with all the main quests. We were questing together for a short time, but I wanted to do some side quests to increase my xp. Besides, I'm more of a soloist so I can move at my own pace. I didn't mind helping him a few times, but the more time he constantly asked for help, the more I was getting behind... and annoyed. This was a time when I was a bit afraid of saying "no" because I didn't want to come across as rude. However, when it was me who needed help, he refused and dismissed me.

After this, I was very cautious about who my friends are and not just using me. I don't like being used, nobody does! And it's the icing on the cake when they're not even grateful.
Oh, you betcha it can be frustrating when people just pop in, unannounced. There have been many times when a much lower level will port just as I have started a hard dungeon. Then they will invite a friend to "come see the sites, courtesy of Valkoor". Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problems with pirates of low level coming to hang out (I have a lot of lower level friends and sure enjoy their company)- after all Level is just a number. But when they jump in without warning, bring possibly another lower level friend and with them lots of extra enemies to the battle.....it can make for a tough go of things for me, since they won't really be able to help against much higher enemies.

I mean in the real world, we don't usually go around just showing up at the doorsteps of people we know without calling or texting first. Or surprise them by being in the backseat of their car when they are heading out for a drive...YIKES!!! Just a friendly Text Chat or Menu Chat of "Hello", "Howdy" or "Ahoy" can at least prepare others so they can say, "I would love to hang out, just give me a few moments to finish a dungeon" or for Menu Chatters- "Belay That" or "Wait a minute", "I'm in a Dungeon" or "I'm in a battle".

The "friend" that you described surely seemed like he was using you and taking advantage of your kindness and generosity. To not even offer, and flat out refuse, to help you when you needed help only makes it that much worse. You're absolutely right, it isn't fun at all to be used and taking advantage of- even in a video game!

I too solo a lot due to wanting the slower pace and I also don't want to inconvenience anyone else. I often am taking care of and enjoying playing with my kids while I am playing P101 and have to step away frequently and sometimes rather abruptly.....twin babies don't always play by the rules! I'll even miss a turn or two in battle from goofing off with them. So, to avoid having to make others wait for me or spare them some frustrations, I usually go at it solo.

Plus, I really, really, really enjoy learning about the game and the combat system, while I play. Many times I max out the turn timer just trying to "toy with my moves" to try out different strategies. Many people don't like this and just want you to "quick click" and hit the DONE button as soon as possible- but I like to think about my move and the next few moves. I have gone into battle with some friends and random players and, if I haven't hit that DONE button within 10-15 seconds- you can bet I will see that "Please Hit Done" bubble chat on the screen. So, again I don't want to frustrate others and make them wait for me to enjoy the "pre-attack selection process".

There's a ton of wonderfully great, friendly, courteous and appreciative pirates out there in the Spiral. If some of the others would follow their lead and just be a bit more respectful of their fellow pirate friends....the Spiral would be even more amazing!

Admiral
May 30, 2010
435Snow Owl on Jul 6, 2014 wrote:

That drives me nuts as well. I tend to refuse random friend requests now just so that I don't run into that kind of thing.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:
Oh, you betcha it can be frustrating when people just pop in, unannounced. There have been many times when a much lower level will port just as I have started a hard dungeon. Then they will invite a friend to "come see the sites, courtesy of Valkoor". Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problems with pirates of low level coming to hang out (I have a lot of lower level friends and sure enjoy their company)- after all Level is just a number. But when they jump in without warning, bring possibly another lower level friend and with them lots of extra enemies to the battle.....it can make for a tough go of things for me, since they won't really be able to help against much higher enemies.

I mean in the real world, we don't usually go around just showing up at the doorsteps of people we know without calling or texting first. Or surprise them by being in the backseat of their car when they are heading out for a drive...YIKES!!! Just a friendly Text Chat or Menu Chat of "Hello", "Howdy" or "Ahoy" can at least prepare others so they can say, "I would love to hang out, just give me a few moments to finish a dungeon" or for Menu Chatters- "Belay That" or "Wait a minute", "I'm in a Dungeon" or "I'm in a battle".

The "friend" that you described surely seemed like he was using you and taking advantage of your kindness and generosity. To not even offer, and flat out refuse, to help you when you needed help only makes it that much worse. You're absolutely right, it isn't fun at all to be used and taking advantage of- even in a video game!

I too solo a lot due to wanting the slower pace and I also don't want to inconvenience anyone else. I often am taking care of and enjoying playing with my kids while I am playing P101 and have to step away frequently and sometimes rather abruptly.....twin babies don't always play by the rules! I'll even miss a turn or two in battle from goofing off with them. So, to avoid having to make others wait for me or spare them some frustrations, I usually go at it solo.

Plus, I really, really, really enjoy learning about the game and the combat system, while I play. Many times I max out the turn timer just trying to "toy with my moves" to try out different strategies. Many people don't like this and just want you to "quick click" and hit the DONE button as soon as possible- but I like to think about my move and the next few moves. I have gone into battle with some friends and random players and, if I haven't hit that DONE button within 10-15 seconds- you can bet I will see that "Please Hit Done" bubble chat on the screen. So, again I don't want to frustrate others and make them wait for me to enjoy the "pre-attack selection process".

There's a ton of wonderfully great, friendly, courteous and appreciative pirates out there in the Spiral. If some of the others would follow their lead and just be a bit more respectful of their fellow pirate friends....the Spiral would be even more amazing!
I agree about learning the game's combat system and trying different strategies. Had I not taken the time given, I wouldn't have found out about a couple successful/flawless strategies then just click random powers and hope everyone makes it out alive. I can't stand being rushed for anything, it always seems to cause mistakes. Though, I understand that some people want to hurry because they may have a schedule going on, I just like to take my time enjoy everything about the game. Each time I play, I notice something I haven't noticed before.

"There's a ton of wonderfully great, friendly, courteous and appreciative pirates out there in the Spiral. If some of the others would follow their lead and just be a bit more respectful of their fellow pirate friends....the Spiral would be even more amazing!"

Very true, it's just that the pirates who are quite the opposite seem to cloud that picture. Although, I think this domino effect is pretty successful.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:
That drives me nuts as well. I tend to refuse random friend requests now just so that I don't run into that kind of thing.
I've notice that whenever I accept the "random friend requests" they automatically ask, "Can you gift me?" or, " Can you help me?" Only to lead up to them constantly asking me to help them, not even bothering to try it for themselves first. So, I've just turned of my friend requests because my answer to those requests is an automatic "no". They usually only just want something from me. Now, I know not everyone is like that, but what are those odds compared to these? Whenever a pirate seems the decent sort and thanks me after I came when they asked for help, sure I'll add them, sure I'll help them now and then again, so as long as their not taking advantage of it.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Once, someone helped me with something, and then asked for help afterwards, and I said no.
There was a reason I said no.
I was level 35. They were level 65, and asking for help with a ship thing in Aquila.
My nautical level is barely high enough for Haunted Skyway, much less Aquila.
Does knowing that I would be of absolutely no help qualify as ungrateful? I wouldn't be able to deal much damage, and my health would be too low. The battle would quickly turn to boarding if the enemy decided to attack me.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
if your a privy and i'm fighting with you my "thanks" can get kind of annoying XD i tend to say thanks for every little buff and heal and when i ask for help i say "thank you" (though i get annoyed if they randomly show up, especially with half health ) so ya, the fact that i say "thank you" for almost everything is annoying yet thoughtful... but still annoying. but there are times when i'm in a hurry like i got to go and i don't have time to type "thank you", and allot of my friends don't seem to know the word "thank you" but they do know "your welcome" -_- and if i don't i just forgot, or im trying not to annoy you... to much. but seriously, would you want me to spam "thank you" the entire time we hung out?

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jul 3, 2014 wrote:

i always ask before i join, i don't want to waste anyone's time with dead weight if they want to get a fight over fast, and a few times i dodged allot of arguing and complaining that i was there

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
About helping, well there is asking for help and then there is demanding help. Let me tell you a story I was in the Brawlin' Hall, taking part in a PvP. Some poor guy was running around the area saying " Can you help me, please" Over and over. I offered to help him, but told him he would have to wait while I finished the match; he seemed ok with that and I accepted his friend request. 30 seconds later, I'm getting his text chat "port to me now." I asked him to wait again, and he kept demanding that I port to him. Well after the 3rd time of his pestering me, I deleted him from my friend list and he had the nerve to ask for my help and friendship again. Consideration is a part of friendship and if you can't understand that, then I foresee a very lonely existence for you.