Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Something odd that I heard

AuthorMessage
Commodore
May 31, 2009
I was in Avery's Court yesterday when a max-level Privateer made an unusual announcement. He said 'KI is getting rid of the gift button due to the high density of beggars'. I asked him how he knew this, and he said that his uncle works for KI.

He went on to say that Polaris is coming out soon! He said that the next Windstone would be red, and that we would use it to enter Valencia from the Port Regal Stormgate.

I don't know if any of this is true, can someone give a yes or no on this? I am very confused and am wondering if it was just made up.

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
DON'T.....
none of that is true.....yet.
for the meantime, don't listen to him.
that, was a weird beginning of a sentence, sorry...
-jamal heath lvl 44

Administrator
Ahhhh, the old "my uncle works at KingsIsle" routine, eh? If it doesn't come directly from a KingsIsle employee, I wouldn't trust it. Make sure you've read this page on KingsIsle Support.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
I was in Avery's Court yesterday when a max-level Privateer made an unusual announcement. He said 'KI is getting rid of the gift button due to the high density of beggars'. I asked him how he knew this, and he said that his uncle works for KI.

He went on to say that Polaris is coming out soon! He said that the next Windstone would be red, and that we would use it to enter Valencia from the Port Regal Stormgate.

I don't know if any of this is true, can someone give a yes or no on this? I am very confused and am wondering if it was just made up.
He was just bragging, trying to make himself important, don't listen to rumors. Nothing is sure until it's announced in the update notes.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
One-Eyed Jack on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
Ahhhh, the old "my uncle works at KingsIsle" routine, eh? If it doesn't come directly from a KingsIsle employee, I wouldn't trust it. Make sure you've read this page on KingsIsle Support.
Isn't it a reportable offence to claim to be a KI employee or associated with Ki in anyway?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012

I am not not not a Kingsisle employee(though,I am determined to get every badge in-game, even the kingsisle support,one.That's going to be hard), but here's a reason to tell you why the story wouldn't make sense if we were to go through that stormgate.

Notice how every marleybonean privateer has a violet windstone,yet we have to rob the heavily guarded fort Basset to get the yellow windstone?Windstones are an ancient finite commodity in the Spiral.They produce an artificial atmosphere( and a bunch if other stuff) to keep the ship safe in inter-world voids( places with no air).They work based on the colors of a rainbow.A violet windstone,opens stormgates that require a violet windstone.An indigo windstone opens stormgates that require indigo windstones AND stormgates that require a violet windstone.A red windstone would keep you safe through virtually any stormgate!As such they are probably rare,one of a kind,expensive...so odds are you won't get your hands on one!And why would Blind Mew take away the plot device of having you collect windstones?

Hope that helps,and as always,thank you One Eyed Jack for taking the tine to read this,and to post it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I'm glad to hear that it isn't true that the Gift option is leaving because I occasionally like to extend a gift to my in game friends....but that being said, you would not believe how flooded the Spiral has become with flat out demands/requests for gifts from random players. I was in Avery's court the other day moving around gear from my bank in the bunkhouse & then running over to the Free Trader to sell some of it. It was pretty crazy how so many players out there seem to not have a lot of etiquette or respect for their fellow pirates. It's almost as if some just hang out waiting to heckle players for Gifts.

I couldn't believe how many times I heard things like- "Dude, I bet you have a lot Crowns, get me something", "Come on help me out, I need so-an-so from the Crown Shop", "I just ran out of Crowns and it's my birthday", "Why want you gift me?", "Can you buy me something and then I'll stop asking" or just simply "Gift me!". And these were just players throwing out chats & not talking directly to a specific player.

I don't mind helping others out all & I consider myself to be pretty generous, but it seems that there has become an overabundance of demands without consideration for the fact that other players with Crowns may have had to work very hard to earn those Crowns- someone surely did. You also get those players that ask for in game help because they say they're stuck & have tried so many times. It appears that they truly just want a helping hand but sure enough, once you get in a dungeon with them the begging/demanding starts up.

So, my point is- let's all show a little respect for each other. If someone wants to gift a friend whom maybe has helped them out or just been a good buddy in the Spiral- then they will on their own accord. It is pretty disrespectful to go around demanding gifts from other players without giving any thought to the other player.

Yes we are pirates, but it doesn't mean that we can't still show a little courtesy to one another.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
Thank you Jack! I didn't really believe him anyway, because while his story made some sense it was a bit far-fetched. I mean, why would he know any of that? Ah well, there are always pirates like that out there...

Thanks again, One-Eyed Jack!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I'm glad to hear that it isn't true that the Gift option is leaving because I occasionally like to extend a gift to my in game friends....but that being said, you would not believe how flooded the Spiral has become with flat out demands/requests for gifts from random players. I was in Avery's court the other day moving around gear from my bank in the bunkhouse & then running over to the Free Trader to sell some of it. It was pretty crazy how so many players out there seem to not have a lot of etiquette or respect for their fellow pirates. It's almost as if some just hang out waiting to heckle players for Gifts.

I couldn't believe how many times I heard things like- "Dude, I bet you have a lot Crowns, get me something", "Come on help me out, I need so-an-so from the Crown Shop", "I just ran out of Crowns and it's my birthday", "Why want you gift me?", "Can you buy me something and then I'll stop asking" or just simply "Gift me!". And these were just players throwing out chats & not talking directly to a specific player.

I don't mind helping others out all & I consider myself to be pretty generous, but it seems that there has become an overabundance of demands without consideration for the fact that other players with Crowns may have had to work very hard to earn those Crowns- someone surely did. You also get those players that ask for in game help because they say they're stuck & have tried so many times. It appears that they truly just want a helping hand but sure enough, once you get in a dungeon with them the begging/demanding starts up.

So, my point is- let's all show a little respect for each other. If someone wants to gift a friend whom maybe has helped them out or just been a good buddy in the Spiral- then they will on their own accord. It is pretty disrespectful to go around demanding gifts from other players without giving any thought to the other player.

Yes we are pirates, but it doesn't mean that we can't still show a little courtesy to one another.
It is the # 1 way to lose my friendship to ask me if I have crowns, or will I gift them; within 10 minutes or less of getting my yar of friendship! Who wants to be used like that? I'm not so lacking in friends that I need to buy one, either!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
It is the # 1 way to lose my friendship to ask me if I have crowns, or will I gift them; within 10 minutes or less of getting my yar of friendship! Who wants to be used like that? I'm not so lacking in friends that I need to buy one, either!
I hear you, any that appear to be the using type- must make a swift farewell from my friends list. And I agree that there is no need to "buy friends", especially online ones. I too have met and friended a whooooole lot of great pirates. I only gift to ones that I know don't get a chance to procure Crowns of their own, and only occasionally. Sometimes just helping someone out (even in a game) can be it's own reward.

Like you, I absolutely don't use Crowns as a means of "buying a friend". Sometimes though, it is just.....well.....nice to be nice for no particular reason and with no ulterior motives. If you are fortunate enough to have the means to have a bunch of Crowns, why not occasionally share with those that may not be as lucky as you are and are your true in-game friends. But, absolutely only to those that are on your friends list because they are actually friends.

There's more than enough greed and selfishness in the world today, so just little ways of giving can at least help try to even things out a bit....even in a virtual world. Sometimes gifting can just be a way to show appreciation for others. Like the times I have gifted at the Marauder pirates, it was just a way to say "Thank you" for coming, for showing support of a fellow Marauder and for just being great members of the P101 Community.

Yep, any who have shown that they are there to try and take advantage or to demand/request gifts, surely must walk the plank!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:
I hear you, any that appear to be the using type- must make a swift farewell from my friends list. And I agree that there is no need to "buy friends", especially online ones. I too have met and friended a whooooole lot of great pirates. I only gift to ones that I know don't get a chance to procure Crowns of their own, and only occasionally. Sometimes just helping someone out (even in a game) can be it's own reward.

Like you, I absolutely don't use Crowns as a means of "buying a friend". Sometimes though, it is just.....well.....nice to be nice for no particular reason and with no ulterior motives. If you are fortunate enough to have the means to have a bunch of Crowns, why not occasionally share with those that may not be as lucky as you are and are your true in-game friends. But, absolutely only to those that are on your friends list because they are actually friends.

There's more than enough greed and selfishness in the world today, so just little ways of giving can at least help try to even things out a bit....even in a virtual world. Sometimes gifting can just be a way to show appreciation for others. Like the times I have gifted at the Marauder pirates, it was just a way to say "Thank you" for coming, for showing support of a fellow Marauder and for just being great members of the P101 Community.

Yep, any who have shown that they are there to try and take advantage or to demand/request gifts, surely must walk the plank!
Yes, a friend on my list asked for a gift last year, it was during a special offer and it wasn't very expensive, so I did it. He was appreciative. I have also gifted a friend for coming to my rescue in the Hydra cave, usually an item like class furniture or a tribal pack.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
If it was it would be somewhere on the site from ki.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:

Very well said, Valkoor.

Since I have both the tiger and the lion mounts (which I purchased for gold!) on Wizard101, many people friend me and ask for gifts. I am now to the point where friend requests are blocked on both Wizard101 and Pirate101 so I do not have a bunch of begging friends! My only exception for friends is if I know them in real life, or a person proves that they are not going to beg for Crown items and they are willing to help me out in the game.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:

Oh, those people just get me PSYCHOTIC!
I'm someone who gets crowns only a few times a year, but even I know where my limits are. These people just hound you relentlessly until they get what they want and sometimes even more-so after the fact. They take advantage of other people's hard earned crowns and, in your case, generosity 'cause they're to lazy to get their own. I've mostly dealt with the ones that ask for your help in a dungeon. If it's really a tough dungeon, you've tried multiple times, and/or are on your last few health points then I'll help how i can. The only problem is when people bother you about it when you have your own quest to finish or when they fight battles that they're, level-wise, not supposed to be fighting yet. Pet breeding is a different story, I think. Ex: I've been repeating the same dungeon back-to-back for days trying to get a Dinolizard pet but without success, only then did I go around asking people to breed one and even then failed 3 out of 3 times; and still set out to get one.
Anyway, my advice, don't burden other people unless you've truly tried your hardest to do it yourself; and if you are a gifter, just be aware of who it is you're gifting and make sure it's not someone likely to take advantage.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
MistyDragon13 on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:
Very well said, Valkoor.

Since I have both the tiger and the lion mounts (which I purchased for gold!) on Wizard101, many people friend me and ask for gifts. I am now to the point where friend requests are blocked on both Wizard101 and Pirate101 so I do not have a bunch of begging friends! My only exception for friends is if I know them in real life, or a person proves that they are not going to beg for Crown items and they are willing to help me out in the game.
I don't even accept random friend requests simply because of this issue. I do my level best to say out of Avery because that's where most pirates and most beggars are hanging out. I do not love being popped back into Avery every time I do a practice pet sparring match and about every third time I morph pets.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
MistyDragon13 on Jul 7, 2014 wrote:
Very well said, Valkoor.

Thank you.

I can certainly understand the feeling of needing to block new friend requests. I was hoping not to have to go that route so that I could extend a hand to other "new", random pirates out there, but I can't deny that it has not been tempting to do so with the most recent barrages of demands/requests for gifts. I'll still remain open to accepting newer, "unknown" friends (although I think I am about full anyways) and will just have to give them a chance until they prove they are not the using type. If needed, I will have to remove them individually and give someone else a chance. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but will absolutely keep a keen eye on new friends and their possible intentions.

Oh, and I have never really played Wizard101, but those mounts sound pretty incredible...now I know just who to try to find to friend if I ever do decide to play........care to turn friend requests back on and do some gifting?I kid, I kid, of course!....

Commodore
May 31, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 8, 2014 wrote:
Thank you.

I can certainly understand the feeling of needing to block new friend requests. I was hoping not to have to go that route so that I could extend a hand to other "new", random pirates out there, but I can't deny that it has not been tempting to do so with the most recent barrages of demands/requests for gifts. I'll still remain open to accepting newer, "unknown" friends (although I think I am about full anyways) and will just have to give them a chance until they prove they are not the using type. If needed, I will have to remove them individually and give someone else a chance. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but will absolutely keep a keen eye on new friends and their possible intentions.

Oh, and I have never really played Wizard101, but those mounts sound pretty incredible...now I know just who to try to find to friend if I ever do decide to play........care to turn friend requests back on and do some gifting?I kid, I kid, of course!....
Hahaha! Well, if you do decide to play Wizard101 I'll make an exception and friend ya! I always like to help out other Wizards when I can.

Ensign
Jan 01, 2013
I think i know the next world. krokatopea the krok world. do you agree with me?

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
The Hoodoo Master on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I am not not not a Kingsisle employee(though,I am determined to get every badge in-game, even the kingsisle support,one.That's going to be hard), but here's a reason to tell you why the story wouldn't make sense if we were to go through that stormgate.

Notice how every marleybonean privateer has a violet windstone,yet we have to rob the heavily guarded fort Basset to get the yellow windstone?Windstones are an ancient finite commodity in the Spiral.They produce an artificial atmosphere( and a bunch if other stuff) to keep the ship safe in inter-world voids( places with no air).They work based on the colors of a rainbow.A violet windstone,opens stormgates that require a violet windstone.An indigo windstone opens stormgates that require indigo windstones AND stormgates that require a violet windstone.A red windstone would keep you safe through virtually any stormgate!As such they are probably rare,one of a kind,expensive...so odds are you won't get your hands on one!And why would Blind Mew take away the plot device of having you collect windstones?

Hope that helps,and as always,thank you One Eyed Jack for taking the tine to read this,and to post it.
I don't think that's exactly how windstones work, regarding to which stormgates they open. Violet windstones can only open violet stormgates, indigo windstones can only open indigo stormgates, etc. Only one windstone is capable of opening a specific stormgate and once we collect a windstone, we keep it forever; so we'd be using our indigo windstone to get to Valencia but we'd still be using our violet windstone to get to Monquista. A red windstone would still only open one or two specific stormgates and probably wouldn't be any more rare than any other winstone. Blind Mew definitely can keep us on the lookout, possibly infinitely, for more windstones wherever the windlanes take us. The only windstone I think will be the most extremely rare will be the one that takes us to El Dorodo, but even that windstone would only take us through that one stormgate.

Community Leader
Another pirate selling snake oil in the court area eh?

Probably an armada spy in disguise trying to create frustration in the pirate world.

We must be getting under their riveted skins mateys!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I don't understand why players beg for gifts in the first place. Are they unaware what a gift actually is, that is, something given freely, without coersion? To ask for one kinda negates the term "gift", does it not?

I would unfriend any player who asked for a gift.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Max DeGroot on Jul 19, 2014 wrote:
I don't understand why players beg for gifts in the first place. Are they unaware what a gift actually is, that is, something given freely, without coersion? To ask for one kinda negates the term "gift", does it not?

I would unfriend any player who asked for a gift.
I agree! There was a time when one of my new friends said that he would gift me and I got a bit suspicious. One, we were only friends for half an hour. Sure I helped him with a dungeon, but still... He hardly knew me. I didn't asked for a gift, the subject just came out of nowhere. I honestly didn't see it as a simple act of kindness. I saw it as an act of kindness with something in return. I thought he wanted me to gift him back as gratitude for the gift he gave me, so I said that I didn't need a gift (which is true) and that it's fine. Thing is, I don't want to gift. I only get crowns every blue moon. Maybe he really was just trying to be nice and not expecting things in return. Maybe it's just the pirate game getting to me.

Because I only get crowns every blue moon and someone sees me on a mount, they automatically assume I have more to spare. Any random player who asks me to gift them is automatically ignored. I'm not going to argue with them why I unfriended them and why I won't gift them. Arguing is just too exhausting and there's better things to do.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013

What the flipping heck??? Lies, lies lies lies. Don't listen to that guy lol he is a liar