Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Riddle me this...KI

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 23, 2012
First, I wanna start by saying that the pet morphing has me baffled and frustrated, but it also brings out some creative thoughts. Its like you all gave us a hammer and a bag of nails and told us to build a house with no real blueprint. Now as a fan of the Riddler in the Batman series, it gave me an idea. Please read on: Every month, you all have a newsletter for all to read. I thought you could make a section in that newsletter entitled something like ' Decius Pieces' or something more witty, in which you guys at KI could have a featured hybrid that only you knew about. In that section you could give us pirates some sort of riddle as to how to build one hybrid. As an example: the Grimtooth shark. By now its no secret on how to build that hybrid, so I will use it. The article could read: " Down into the abyss this creature lies, with blood red gills and glowing eyes. Never once has it seen the light of day, until death came along to show it the way" Now in this example, we are given two clues. The first is gills. We would know that it is an under water pet. The second would be death. A pet that is non living. As you can see it would be fun for all, you as a developers could make it as hard or easy as you please and we as players would have fun trying to solve the riddle. Don't worry Blind Mew, it wouldn't be telling. I hope you all give some thought to this idea, because each month, us pirates would be tuning in to the same Bat time and same Bat channel for the prize. ARRRRR

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Interesting idea. I am fine without knowing hybrid combinations. In my opinion, people try and find hybrids too much, wasting there time. Having the Kingsisle team influence pirates to find hybrids would just raise the chaos. In my opinion, it is more fun to try and get a pet with desirable talents and powers and good stats.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Butterblitz on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
First, I wanna start by saying that the pet morphing has me baffled and frustrated, but it also brings out some creative thoughts. Its like you all gave us a hammer and a bag of nails and told us to build a house with no real blueprint. Now as a fan of the Riddler in the Batman series, it gave me an idea. Please read on: Every month, you all have a newsletter for all to read. I thought you could make a section in that newsletter entitled something like ' Decius Pieces' or something more witty, in which you guys at KI could have a featured hybrid that only you knew about. In that section you could give us pirates some sort of riddle as to how to build one hybrid. As an example: the Grimtooth shark. By now its no secret on how to build that hybrid, so I will use it. The article could read: " Down into the abyss this creature lies, with blood red gills and glowing eyes. Never once has it seen the light of day, until death came along to show it the way" Now in this example, we are given two clues. The first is gills. We would know that it is an under water pet. The second would be death. A pet that is non living. As you can see it would be fun for all, you as a developers could make it as hard or easy as you please and we as players would have fun trying to solve the riddle. Don't worry Blind Mew, it wouldn't be telling. I hope you all give some thought to this idea, because each month, us pirates would be tuning in to the same Bat time and same Bat channel for the prize. ARRRRR
Now THIS is really clever. I just love the idea.
Whacha think Dev's

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Butterblitz on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
Ooh that sounds fun :D

Ensign
Jun 23, 2012
As a side note to this idea, I believe this will be beneficial to both, you all at KI and also to us as well. Please let me explain. As P101 progresses into the future, I'm sure there are plans to incorporate more pets and hybrids into the mix. Now with the abundance of pets that we have already and the low morph rate that has been established, the more combos and trail and errors there will be. I'm sure there will be future plans of one day having hybrid + first gen pets = brand new hybrids, or hybrid + hybrid = brand new hybrid. I, for one, love to see the new designs that you all come up with. Not only the look of the hybrids or pets but also how they perform on the battle boards and also the talents and powers that can be unlocked. To me it would sure be a waste of hard work that your art department and production staff go through just to have a hybrid sit dormant in the computer files. With the riddle idea, we would be given a scrambled blueprint to follow and you all can develop the hybrid morphs 3, 4, or 5 hybrids deep. Lets fight for the rights of these pets so we can breathe new life into them and have them join us on our pirate's saga.

Community Leader
Argh, me likey! A round of yum, everyone, for this great idea!

Need help with Ships, Companions, Pets, Gear? Pirate101 Skyways has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Ensign
May 16, 2011
Agree with this idea. It would be nice to just have a little push in the right direction here and there.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
EMC99 on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
Interesting idea. I am fine without knowing hybrid combinations. In my opinion, people try and find hybrids too much, wasting there time. Having the Kingsisle team influence pirates to find hybrids would just raise the chaos. In my opinion, it is more fun to try and get a pet with desirable talents and powers and good stats.
Not wanting to participate in finding exciting new hybrids is totally your decision, absolutely A-OK and a respected choice!

But one thing to keep in mind is that for many in the game, they don't have much of anything else to do or to accomplish...or to captivate their attention. Many players have maxed out all or most classes of pirates and have farmed until Reno Yokujin & Maki Izumi came home and until Inoshishi Necromancers flew.

For a lot of players, the pirating sense of adventure had flown the Cooper's Roost due to nothing new being presented to them. For many, although frustrating at times, the needle in the haystack that is Morphing for Hybrids, helped restore that sense of adventure. Sure it's not for everyone, can be teeth grinding and a super expensive hobby- but that is why KI made it 100% optional in terms of playing the game and following the storyline. And like you, I also like to morph to get a pet with great talents, powers and stats................ but my pirate-y adventurous side sure likes trying to unveil a new Hybrid as well.

I personally think that Butterblitz clever idea would only help bring even more adventure back to the Spiral. So many of us players are, at least in our minds, the second coming of Sherlock Holmes and what better way to put our investigative skills on display than to unravel some pet DNA riddles that lead could possibly lead to creating a new hybrid? It's a fun and creative idea that would get more players involved in reading the newsletters and more onboard the morphing train....er, ship!

And I know that morphing has been frustrating a lot of players due to the high costs and high failure rates, but let's face it- anything worth discovering should, at minimum, require a lot of hard work, trial & error, numerous failed attempts, frustrations and tears of pain...and joy once those discoveries are made. I have read a lot of negative and frustrating feedback in regards to the morphing/hybrid system, but in all fairness to KI- it has only been Live for a few short weeks. I can only imagine the groans and rolling over in the graves of the many great thinkers and scientific minds that toiled for years and even decades in their exhaustive searches for new discoveries.

Ok, so I got sidetracked....so what's new!

In regards to my previous being statements, this is just a game and nobody wants to be overly frustrated by a game when real life presents so many frustrations. So Butterblitz idea would help alleviate or at least curtail some of these Morphing/Hybrid frustrations and would set us pirates a new course for adventure without just giving us handouts and answers.

And that me mates, is music to a pirates ears!

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
I absolutely love the idea! Just a simple explanation can give us ideas one who we need to breed to get this certain pet. Not only would it be fun, but it will also be a new path to discovery!

Developer
Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Ratbeard on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Neat idea!
:O an idea that Ratbeard likes!

Perhaps that means that we may get this? Just a theory

Ensign
Jun 23, 2012
Ratbeard on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Neat idea!
Thanks for the complement Ratty ol' boy