Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Rollie Pollies

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
In a few words, I don't like them.

From what I can see, no quest wants you to defeat them, they basically reduce the amount of another creature that you do need to get from appearing in a fight.

Two things, however, made me really get me going against them:

In a quest in Cool Ranch, I needed to attack hornets in the skyway. So, before, when I went after the hornets, I got 3 or four hornets. Now, I get two or three hornets and 2 rollie pollies. Wait a second... Rollie pollies can't fly. They are not parasites on these hornets either. So, where did they come from? Makes no sense.

But what I really object to is by reducing the number of a target creature in a fight, on quests that require drops, you drastically reduce the drop rate as well. In the quest to get scorpions for castanets, I have to gather 8. My first fight with them had me facing only two scorpions, and two rollie pollies. Okay, this is on land, so the rollie pollies at least make sense. But after the fight, how many castanets did I get? None. NONE?? How many of these fights am I going to have to do to get eight??

Ensign
Sep 19, 2008
I see what you mean. Rollie pollies were added I think to add to the desert style of a place, but they can be relatively annoying!

-Elizabeth, Witchdoctor level 65

Lieutenant
May 19, 2013
Rollie pollies? Am I thinking of a different type? Do you mean the insect? Since when do they show up at those battles?? I didn't get one

Admiral
May 30, 2010
jesusfollower363 on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
Rollie pollies? Am I thinking of a different type? Do you mean the insect? Since when do they show up at those battles?? I didn't get one
Actually a type of crustacean, but yeah, those roly-polies. They added them to Cool Ranch, possibly to increase the annoyance factor of my absolutely least favorite world. But you can fight them in Santa Pollo on the Banditoad trail dealing with scorpions or in either Big Sky or Tumbleweed when you need to beat up hornets.

Actually, anywhere you fight any other arthropod, I think you get a crack at getting a roly-poly or two. And they are nasty at the appropriate level, but cute.

Petty Officer
Aug 27, 2010
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Actually, I think they are quite cute. Tough, but cute. Although they are gigantic versions of the little rollie pollies (also called woodlice or pillbugs, etc.) you find in soil, they remind me more of trilobites... and I love trilobites. The trilobite analogy would explain why you find them in the skyway, as the ancient seas (in real life) used to have tons of them.

Ensign
Feb 02, 2013
I don't have issues with them personally, but they should at least have a quest or something involving them.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
jerran123169 on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
I don't have issues with them personally, but they should at least have a quest or something involving them.
That would be nice, even though it would require going back to <shudder> Cool Ranch.

Wouldn't mind one as a pet, either.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Are they available as drops? If so, I would really like one ( I used to play with them when I was a kid ) A friend called for help in the Jolly Ranch quest - thats when I found out about them!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Yay!!!I'm not the only trilobite fanatic!!!Yay!!!

Actually,I do have a fossil of a trilobite in my house,and I think they're amazing arthropods,mainly because I love their shells,and their complex cephalons,as well as the mystery of the fact that it's an extinct species,with nothing left but fossils and...

No,no,no,no,no,I'm not hijacking the thread,what makes you say that?

Anyways,I like the Rollie Pollies,they look unusual,and they look like little armadillos(probably because they share some stuff,when it comes to the animations).I'd love one as a pet,or a non-sapient companion.

Though,the first time I fought them,they were overwhelming.Mainly because they were level 20,I was level 18,and my crew was mostly level 13 .

Not sure if I helped at all.

A big thank you to One Eyed Jack for posting this,and moderating it!!!!!

Ensign
Jul 04, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
Actually, I think they are quite cute. Tough, but cute. Although they are gigantic versions of the little rollie pollies (also called woodlice or pillbugs, etc.) you find in soil, they remind me more of trilobites... and I love trilobites. The trilobite analogy would explain why you find them in the skyway, as the ancient seas (in real life) used to have tons of them.
wait, I thought wood lice are termites

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
Yay!!!I'm not the only trilobite fanatic!!!Yay!!!

Actually,I do have a fossil of a trilobite in my house,and I think they're amazing arthropods,mainly because I love their shells,and their complex cephalons,as well as the mystery of the fact that it's an extinct species,with nothing left but fossils and...

No,no,no,no,no,I'm not hijacking the thread,what makes you say that?

Anyways,I like the Rollie Pollies,they look unusual,and they look like little armadillos(probably because they share some stuff,when it comes to the animations).I'd love one as a pet,or a non-sapient companion.

Though,the first time I fought them,they were overwhelming.Mainly because they were level 20,I was level 18,and my crew was mostly level 13 .

Not sure if I helped at all.

A big thank you to One Eyed Jack for posting this,and moderating it!!!!!
Funny and true story for you, Felix. One day I was over at a friend's house with another friend and the subject turned to fossils. She has several on display in her home, plants and tiny sea urchins, then she said she had a large trilobite on her back porch. Well, of course we wanted to see it. we went over to the very large rock ( she had it upside down to protect it from the elements ) we flipped it over and a horde of rolliie -pollies were revealed! Friend #1 : Eeek! Friend #2: Eeek! Myself: Wow, cool! ( and ) aren't they cute!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have only had one pirate go through Cool Ranch since they were introduced, and I did not notice I was slowed down that much by fewer drops. Perhaps they adjusted the drop rate? Or maybe I was just lucky or misremembered how long it took for my other characters.

-Indigo

Ensign
Nov 01, 2012
i want one as a PET!!!! they sound adroable (dat face though)
sigh i'll settle for the armadillo

Jason carter Buccaneer