Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Various Fixes to Companion Mistakes.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 06, 2009
Throughout the Spiral, our pirate meets many creatures that assist us in our ultimate goal towards El Dorado. Then sometimes we get some that we wish we had never truly gotten. These Companions are an elite list that includes the sweet shoulder muscles of the Water Mole Slingman, the Heavy Axe of the Chicken Miner, and the chomping jaws of our Animal Companions.

Now let’s be honest... Some companions are just awful. Even good companions have powers and talents that are all around counter-productive. The new companion ordering system has compensated for this greatly, but I still feel that better can be done with even the worst of companions.

I will start with the best companion that has a mistake... Bonnie Anne. Bonnie Anne is one of my personal favourites that will most likely always be within my top three companions, but one thing that quite often bothers me is when she uses Stock Assault. We all have those moments when our companions are close to death… Bonnie has less than a hundred health left, she is about to die, and Rooke decides to attack her. She then pulls off an amazing dodge, and you feel on top of the world! She then decides to pull off her Stock Assualt, and get "Vengeance Strike'd" to death. This is a problem I have often faced, and I believe it can be fixed by simply adding a "Knockback" effect to her Epic. If the enemy attacks next to a wall, or attacks with an enemy/friend behind them, they simply bounce off of the object/player to the back, adding a small amount of damage to the both of them. The enemy is able to then use Vengeance Strike. This would force the player to be a lot more strategic in battle positioning with Bonnie, and also just makes more sense. The power would stay the same as it is currently strong enough.

Bat Masterson is currently the worst of the Magnificent Six in my opinion. His accuracy is really low in comparison to the others (which should be expected), but he is not able to compensate for this like other companions with his foot speed. I love this because it makes him unique, but I believe he needs a little bit more to allow him to become useful. "He's as quiet as a shadow, and a better tracker than a bloodhound." This would suggest two things.

One: Bat Masterson should be able to walk around unseen by his enemies. This is why I believe he should start off with Walk in Shadows, and upon upgrade to Vampire Hero gain Walk in Darkness. Not only does it make sense in context, but it is just really cool to have a Vampire that also doubles as a Ninja, haha.

Two: With the new additions of Pet Talents, I feel it makes sense for Bat Masterson to acquire the “Scent” Epic. It would be best called “The Sixth Sense.” This Epic would allow him to “debuff” the opposing enemy’s Hidden when it walks by.

These two additions would make him the most unique companion out there, only being useful in certain situations. The companions that are worse will be posted once this post properly goes through moderation.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Un pirata de Espan... on May 11, 2014 wrote:
Throughout the Spiral, our pirate meets many creatures that assist us in our ultimate goal towards El Dorado. Then sometimes we get some that we wish we had never truly gotten. These Companions are an elite list that includes the sweet shoulder muscles of the Water Mole Slingman, the Heavy Axe of the Chicken Miner, and the chomping jaws of our Animal Companions.

Now let’s be honest... Some companions are just awful. Even good companions have powers and talents that are all around counter-productive. The new companion ordering system has compensated for this greatly, but I still feel that better can be done with even the worst of companions.

I will start with the best companion that has a mistake... Bonnie Anne. Bonnie Anne is one of my personal favourites that will most likely always be within my top three companions, but one thing that quite often bothers me is when she uses Stock Assault. We all have those moments when our companions are close to death… Bonnie has less than a hundred health left, she is about to die, and Rooke decides to attack her. She then pulls off an amazing dodge, and you feel on top of the world! She then decides to pull off her Stock Assualt, and get "Vengeance Strike'd" to death. This is a problem I have often faced, and I believe it can be fixed by simply adding a "Knockback" effect to her Epic. If the enemy attacks next to a wall, or attacks with an enemy/friend behind them, they simply bounce off of the object/player to the back, adding a small amount of damage to the both of them. The enemy is able to then use Vengeance Strike. This would force the player to be a lot more strategic in battle positioning with Bonnie, and also just makes more sense. The power would stay the same as it is currently strong enough.

Bat Masterson is currently the worst of the Magnificent Six in my opinion. His accuracy is really low in comparison to the others (which should be expected), but he is not able to compensate for this like other companions with his foot speed. I love this because it makes him unique, but I believe he needs a little bit more to allow him to become useful. "He's as quiet as a shadow, and a better tracker than a bloodhound." This would suggest two things.

One: Bat Masterson should be able to walk around unseen by his enemies. This is why I believe he should start off with Walk in Shadows, and upon upgrade to Vampire Hero gain Walk in Darkness. Not only does it make sense in context, but it is just really cool to have a Vampire that also doubles as a Ninja, haha.

Two: With the new additions of Pet Talents, I feel it makes sense for Bat Masterson to acquire the “Scent” Epic. It would be best called “The Sixth Sense.” This Epic would allow him to “debuff” the opposing enemy’s Hidden when it walks by.

These two additions would make him the most unique companion out there, only being useful in certain situations. The companions that are worse will be posted once this post properly goes through moderation.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for Bat's "Scent epic". There are so many ways to remove hidden as it is, plus, seeing as witchdoctors who get him have the most aoes of any class, it's a waste for them. Maybe a talent like "Bloodthirsty" seeing as he's a vampire. It would increase the damage he deals on any unit under half hp, like turn the tide almost.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Un pirata de Espan... on May 11, 2014 wrote:

I like your suggestions very much, they're thoughtful and don't unbalance the character! Very well done

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
I am a witchdoctor, so i have always depended on my companions. Since the new update, you all know, you have to wait half an hour to heal your companions. And sometimes, when I'm fighting and I know I'm not going to win, I flee while my companions are still alive. But for some reason, when I flee and they have low health, I have to wait and heal them although they were alive. I don't know what it is exactly, but I think that the computer calculates the enemies' next moves and does the damage to the companions after fleeing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
AndrewDeathblade11... on May 16, 2014 wrote:
I am a witchdoctor, so i have always depended on my companions. Since the new update, you all know, you have to wait half an hour to heal your companions. And sometimes, when I'm fighting and I know I'm not going to win, I flee while my companions are still alive. But for some reason, when I flee and they have low health, I have to wait and heal them although they were alive. I don't know what it is exactly, but I think that the computer calculates the enemies' next moves and does the damage to the companions after fleeing.
Hi Andrew, welcome to the message boards.
I thought I remembered reading in an update that fleeing will cause a companion to require bed rest but I could not find it in my re reading of them. Hmmm. I also got pulled into a fight while realm hopping to get a screen shot of a group plunder chest in an solo cave and I chose to flee with no effect on my companions. Perhaps this only factors when their health is below a certain point?
Maybe Ratbeard can enlighten us?