Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Top Classes once test updates hit live?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
What classes do you think will dominate in pvp when the test realm updates go to live realm? Personally i think it will be somewhat along the lines of this.
1.Witchdoctors
2.Swashbucklers
2.Musketeers
4.Buccaneers
4.Privateers.
Witchdoctors are number one because the sheer amount of buff changes had little to no effect on them. With classes losing their buffs faster now, witchdoctors with more debuffs will reign supreme. The majority of their debuffs actually work now (Davy jones' reach actually reduces critical by -25%), plus they were quite skilled in pvp before the update.
Swashbucklers are second because they didn't get anything lessened, they had no all team buffs for stats like agility, strength or will. The critical buffs they had have been imporved, shadowdance lasting for 10 rounds as opposed to 3 it was before. With leviathan's call now at 5 rounds, there will be less ways to reduce swashbucklers' main damage, allowing them to shine. With the reduce of the turns for accuracy and dodge buffs, it'll be harder to hit swashbucklers with their high dodge.
Musketeers have tons of traps and bombs which will help stall for time, ruining the enemies' buffs which are now much shorter than before. They were still quite good in pvp before the update, and with leviathan's call, the only defense from musketeer attacks, at 5 rounds they'll deal more damage at a more effecient rate.
Buccaneers were never bad at pvp, just underrated. They won't be as great as before, seeing as leviathan's calls' duration has been reduced, however their sheer strength and destructive power against witchdoctors and musketeers (Low strength units) makes them decent.
Privateers were probably the best class before the update. Now, more strategy is needed to master the class. (Yes i said it, Problem? :P) Before it was ZEAL-CRITICAL BUFF-ESPIRIT-FORTRESS-PWNAGE!!! But now the length of these buffs have been severely lowered, making time of the escence for all privateers.
So what do you think? Please tell me :D .

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 32

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DeathWiz101378 on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
What classes do you think will dominate in pvp when the test realm updates go to live realm? Personally i think it will be somewhat along the lines of this.
1.Witchdoctors
2.Swashbucklers
2.Musketeers
4.Buccaneers
4.Privateers.
Witchdoctors are number one because the sheer amount of buff changes had little to no effect on them. With classes losing their buffs faster now, witchdoctors with more debuffs will reign supreme. The majority of their debuffs actually work now (Davy jones' reach actually reduces critical by -25%), plus they were quite skilled in pvp before the update.
Swashbucklers are second because they didn't get anything lessened, they had no all team buffs for stats like agility, strength or will. The critical buffs they had have been imporved, shadowdance lasting for 10 rounds as opposed to 3 it was before. With leviathan's call now at 5 rounds, there will be less ways to reduce swashbucklers' main damage, allowing them to shine. With the reduce of the turns for accuracy and dodge buffs, it'll be harder to hit swashbucklers with their high dodge.
Musketeers have tons of traps and bombs which will help stall for time, ruining the enemies' buffs which are now much shorter than before. They were still quite good in pvp before the update, and with leviathan's call, the only defense from musketeer attacks, at 5 rounds they'll deal more damage at a more effecient rate.
Buccaneers were never bad at pvp, just underrated. They won't be as great as before, seeing as leviathan's calls' duration has been reduced, however their sheer strength and destructive power against witchdoctors and musketeers (Low strength units) makes them decent.
Privateers were probably the best class before the update. Now, more strategy is needed to master the class. (Yes i said it, Problem? :P) Before it was ZEAL-CRITICAL BUFF-ESPIRIT-FORTRESS-PWNAGE!!! But now the length of these buffs have been severely lowered, making time of the escence for all privateers.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Thanks for sharing, but, after reading these kinds of posts for a couple of months; I'm beginning to think its a waste of time. All the classes have strengths and weaknesses, all are great, viable and playable to any strategy. Ratings - meh, who needs them?

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
1.Witchdoctors
2.Swashbucklers
2.Musketeers
4.Buccaneers
4.Privateers.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
I agree with ya 100%, and I don't usually do that too often when it comes to PVP discussions with classes.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for sharing, but, after reading these kinds of posts for a couple of months; I'm beginning to think its a waste of time. All the classes have strengths and weaknesses, all are great, viable and playable to any strategy. Ratings - meh, who needs them?
I agree, all classes are equal, and a lot more equalized now in the update, now buffs have to be savored a bit more. And I didn't notice swashbuckler's buff on critical get bigger, but still, it's on 1 person. But I guess due to stereotypical mindsets on the majority of folks, swashbucklers will get a kickstart. Now witchdoctors are also debatable. The majority I meet lose due to bad strategy, they just charge with companions and randomly hit people with infinite range attacks, trust me, I myself as a level 51 do a lot better than most of my magical in-game cousins, because I do neither. Which is kind of sad IMO. But still, ALL classes need a good brain in their skull to steer properly. As always, brains beat brawn.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
1.Witchdoctors
2.Swashbucklers
2.Musketeers
4.Buccaneers
4.Privateers.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
I still rank Musketeers higher than Swashbucklers. Privateers won't see that much of a drop-off. I guess I would rank them as follows...1. Privateers 2. Musketeers 3. Witchdoctors 4. Swashbucklers 5. Buccaneers

My reasoning is that Privateers still have lots of healing and are able to get good attacks from gear drops. Their critical buffs affect their whole team. Musketeers have lots of mutli-attacks and can damage several enemies with each attack. Musketeers also benefit from better gear drops than most other classes and some still use the Dragoon Autocannon which can end it real quick for an enemy unit when Megablast hits for three thousand. Witchdoctors debuffs would be a waste of a turn I think. Swashbucklers bread and butter talents like First Strike and Riposte don't work against ranged attacks and that is where they deal most of their damage. Buccaneers are underrated but also still pretty much the same. The difference between the classes is minor and any class can be successful with the right strategy but there are slight advantages for some.

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
1. Musketeer/Witchdoctor.
3. Privateer
4. Swashbuckler
5. Buccaneer

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on Apr 26, 2014 wrote:
I still rank Musketeers higher than Swashbucklers. Privateers won't see that much of a drop-off. I guess I would rank them as follows...1. Privateers 2. Musketeers 3. Witchdoctors 4. Swashbucklers 5. Buccaneers

My reasoning is that Privateers still have lots of healing and are able to get good attacks from gear drops. Their critical buffs affect their whole team. Musketeers have lots of mutli-attacks and can damage several enemies with each attack. Musketeers also benefit from better gear drops than most other classes and some still use the Dragoon Autocannon which can end it real quick for an enemy unit when Megablast hits for three thousand. Witchdoctors debuffs would be a waste of a turn I think. Swashbucklers bread and butter talents like First Strike and Riposte don't work against ranged attacks and that is where they deal most of their damage. Buccaneers are underrated but also still pretty much the same. The difference between the classes is minor and any class can be successful with the right strategy but there are slight advantages for some.
privateers will see a HUGE drop off

before update:
1)privateers
2)witch dr
3)swashbuckler
4)musket
5)buccaneer

after update:
1)swashbuckler
2)witch dr
3)musket
4)buccaneer
5)privateer

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Agreed.

Actually, I think some classes do better against some classes.
For example, a Musketeer would do better against a Swashbuckler, but maybe not so much Privateer or Buccaneer, or even Witchdoctor.

Mostly it depends on the strategy of the person.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
zuto4011a on Apr 26, 2014 wrote:
privateers will see a HUGE drop off

before update:
1)privateers
2)witch dr
3)swashbuckler
4)musket
5)buccaneer

after update:
1)swashbuckler
2)witch dr
3)musket
4)buccaneer
5)privateer
Yikes. Your before ranking was a little off so your after ranking is also. I don't know any Swashbucklers who could beat my Musketeer...even my own Swashbuckler lol. Maybe your right about Privateers. I just started one and it is now level 36. In anticipation of the update I have been tweaking the strategy I use with my Privateer and the only difficulty I foresee is having to use your buffs more efficiently. They will still be a great class and a close second to Musketeers if not first. A Swashbuckler was my first pirate and I love that class but no way would I rank them first.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
1.Witchdoctors
2.Swashbucklers
2.Musketeers
4.Buccaneers
4.Privateers.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
you know, i was about to start a thread on this, but it looks like ya beat me to it. for the most part, i totally agree with you. privs being weakened was the best step taken, certainly, and they managed to do it without wrecking the class. with their heals, shields, and WILL-related abilities fully intact, they have nothing to complain about. in fact, i would go so far as to say that the classes are close to, if not, perfectly balanced. some classes certainly hold an advantage over others, but with buff-dominating privateers slightly debuffed, we will see a much more competetive spar and brawl hall. personally, on my swash, i can beat WDs without too much trouble, the trick, quite honestly, is straight up rush 'em before they have a chance and use your best attacks to take the WD player out. once they are gone, the rest of the fight is cleanup. i wont go into greater detail, but i think KI hit the nail on the head with this one.

Matthew Walker 65
Sly Sloan Silver 65
Matthew Walker 20

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Here is my opinon below,here it goes.

Currently

1.Buccaneer
2.Swashbuckler
3.Witchdoctor
4.Musketeer
5.Privater

Buccaneers is currently the most dominating class of the five, due to theire brute strength and high health. While Privateers is last in place, due to low damages,currently in my opinon. I noticed Buccaneer did remain on top since the first generations, while the rest of the class went up and down in ranking.

After the update
1.Swashbuckler
2.Musketeer
3.Buccaneer
4.Witchdoctor
5.Privater

For the first time since the first generations Buccaneers is outranked by two classes Swashbucklers are now faster,have higher health and sneakier,when the test realm goes live.Musketeers have gained stronger damages and higher dodges a huge jump from theire historic stats. Buccaneer still the strongest in physical damages,but remained the same, as well as witchdoctors,but stronger magic damages and shockingly stronger phsyical damages, witch this class don't usually do. Even though Privateers now have stronger damages it still on the bottom,after all this generations. But since it will be another month before it goes live, this ranking can change. Who knows maybe our privateer(s),may be come the top class.

Unlike wizards in my opinon, pirates dominates each other even their own class, in my opinon.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Monkrinx2024 on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:

Currently

1.Buccaneer
2.Swashbuckler
3.Witchdoctor
4.Musketeer
5.Privater

Buccaneers is currently the most dominating class of the five, due to theire brute strength and high health. While Privateers is last in place, due to low damages,currently in my opinon. I noticed Buccaneer did remain on top since the first generations, while the rest of the class went up and down in ranking.

After the update
1.Swashbuckler
2.Musketeer
3.Buccaneer
4.Witchdoctor
5.Privater

For the first time since the first generations Buccaneers is outranked by two classes Swashbucklers are now faster,have higher health and sneakier,when the test realm goes live.Musketeers have gained stronger damages and higher dodges a huge jump from theire historic stats. Buccaneer still the strongest in physical damages,but remained the same, as well as witchdoctors,but stronger magic damages and shockingly stronger phsyical damages, witch this class don't usually do. Even though Privateers now have stronger damages it still on the bottom,after all this generations. But since it will be another month before it goes live, this ranking can change. Who knows maybe our privateer(s),may be come the top class.

Unlike wizards in my opinon, pirates dominates each other even their own class, in my opinon.
Wait, what? Who exactly have you been facing in pvp? Buccaneers were widely agreed to be the worst class before the update, and privateers were the bottom. Your first list is almost upside down, if it were turned the other way it would be:
1.Privateer
2.Musketeer
3.Witchdoctor
4.Swashbuckler
5.Musketeer
That ^^ is something i agree with, no offense though.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
Monkrinx2024 on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:

Currently

1.Buccaneer
2.Swashbuckler
3.Witchdoctor
4.Musketeer
5.Privater

After the update
1.Swashbuckler
2.Musketeer
3.Buccaneer
4.Witchdoctor
5.Privater

Brute force isn't the entire battle, strategy is. Any class arrangement is all based on opinion. Sure, I can agree to one or another, but it's all a matter of opinion. Just remember that :)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on May 1, 2014 wrote:
Wait, what? Who exactly have you been facing in pvp? Buccaneers were widely agreed to be the worst class before the update, and privateers were the bottom. Your first list is almost upside down, if it were turned the other way it would be:
1.Privateer
2.Musketeer
3.Witchdoctor
4.Swashbuckler
5.Musketeer
You listed musketeers twice.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
1.Privateer
2.Musketeer
3.Witchdoctor
4.Swashbuckler
5.Musketeer
Ok dude...make up your mind about us Musketeers. Are we 2nd or 5th? Lol. I agree with you unless you intentionally ranked us Musketeers last. That's an opinion I could change for you. Privateers are easily the dominating class in pvp right now. There really is no question. You may stand a chance in 1v1 but in team play a team with 2 or more Privateers on it can't be beat unless it is by other Privateers.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2012
you forgot to add the buccaneer

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
1.Witchdoctors
2.Swashbucklers
2.Musketeers
4.Buccaneers
4.Privateers.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
highly disagree, i dont believe in that stuff (poor 's ) lol i am a

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on Apr 27, 2014 wrote:
Yikes. Your before ranking was a little off so your after ranking is also. I don't know any Swashbucklers who could beat my Musketeer...even my own Swashbuckler lol. Maybe your right about Privateers. I just started one and it is now level 36. In anticipation of the update I have been tweaking the strategy I use with my Privateer and the only difficulty I foresee is having to use your buffs more efficiently. They will still be a great class and a close second to Musketeers if not first. A Swashbuckler was my first pirate and I love that class but no way would I rank them first.
with the new updates swashbuckler will easily be the best if they have the skill, unless they encounter a witch dr with the correct gear

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
1.Privateer
2.Musketeer
3.Witchdoctor
4.Swashbuckler
5.Musketeer
There's no buccaneer on that list, there's 2 But no . And btw no ones on top we all have our ups and downs and I have a friend who pvps ALLOT and he says buccs are a good opponent to a We can fight, just depends if we know how. You see a Max With good gear he's well, let's just say... Not someone I want to meet in a dark ally. We got stuff but most of us it seems don't know how to use it. But like I said we all have our ups and downs so whatever \_o.o_/

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Darn it, lol. I meant to write:
1.Privateer
2.Musketeers
3.Witchdoctors
4.Swashbucklers
5.Buccaneers.
But you guys should have known that, i did say his list upsided down, i wasn't paying attention and made a typo.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Though i agree all classes can each beat each other and have strengths and weaknesses, i'm slightly getting annoyed of hearing people say that. I know that a buccaneer with great gear can beat a privateer, but i'd still like to know people's opinions on things.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
You can't rate the Pirate101 classes in PvP because they each have certain advantages over the other one as intended. Each class has its weak spots, but also has its own strong points, thriving in situations where the other four will struggle. Just like you can't really say there's a strongest Pokémon type, you can't say there's a strongest Pirate101 class.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DeathWiz101378 on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Darn it, lol. I meant to write:
1.Privateer
2.Musketeers
3.Witchdoctors
4.Swashbucklers
5.Buccaneers.
But you guys should have known that, i did say his list upsided down, i wasn't paying attention and made a typo.
Yesh! Again people are listing Swashbucklers and buccaneers at the bottom. Why? For melee attacks SBs and Buccs lead. I've said before that I don't believe in rankings, however here's my tuppence worth -

For Melee:
1. Buccaneers and Swashbucklers
2. Witchdoctors ( they do have some melee attacks )

For Ranged:
!. Musketeers and Witchdoctors

Privateers have a catagory all their own; their strengths are buffs and heals,. Normally they have no melee attacks and only a few ranged. Of course, farming gives them a chance at these style attacks.

So in a melee situation a swashbuckler can attack and bring down a musketeer or witchdoctor in several rounds. Due to a high dodge the SB will be able to avoid most attacks. The bucc was designed to take damage while dealing it, and don't forget the armor.

In a ranged situation, musketeers and witchdoctors will deal out damage before the melee fighter gets to them.

The privateer fights best by buffing their companions, they become his/her's weapons.

This is why, to me, that rankings are absolutely useless. This is also my opinion only. But I find this subject divisive.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Before I start out explaining what I think, I have never been on the test realm, and I am basing this list from all the stuff I have read. Firstly it seems that the PvP arena has become considerably smaller (how smaller I do not know), swashbucklers have had a critical increase duration in the shadowdance series, and that spells that have lasted for 10 durations have been reduced to 3. I have never test realmed PvP, but based from what I see I believe the class order will be like this. I am also thrilled to say that I believe we have near perfect balance between some classes:

1.) Musketeers:
Considering the PvP Area has reduced, the ratio of thier traps (has this been reduced to 3 turns?) and infinite duration bombs (has this also been reduced duration wise?) will be a massive threat to anyone really. Team up with thier Louis Le Bisque, and they would have covered a majority floor with traps.

2.) Privateers:
Probably the class affected the greatest. Still, they possess thier heals and thier gear is excellent. 3 turns is still lethal, but 10 was a neverending nightmare. Also they still shine, and could also reclaim the no1 position on my list if I see them once I see them.

3.) Tie Between Swashes and Witches
Swashes, the class who has no real team buff, are the least affected class. In fact they have a critical spell upgrade, which is fairly nice. Witches have thier Juju's reduced I presume, but now that the arena is smaller, everything becomes easier for them. They can use thier AoE Mojo Storms better and be more effiencent in a smaller space.

4.) Bucks.
I do not know for sure, but bucks had a lot of 10 spell buffs, that are now reduced to 3. I think they should be the only class who still have thier buffs. Its fair since it will give them a chance to shine more.

I don't PvP anymore, so my judgement should not be one to trust fully.

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
we are all great in the pirate101 there is no need to fight
~romantic rebbeca ivring krokotopia pirate