Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Do any of you Swashbucklers use Shadowdance?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
At first I was excited when I got Shadowdance (+2 critical chance). But after trying it out many times I noticed almost no increase in criticals during those 3 rounds, AND it takes away a turn to cast. So it seems a total waste of a turn to me when I could be doing at least normal damage instead. Does anyone regularly have a different experience with Shadowdance?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Vicious J on Mar 21, 2014 wrote:
At first I was excited when I got Shadowdance (+2 critical chance). But after trying it out many times I noticed almost no increase in criticals during those 3 rounds, AND it takes away a turn to cast. So it seems a total waste of a turn to me when I could be doing at least normal damage instead. Does anyone regularly have a different experience with Shadowdance?
Shadowdance is totally worth it, remember some of the powers are also random. I have no problems getting crits, keep trying!

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Vicious J on Mar 21, 2014 wrote:
I use it all the time. The key for me with Shadowdance is placement. I need to be surrounded by enemies (preferably melee enemies), usually after getting into position with a poison. While you may think you are wasting a turn by casting it....it does increase your chances of critical hits. Remember, every Riposte you successfully do with high dodge is an attempt to hit and if Shadowdance is up that is a chance for a critical each time. Your normal hit is actually less potential damage.

The only issue I have encountered with this strategy is the Swashbuckler talent Peaceful, where enemies are less likely to attack you. To counter this, I keep up Gallant Defense while Shadowdance is active.

I'm so hoping for an ability/power to increase threat temporarily!

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
well it is a pretty AWESOME power. i use it all the time, and another good thing is that after you use it, its almost sure that it will make you do a critical for like the next two five of six rounds, but only the sword attacks. the shadowdance or grand shadowdance will in no way effect any magic attacks, i think

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
Hi

I'm sure some other people have given you some answers, but on my swashbuckler I usually use shadow dance or grand shadow dance before I attack because I consider that any chance for a critical is worth taking. You could also test it out and see how much more you end up getting a critical when using shadow dance ( or grand shadow dance) and how much you critical without it. I hope this helped you some, or anyone else reading this.

Noble Ryan Thompson