Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What's the dealio with Jim Masterson?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 18, 2012
WAAAZAAAAAP!! Anywho, I have Jim Masterson as a companion and he really just makes me beg to ask a some questions:
1. What type of creature is he? On his companion card it says he is "Jim Masterson" (I wish I was joking, but it's true. Apparently he is his own specimen.)
2. Getting him as a companion is the same as getting Bat Masterson as a companion, so why bother? Why not just get Bat Masterson as a companion?
3. As stated in the last question he is the same as Bat Masterson, so why doesn't he get a promotion at same level as Bat has to promote?
He is actually a fairly strong companion and he also does a lot of critical hits. For anyone who's wondering, Privateers get Jim Masterson as a companion after helping him out in Fort McMurtry.
So yeah, One-Eyed Jack or anyone, please answer me questions and diffuse my curiosity.

Level 55

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Hunter Kidd on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
WAAAZAAAAAP!! Anywho, I have Jim Masterson as a companion and he really just makes me beg to ask a some questions:
1. What type of creature is he? On his companion card it says he is "Jim Masterson" (I wish I was joking, but it's true. Apparently he is his own specimen.)
2. Getting him as a companion is the same as getting Bat Masterson as a companion, so why bother? Why not just get Bat Masterson as a companion?
3. As stated in the last question he is the same as Bat Masterson, so why doesn't he get a promotion at same level as Bat has to promote?
He is actually a fairly strong companion and he also does a lot of critical hits. For anyone who's wondering, Privateers get Jim Masterson as a companion after helping him out in Fort McMurtry.
So yeah, One-Eyed Jack or anyone, please answer me questions and diffuse my curiosity.

Level 55
1. A vampire
2. I will answer this with another question. Would you like 2 copies of El Toro in your team? Exactly, it is so you have the chance of having a duplicate member of the same companion
3. I don't know why but maybe OEJ knows

Developer
In he real Old West, Bartholemew "Bat" Masterson had a brother named James. Based on Bat's name, we couldn't resist making him a Wiz101-style Vampire. Having Jim be a different species seemed a little weird, so he's a Vampire Lawman too.

1) He's a Vampire, as they look in Wiz101.

2) The other members of the Magnificent 7 are all awarded at the end of the Tumbleweed book, and Bat goes to a different class. This was a way to spread the love around, as it were.

3) Promotions aren't based on the Companion's powers or capabilities, they're based on time. The fact that you get him in Book 10 instead of Book 9 is reason enough for a discrepancy all by itself.

Ensign
Nov 18, 2012
thanks guys for your responses!
@Rachel Dreamsong sorry I probably should have clarified, I meant instead of getting Jim why not just get Bat. I didn't mean get both. :P

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Hunter Kidd on Mar 20, 2014 wrote:
thanks guys for your responses!
@Rachel Dreamsong sorry I probably should have clarified, I meant instead of getting Jim why not just get Bat. I didn't mean get both. :P
My guess would be because of "The other brother syndrome" How would you like to go through your whole life in the Spiral always being know as "Bat Masterson's Brother"? Jim was a fine lawman in his own right and this way he gets his chance to be his own bat and strike out on some crews all on his own and make a name for himself. Then the crews that serve with him upon meeting Bat, will say "Aren't you Jim Masterson's brother?"