Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Stupendor-X?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
ok KI, i gotta know. what on earth was the stormzilla fight with stupendor-X about? mooshu (up until then) seemed really cool and on topic. . . and then there was some crazy, off the wall fight with stormzilla in a giant robot/armor/thing. what inspired that sudden change of pace?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Blixet on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
ok KI, i gotta know. what on earth was the stormzilla fight with stupendor-X about? mooshu (up until then) seemed really cool and on topic. . . and then there was some crazy, off the wall fight with stormzilla in a giant robot/armor/thing. what inspired that sudden change of pace?
Here is how Blind Mew answered your question. Just check part 4.

Captain
May 13, 2011
Blixet on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
a stormzilla was terrorizing the valley of the titans and the stupendor-X was the only thing that could stop it

Developer
Had to jump in here (don't worry - Thread 5 hasn't been forgotten, it's just easier sometimes to grab the low hanging fruit).

Whenever we start hashing out the story of a world, one of the first things we do is make a big list of the references we want to make. For example, when doing Cool Ranch we decided very quickly that we had to do Zorro, the Lone Ranger, some version of the Magnificent Seven story, and that we wanted to refer to the great legends of the west (Wyatt Earp, etc) as much as possible.

In MooShu, we were kicking around Journey to the West, Big Trouble in Little China, and other stuff, when an idea hit me - "This is Japan - we HAVE to have a giant robot fight Godzilla." So Stupendor-X leaped entirely from my impish imagination. I thought it was funny, a heck of a gag and a very deliberate "huh?" kind of moment - El Torro's line as Stupendor revs up says it all.

If Pirate 101 were a movie, I'd always envisioned that when the really fast BAM! clips tumble by at the end, they'd mostly be ships fighting and pirates shooting and what not, but then right in the middle there'd be a giant robot smacking Stormzilla. Having the viewer go what?!?? was my exact intent. Hope it was good for a chuckle or two.

By the way, there is a rather interesting nugget of info buried in that little beat, that casts an interesting light ont he main plot as a whole. I don't recall anyone having noticed it as yet...

Ensign
Dec 10, 2011
I think that I may have noticed it...
In the Story Thread, it said that there was a society that placed the robot there... was there a society that ruled the spiral, all of it, at one point? I always thought that would be cool.

Captain
May 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Mar 10, 2014 wrote:
Had to jump in here (don't worry - Thread 5 hasn't been forgotten, it's just easier sometimes to grab the low hanging fruit).

Whenever we start hashing out the story of a world, one of the first things we do is make a big list of the references we want to make. For example, when doing Cool Ranch we decided very quickly that we had to do Zorro, the Lone Ranger, some version of the Magnificent Seven story, and that we wanted to refer to the great legends of the west (Wyatt Earp, etc) as much as possible.

In MooShu, we were kicking around Journey to the West, Big Trouble in Little China, and other stuff, when an idea hit me - "This is Japan - we HAVE to have a giant robot fight Godzilla." So Stupendor-X leaped entirely from my impish imagination. I thought it was funny, a heck of a gag and a very deliberate "huh?" kind of moment - El Torro's line as Stupendor revs up says it all.

If Pirate 101 were a movie, I'd always envisioned that when the really fast BAM! clips tumble by at the end, they'd mostly be ships fighting and pirates shooting and what not, but then right in the middle there'd be a giant robot smacking Stormzilla. Having the viewer go what?!?? was my exact intent. Hope it was good for a chuckle or two.

By the way, there is a rather interesting nugget of info buried in that little beat, that casts an interesting light ont he main plot as a whole. I don't recall anyone having noticed it as yet...
if only i had your brain

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Sneaky George Quar... on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
if only i had your brain
Yar infinity